• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Correlation between a person's writing & cognitive functions?

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
Boy, this thread derailed. lol

I hate derailed threads, so I apologise for my part in the hijinks.

Yes, I think there can be correlations, but it's more of an art than a science. I can usually tell if someone shares my type or CF, and there are overarching patterns you can pick up on. I do find that it's easier to glean someone's instinctual stacking before their MBTI type or CF.

DreamBeliever

I hate derailed threads, so I apologise for my part in the hijinks.

Yes, I think there can be correlations, but it's more of an art than a science. I can usually tell if someone shares my type or CF, and there are overarching patterns you can pick up on. I do find that it's easier to glean someone's instinctual stacking before their MBTI type or CF.
You're fine. I wasn't irritated about it. I was mostly just making an observation.

Doktorin Zylinder

What's this about INTPs? Sometimes, when I'm bored, I write. It's nothing like my technical writing, which is as dry as a California wildfire, but I find it fun. I wrote this probably six some years ago.

I think I'm going to keep this for myself, actually.

Last edited:

Stek

MBTI Type
InTJ
Do you think there's a correlation between a person's writing & cognitive functions?

Yes, there is. It is quite common that people with a more developed vocabulary also has a higher cognitive ability.

I think words have a great impact on human intelligence. Different concepts describing different aspects and nuances of the same idea open for a clearer and more complex understanding.

Linguistic capabilities even impact how we perceive the world. In France there are several different words for describing subtle differences of cheese flavor. Americans without the same linguistic ability to differentiate between these shades in flavor won't even necessarily recognize that these different flavors exist at all. If we don't have a linguistic ability to differentiate between different aspects, then we also won't have the cognitive ability to do so, and it will all become part of the same blurry experience.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Yes, there is. It is quite common that people with a more developed vocabulary also has a higher cognitive ability.

I think words have a great impact on human intelligence. Different concepts describing different aspects and nuances of the same idea open for a clearer and more complex understanding.

Linguistic capabilities even impact how we perceive the world. In France there are several different words for describing subtle differences of cheese flavor. Americans without the same linguistic ability to differentiate between these shades in flavor won't even necessarily recognize that these different flavors exist at all. If we don't have a linguistic ability to differentiate between different aspects, then we also won't have the cognitive ability to do so, and it will all become part of the same blurry experience.

Thats really interesting actually. I read somewhere before that one culture, I believe it to be the Hopi, use an entirely reference time in a way that is so removed from that in the way of the western world, that it is beleived that the construct of their understanding is just completely and fundementally different. And I am guessing as their understanding of a particular is so different from the 'common', this understanding diverges even farther into everything that they believe. Like an injection, starting in the arm but leaving its internal 'mark' all over the body

So yes, culture, experience, and time immersed, would affect the way of which language is thought and communicated. That isn't to say that if put in individually semi-similar environments(a home-city-state), in a whole and all encompassing semi-singular communal experience(a state-country-culture), there would not be individual differences in how different types communicate. Obviously people will generally tilt towards using what they are most familair with-how they internally process generally within the context of their own culture, but distinctions and conclusions do not always need to be drawn in a way that is so black and white.

Yes base functionality is undeniably present and generally I would guess pretty determinant, but teachings, motivations, and impositions would probably also need to be factored in to some extent.