• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Write Stuff: Deadline approaching

Perseus

MBTI Type
INTP
When you have to write an article, thesis, book or whatever, how do you approach it:

1) Plan it in stages, and allocate time for each page, and comply with the formulae

2) Plan it in stages, and allocate time for each page, and find that the work does not get done according to plan

3) Have a rough sketch of the outline (maybe in your head) and write as you feel like, allowing early incubation time, which makes it a rush to meet the deadline

4) Rush straight in and sort out the structure a bit later

Please indicate your personality type as I want to match them up without second guessing.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Number four.

This works for screenplays, but not for essays. They don't let me be creative, I have to have references and such so it isn't that easy to just write it through.

MBTI Type
ENTP
I go, basically, by number 3 and I'm an ENTP.

But I'd add that I don't simply write quite as I feel like... I'll spurt out two pages... then check back, get references, tighten just enough to feel like it's passable, then move on in the same fashion. It's sort of running two steps, jumping back two, then plodding ahead two... then running ahead two, then jumping back two, then plodding ahead two... etc. if that makes any sense at all to you...

The deadline thing is true though... I'd say at least 50% of my papers are handed in 10 minutes before due... though I've never handed a paper in late (2 years in college).

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
3's probably the closest although 2 can come into play at times. Basically unless I'm enthusiastic about the project it probably won't get done or will be a rush job :blush:

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Thrown back and forth between 2 and 3 as a constant reaction to the other strategy. 1 and 4 never worked, I see 2 & 3 as backups for them...
What about you?

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Depends what I'm writing. If it's just a short one page report for work, then usually 4). Otherwise, 3) is what I typically do. I nearly always leave things to the last minute - the words flow much better. If I start too early, I get a combination of writer's block and crappy writing. I'm INTP.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it depends on the genre I am writing in.

But the natural instinct is 3 or 4.

Meanwhile, I have tried #1/2, and I just cannot stick to the plan. A very general framework/org is helpful, but usually I only figure out what it is by having written a draft and explored the material to begin with.

In college, I would percolate until the night before the assignment was due, then write it all in 3-6 hours

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
#3--INTJ

I relate to #2 as well. I do like to allocate time for each section, and I never ever finish according to plan. However, usually I have already procrastinated for so long that I don't have time to formally plan the structure.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm learning to accept that I'm a 3/4. I want to be a 1 but I don't think my stuff would be as good if I were.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Cross between 2 and 3, depending how motivated I am in the beginning.

I'm currently finishing research for a paper due this week, so this is relevant for me right now! This time I definitely did 2.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTJ

It depends on my mood, usually I go with 4, especially if it's for a subject I couldn't give two shits about.

If it's something I'm passionate about, chances are that I'll comply with 1 or 2.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
4, I find I get it done quicker that away instead of sitting there having to keep track of what I'm trying to say and how I'm structuring it. This is actually why I'm better writing than talking.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
When you have to write an article, thesis, book or whatever, how do you approach it:

1) Plan it in stages, and allocate time for each page, and comply with the formulae

2) Plan it in stages, and allocate time for each page, and find that the work does not get done according to plan

3) Have a rough sketch of the outline (maybe in your head) and write as you feel like, allowing early incubation time, which makes it a rush to meet the deadline

4) Rush straight in and sort out the structure a bit later

Please indicate your personality type as I want to match them up without second guessing.

INFJ

Option 3, mostly. I tend to have a rough outline, jump in and plow through it, getting everything down in one sitting (if possible) and editting and working on the structure as I go, then I leave it to sit for a few days (or a day, if I'm tight on time). After that I go back in with some giant, imaginary shears and cut out anything I don't need until I think I have the leanest bits of what I mean to say.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
3/4, but mostly 4. Get a rough idea of where I want to go and how I want to get there, let it stew in my brain, then, as the deadline approaches, barf all the ideas out, then edit, edit, edit.