• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ode to Processes: Preceiving--Se

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Se is my tertiary function so I can access it somewhat easily. As I get older it becomes more frequently used as a protective tool, and a source of fun. My Se is always working, but if I want it to be at the forefront of my mind I have to make a conscious effort to do so, or be put in a situation that requires it to be at the front. HvZ (Humans Vs. Zombies) does this quite often and my Se goes into overdrive when I am playing

As for a present moment story, I am not so good at writing things like that. I can give it a shot though. This term I am taking a physical activity class called "Challenge Course", which essentially is a team building class (I ironically detest the team building and forced group dynamic bullshit) that eventually involves climbing up 30+ft telephone poles on a belay or safety system, going down ziplines, and crossing wires high off the ground. That aspect I love. I'll write about my experience this past Monday when I got to go up on the system

-----------

I couldn't wait to climb the pole. I love heights, they're exciting. I am a closet adrenaline junkie, and I'm quite sensitive to the effects of it so it can be quite the experience. I was already getting a bit shaky hooking myself into the belay system. Funny thing about heights. I am not afraid of them, and actually like them, but my body does not like them. I'll be mentally ready to do something, but my body will shake, and it's difficult to control motion. It's telling me "you should be scared". In a strange sort of way, I like that. It's all the adrenaline talking.

As I check in, I start to ascend the poll. My attention narrows tremendously. I cease to hear who is around me. I do not see the ground. I don't see the sky or the field out in front of me. All I see is the pole I am against. All I feel is the cool metal struts in my hands, the upward tension of my harness, and the small space on the struts under my shoes. Se focuses in on what is needed only. I am in the now, for only that moment. As I ascend I feel a knocking in the back of my conscious telling me I am too high off the ground and the physical rise of anxiety creeps forth. I still do not know what is going on around aside from my own private world, and the notion of my "goal"; get to the top.

Upon reaching the top and firmly grabbing the safety of the poll my vision widens. Once again I notice the ground, the sky, the people below me and the people on the system. I can "relax" and widen the bredth of what happened, what is now, and what is to come. After a short moment of taking it in, Se knocks and says it's time to go. I hook in the crab claw system (short tethers) into the high elements line, disconnect the belay, and step forth. I look out at me and take in what I see. I don't think though, I only observe. By looking forward noticing the boards held up by 4 strings each, each in a line to create a swaying path, I suddenly understand my motions. My focus narrows again and I am only able to notice my own world, with only a small channel open if someone tries to speak to me. By body takes over and it make me move forward almost as if I am not controlling it. With each sway, balance check, and pang of anxiety and adrenaline, I move in concert forth and against it. The goal? Don't fall. Se then imparts a challenge. It realizes this is too easy for me, and tells me to let go of the ropes. Go handless. Push your limits and make it known that you can master this. One step and I instincitvely grab on. It's a challenge that can not yet be met. Onward to the next.

I reach another element line and part of the way across Se knocks again "time to fall off". Intentionally fall off the line. Experience the fall, raise the adrenaline levels, and find the fun in the fear. It's not as easy as I assumed, and Se has been slowly poking at this more and more. Once in the middle I prepare to step off and, I can't. My body refuses to let me. Se yells "do it!" yet I can't. Not yet anyway. Fe reaches out for a moment and communicates with another person across the line asking for "permission" saying "are we allowed to intentionally fall off". With this nugget, Se pushes harder and I prepare to fall off. I look at the ground 30 feet below me, and all of my focus tunnels in very narrow. Sounds lose focus, all I fee is my hand on the support rope and the wire beneath my feet. Hesitation has room no more and I let my self fall back. In that short brief moment, I am connected to nothing. The primal fear of iminent death grips hold and I tense up completely. Yet, it's exciting. I instinctively know I will be ok. It's all too much and I let out a yelp. I'm told a number of people turned to look at me. I feel the sharp tug of the harness system, and I begin to cackle.

Hanging there, my attention broadens and I announce how fun it was! My friend remarks that I am crazy as I pull myself back up, body shaking but ready for much more. All I can say back is "yeah I am nuts, but I like it that way."

I can't wait for tomorrow so I can do it again, this time leaping off!

This was a great description! It reminds me of the time I rappelled off a natural bridge. It was about a ninety foot free hang over a river. The main difference in you and me is that you turned and talked to someone before the big moment and I stopped talking. It's like when I'm about to do something "BIG" in that way, I can't talk. In an emergency, I become someone else. I loose the ability to open my mouth. I just spring into action and "do." I don't think anything. I don't feel anything. I just "do." Afterwards, or before, I may shake or feel nervous. Maybe this moment of letting go, of just "being" [experiencing] is the essence of Se? Now, I wonder how it would be to live that way. I don't think I could, but I can "become" that when I need to for survival's sake.

The thing about your friend saying you were crazy. That's exactly what one of my friends [an ISFJ] said to me when I reached the bottom.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This was a great description! It reminds me of the time I rappelled off a natural bridge. It was about a ninety foot free hang over a river. The main difference in you and me is that you turned and talked to someone before the big moment and I stopped talking. It's like when I'm about to do something "BIG" in that way, I can't talk. In an emergency, I become someone else. I loose the ability to open my mouth. I just spring into action and "do." I don't think anything. I don't feel anything. I just "do." Afterwards, or before, I may shake or feel nervous. Maybe this moment of letting go, of just "being" [experiencing] is the essence of Se? Now, I wonder how it would be to live that way. I don't think I could, but I can "become" that when I need to for survival's sake.

The thing about your friend saying you were crazy. That's exactly what one of my friends [an ISFJ] said to me when I reached the bottom.

adrenaline junkies like that. I am not an adrenaline junkie and i actually dont like adrenaline. I will just ignore adrenaline until its gone and then i can find my everyday skills without the adrenaline kick. I actually hate it when it kicks in and i am just jacking around as it makes me jittery because i am not in a fight/fligh situation. I am just having fun and its annoying to come down from as i lose some control. I prefer to stay out of it.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In the afternoon, at work, I frequently load the heavy gaylords into trucks before they take off (pallet boxes for those who don't know the term... they're taller than I am and cover an entire wooden pallet). Saturday is the most fun because, when things get really busy and we're short on staffing, I can occasionally get the challenge of loading all 20 or so gaylords into the trucks within about 20 or 30 minutes... and they're not really sitting close by. It's the joy of a challenge and moving... just moving... the actual thinking part of analysis is sped up to the point where I don't have to think about how I'm pivoting the pallets to fit them beside one another into the back of the truck, I simply swing the pallet jack around and slip them in with an inch or so to spare on either side... precise and seemingly simple. Weaving through support beams and ducking other people who are scanning things or moving from one line to another while dragging a heavy and large load at top speed, making sure to move without a second to spare and not messing up because that would take more time and there IS no time to waste.

once we've hit the finishing time it's a great feeling... to be physically tired from a week's worth of work capped off with a mad dash that very few people could pull off, knowing that I did it all in time and that I did it better than anyone else could have been expected to. dripping sweat as I finish closing things down for the night, already anticipating dinner and probably a snack on the way home and the knowledge that, as unimpressive as it sounds to someone who doesn't work in a similar field, I did great :cool:

and that's primary Se in use... so quick that it doesn't even seem like there was any thought put in, because as futurama says, if you do things right, it doesn't look like you did anything at all...

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In the afternoon, at work, I frequently load the heavy gaylords into trucks before they take off (pallet boxes for those who don't know the term... they're taller than I am and cover an entire wooden pallet). Saturday is the most fun because, when things get really busy and we're short on staffing, I can occasionally get the challenge of loading all 20 or so gaylords into the trucks within about 20 or 30 minutes... and they're not really sitting close by. It's the joy of a challenge and moving... just moving... the actual thinking part of analysis is sped up to the point where I don't have to think about how I'm pivoting the pallets to fit them beside one another into the back of the truck, I simply swing the pallet jack around and slip them in with an inch or so to spare on either side... precise and seemingly simple. Weaving through support beams and ducking other people who are scanning things or moving from one line to another while dragging a heavy and large load at top speed, making sure to move without a second to spare and not messing up because that would take more time and there IS no time to waste.

once we've hit the finishing time it's a great feeling... to be physically tired from a week's worth of work capped off with a mad dash that very few people could pull off, knowing that I did it all in time and that I did it better than anyone else could have been expected to. dripping sweat as I finish closing things down for the night, already anticipating dinner and probably a snack on the way home and the knowledge that, as unimpressive as it sounds to someone who doesn't work in a similar field, I did great :cool:

and that's primary Se in use... so quick that it doesn't even seem like there was any thought put in, because as futurama says, if you do things right, it doesn't look like you did anything at all...

I was hoping you would chime in :) love the physical labor of getting shit done and fast to boot.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was hoping you would chime in :) love the physical labor of getting shit done and fast to boot.

:laugh: I'm a sucker for physical challenges... there's an incredibly mundane adrenaline rush to things of that sort as well...

made me think, perhaps the reason why my baseline mood is pretty happy is because I take thrills in some very un-thrillworthy things :doh:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:laugh: I'm a sucker for physical challenges... there's an incredibly mundane adrenaline rush to things of that sort as well...

made me think, perhaps the reason why my baseline mood is pretty happy is because I take thrills in some very un-thrillworthy things :doh:

Me to, to the point of people saying, theres an easier way and i just keep doing what i am doing for the physical challenge.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Me to, to the point of people saying, theres an easier way and i just keep doing what i am doing for the physical challenge.

I can sympathize, having more than once yelled things along the lines of "you BASTARD! how dare you bring over a machine and steal all of my work!"

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=1180]whatever[/MENTION] [MENTION=12103]Poki[/MENTION]

When I worked assembly/manufacturing, I always liked the feel of hand tools as opposed to power tools. I got quite good with a ratchet and screwdriver, to the point I could do it nearly as fast as someone with a battery operated tool....faster if you count the time it would take the other guys to walk to the tool cabinet, get their battery, find the right screwdriver bit, etc...

Anyone can use an electric tool, but there's something nice about using hand tools...also I think it allows for more precision and nuance...nothing worse than overtightening a bolt and nut to the point that it snaps because you used an overpowered tool.....talk about overkill

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
[MENTION=1180]whatever[/MENTION] I'm very glad to see you here.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=1180]whatever[/MENTION] [MENTION=12103]Poki[/MENTION]

When I worked assembly/manufacturing, I always liked the feel of hand tools as opposed to power tools. I got quite good with a ratchet and screwdriver, to the point I could do it nearly as fast as someone with a battery operated tool....faster if you count the time it would take the other guys to walk to the tool cabinet, get their battery, find the right screwdriver bit, etc...

Anyone can use an electric tool, but there's something nice about using hand tools...also I think it allows for more precision and nuance...nothing worse than overtightening a bolt and nut to the point that it snaps because you used an overpowered tool.....talk about overkill

what i use depends on how i feel and what i am doing. I may grab a sawzall or a sledge to bring down a wall. I may even try and kick the damn thing down.Depends on what i feel like being the challenge. Chalenge depends on what i decide to use. no matter what i grab i love the physical challenge. i will carry stones by hand until my pinch grip is shot and then load up a wheel barrow to the point j can barely move it only to finish by driving truck around and tossing it out of back. It really depends, i enjoy physical period. If i am doing it by hand i want to do it by hand, if i grab a tool i want to do it that way. Ita not always a lets figure out the easiest way, its i wanna do it thjs way type of thing. Thats where we can look stupid, if someone pins a reason on why we are doing what we are doing. Your stupid for doing it that way, this way is easier...well your stupid for assumjng you know why i am doing what i am doing.

As a kid for fun and to burn off energy i used to tap a nail into a board, flip it over and hit board with my hand until i drove nail through it. Yeah, i could have grabbed a hammer or do something else, but i didnt want to.

I wear my dad out with him just watchiin me because i dont take the most efficient path Sometimes.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=19700]Starcrash[/MENTION]

there's a certain, almost meditative quality to using handtools... a way of being in touch with yourself and a reminder that you aren't a machine, but a person, in a way... I can't really express it well :sadbanana:

[MENTION=16382]Ene[/MENTION]

;)

another thing, that I almost wonder about other people, if they experience it too, is feeling almost TOO alive (not for my own tastes, but for those of others)

it always kind of blows my mind when people talk about getting in touch with nature and the world around them and reconnecting with the fact that they're part of something bigger when I can't shake the sense that I'm just an animal dressed up in human clothes who has fooled everyone so far so that they think that I'm something more sophisticated than I really am... and in a way that makes me feel trapped by life, like a tiger in a zoo or a rambunctious child being forced into church clothes and their best behavior by a well meaning older relative. I LOVE to be alive to the point where I occasionally want to take off at a dead run for no reason in particular other than the joy of a breeze on my face and the feel of my muscles working and to laugh with joy over the whole thing and there's no place for that sort of behavior in proper society...

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
what i use depends on how i feel and what i am doing. I may grab a sawzall or a sledge to bring down a wall. I may even try and kick the damn thing down.Depends on what i feel like being the challenge. Chalenge depends on what i decide to use. no matter what i grab i love the physical challenge. i will carry stones by hand until my pinch grip is shot and then load up a wheel barrow to the point j can barely move it only to finish by driving truck around and tossing it out of back. It really depends, i enjoy physical period. If i am doing it by hand i want to do it by hand, if i grab a tool i want to do it that way. Ita not always a lets figure out the easiest way, its i wanna do it thjs way type of thing. Thats where we can look stupid, if someone pins a reason on why we are doing what we are doing. Your stupid for doing it that way, this way is easier...well your stupid for assumjng you know why i am doing what i am doing.

As a kid for fun and to burn off energy i used to tap a nail into a board, flip it over and hit board with my hand until i drove nail through it. Yeah, i could have grabbed a hammer or do something else, but i didnt want to.

I wear my dad out with him just watchiin me because i dont take the most efficient path Sometimes.

sounds like my dad.... "you gotta have the right tool for the job" yada yada

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
there's a certain, almost meditative quality to using handtools... a way of being in touch with yourself and a reminder that you aren't a machine, but a person, in a way... I can't really express it well :sadbanana:

agreed. For similar reasons, I prefer painting with a brush to a roller

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
agreed. For similar reasons, I prefer painting with a brush to a roller

I always liked finishing woodwork with OLD woodworking tools like jack planes and such, setting the blades finer and finer until the surface is as smooth as paper

brushes are much more satisfying than rollers :yes:

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
[MENTION=19700]Starcrash[/MENTION]

This is true. I use hand tools all of the time. I actually tore down a barn with a crowbar and a hammer one winter, with the help of only my brother-in-law. It took us less than a week. I then built a wall in my basement [by myself] and that summer I designed and built [from the remaining lumber] a porch; not bad for the girl who goofed with a jet ski, but hey... I grew up on a farm, down in a holler, not on the river:) If I had been showing her how to bridle a horse instead of filling a jet ski things might have been different. When I was a kid I used to help my dad cut and haul wood. I helped him set fence posts and was always building things with him.

it always kind of blows my mind when people talk about getting in touch with nature and the world around them and reconnecting with the fact that they're part of something bigger when I can't shake the sense that I'm just an animal dressed up in human clothes who has fooled everyone so far so that they think that I'm something more sophisticated than I really am... and in a way that makes me feel trapped by life, like a tiger in a zoo or a rambunctious child being forced into church clothes and their best behavior by a well meaning older relative. I LOVE to be alive to the point where I occasionally want to take off at a dead run for no reason in particular other than the joy of a breeze on my face and the feel of my muscles working and to laugh with joy over the whole thing and there's no place for that sort of behavior in proper society

Actually, I really do get this, all but the mustache part. I don't have one of those. haha.

Also, I prefer brushes to rollers, well, depending on the job:)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is true. I use hand tools all of the time. I actually tore down a barn with a crowbar and a hammer one winter, with the help of only my brother-in-law. It took us less than a week. I then built a wall in my basement [by myself] and that summer I designed and built [from the remaining lumber] a porch; not bad for the girl who goofed with a jet ski, but hey... I grew up on a farm, down in a holler, not on the river:) If I had been showing her how to bridle a horse instead of filling a jet ski things might have been different. When I was a kid I used to help my dad cut and haul wood. I helped him set fence posts and was always building things with him.

Actually, I really do get this, all but the mustache part. I don't have one of those. haha.

Also, I prefer brushes to rollers, well, depending on the job:)

I've been trying for 31 years to grow a mustache but can't... now I'll never get to join the circus as a bearded or mustached lady :sadbanana:

we tore down my grandparents' old house when they built a new one when I was about 15... it was so much fun! I knocked out all of the windowsills with a sledge hammer and then pried everything I could loose with a crowbar :heart: gotta love farms for practical knowledge