• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] The concept of cognitive functions seems flawed

Vorthos

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Based on what I've read, a person has a preference for certain cognitive functions, and an aversion to others. I've also read that there are four preferred functions and four avoided functions for each MBTI type, and that the combination and order of them is unique to a type. Another point that I've read suggested that our types (and preferred cognitive functions) usually do not change, and this is the point that makes the concept of preferred and avoided functions seem flawed.

Arguing from my own experience (unfortunately it's all the "evidence" I have) it is entirely possible to be completely comfortable using both Ti and Te, same goes with Ni and Ne. The preference of one over the other can be so weak as to be negligible, so why is there the concept of avoided and preferred functions? Whether or not I use an "e" or "i" function depends entirely on the context: things like my environment, or what I want to know or find out. It isn't even guaranteed that I'll use the same function the next time I'm in the same situation. If we don't change our personality types, and I indeed use contradictory function comfortably, then some element of the concept of cognitive functions has to be wrong, since there's a contradiction somewhere.

I am aware that an argument based on one person's experience isn't particularly compelling, and logically, either I'm wrong or everybody who agrees with the theory of cognitive functions is wrong–and the latter seems unlikely to me as well.

Either way, I'm curious to see how everybody responds!

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think you've been reading some strange material about this.

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Based on what I've read, a person has a preference for certain cognitive functions, and an aversion to others. I've also read that there are four preferred functions and four avoided functions for each MBTI type, and that the combination and order of them is unique to a type. Another point that I've read suggested that our types (and preferred cognitive functions) usually do not change, and this is the point that makes the concept of preferred and avoided functions seem flawed.

Arguing from my own experience (unfortunately it's all the "evidence" I have) it is entirely possible to be completely comfortable using both Ti and Te, same goes with Ni and Ne. The preference of one over the other can be so weak as to be negligible, so why is there the concept of avoided and preferred functions? Whether or not I use an "e" or "i" function depends entirely on the context: things like my environment, or what I want to know or find out. It isn't even guaranteed that I'll use the same function the next time I'm in the same situation. If we don't change our personality types, and I indeed use contradictory function comfortably, then some element of the concept of cognitive functions has to be wrong, since there's a contradiction somewhere.

Dario Nardi's functions test is arguably the most-linked-to cognitive functions test, but as further discussed in the spoiler in this post, INTJs typically get high Te scores and high Ti scores (with Te not substantially favored over Ti), when they take Nardi's test. They also get high Ni scores and high Ne scores (with Ni not substantially favored over Ne). And INFJs often get Fi scores that are as high or higher than their Fe scores. And all the IN types tend to relate pretty strongly to Ti. And so on. As I understand it, there has never been a cognitive functions test where the results come anywhere close to lining up with the Harold Grant model expectations, where INTJs are supposedly Ni-Te-Fi-Se and INTPs are supposedly Ti-Ne-Si-Fe.

Mal may be right that you've been reading some bad cognitive function sources, but that's hardly surprising, since there's really no such thing as a good cognitive functions source. :alttongue:

And there's more on that in the spoiler.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I am aware that an argument based on one person's experience isn't particularly compelling, and logically, either I'm wrong or everybody who agrees with the theory of cognitive functions is wrong–and the latter seems unlikely to me as well.

Either way, I'm curious to see how everybody responds!

I think those functions are pretty different which makes me think you might not be differentiating between the functions properly. I have noticed people who prefer Ti think VERY differently than I do for example. It's not the same at all.

How would you define Ti vs Te or Ni vs Ne?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Tbh, I don't feel that I have a solid enough argument to really be confident in my usual belief that the cognitive functions exist and tend to relate in a certain way to each other depending on the person's type, and that this means preferring some functions and not others - or at least naturally using some and not others.

However, for myself personally I relate strongly to Si and I think I'm very far away from Se (although I find the other functions a bit hard to determine, except that I don't really relate to Ne), and I seem to get on well with people who use the same functions as me (by use I mean... last 3 letters of type code are either the same or all flipped). There are exceptions to who I get along well with, but I do see these as simply being exceptions. After all, there is more to a person than type, and you may relate to someone based on a large number of those other factors.

Vorthos

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think those functions are pretty different which makes me think you might not be differentiating between the functions properly. I have noticed people who prefer Ti think VERY differently than I do for example. It's not the same at all.

How would you define Ti vs Te or Ni vs Ne?

I've scoured the Internet for definitions of Ti, Te, Ni, and Ne, and the best I can come up with are Titanium, Tellerium, Nickle, Neon. :D

But actually, from what I gather, the gist of the definitions is that Te thinks about order and control, and Ti thinks more about concepts. Ni is "gut feel" intuition, and Ne is kinda like connecting the dots. I get that these definitions are horrible, but I mean them more to be a summary.

I agree that Ti and Te are quite different, but is it completely impossible to frequently switch between the two?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I've scoured the Internet for definitions of Ti, Te, Ni, and Ne, and the best I can come up with are Titanium, Tellerium, Nickle, Neon. :D

But actually, from what I gather, the gist of the definitions is that Te thinks about order and control, and Ti thinks more about concepts. Ni is "gut feel" intuition, and Ne is kinda like connecting the dots. I get that these definitions are horrible, but I mean them more to be a summary.

I agree that Ti and Te are quite different, but is it completely impossible to frequently switch between the two?

Both Ti and Te are based around concepts (according to Jung). Te is directed towards the object, then goes to subject and back to object. Likewise, Ti goes subject to object to subject. So either way you are constantly alternating between the subjective and objective factors. So a difference is in motivation - whether you are focused on refining the internal schema, or on applying concepts to build an understanding of a thing. This is similar to what you said I guess, just wanted to throw it out there.

From what I understand, Ti and Te users show markedly different patterns of brain activity (Dario Nardi).

Vorthos

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Both Ti and Te are based around concepts (according to Jung). Te is directed towards the object, then goes to subject and back to object. Likewise, Ti goes subject to object to subject. So either way you are constantly alternating between the subjective and objective factors. So a difference is in motivation - whether you are focused on refining the internal schema, or on applying concepts to build an understanding of a thing. This is similar to what you said I guess, just wanted to throw it out there.

From what I understand, Ti and Te users show markedly different patterns of brain activity (Dario Nardi).

But can't motivations change? Also, just to make sure I'm getting this right, what do you mean by "internal schema"?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dario Nardi's functions test is arguably the most-linked-to cognitive functions test, but as further discussed in the spoiler in this post, INTJs typically get high Te scores and high Ti scores (with Te not substantially favored over Ti), when they take Nardi's test. They also get high Ni scores and high Ne scores (with Ni not substantially favored over Ne). And INFJs often get Fi scores that are as high or higher than their Fe scores. And all the IN types tend to relate pretty strongly to Ti. And so on. As I understand it, there has never been a cognitive functions test where the results come anywhere close to lining up with the Harold Grant model expectations, where INTJs are supposedly Ni-Te-Fi-Se and INTPs are supposedly Ti-Ne-Si-Fe.

Mal may be right that you've been reading some bad cognitive function sources, but that's hardly surprising, since there's really no such thing as a good cognitive functions source. :alttongue:

And there's more on that in the spoiler.

That was a very good, albeit one-sided, explanation in the spoiler.