• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFJ's, INTJ's, and not being very J-like

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So INFJ's are J's, but we still have issues sometimes with J things like procrastination, motivation, discipline, consistency, timeliness, and decisiveness. INTJ's sometimes have similar issues with inertia and simply avoiding life for fear of failure. I attribute this to being Perceiving dominant (Ni), but I'd like to know your thoughts about how and why this manifests and what it's like for you. How are you like a J and how are you not and what is the psychology and type theory like behind it?

big sexy

MBTI Type
INfP
I think this is a matter of how strong a J one is. If it had to with being perceiving dominant, wouldn't ISxJs have similar problems?

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Notice that in Keirsey that there is SP and SJ, but no NP/NJ? NP and NJ are too much alike to differentiate the same way you would SP and SJ.

Si is concretely organized. Ni is abstractly organized, which does not always manifest in the real world. The realm of ideas is organized, not the realm of things.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I always score P except on very rare tests where J is tested more as planning for the future or how inclined you are to think about planning as opposed to actual planning, so that's how J I am.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think this is a matter of how strong a J one is. If it had to with being perceiving dominant, wouldn't ISxJs have similar problems?

They do. At least my ISFJ mom totally does. She puts her taxes off until the last minute, changes her mind like every 5 minutes, accumulates piles of clutter around the house, and doesn't understand how to work technology half the time even though she's a computer programmer.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I always score P except on very rare tests where J is tested more as planning for the future or how inclined you are to think about planning as opposed to actual planning, so that's how J I am.
Yeah this is me too. I was thinking that INJs' Ni makes planning, predicting, and synthesizing information the primary J functions.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe

They do. At least my ISFJ mom totally does. She puts her taxes off until the last minute, changes her mind like every 5 minutes, accumulates piles of clutter around the house, and doesn't understand how to work technology half the time even though she's a computer programmer.

Correct.

I'm Si dominant and lazy af. The only time I am productive is at the last minute. Usually all I do up until that point is estimate how much time I will need in order to finish something. I'm also very indecisive, and people have told me so. I'm not that messy really, but I really can be. Like, my desk is covered in papers, my floor has a pile of clothes. I am also lousy with stuff like technology - basically, if I haven't already done something at least once before, I am hopeless at knowing how to do it without clear instructions.

So yes. I think this is a perception dominant thing. Do IxxP types have these sorts of problems? :huh:

--

Anyway, not Ni dom, but as for how I AM like a J - I am very focused and deliberate in what I do, at least I think so. That's the essence of it.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
I thought Ni dominants' dreaminess and mild dissociation was fairly well established...

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Notice that in Keirsey that there is SP and SJ, but no NP/NJ? NP and NJ are too much alike to differentiate the same way you would SP and SJ.

Si is concretely organized. Ni is abstractly organized, which does not always manifest in the real world. The realm of ideas is organized, not the realm of things.

I agree with this and want to comment on the bolded part.

I carry entire novel plots in my head. I plan murals in my mind and envision the completed project before I even pick up the paintbrush.

I am J in that I can conceptualize a plan, sometimes intricate and elaborate, from beginning to end and then execute that plan.

I and not super organized with material things, I'm not a neat freak and I often run late, because I get side-tracked doing what i "like" instead of what I'm supposed to be doing.

Toward people I am open and flexible, pretty nonjudgmental really.

big sexy

MBTI Type
INfP
Correct.

I'm Si dominant and lazy af. The only time I am productive is at the last minute. Usually all I do up until that point is estimate how much time I will need in order to finish something. I'm also very indecisive, and people have told me so. I'm not that messy really, but I really can be. Like, my desk is covered in papers, my floor has a pile of clothes. I am also lousy with stuff like technology - basically, if I haven't already done something at least once before, I am hopeless at knowing how to do it without clear instructions.

So yes. I think this is a perception dominant thing. Do IxxP types have these sorts of problems? :huh:

--

Anyway, not Ni dom, but as for how I AM like a J - I am very focused and deliberate in what I do, at least I think so. That's the essence of it.

I am extremely messy and disorganized, haha. And a terrible procrastinator. And lazy/hard to motivate. Basically all the stereotypical 'P' problems. Could be because of ADHD.

If we speak in terms of outward organization, discipline, decisiveness, etc., I've noticed in general that xxTJs (xSTJs more so than xNTJs) and ISFJs tend to be the most structured. Not always of course, there are plenty of exceptions, just something I've noticed in a decent number of those types I know.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
more generally than inj,

f shame shit writer's block and heady disembodied e5ness of 4w5 and 5w4.
see also: methods, absence of.

for Ni specifics, being busy going into trance-mode kinda does it. the opposite of responsiveness, of presence. when i become am original seed and a withered old man at the end of the universe.