• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do the different types flirt?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I just laugh a lot and get really smiley. Also I like teasing back and forth. And maybe a few fake-punches here and there. :laugh:

I don't know why, but seeing that kind of flirt is highly effective for me, especially if your a derpy genius type--as in really smart and aware of philosophy and goings-on, but goofy and a little clumsy. Basically a somewhat more outgoing version of myself who is a little more direct and more risk-taking. I'm an ambivert, thru and thru...I just say ENFP because it fits just barely a little better than INFP. Sorry, I got way off topic.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't think I flirt at all. If I want someone, I tell them. Mostly because I'm not good at flirting.

Yes, you are so direct that it's hurtful. Then again, that's usually the quickest path to either acceptance or rejection.

Cygnus

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to mention this.

Socionics - the16types.info - Socionics Romancing Styles

Aggressors: SLE (ESTp), LSI (ISTj), ESI (ISFj), SEE (ESFp)

The Aggressor types, identified as such by Viktor Gulenko, are the four types with Se in their ego. Despite the differences between these types in terms of temperament, base function, and quadra values, it seems that in the area of physical attraction, desire, flirting, and the like, in intimate relationships, the irrational ego element Se, coupled with their expectations of Ni style behavior in intimate partners, is the most visible factor in an Aggressor's behavior.

Typical characteristics of the Aggressor romance style

no doubts about own interest in another person
not prone to hesitation about whether or not to reveal that interest
focus is more on own interest than whether or not the other person might reciprocate
romantic interaction is more about "toughness" than "tenderness"
needs to feel some sense of "superiority" over the partner, but worthwhile only if the partner is seen as able to largely "keep up"
this takes the form of power games, which others might regard as cruel or bitchy
in the case of female Aggressors with male partners, the above tends to assume the characteristic of a woman expecting total devotion from the partner, rather than her being "bossy"
little inclination to externally admit not having been the one to end a relationship, unless if adopting a "who cares" front simultaneously

This romance style is defined by focus on Se which is static, irrational, and extroverted. This means that an Aggressor sees attraction to another person as a static state, which he feels it is up to him to change in the direction more in agreement to his preference. This accounts for an Aggressor's inclination to take the initiative in approaching the object of his interest and being "relentless" in his pursuit, as well as, even during an established relationship, continuing to try to "shake things up" or "get things moving". If his partner is not receptive to such behavior, this discourages the Aggressor, and results in his interest cooling off.

Perception of other romance styles

Victim: Aggressors tend to perceive Victims simultaneously as pleasantly able to "keep up" regarding more "intensive" interactions, and also as not annoyingly prone to always wanting "to win". Aggressor women perceive Victim men as totally devoted yet reassuringly "strong".
Aggressor: Aggressors tend to perceive other Aggressors as exciting partners worthy of admiration and respect, but ultimately unsatisfactory due to a sense of never-ending competition for an ill-defined "upper hand", which becomes frustrating.
Caregiver: Aggressors tend to perceive Caregivers as somewhat boring and patronizing.
Infantile: Aggressors tend to perceive Childlike types as too goofy and unexciting, ultimately not taking them seriously as partners.

Victims: EIE (ENFj), IEI (INFp), LIE (ENTj), ILI (INTp)

The Victim types, identified as such by Viktor Gulenko, are the four types with Ni in their ego. Despite the differences between these types in terms of temperament, base function, and quadra values, it seems that in the area of physical attraction, desire, and flirting, the Ego element Ni, coupled with their expectations of Se style behavior in intimate partners, is the most visible factor in a Victim's behavior.

Typical characteristics of the Victim romance style

prone to initial doubts about intensity of own interest in another person
not always confident about revealing that interest
inclined to focus on whether or not the other person might reciprocate the interest
inclined to question whether or not the other person's interest will remain constant with time
preference for partners that provoke in the individual a certain sense of awe in terms of power, physical presence, and the like
appreciation for the sense of power-play present when interacting with such partners, with acceptance of a slight sense of superiority on the part of the partner, without ever actually "submitting" to them
this takes the form of the individual somewhat expecting the partner to be "mean" on occasion
in the case of Victim males with female partners, this latter trait assumes a characteristic analogous to a "knight devoted to his princess"
inclination to openly admit to a relationship having been ended by the partner rather than by the individual himself

This romance style is defined by focus on Ni which is dynamic, irrational, and introverted, with perceptions of inner imagery away from the present physical reality. This means that a Victim sees attraction between two individuals as a dynamic state, which he feels is completely natural. This accounts for a Victim's inclination to focus on the mutual attraction, or particularly the attraction felt by the other person, as to its longer-term perspectives and implications, as well as a certain expectation that the partner will continuously take action to confirm the attraction. Failure on the partner to do so results on the individual assuming that it's already changing. The individual counts on the partner to forcefully bring the individual "down to earth from his thoughts " and focus on the immediate physical reality, continuously.

Victim: Victims tend to perceive other Victims as puzzling and inconstant, as if they were playing games or "push-pull" behavior, but also as exciting partners if a stage of "certainty" is reached.
Aggressor: Victims tend to perceive Aggressors as pleasantly reassuring of their interest and prone to take the initiative in that area. They find Aggressor's sexual confidence attractive and reflecting positively on themselves.
Caregiver: Victims tend to perceive Caregivers as comfortable and up to a point reassuring partners, but also somewhat boring, leading to a sense of stagnation. The Caregiver's inclination to treat them as somewhat helpless is perceived as slightly insulting.
Infantile: Victims tend to perceive Childlike types as too goofy and expecting a kind of attention that the Victims find demanding; Victim women are prone to see Childlike men as irritating.

Caregivers: ESE (ESFj), SEI (ISFp), LSE (ESTj), SLI (ISTp)

The Caregiver types, identified as such by Viktor Gulenko, are the four types with Si in their ego. Despite the differences between these types in terms of temperament, base function, and quadra values, it seems that in the area of physical attraction, desire, and flirting, the ego element Si is the most visible factor in determining Caregivers' behavior.

Typical characteristics of the Caregiver romance style

attraction is naturally sparked by the perceived aesthetic attributes of the prospective partner, but cooled off if such attributes are accompanied by a perception of "too aggressive" sexuality
inclination towards tenderness, "soft" rather than "hard" approach
prone to adopt maternal approach to the physical comfort and needs of partner
interest is further maintained if partner welcomes this approach
prone to assume that partner will need help in practical, daily matters
neutral as to who ended a relationship, "power" is not seen as important in such matters

This romance style is defined by focus on Si which is dynamic, irrational, and introverted, with perceptions of the present reality and physical sensations rather than inner imagery. This means that a Caregiver sees attraction between two individuals as a dynamic state, which he feels is completely natural, as he also sees the physical comfort and well-being of another person as dynamic. This accounts for a Caregiver's inclination to focus on the mutual attraction, or particularly the attraction felt by the other person, as connected to that person's physical well-being. The individual's own dynamic and introverted Si perceptions lead to a sense of sleepy drifting in them, which makes him welcome Ne impulses from another person designed to shake him out of it from time to time.

Victim: Caregivers tend to perceive Victims as puzzling and never contented, sometimes as paranoid and insecure.
Aggressor: Caregivers tend to perceive Aggressors as a bit over-the-top in their approach to romantic interactions and sexuality and ultimately not pleasant to have stable intimate relationships with.
Caregiver: Caregivers tend to perceive other Caregivers as comfortable partners, but ultimately somehow less than satisfactory.
Infantile: Caregivers tend to perceive Childlike types as delightful partners with a sense of fun that brings joy to their lives.

Childlike: ILE (ENTp), LII (INTj), IEE (ENFp), EII (INFj)

The Childlike types, identified as such by Viktor Gulenko, are the four types with Ne in their ego. Despite the differences between these types in terms of temperament, base function, and quadra values, it seems that in the area of physical attraction, desire, and flirting, the ego element Ne, coupled with their expectations of Si style behavior in intimate partners, is the most visible factor in manifestation of "childlike" behavior.

Typical characteristics of the Childlike romance style

interest is sparked in partner with positive aesthetic attributes divorced from active, "aggressive" sexuality
tend to try to attract partner's interest with joking, goofy or even "strange" behavior
try to help partner see the unexpected and fun side of things
interest is maintained or cools off according to partner's response to this behavior
appreciation for partner who actively cares about the individual's comfort and daily needs
neutral with regard to externally admitting who took the initiative in ending a relationship, "power" is seen as unimportant in such matters

This romance style is defined by focus on Ne which is static, irrational, and extroverted, with perceptions focused on possibilities and alternatives to the static present reality, which the individual perceives as intrinsically boring and stagnant. This means that a person of Childlike type sees attraction between two individuals as a static state, also from the point of view of the other person, which he tries to "get moving" by actively thinking of variations of the present static state. This accounts for the inclination of Childlike types to focus on the mutual attraction, or particularly the attraction felt by the other person, as connected to that person's being exposed to the unexpected, imaginative, fun, even "weird" side of life, reality, and each other, a behavior that can be described as characteristic of young children. This focus comes together with a sense of helplessness regarding his own physical well being as perceived by Si, so he welcomes help from others in that area.

Victim: Chidlike types tend to perceive Victims as paranoid and confusing, giving mixed signals.
Aggressor: Chidlike types tend to perceive Aggressors as a bit too "rough" and even slightly scary on occasion, or perhaps just as obnoxious.
Caregiver: Chidlike types tend to perceive Caregivers as comforting and pleasant company, with a delightful sense of fun.
Childlike: Chidlike types tend to perceive other Chidlike types as fun to spend time with but also as helpless and demanding in a way that they see as stressful.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I suppose it wouldn't hurt to mention this.

Didn't you type me as ESFp? I'm much less an Aggressor/Victim than I am a Caregiver/Childlike - how would you account for that if I am SEE?

Cygnus

Didn't you type me as ESFp? I'm much less an Aggressor/Victim than I am a Caregiver/Childlike - how would you account for that if I am SEE?

The only real case I have for SEE is a dogged, unyielding display of vitality, combined with a distaste for analyses and speculation that could be considered vestigial. Here's more detail if you wish for it.
Aggressors/Employers: SEE (ESFp) ESI (ISFj)

These types, like the conquerors, express their sexuality openly. In daily life they may tend to be rather submissive and as a result may tend to carry over these tendencies into their romantic life. They are won over by indirect acts of submission, and are thrilled when their love interest (in the case of the "psuedo-aggressor" type) acts unlike himself. In a partner, they are looking for their equal - someone whose solid facade they can break down piece by piece.

Pseudo-Caregivers/Students: IEE (ENFp) EII (INFj)

These are types who exhibit paternal/maternal tendencies towards others in their everyday lives and may thus carry over these notions and temperaments into their romantic life. These types habitually attempt to give their partner what he/she "needs" (or what they believe they need). As a result, they may become drained by lack of attendance to their own needs and desires. In a partner, they are searching for a combination of strength and gentleness.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Apparently I flirt without knowing. Have been told I have an intense look and my gentleman nature, common courtesy, and respect to women constitute as flirting. Then they find out that's the way I am to all women :doh: Its sad when being nice or showing interest is considered flirting

I flirt purposefully with people I am comfortable with, may not even be after anything with it. Sometimes its just fun. I have said in the back of my head "I hope she doesn't run with what I just said". Its obvious by how far I take it. Playful for fun and I cut it off, serious and I keep going, unless you catch me off guard and I stumble :doh:

DreamBeliever

I don't think I flirt a lot. It's different with each person, though. There was one guy I used to tease mercilessly, & he did the same back. There's others that I'm practically the opposite with, too. I'm not good at picking up when guys like me. I end up just thinking they want to be friends, just kicking back & talking to them, & then have to try to get out of meeting up with them after (I really need to learn to not give my number to anyone who asks).

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Might be because I'm sp-dom, which could make me shier than your "average" ESTP, but normally I don't do the whole asking for a guy's number, hitting him on the shoulder and borrowing his sweatshirt thing.

I just try to keep it more natural. Smile when he's nice to me, help him and try to keep a conversation going once he starts it, putting a few jokes here and there if nesessary, laughing at his jokes.

People have never really accused me of flirting when I'm not, so I don't know, maybe what I do isn't exactly flirting?

The ENFPs I've known have a cool as fuck flirting style though.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't know how to flirt. People think I'm flirting all the time though because I'm nice to them?? I think it's kind of a sad world of people mistake being nice for being flirty, like these people haven't experienced enough basic human kindness for them to mistake it as something like that... I also don't know how to react to other peoples' flirting, so I just go along with it, lol. Which is kind of bad because I'll do it even if I'm not interested, and I'll really really bad about it, but I don't want to be "rude" even if it's better in the long run.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't know how to flirt. People think I'm flirting all the time though because I'm nice to them?? I think it's kind of a sad world of people mistake being nice for being flirty, like these people haven't experienced enough basic human kindness for them to mistake it as something like that... I also don't know how to react to other peoples' flirting, so I just go along with it, lol. Which is kind of bad because I'll do it even if I'm not interested, and I'll really really bad about it, but I don't want to be "rude" even if it's better in the long run.
I agree. I just can't bring myself to be rude or unkind to people, even if they need it. So, what I do instead is just to adapt my behavior to whoever I'm around, and try to be as helpful as I can and hope I can win people with kindness. It's a real shame "niceness" is considered flirty. Compassion is a human right.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
I wrote down a list of observations of various friends and their flirting styles, but didn't see any correlations specific enough to attach to type. Also, I see a big difference between meaningless flirtation and flirtation with intent to pursue.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
How do I flirt?

Entirely by accident.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think I flirt at all. If I want someone, I tell them. Mostly because I'm not good at flirting.

:wubbie:

Reminds me of Grace Jones' character in one of those Conan movies, "Just reach out and grab 'im!"

I flirt best when I don't mean to. When I mean to...well, it just goes so very, very bad and I have to finally resort to ceecee's method.

Kas

Fabula rasa
[MENTION=24643]Frosty6226[/MENTION] you made some very interesting remarks:)

NFs- probably more avoid flirting until they are absolutely sure that there is an interest from the other person. Get emotionally involved with the idea of someone and then are hesitant to risk having their ideal version of that person challenged, so when they flirt it is more or less generally a long drawn out process of spilling their feeling for a person, which the other may or may not be aware existed.

I can't speak for all NFs, but it is very accurate about me. I couldn't put it better. I need to have some time to think it over and take a risk.
But it makes me think whether behaviour like that is more characteristic for NFs or Enneagram 4? I know I mix threads right now...

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Well I would say that what I wrote is more of just blanket generalizations of what I would suspect would be the core underlaying of the cognitive processes and the behavior of the types in general. It could very well also be related to enneagram types, as it seems to me as if many MBTI types correlate strongly with having certain enneagrams.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I don't flirt unless I'm really, really close to someone. I've only felt that way maybe twice in my life. I need to know that there is mutual trust. When I know that the attraction is mutual, I will flirt. Eye contact (which is super hard for me), giggling, fake punches/elbowing, compliments, playfulness, and gentle teasing. I am extremely affectionate once I've opened up. So I guess flirting isn't a casual thing for me--it's a way to strengthen a bond and make the partner feel loved. I'm quite mushy, and I'm prone to showering the partner with love.

Do other INFPs do this?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't flirt unless I'm really, really close to someone. I've only felt that way maybe twice in my life. I need to know that there is mutual trust. When I know that the attraction is mutual, I will flirt. Eye contact (which is super hard for me), giggling, fake punches/elbowing, compliments, playfulness, and gentle teasing. I am extremely affectionate once I've opened up. So I guess flirting isn't a casual thing for me--it's a way to strengthen a bond and make the partner feel loved. I'm quite mushy, and I'm prone to showering the partner with love.

Do other INFPs do this?

Theoretically, though I've never been that close to somebody yet... :(

Love should be all encompassing...

I'll know I've found it when I feel it, but I don't know precisely how to find it or where to look.

I'm what you would call an Ambivert, I just go with ENFP because my issues are more with concentration than contingency planning, though conflict sucks for me, too.

Obsidius

Chumped.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't think there is any correlation among types to be honest, I think it concerns a different dimension of psychology, that being said, there is obviously going to be some kind of weak correlation between how "NT's" flirt as a group, or "NF's" etc. I personally just get quite nervous, until I'm used to the person I'm very rigid and I just smile and awkwardly laugh at anything they say, which can be very, very bad. If I'm comfortable I'm quite affectionate, I'll attempt some kind of absurdist humour or light touches and ask a million and one questions about them.

Raspberry_rain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a very strange way of flirting. I combine being extra mean (lots of teasing, sarcasm, and play fighting) with being extra nice, trying to be super helpful, texting first a lot (even though I'm an extrovert I'm horrid at texting first) even more smiley and giggly than normal, and I'm just always around them. I don't do much super in your face flirty stuff because it makes me feel awkward. I tend to get taken for flirting when I'm just trying to be nice.