• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] can you have a cold feeler or empathetic thinker?

SwimmerGal97

I've been trying to type myself for some time and have tried multiple assessments to no avail. On the surface it seems extroverts are energetic, sociable people who love talking and are always on the go and introverts are the opposite, quiet, shy and like to retreat. Can you be a quiet extrovert? (I'm not very talkative, dislike public speaking and prioritise career over any social life which made me think I was an introvert but I enjoy spending time with people, love events where I can mingle like open evenings at school and am usually the last to leave a party). Like wise for N and S, it seems like M's are wise but out of it, live in a world of their own whereas S's are pragmatic, factual with no imaganiation. And for T's and F's, can a feeler be perceived as aloof and cold? I don't show any emotion but I'm an empathetic person and can easily see from from others perspective and put myself in their shoes. Does that mean I'm a feeler not a thinker who seem to has be high IQ's but low EQ's? How would these functions be shown in an ENTP, INTP, INTJ and ENFP?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been trying to type myself for some time and have tried multiple assessments to no avail. On the surface it seems extroverts are energetic, sociable people who love talking and are always on the go and introverts are the opposite, quiet, shy and like to retreat. Can you be a quiet extrovert? (I'm not very talkative, dislike public speaking and prioritise career over any social life which made me think I was an introvert but I enjoy spending time with people, love events where I can mingle like open evenings at school and am usually the last to leave a party). Like wise for N and S, it seems like M's are wise but out of it, live in a world of their own whereas S's are pragmatic, factual with no imaganiation. And for T's and F's, can a feeler be perceived as aloof and cold? I don't show any emotion but I'm an empathetic person and can easily see from from others perspective and put myself in their shoes. Does that mean I'm a feeler not a thinker who seem to has be high IQ's but low EQ's? How would these functions be shown in an ENTP, INTP, INTJ and ENFP?

To answer the broad questions, yes you can have people-friendly introverts and low-key extroverts.
You can have very creative/open Sensors.
You can have empathetic thinkers and "cool" feelers.

It depends on the person's makeup.

What I usually see is functions within the makeup emulating the opposing functions externally.

For example, ESFPs can be very creative and artistic; you don't need to be "N" to be creative in the least. The SFP influence creates something that (1) collects lots of sensory imagery/stimulation, and (2) F gives an artistic vision/passion and (3) P makes it exploratory.

In INTP discussions, we usually talk about iNtuition being the doorway to Feeling -- we tend to use intuition to emulate feeling empathy. And I work in IT with a number of Feelers who have all high levels of analytical skills. Also some types of feelers (like INFJ) can sometimes come off "cool" rather than "warm" because they can be protective of their inner world. Or I've met ISFJs who can be more business-like in their demeanors -- practical get'erdun people.

So yes to all that. it can make typing confusing.

ENTP - usually come off as extremely quick, friendly, warm, knows a lot about many different things, likes to play around with ideas and things. can be good at selling ideas because of their people skills.

INTP - range of behavior, sometimes rigidly T and self-controlled, or even hyperrational; sometimes externally very flexy/friendly and broadly logical; famous for the "emotion explosion" where they might seem quiet/agitated and then blow up unexpectedly, then back to quiet; also can come off as wanting to be friendly but rather clumsy/unnuanced with it and not quite sure what to do

I have less understanding of the other two types and don't feel comfortable trying to summarize them.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
My empathy towards others is definitely a learned trait.