• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Case of different standards - granting someone an MBTI type

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Anyone who's visited this site frequently must have encountered this phenomenon.

-Oh you're XXXX. Poor you.
-You claim to be YYYY? I refuse to believe you! You dont have enough merits to be qualifed as YYYY!

And this MBTI was supposed to be some neutral, value-free type system. Well done.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I mean I don't really care if other people question my type, it causes me to reevaluate my thought processes and I kind of enjoy the deep thoughts questioning can provide.

This site is all about trying to figure yourself out, how you fit into the world, and how you relate to other types. Someone saying that "No I believe you to be XXXX instead of YYYY, shouldn't be taken as an insult but more as an invitation for reflection."

If you believe yourself to be a certain type though, and someone questions you, it isn't the end all be all. MBTI is just one way of exploring and identifying who you are. It doesnt have to be the only thing that defines you. I dont go out and introduce myself as XXXX, I use my name.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Helping someone find their type is a strong tradition with this site, and I'm not complaining. How it is though that other types are questioned more often than others? Is there a strong bias for individuals to see themselves in certain light, as in they're a masterminded INTJ, or some other type they admire? Moreover, does the people recognize these kinds of patterns, and do they begin to suspect anyone who types themselves as one of the "popular" types? Could people get overly suspicious of self-typed people of certain types?

If evaluation of someone's "mastermindedness" for example helps people better establish if they are an INTJ, it's all good, but I dont think the concept is most commonly used like just that.

Sounds like you're expecting me to be personally involved about this, so lets respond as in what's personal for me. Maybe you're used to dealing with 20 year olds so you like to offer consolation. No matter. Maybe I should change my profile picture to something where I look my age. In any case, the concept I'm talking about is similar to holding a type (say, ENTJ) as a badge of honor. ENTJ are seen as successfull in some sense, and if a self-typed ENTJ fails in some measure of success, their type will be in suspect.

Again, you invited personal thought, so I provided it, but this concept isn't about my self-typing. I'm saying this skill-based or merit-based evaluation of types fail in some regard. Not everyone who's test comes out certain way exhibits exemplary qualities usual to that type. They might be great at something else, but still their test comes out a certain way. I'm challenging the usual style of skill- and ability-based MBTI evaluation.