• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does your career fit your MBTI type's recommended one?

RandomINTP

Injustice Needs To stoP
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Lets start with myself for an example:

I'm an INTP, and I want to become a defense attorney.

Is it typical for an INTP? - Not really.

Are INTPs qualified for it? 3/4.
N: They're good at understanding concepts and theories
T: They are logical, which is a good trait being a lawyer.
P: They're good at adjusting to spontaneous situations, which is good, because a defense attorney doesn't really have a routine.

I: they're introverts and don't usually like to meet new people. As a lawyer, you constantly have to meet new people.
(I act like an extrovert anyway, so no problem)

Is it common for INTPs to be lawyers?
Yes. In fact, they're the 5th most common type to be a lawyer with 9.4%.

Now it's your turn: Does your career fit to your personality?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not at all, but I like it well enough and it pays. I'm probably supposed to be a social activist and artist by my type, but instead I write software. Sometimes I write weird software in my own spare time to relieve my mind.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Lets start with myself for an example:

I'm an INTP, and I want to become a defense attorney.

Is it typical for an INTP? - Not really.

Are INTPs qualified for it? 3/4.
N: They're good at understanding concepts and theories
T: They are logical, which is a good trait being a lawyer.
P: They're good at adjusting to spontaneous situations, which is good, because a defense attorney doesn't really have a routine.

I: they're introverts and don't usually like to meet new people. As a lawyer, you constantly have to meet new people.
(I act like an extrovert anyway, so no problem)

Is it common for INTPs to be lawyers?
Yes. In fact, they're the 5th most common type to be a lawyer with 9.4%.

I definitely see ENTP as the best type of defence lawyer, my experience is lots of questions and arguments, perfect food for making the Jury think. ESTP would also be great at pointing out facts and championing the Defendant.

As an INTP, your strength would be digging deep to portray the defendant in a good light, but make sure the defence is broad enough and explained to the Jury in an understandable format, don't give the prosecution any quarter :)

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
My job is a data analyst which fits my type better than any job I've had previously, definitely using my intuition and thinking to analyse, report and forecast. This job needs me to plan and organise myself a lot though, and be confident when I'm coming to conclusions or presenting a case, better suited to a J type. But then again, would they miss something important in the data and overlook something important a P might not? Don't think introversion puts me at a disadvantage.

RandomINTP

Injustice Needs To stoP
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
My job is a data analyst which fits my type better than any job I've had previously, definitely using my intuition and thinking to analyse, report and forecast. This job needs me to plan and organise myself a lot though, and be confident when I'm coming to conclusions or presenting a case, better suited to a J type. But then again, would they miss something important in the data and overlook something important a P might not? Don't think introversion puts me at a disadvantage.

data analyst sounds very ISTJ imo.

BluRoses

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
I am a caseworker in the mental health field. Definitely fits my type's recommended careers. I love working with people and sometimes being able to help them to be better or to achieve their dreams!

In a somewhat amusing aside: My type is often known as "The Teacher," but I personally would not want to be a teacher at all!

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
data analyst sounds very ISTJ imo.

I need to see the bigger picture as well as the detail, connecting the dots more than just seeing data, so I would argue N more than S to figure out what the data means.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't have a career, I have a job, where I am mostly playing the role of an ESFJ.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I work at the customer service desk of a grocery store, so that probably "fits" my type. I like it well enough, and the people there like me. Customers have even told me I'm the nicest person they've ever seen working at the desk. I've also been told that I sound like an automated message over the intercom and that people can always tell that it's me because I "sound so sweet".

Although. most of my work in customer service is western union/money orders/returns/getting people their cigarettes. Occasionally helping people find things. Answering the phone and directing calls. Printing out the hourly sales every hour on the hour (I have to watch the clock for this). And when they're down cashiers, and there's more than one person who knows how to runt he desk there, they'll put me on a register since I am also cashier trained. I've worked there for two months now. I like it, but my hours are a little unpredictable and, like all minimum wage jobs, they can't schedule more than a few days in advance because of a high turnover rate. If I stick with them long enough, though, I'll get raises. A girl who's worked there a few years is already up to $14/hr. Where I am, minimum wage is $8.05/hr.

Before my current job, when I was still in (community) college, I worked during my last semester as a supplemental instructor for PHI 103 (philosophy of logic). Absolutely LOVED the subject, and the teacher (the only logic teacher at that store--he was my teacher and after I took the class I got to work with him, which was great). I held help sessions for struggling students, and many of them were extremely grateful and claimed they wouldn't have passed the class without my help. I made a couple friends along the way, even. It paid better than my current job, but capped your hours to only 10 per week maximum. And you have to be a student to work there, so after I graduated I had to leave, otherwise I think I'd have stayed there. I thought that job fit me really well, since it's people-centered. :D

My very, VERY first job was McDonalds. Hated it. Management sucked. Customers were rude. Coincidentally, it is RIGHT next to the grocery store I now work at... and even though they're so close together, no one is mean to me at my new job, whereas almost all customers were rude to me at McDonalds! Probably because hungry people get pissy. My ISTJ best friend (still going to college) still works there. I like to visit him after work and leave notes on his car. But back on topic, I was a good employee at McDonalds for as long as I was there. I was amazing at headset and backbooth, and of course most of the time did both simultaneously as most places do to "cut back on labor". I did handout a few times. The job stressed me out a lot because of the fast-paced environment. Working like that, I could DO it but the stress wasn't worth it. Especially not for that pay & putting up with that treatment from customers & management alike. Glad I'm gone. ISTJ friend has worked there longer than 98% of the staff still working there and only stays because he's afraid he can't find another job since he's in school right now.

tl;dr I think customer service/people-centered jobs is a good fit for my type but fast-paced ones are really stressful.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Answer is yes on multiple fronts. I am a consultant. I work in the computer security area.

INTj

Enneagram 6

Basically - what can go wrong and how can i prevent it from happening. That's my job which fits the type perfectly.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes. I am a scientist, and some type description sets even use that as the nickname for INTJ. People often associate theorists more with INTP, which makes sense. As an experimentalist doing more applied research, I am more aligned with the type characteristics of making something work and putting abstract concepts into practice.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Yes.

I'm an INFJ-Enneagram 9.

Day job: I'm a teacher.

After hours: I'm the founder of a school of the arts. We offer courses in visual arts, literary arts, music and martial arts. I instruct courses in all of these disciplines. What little money I make goes back into the school. Yet, I continue to operate in an economically deprived region. I have a vision for the school and every day I'm working toward it. It takes a lot of time.

My other jobs: I'm a muralist. I spend many of my weekends on scaffolds, painting.

Writer: I have several traditionally published (not self published) novels under my belt and am working on a new one. I am also an internationally recognized poet. I also write non-fictional essays and have been published in journals, magazines, etc.

Between working, painting, promoting my arts school, writing, promoting my writing, daily doing martial arts training, keeping up with the paperwork and finding time for my family, I have very little "free" time, but I'm very good at multi-tasking and yet, staying on target.

I have a devoted team that works with me. I couldn't do it without their help.

I believe in doing what I love and giving it all I've got.

Still, no wonder Type C is the only forum I do!

For the record, my second choice was med school, but I worried that it would cut into my creativity time.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Dunno I work two jobs. But they certainly don't feel natural if that's what the thread is getting at.

One is working in an office at someone's home and doing invoicing, filing and a bit of sage and other bits and bobs. I'm shit at the job really and constantly drive my boss mad with all the mistakes I make. She's trying to get me to learn more of the business for when she has less time, but I think she's regretting it (I'm a frustratingly slow learner).

The other is working in retail behind a till where I'm also terrible in terms of competence but with the added bonus of having to actually interact with people which drives me insane.

I'm pretty incompetent at these jobs, however this is from my skewed opinion of myself, though I do get told off an enormous amount at the first one. At the second it can be ok at times but I'm incredibly inconsistent and with the added bonus of hostile, entitled and difficult people means it stresses me out to no end. I don't really possess "conflict resolution skills'.

However without a clear vision of what I would be good at and where my strengths lie in terms of work it's hard for me to think of anything I would prefer. I would need to actually try the job first. I suspect I'll never be comfortable with any job until I change my perspective, or in other words stop being myself.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
tl;dr I think customer service/people-centered jobs is a good fit for my type but fast-paced ones are really stressful.

I also do well in customer service/people centered jobs. Fast paced ones are stressful, but I kind of thrive on the pressure. It makes it fun, kind of like a challenge. I like jobs with an unending list of short-term goals to fulfill and keep busy. I've done both retail and food service and my favorite days are always the busy ones.

My actual career of choice is Marriage and Family Therapy, which does fit with XXFJ pretty well. Fe that has been trained and used intentionally is good at being both empathetic and objective, which is necessary for effective counseling.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My actual career of choice is Marriage and Family Therapy, which does fit with XXFJ pretty well. Fe that has been trained and used intentionally is good at being both empathetic and objective, which is necessary for effective counseling.

That's something I've also considered before, and I think I'd really enjoy it and be good at it, and helping people is always great. But I'm too lazy for the schooling LOL. I think I'd like to work in HR for some company someday.

Tippo

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I must say yes, everything I've ever done was planned. I didn't realize the correlation at the time but after reflection, choosing process engineering only made me more calculated.

Kensei

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am a senior in highschool, which is suited most to an ESTx, especially SJ's, so yeah, I don't enjoy my job at all.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
A really cool thread idea! I'll jump on in right now.

I'm an ENTJ, and I'd like to be a Project Engineer. Edit: should I also comment on my current job?
2 weeks ago I was teaching management skills in IT. Sounds very ENTJ to me. In 2 weeks I'll be a system administrator / IT support, which is unfitting for an ENTJ.

Is it typical for an ENTJ? Kind of, it has aspects of leadership and management. OTOH it highly depends on technical skills.
Teaching the managers? Very ENTJ. Otoh, maybe ENTP. Consultant for the management instead of being a manager. Still, typical I'd guess.
This system admin/ IT support is not usual for ENTJs.

Are ENTJs qualified for it?
Project engineer? Probably not, but then I'm not entirely qualified to be ENTJ either, so it balances out. I have a bit higher desire to use technical skills than the average ENTJ (from what I understand) but I have the desire to lead and manage that is not present with xNTP to such degree.
Qualified to be consultant in management? Yes. IT support? Yeah. Maybe overqualified in parts, maybe lacking in other areas.

Is it common for ENTJs to be project engineers?
Unknown. Recommended careers for ENTJ include business administration, computer consultant and such, and this profession is mix of the two.

Very much so! This goal career at least. I've been a teacher, but I am too ambitious for that. I've been consultant, and it's about right. I've done some programming, which is really not my strongest skill. So my actual career fits my personality somewhat, sometimes nicely, but not always to a great degree.