• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] The 7 Deadly Sins and MBTI Correlation

RandomINTP

Injustice Needs To stoP
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
I decided to do this with the Jungian Cognitive Functions.

Si: Sloth (the opposite of Se, not wanting something physical to do)
Se: Lust (obvious)
Ni: Gluttony (because you don't consider how much food is there or how full you are)
Ne: Pride

T: Greed (or Deceit) (irrelevant of I and E because Ts do what makes sense most)
Fi: Envy (or Fear)
Fe: Wrath

Read this section before looking at the types! Otherwise it won't make sense.
About the duplicate sins: I'll deicde which one fits better, and you can still comment if you disagree.
Before we type, let me explain something. The dominant sin isn't the strongest one. It's just the one you have in control the most.
Vice versa with the inferior sin. The inferior sin would be the one you have the least control over.
Also, not every type has every sin in there, and some types might have different sins as well. This is just a rule in general if yo know what I mean.
Now: let's start.

ISTJ
Dominant Sloth (they're called workaholics because they have that sin under control very well)
Auxiliary Greed
Tetriary Fear
Inferior Pride

ISTP
Dominant Greed
Auxiliary Lust
Tetriary Gluttony
Inferior Wrath

ESTP
Dominant Lust
Auxiliary Greed
Tetriary Wrath
Inferior Gluttony

ESTJ
Dominant Greed
Auxiliary Sloth
Tetriary Pride
Inferior Envy

ISFJ
Dominant Sloth
Auxiliary Wrath
Tetriary Deceit
Inferior Pride (this doesn't really fit, does it... ?)

ISFP
Dominant Fear
Auxiliary Lust
Tetriary Gluttony
Inferior Deceit (I mean white lies, not selfish ones)

ESFP
Dominant Lust
Auxiliary Envy
Tetriary Deceit (or possibly Greed)
Inferior Gluttony

ESFJ
Dominant Wrath
Auxiliary Sloth
Tetriary Pride
Inferior Deceit (cause I don't know about Greed...)

INFJ
Dominant Gluttony
Auxiliary Wrath
Tetriary Greed
Inferior Lust

INFP
Dominant Envy or Fear (I don't know INFPs, despite me being IN_P as well, well enough to decide here...)
Auxiliary Pride
Tetriary Sloth
Inferior Greed or Deceit (can't decide again... INFPs, help meee!)

ENFP
Dominant Pride
Auxiliary Envy or Fear (wow, I'm indecisive...)
Tetriary Greed or Deceit (wtf is wrong with me?)
Inferior Sloth (not sure about this one...)

ENFJ
Dominant Wrath
Auxiliary Gluttony
Tetriary Lust
Inferior Greed

INTJ
Dominant Gluttony
Auxiliary Greed
Tetriary Envy
Inferior Lust

INTP
Dominant Greed (although I'm more Gluttony)
Auxiliary Pride (oh hell yeah, Ima narcissistic fucka)
Tetriary Sloth (ow gawd yes, I'm really lazy)
Inferior Wrath (OMG yess, I have aggression problems)

ENTP
Dominant Pride
Auxiliary Greed
Tetriary Wrath
Inferior Sloth (not necessarily Sloth, but I know an ENTP with a really high pain tolerance.)

ENTJ
Dominant Greed
Auxiliary Gluttony
Tetriary Lust
Inferior Envy or Deceit (not sure...)

There you have it. The 7 Deadly Sins in MBTI, Jungian Cognitive Functions. What do you think? Was it accurate? Comment below.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
First of all, there's the whole 7 sins, 8 functions mismatch thing.

Second, to suggest that human cognition is inherently sinful seems completely absurd to me.

Third, both systems are probably just made up. :alttongue:

So yeah, fun though it may be to correlate everything, sometimes, there is no point.

RandomINTP

Injustice Needs To stoP
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
First of all, there's the whole 7 sins, 8 functions mismatch thing.

Second, to suggest that human cognition is inherently sinful seems completely absurd to me.

Third, both systems are probably just made up. :alttongue:

So yeah, fun though it may be to correlate everything, sometimes, there is no point.

"First of all", there is no mismatch.
2nd: I've never stated that any of the Cognitive Functions are intrinsically sinful. I just correlated them.
3rd: You're just trolling, arent you...
BTW: There is a point right here --> .

RandomINTP

Injustice Needs To stoP
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Do do F's.

Fs do what's morally right.
there's a misconception that Fs are emotional (getting mad, sad, happy quickly) but that's not what F means.
F stands for feeler. They make decisions based on what's morally right.
T stands for thinker. They make decisions based on what makes sense.
You aren't wrong though. According to the cognitive functions, everybody has T and F as well as S and N, which one is Introverted and the other Extroverted.
Therefore, an F's logic would be either tertiary or inferior, but still existent. That would mean an F would only make a logical decision if it is also morally right.
Vice versa, a T would only make a morally right decision if it makes sense to do so.

But would you say your hypothetical sins are accurate?

á´…eparted

passages
Fs do what's morally right.
there's a misconception that Fs are emotional (getting mad, sad, happy quickly) but that's not what F means.
F stands for feeler. They make decisions based on what's morally right.
T stands for thinker. They make decisions based on what makes sense.
You aren't wrong though. According to the cognitive functions, everybody has T and F as well as S and N, which one is Introverted and the other Extroverted.
Therefore, an F's logic would be either tertiary or inferior, but still existent. That would mean an F would only make a logical decision if it is also morally right.
Vice versa, a T would only make a morally right decision if it makes sense to do so.

But would you say your hypothetical sins are accurate?

I am an F type and I do what makes sense. Most people, regardless of their type do what makes sense. You made a poor distinction between F and T, and as far as I can tell your grasp on what each type and function actually does is tenuous at best.

I and A LOT of F types here consider themselves very logical rational people, and most actually are. The distinction between F and T is what information gets used, and what is deemed important.

I think your list is based off silly stereotypes and a poor grasp on typology. If there is a correlation it would be very weak at best.

My "sins" (which actually aren't) are not captured by this list of 7, and as it stands I have no interest in detailing what they are.

BluRoses

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
I decided to do this with the Jungian Cognitive Functions.

Si: Sloth (the opposite of Se, not wanting something physical to do)
Se: Lust (obvious)
Ni: Gluttony (because you don't consider how much food is there or how full you are)

T: Greed (or Deceit) (irrelevant of I and E because Ts do what makes sense most)
Fe: Wrath

Read this section before looking at the types! Otherwise it won't make sense.
About the duplicate sins: I'll deicde which one fits better, and you can still comment if you disagree.
Before we type, let me explain something. The dominant sin isn't the strongest one. It's just the one you have in control the most.
Vice versa with the inferior sin. The inferior sin would be the one you have the least control over.
Also, not every type has every sin in there, and some types....[/B][/I]

I don't really agree with the seven deadly sins on their own, and I don't see a lot of correlation to the types...but I think this was an interesting idea.

Also, my sin (if i believed in this) would be pride. Not sure that would apply to other ENFJ's at all though...

Last edited:

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know you probably put a lot of thought into this, but they seem to have been chosen arbitrarily and at random.

á´…eparted

passages
I don't really agree with the seven deadly sins on their own, and I don't see a lot of correlation to the types...but I think this was an interesting idea.

Also, my sin (if i believed in this) would be pride. Not sure that would apply to other ENFJ's at all though...

I may be an anomoly, but pride is rarely an issue for me. It can take time in some cases but I can almost always push through it.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Ti: Sloth
Se: Lust
Si: Gluttony
Te: Pride
Se: Greed (or Deceit)
Fe/Te: Wrath

Doomkid

Ne pride? I don't get it

I think:

Se = gluttony
Si = ???

Fe = wrath
Fi = pride

Ti = sloth (psychological apathy, not necessarily lazy)
Te = lust (sadistic dominance, not necessarily sexual)

Ni = envy (watch the movie 7)
Ne = greed???(I don't know)

RandomINTP

Injustice Needs To stoP
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ne pride? I don't get it

I think:

Se = gluttony
Si = ???

Fe = wrath
Fi = pride

Ti = sloth (psychological apathy, not necessarily lazy)
Te = lust (sadistic dominance, not necessarily sexual)

Ni = envy (watch the movie 7)
Ne = greed???(I don't know)

Introverted pride: Egoism
Extroverted pride: Arrogance

Intuition is part of the perception part. Prideful people (like narcissists) percieve themselves as great, but it's usually deeper than a superficial level. I personally think I'm hot, but my true pride comes with my genius level intellect. Ne fits good to pride.

Another possibility:
Se - Lust (lust is physical pleasure but it can be mental but it doesn't change anything)
Si - Gluttony (because taste is for yourself and not sensible to others)
Ne - Pride (read the above of you haven't already)
Ni - 8th Sin: Deceit

Fe - Wrath
Fi - Envy or 9th Sin: Fear
Te - Greed
Ti - Sloth

My top sins:
1. Pride (yes)
2. Sloth (yes)
3. Gluttony (yes)
4. Wrath (yes)
5. Lust (yes)
6. Greed (yes)
7. Envy (no)

INTP:
Dom: Sloth
Aux: Pride
Ter: Gluttony
Inf: Wrath

Pretty accurate.
Now for the other sins:

INTJ:
Dom: Deceit
Aux: Greed
Ter: Envy
Inf: Lust

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
sprh.jpg

I guess it could be a fun brain exercise, though.

Did you get the idea from the enneagram correlations? They're often attached to the seven sins, due to the spiritual underpinnings of ennegram. (For example, 5's supposedly have a Greed issue.)

Since the MBTI types can be partially correlaed to enneagram types, there might be some crossover there.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
sprh.jpg

I guess it could be a fun brain exercise, though.

Did you get the idea from the enneagram correlations? They're often attached to the seven sins, due to the spiritual underpinnings of ennegram. (For example, 5's supposedly have a Greed issue.)

Since the MBTI types can be partially correlaed to enneagram types, there might be some crossover there.

I would argue that sloth is more appropriate for 5, or at least for INTP 5s. Greed is too much damn work. INTJs might be different.

hqdefault.jpg

^ INTP 5.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would argue that sloth is more appropriate for 5, or at least for INTP 5s. Greed is too much damn work. INTJs might be different.

5's are traditionally tied to Avarice in the enneagram due to their tendency to horde ideas and horde their own competence. They're hesitant to act in the real world, doubting their own competency, and thus they keep their resources to themselves and don't take risks.

In the enneagram, the direction of integration for Five -> Eight, and Eights instinctively take action rather than hording their energy. So healthy Fives (according to the Enneagram) develop confidence in their abilities and knowledge and a willingness to take risks and give to others without fearing that they will in the process expend their resources enough to be drained. They give rather than withdrawing from the world into their own safe little cocoon that they can control and manage without risk.

But yeah, there's a high correlation between INTx and e5's in the surveys. They are one of the more correlated types.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
5's are traditionally tied to Avarice in the enneagram due to their tendency to horde ideas and horde their own competence. They're hesitant to act in the real world, doubting their own competency, and thus they keep their resources to themselves and don't take risks.

In the enneagram, the direction of integration for Five -> Eight, and Eights instinctively take action rather than hording their energy. So healthy Fives (according to the Enneagram) develop confidence in their abilities and knowledge and a willingness to take risks and give to others without fearing that they will in the process expend their resources enough to be drained. They give rather than withdrawing from the world into their own safe little cocoon that they can control and manage without risk.

I would imagine being able to do this effectively requires engagement and (observation!) of the world, rather than retreat from it. Would that be correct?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would imagine being able to do this effectively requires engagement and (observation!) of the world, rather than retreat from it. Would that be correct?

yes, although the assumption is that you have naturally been collecting and hording those observations for your lifetime.. but being anxious about "spending them" and trusting them in real-time / action. 5's do tend to get caught up in the "head life" and shy away from the external manifestation of self.

So yes, Eight is a "Move Against" type, while Five is a "Move Away" type. (the other category is "Move Towards.") Five learns to plan strategic and conscious "Moving Against" actions.

I've seen Eight's vice described as either excess or anger. These are the problems, different people make different associations, but I guess something can be gained by exploring it.

Cygnus

Alpha (Ne, Fe, Si, Ti) -- Sloth, Gluttony

Beta (Fe, Se, Ti, Ni) -- Pride, Lust, Envy, Wrath

Gamma (Se, Te, Ni, Fi) -- Wrath, Avarice, Lust

Delta (Te, Ne, Fi, Si) -- Sloth, Avarice