• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The truths about Se-doms.

Kensei

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've been told by many people that I was Se(my counselor, and people on this forum), but I didn't believe it because of the stereotypes associated with Se-doms. Even when I took the mbti test I came out ENFP and ENTP because N's are associated with intelligence, insight and creativity. However, most of these stereotypes are not true, and I will explain to you the myths and then the real truths behind Se-doms, which will hopefully help some S's come out of the closet and stop pretending to be N's.
1. SE USERS CANNOT BE CREATIVE AND CLEVER: This is the one that gets most people. Se-doms, as well as any sensors are clever and creative with facts. They can still come up with clever ideas and solutions to problems, they will just have to base their ideas off of some sort of root. Basically sensor minds are like flowers, they need some kind of root to grow their ideas from versus the black hole like minds of the N's in which their ideas pop out of nowhere, and despite being able to spurt their ideas out of the blankness of their mind, they are less likely to come up with ideas applicable to reality. N's are more creative than S's ultimately, but their ideas have less of a chance of working outside of the arts.
SE USERS ARE ONLY OUT FOR CHEAP THRILLS AND ADRENALINE RUSHES: Se-doms may enjoy things like sex, eating, bungee jumping, and sports, but they are out for more than cheap thrills. They are out for the same things any humans are: love, truth, and purpose in life. Of course, SP's love an unpredictable and adventurous twist to their purpose and love, but most are not just brainless adrenaline junkies and meatheads out for thrills.
SE USERS CANNOT SEE THE BIG PICTURE: false. Se users can see the big picture, they just start with the facts and piece them together like a puzzle, versus Ne-users that start with the big picture and break them apart to determine the facts. Se=inductive reasoning Ne=deductive reasoning
SE USERS CANNOT MAKE INFERENCES: Se users do make inferences and theories, they just make them based on observation, versus Ne users who make inferences without concrete data.

In conclusion, mbti is about preference, not ability. Each type is equal in ability and competence, they simply just have different ways of using or achieving that ability and competence Also, keep in mind that nobody is completely abstract, or completely concrete, they exhibit traits of each. Same with thinking and feeling. Feelers aren't always peace-loving hippies that don't make any rational decisions and thinkers aren't always cold, heartless monsters (although there are some people that are very close to those stereotypes). Also keep in mind that cleverness and creativity is based on the person's competence, not personality preference. Hopefully this helped and that people can stop typing themselves based on stereotypes. Also, I would recommend going to a certified psychologist to determine your type instead of taking online tests, because those things are just as much bullshit as anything else you read online that comes from a teenage typology addict and not an actual professional.

RandomINTP

Injustice Needs To stoP
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Even when I took the mbti test I came out ENFP and ENTP because N's are associated with intelligence...
You can say that again.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been told by many people that I was Se(my counselor, and people on this forum), but I didn't believe it because of the stereotypes associated with Se-doms. Even when I took the mbti test I came out ENFP and ENTP because N's are associated with intelligence, insight and creativity. However, most of these stereotypes are not true, and I will explain to you the myths and then the real truths behind Se-doms, which will hopefully help some S's come out of the closet and stop pretending to be N's.
1. SE USERS CANNOT BE CREATIVE AND CLEVER: This is the one that gets most people. Se-doms, as well as any sensors are clever and creative with facts. They can still come up with clever ideas and solutions to problems, they will just have to base their ideas off of some sort of root. Basically sensor minds are like flowers, they need some kind of root to grow their ideas from versus the black hole like minds of the N's in which their ideas pop out of nowhere, and despite being able to spurt their ideas out of the blankness of their mind, they are less likely to come up with ideas applicable to reality. N's are more creative than S's ultimately, but their ideas have less of a chance of working outside of the arts.
SE USERS ARE ONLY OUT FOR CHEAP THRILLS AND ADRENALINE RUSHES: Se-doms may enjoy things like sex, eating, bungee jumping, and sports, but they are out for more than cheap thrills. They are out for the same things any humans are: love, truth, and purpose in life. Of course, SP's love an unpredictable and adventurous twist to their purpose and love, but most are not just brainless adrenaline junkies and meatheads out for thrills.
SE USERS CANNOT SEE THE BIG PICTURE: false. Se users can see the big picture, they just start with the facts and piece them together like a puzzle, versus Ne-users that start with the big picture and break them apart to determine the facts. Se=inductive reasoning Ne=deductive reasoning
SE USERS CANNOT MAKE INFERENCES: Se users do make inferences and theories, they just make them based on observation, versus Ne users who make inferences without concrete data.

In conclusion, mbti is about preference, not ability. Each type is equal in ability and competence, they simply just have different ways of using or achieving that ability and competence Also, keep in mind that nobody is completely abstract, or completely concrete, they exhibit traits of each. Same with thinking and feeling. Feelers aren't always peace-loving hippies that don't make any rational decisions and thinkers aren't always cold, heartless monsters (although there are some people that are very close to those stereotypes). Also keep in mind that cleverness and creativity is based on the person's competence, not personality preference. Hopefully this helped and that people can stop typing themselves based on stereotypes. Also, I would recommend going to a certified psychologist to determine your type instead of taking online tests, because those things are just as much bullshit as anything else you read online that comes from a teenage typology addict and not an actual professional.

These are mostly really good points. I like this post a lot. A couple things.

First I would not agree that N's ideas have less a chance of working outside the arts. That's anti-N bias.

What do you mean by certified psychologist? Certified in MBTI? I have seen people certified in MBTI communicate wrong results and being rather certain about it (just based on the Step 2 results). I do agree that the tests leave something to be desired. I think the official MBTI test gets something like 85% accuracy.

Jaguar

How To Tell Intuiting From Extraverted Sensing

Over the last four years, in the MBTI® Qualifying Programs, advanced programs and elsewhere, we found a disproportionate number of people who had reported preferences for the iNtuiting process while their behaviors seemed to resemble the Artisan-SP temperament pattern.

Several descriptors used for iNtuiting misled these individuals to self-report on the MBTI® or self-select a preference for "N."

Big Picture - Many Artisans-SPs are interested in the big picture. They say they want all the detail, the whole story. One ESFP selected "spire" over "foundation," saying he saw himself on top of the spire seeing the whole picture.

Pattern - Likewise, most of these Artisans-SPs also indicate they look for patterns. Looking for patterns is different than perceiving the pattern first. The differentiating point is the starting place, not the ending place.

Extraverted Sensing and extraverted iNtuiting are holistic, analogic perceptual modes. In extraverted Sensing, the individual elements, like the trees in the forest, are seen in rich detail, all at once. Thus concrete patterns are quite likely to be perceived along with the discrete sensory information. This pattern is different from the abstract extraverted iNtuiting perception of the relationships and connections of the trees to the rest of the environment. Both pattern and big picture can be on a continuum from concrete to abstract.

Possibilities - These Artisans-SPs frequently respond to "possibilities" as an accurate descriptor. When we probed deeper, they described seeking opportunities for action, usually what to do next and what will work to solve a problem. They like brainstorming and coming up with variations on a theme, until the process goes on and on and on and gets too far away from reality. Those who prefer extraverted iNtuiting are increasingly excited by the ideas sparked in the process regardless of how far abstracted from reality. Both extraverted iNtuiting and extraverted Sensing focus in the here and now and on possibilities and opportunities. The differentiating factor is abstraction or concreteness.

Hypotheses

Type Pattern vs. Mental Process - To understand extraverted Sensing, we consult those who have S and P in their four letter code, asking them what they would do, listening to their words and observing their behaviors. We frequently fail to remember that in the _S_P type pattern (hierarchy of functions), there is also iNtuiting. For example, someone with ESTP as preferences, also has introverted iNtuiting. Even though it is in fourth place, it is there. Those with ISTP have introverted iNtuiting as tertiary (following Grant's model) and as adults, probably have had much opportunity to develop and use it. The functions do not operate in isolation, but in dynamic interaction. Could it be what looks like extraverted iNtuiting is really extraverted Sensing, with an introverted iNtuiting perception of the near future? Could this be the attraction to "big picture," "pattern" and "possibilities"?

MBTI® Results are not equal to "True Type" - Since these Artisans-SPs have resonated to some of the descriptors for iNtuiting and reported themselves as "N" on the MBTI®, is it possible we have then reinforced "fuzzy" descriptions by assuming we were observing the behavior and words of someone with a preference for "N"?
Full article here:
How to tell iNtuiting from extraverted Sensing | The InterStrength Group

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram

Kensei

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Meh sorry about that guys, did more research and now I'm leaning back on ENTP. I just get easily confused by functions when typing myself, because I feel like I use a mix of all the functions, so I basically just did some thinking about the letters without the functions and based on letter, I'm actually more N. And [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] , I wasn't saying N ideas can't be realistic, I was saying N's were more likely to dream and be staggeringly unrealistic, but again, it doesn't mean all N's have no anchor on reality, it just means that in extreme forms, N's can be dreamers that can't functiom out in the real world. Just like S's in extreme forms are realistic and down to earth, but are unoriginal and repeat everything they say from a textbook. S's can still be creative and N's can still be realistic, but I'm just ralking extremes, not normalties.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Ses are tons of fun, at least the ones I know. They can be a bit much to take sometimes tho.