• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Is it possible to convince Fs with Logic?

RandomINTP

Injustice Needs To stoP
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
The title says it all.
I've noticed Fs don't care about logic (the best thing there is) and I have this question to all Fs.

Is it possible to convince Fs with Logic?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, this can actually screw them up depending on how they perceive logic and utilize it. They can be lead astray easily by half ass logic sometimes. Depends on person, not all Fs.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Logic: :notype:

Thinking vs Feeling: How MBTI Type Impacts Decisions - Branding, Predictive Analytics, FIRO MBTI TKI

Do not get caught up in the usual definitions of Thinking and Feeling. Too often, people will go, “Well, I rely on reason, not feelings–so that must mean I am in the Thinking group.” This is NOT what these functions mean. They are both intellectual processes. Thinking is an objective function where the focus is only on the desired outcome, so envision Thinking as being like a military strategy process. Feeling is a subjective function where values and participant impact are considered, so envision Feeling as being like a political strategy process. We all Think and we all Feel–the difference is only in which process you go to first.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So, I'm an ENFP and a software engineer. Not only do I care deeply about logic, but unlike even a lot of T's, I actually understand it and where it is applicable. What this means is that if you know your stuff you can convince me that A and B mean C, but that doesn't mean that I have to give a shit about C when I want Z, or that A and B are the only starting points.

Everybody can logic, they just have different endgames.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
of course, but that doesnt mean that i think logic is relevant to every situation either.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Your quote is more what the average person utilizes each function for, not what it actually is. Politics is crap, not really an F or T thing. Ts seem to flock to politics more because it has "strategy", Fs just get "moved"(both good and bad) by it.
It works as a metaphor, IMO. I would suspect that interest in politics is not MBTI related, because there are such a wide variety of reasons to be interested in politics. But I thought the metaphors in that quote were good shorthand for the different types of logical reasoning required.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
So, I'm an ENFP and a software engineer. Not only do I care deeply about logic, but unlike even a lot of T's, I actually understand it and where it is applicable. What this means is that if you know your stuff you can convince me that A and B mean C, but that doesn't mean that I have to give a shit about C when I want Z, or that A and B are the only starting points.

Everybody can logic, they just have different endgames.

^This. Also, being an F doesn't necessarily mean they don't "care" about logic either. Sorry for using myself as an example, but up until the end of college I was literally a supplemental instructor for philosophy of logic and held help sessions for students who were having a hard time understanding it... which were not just Fs, but Ts as well.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Being a Feeler doesn't render one incapable of understanding logic. They don't ignore the facts of a situation; they're just more likely than Thinkers to take into account the people in a situation as well.

It can be an advantage, for sure. An advantage I wish I had sometimes. /robot

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If it's properly wielded and needed for the situation. It just depends. If I used my er..."feelings" to make every decision, then I'd be a real mess now, wouldn't I? Anyone would be.

á´…eparted

passages
Being a Feeler doesn't render one incapable of understanding logic. They don't ignore the facts of a situation; they're just more likely than Thinkers to take into account the people in a situation as well.

This.

A lot of the time we see the logic of people (which for T types feels alien or wrong to consider). I like putting it this way: "people are inheriently illogical, and there for will be logical with their illogic."

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If it's properly wielded and needed for the situation. It just depends. If I used my er..."feelings" to make every decision, then I'd be a real mess now, wouldn't I? Anyone would be.

A lot of people cant differentiate between logic and opinion as if logic has a single path. Logic will lead people astray just as quick as feelings if not wielded correctly.

Olm the Water King

across the universe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Yeah, but it can also be a disadvantage /starts crying

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A lot of people cant differentiate between logic and opinion as if logic has a single path. Logic will lead people astray just as quick as feelings if not wielded correctly.
And Thinkers are fully capable of mistaking their personal opinions for logic.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And Thinkers are fully capable of mistaking their personal opinions for logic.

They actually tend to be the worst IMHO. I was actually thinking of T types when I made that statement, the T types who "preach being logical" the most.

Beorn

Permabanned
On a serious note, logical reasoning is only as good as the presuppositions upon which it is based.

Therefore, being logical ≠ being right.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
On a serious note, logical reasoning is only as good as the presuppositions upon which it is based.

Therefore, being logical ≠ being right.

^Definitely this. If you come to some conclusion based on false premises or even questionable ones then your entire argument just burns to ash.

Edit: Adding an example for clarification.
Let's say you come across a person who makes this hypothetical argument: All Feelers (F) are Not Rational (R), otherwise written as F → ¬R. Let's say person x is a Feeler, so an F. It logically follows that they are Not Rational (¬R). So our argument goes as follows:

F → ¬R
F
--
¬R

(Otherwise read aloud as "If F, then not R. F, therefore not R."

Which is a completely valid argument... but it is not sound, because this is ASSUMING that the premises are both true, which they could very well be false.

Last edited: