• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are INTJs the most self-aware type?

mollyowens

MBTI Type
ENTP
I was recently doing some research for a project and discovered that there are almost twice as many web searches for "INTJ" than for any other type. It didn't come as a total surprise since INTJs are often described as being interested in self-improvement, but I still found it fascinating how much more information is being sought about this type versus any other type.

The least searched types were ESTP and ISFP, which sounds about right--by all accounts these types aren't prone to sit around thinking about personality theory for very long.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

MedGirl

MBTI Type
xNTJ
I was recently doing some research for a project and discovered that there are almost twice as many web searches for "INTJ" than for any other type. It didn't come as a total surprise since INTJs are often described as being interested in self-improvement, but I still found it fascinating how much more information is being sought about this type versus any other type.

The least searched types were ESTP and ISFP, which sounds about right--by all accounts these types aren't prone to sit around thinking about personality theory for very long.

Thoughts?

That makes sense based on what I would guess intuitively... I'd bet I's and N's would be the most likely to introspect and make self-improvement into a project and E's and S's would be the least likely. What about INTPs? I bet they would be high up along with the INTJs in terms of interest in personality and self-analysis.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP

Thoughts?

Not quite sure what you mean by "self-aware". I would've thought the number of searches for INTJ indicates they are more confused about who they are or why they are the way they are. Although it could equally point to the fact that other types are confused about who INTJs are or why they are the way they are.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Self-concerned and self-aware are two different things. INTJs may be more prone to wondering about themselves, but that doesn't mean they are accurate in knowing themselves, whic means that aren't really "aware" of their true selves.

Anyhow, if you're just basing it on search results, then I'm going to say that a lot of it actually comes from other types being confused and frustrated with INTJs, and as such, looking for answers about them.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Not quite sure what you mean by "self-aware". I would've thought the number of searches for INTJ indicates they are more confused about who they are or why they are the way they are. Although it could equally point to the fact that other types are confused about who INTJs are or why they are the way they are.
Excellent points.

Um, I would think that those with dominant Fi functions would be the most prone or likely to be self-aware.

I think, relatively speaking, that I am an incredibly self-aware person, and I think that my self-awareness is intricately tied to my emotional intelligence, and that my emotional intelligence is a by-product of my strongly felt and experienced Fi.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
By my definition of self-aware, I'd lay my money down that INFPs are the most self-aware. I've also heard that they were the types most likely to look into personality type, but I dont' know if that's true.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
INFPs are self aware, but that doesn't account for their disconnect with reality...

From what I've noticed is that INTJs are the most likely to have a good idea of what they want from life but be confused about who they are... which means a lot of searching the internet in their free time, considering they're introverts.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
INTJs are the most self-aware. So much so that, as I've mentioned before, the guy that administered the test actually asked me which of the short descriptions matched me the best. Of course, I chose correctly. Apparently only INTJs consistently do that.

Usehername

On a mission
CP way of analysis:
Ni dominant = aware of possibilities mixed with closure-driven xNxJ factor.
Te = Impersonal and regimented.
Fi = able to get a sense of values.

Letter analysis:
I = more likely to be self-aware than an E
N = looks toward long-term rather than here and now
T = impersonal
J = closure driven.

A healthy INTJ knows themselves extraordinarily well. A healthy INTJ needs an absurdly accurate understanding of what they're dealing with currently so that they can build upon it for the future and be competent. They're long-term thinkers, they're aware of possibilities, and they're constantly improving everything.

INTJs have an inner world rich with endless possibilities that, when combined with their Thinking-Judging preferences, gives them a drive toward constant improvement of everything. Indeed, these are the "better idea" people of the typological world. Everything--words, plans, designs, ideas, even people--has room for improvement. In the INTJ's eyes, even the best can be made better.
Murraystate INTJ description

We need to know where things stand so that we can have any sort of feelings of self-worth by improving ourselves. When I'm not improving myself I get depressed.

I haven't examined the other types, but I can't imagine a (healthy version) of a type more concerned with an accurate analysis of where they are at present. (NTs: "if it ain't broken, let's tear it apart and make it better!") NFs are very self-aware but they're not as comfortable with the conflict that is necessary. (As a whole. Clearly there will be overlap but I think INTJs take the cake on self-awareness.)

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm an INTJ and I've been described by people close to me (yeah, I'm still INTJ!) as the least self-aware person they know.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I think INTJs tend to be highly aware of their competencies/weaknesses and goals, and surprisingly oblivious to their motives and underlying values.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think INTJs tend to be highly aware of their competencies/weaknesses and goals, and surprisingly oblivious to their motives and underlying values.
I could not have said that any better myself, agreed!

redacted

INTJs are probably most aware of their place/function/how they relate to a power structure. INFJs are probably most aware of their place in the social world/how they affect people. INFPs are most aware of how they feel and what they believe is right. INTPs are probably most aware of how they think.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
INTJs are probably most aware of their place/function/how they relate to a power structure. INFJs are probably most aware of their place in the social world/how they affect people. INFPs are most aware of how they feel and what they believe is right. INTPs are probably most aware of how they think.

:nice: Excellent post.

I'm incredibly weak in understanding how I can affect others. It works against me especially since I live in a Fe environment. :doh:

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Being a J gets in the way of self-awareness. INTP's and INFP's are the most self-aware.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Excellent points.

Um, I would think that those with dominant Fi functions would be the most prone or likely to be self-aware.

I think, relatively speaking, that I am an incredibly self-aware person, and I think that my self-awareness is intricately tied to my emotional intelligence, and that my emotional intelligence is a by-product of my strongly felt and experienced Fi.
I firmly stand by this assertion.

Self-awareness entails a lot of Fi.

redacted

Being a J gets in the way of self-awareness. INTP's and INFP's are the most self-aware.

in some sense this is true (but only for introverts), as dominant perceivers have an unconscious process as their highest priority.

INFPs would be most aware of their motivations, which seems to be the definition we're using.

to revise my previous post:

INTJs (should be ENTJ) are probably most aware of their place/function/how they relate to a power structure. INFJs (should be ENFJ) are probably most aware of their place in the social world/how they affect people. INFPs are most aware of how they feel and what they believe is right. INTPs are probably most aware of how they think.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
INTPs??!?!?!?

Pa-lease!!!

Self-awareness requires both F intelligence and T intelligence. For instance, an emotional person might be crying and will have no idea why they are, it requires them to take a step back from themselves and analyze the situation rationally, like an INTP would do.