• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are INTJs the most self-aware type?

mollyowens

MBTI Type
ENTP
:huh:

That makes no sense whatsoever!!!

Self-awareness, i.e. knowing one's self hasn't a thing to do with the external world's perceptions of, and preoccupations with people.

:huh:

If you already have self-awareness, maybe not! But I think being a more unusual person can make it more difficult to figure out who exactly you are. If you're not like other people you know, you have to do more work in figuring out your own identity.

Personally, it took me a while to figure out I'm an ENTP and I've heard similar accounts from other female ENTPs. The ENTP archetype in our society is more associated with masculine traits so being a female ENTP is a bit of a cultural disconnect. Had I been an ESFJ or some other more "typical" female type I don't think it would have been nearly so difficult to figure out who I was.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
If you already have self-awareness, maybe not! But I think being a more unusual person can make it more difficult to figure out who exactly you are. If you're not like other people you know, you have to do more work in figuring out your own identity.

Personally, it took me a while to figure out I'm an ENTP and I've heard similar accounts from other female ENTPs. The ENTP archetype in our society is more associated with masculine traits so being a female ENTP is a bit of a cultural disconnect. Had I been an ESFJ or some other more "typical" female type I don't think it would have been nearly so difficult to figure out who I was.
Ludicrous.

I have been an "unusual" person my entire life, which actually led to my relying and depending on an internal compass and monologue to dictate who I am/was and why.

I was soooooooooooooo unlike my other family members and peers, it was kind of ridiculous, but I have always had a strong sense of self, always.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I'm not understanding why the question would even arise that INTJs are somehow more self-aware than other types.

And about ESTPs and ISFPs being least searched: maybe they find themselves through other means? Maybe they don't need a personality theory to help them? Maybe communing with nature or fully experiencing life is their way of becoming self-aware. Just because someone isn't interested in type theory or MBTI doesn't mean they're not interested in discovering themselves. And being interested doesn't lead to self-enlightenment either, it's just as easily used to fuel one's own myopic vision of oneself and others.

To me it sounds like you're basing self-awareness on how often a type is searched though Google.:huh: The gravity that some people give to MBTI amazes me sometimes.

I understand (or am assuming) that people mean self-awareness in these following contexts:

Self-awareness includes a recognition of our personality, our strengths and weaknesses, our likes and dislikes. Developing self-awareness can help us to recognise when we are stressed or under pressure. It is also often a prerequisite for effective communication and interpersonal relations, as well as for developing empathy for others.
The ability to know and understand one's self.

conscious knowledge of ones own character, feelings, motives and desires

I'm also reading that key components to self-awareness means knowing your personality, values, needs, habits, and emotions and understanding how they fit in with those of others.

How about this: why would other types not be self-aware? What's holding other types back?

I haven't read the thread completely so excuse me if these points have already come up.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
To me it sounds like you're basing self-awareness on how often a type is searched though Google.:huh: The gravity that some people give to MBTI amazes me sometimes.

That's a very good point.

There are many reasons why INTJ may be the most searched type on Google:

1) INTJ is a really common result for online MBTI tests, so they're going to be among the most searched on Google

2) INTJs and other similar types would be among the most interested/curious about MBTI after they take online MBTI tests, so it's among the most searched -- compare this to ISFP types

3) A lot of people of other types find INTJs absolutely confounding, so they search for information on them

4) INTJs are often voracious readers/writers, so they may read/produce a lot of information on their type on the web

And there are probably many many more reasons...

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
How about this: why would other types not be self-aware? What's holding other types back?

I can say that I personally am not naturally very self aware, and I don't believe other ExTP's are either. My perception is focused outwardly so strongly that as a result I am not in touch with who I am in a lot of ways. For example if something upsets me or makes me sad it takes me days to figure out why. Often the way I understand myself is to develop general principles about how people behave and then deductively apply these principles to myself. For example I didn't become interested in MBTI in order to understand myself. Instead my aim has been to understand all people in general, and from that I have come to learn more things about myself.

In contrast INTJ's have introverted perception. Introverted perception is keenly aware of whatever it focuses on and that almost always includes the self. That is why IxxJ's are naturally very self aware. Although I would say being a feeler helps too, so I'd put IxFJ's as the most self aware and IxTJ's a close second.

redacted

J's can be closed minded in that they seek to close things off and have matters settled, and can be unsettled by a gray world. I believe open-mindedness and the mental tendency to open doors instead of close them is key to achieving self-awareness. Self-awareness also requires a grip on reality, which isn't in black and white but shades of gray.

i don't see why you think Js are unsettled by "shades of gray". introverted perception is all about depth of vision. in fact, Ni is all about shades of gray, even more so than Ne.

the only argument to be made for IJs being less self aware than IPs is that perception is an unconscious function and judgment is conscious.

we also have to define self-awareness. i'd say it has to do with understanding your motivations. INFPs would probably be best at that, followed by INFJs (being in touch with values is the NF's forte).

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
In contrast INTJ's have introverted perception. Introverted perception is keenly aware of whatever it focuses on and that almost always includes the self. That is why IxxJ's are naturally very self aware. Although I would say being a feeler helps too, so I'd put IxFJ's as the most self aware and IxTJ's a close second.
LOL, hells to the NO!!!!

Having a strongly developed Fi would lead to an increase in self-awareness, IMO.

redacted

LOL, hells to the NO!!!!

Having a strongly developed Fi would lead to an increase in self-awareness, IMO.

i agree. Fi is slightly better because it's tuned to the self instead of the world. Fe people are just as in tune with values, but are less directly focused on the self.

also, dominant feelers are most consciously aware or values. IFP or EFJ.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
LOL, hells to the NO!!!!

Feeling certainly helps, but I don't think it's the most important factor. I've known some INFP's that I would not describe as terribly self aware. Fi makes one aware of their own values, but not much else.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Are we basing self-awareness on how quickly someone becomes self-aware? Is a 16 year old INFP more self-aware than a 60 year old ESTJ? Are we talking about a type's natural proclivities towards self-awareness? Are we asking about certain functions aiding self-awareness more than others? Are there functions that have nothing to do with self-awareness? How does one become self-aware in the first place?

The most basic definition of self-awareness is conscious knowledge of ones own character, feelings, motives and desires. I am very hesitant to say that one type over another is naturally more self-aware because I think too many environmental factors can skew this. If I were forced to say which types are more naturally prone to desire self-awareness I'd say ISFPs or INFPs. If they achieve it is up in the air.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Are we basing self-awareness on how quickly someone becomes self-aware? Is a 16 year old INFP more self-aware than a 60 year old ESTJ? Are we talking about a type's natural proclivities towards self-awareness? Are we asking about certain functions aiding self-awareness more than others? Are there functions that have nothing to do with self-awareness? How does one become self-aware in the first place?

The most basic definition of self-awareness is conscious knowledge of ones own character, feelings, motives and desires. I am very hesitant to say that one type over another is naturally more self-aware because I think too many environmental factors can skew this. If I were forced to say which types are more naturally prone to desire self-awareness I'd say ISFPs or INFPs. If they achieve it is up in the air.

I would define self awareness as awareness of all things dealing with knowledge of the self. It includes all of the following:

-Knowledge of one's own character, feelings, motives, and desires
-Knowledge of one's strengths and limitations
-Detailed knowledge of ones own likes and dislikes
-Knowing when one is stressed and what the cause is.
-Kinesthetic sense
-Ability to know if one will like or dislike a situation before being put into it
-Knowing what one wants out of life and actively pursuing it

Overall I'd say the types that excel most in these areas tend to be the IxxJ types.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Imo searching for answers is different to being self aware. In terms of searching INTJ do lots of that but I don't understand why self awareness, as in awareness of one's traits, feelings, and behaviour would relate to type.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
This thread is killing me.

Those who are the most emotionally intelligent will be the most inclined to exhibit and possess a strong sense of self-awareness. Those who posses marked empathic abilities so too must necessarily possess a keen sense of self.

Strong use/presence of both Ne + Fi, in my opinion, lead one to accurately understand themselves as both part of, and separate from a larger human picture. The Fi is responsible for our understanding our inner worlds separate from other people, carving within us our deep sense of self, consisting of our personally-held moral, emotional and behavioral values. My Fi is like my private core identity, a self that persists and resists any external or environmental change. My Fi has been with me since age three, it is the me within me, that which is constant, it is my identity.

Ne allows this Fi identity to theoretically explore new problems, like, what would I do if such and such were to happen, how would I act in this or that particular situation and it also allows one to explore other people's situations and the problems that they might face. Ne + Fi leads to empathy.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
Then what does Ni+Te do?

Writing as someone who is Ni+Te and spent lots of time on this.

Mostly uses intuition plus logic to figure themselves out. Sometimes even charts it out or makes lists. Example: Monday night and Tuesday night I was in a bad mood, but Wednesday night I was in a good mood. What happened Monday and Tuesday, but not Wednesday.

Probably not nearly as effective as the N + F combinations. Tries to figure out their feelings and values, but it is harder because Fi is third.

Ilah