• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are INTJs the most self-aware type?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, um INTPs have a dormant Fe function.

I don't think self-awareness requires too much emotional intelligence...are you telling me monks that make it there goal to be free from desire and emotion aren't self-aware?

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Being a J gets in the way of self-awareness. INTP's and INFP's are the most self-aware.

This is oblique generalization.

How did you arrive at this conclusion?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
This is oblique generalization.

How did you arrive at this conclusion?

J's can be closed minded in that they seek to close things off and have matters settled, and can be unsettled by a gray world. I believe open-mindedness and the mental tendency to open doors instead of close them is key to achieving self-awareness. Self-awareness also requires a grip on reality, which isn't in black and white but shades of gray.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
J's can be closed minded in that they seek to close things off and have matters settled, and can be unsettled by a gray world. I believe open-mindedness and the mental tendency to open doors instead of close them is key to achieving self-awareness. Self-awareness also requires a grip on reality, which isn't in black and white but shades of gray.

The argument can be pointed both ways.

Your underlined point illustrates why a P shouldn't necessarily rule out a J on the basis of closure seeking behavior.

More to the point, self-awareness seems an intimate creation, divorced from external standard. As such, the soil from which this understanding develops needn't be limited to predispositions concerning one's appreciation for finality.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
The argument can be pointed both ways.

Your underlined point illustrates why a P shouldn't necessarily rule out a J on the basis of closure seeking behavior.

More to the point, self-awareness seems an intimate creation, divorced from external standard. As such, the soil from which this understanding develops needn't be limited to predispositions concerning one's appreciation for finality.

I wouldn't rule out a J as possibly being self-aware, but I'd surely bet on a P being more likely to be self-aware compared to a J.

Closed mindedness isn't the best way to go about self-awareness, one must be open.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
I wouldn't rule out a J as possibly being self-aware, but I'd surely bet on a P being more likely to be self-aware compared to a J.

Closed mindedness isn't the best way to go about self-awareness, one must be open.

To each his own.

On a sidenote, I find the irony in your last statement to be quite amusing.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
No, see, if you go to INTPc you'll see there conclusive evidence through the course of many quality* threads that INTP's are actually the most enlightened, self-aware and all-round perfect people in the world and generally, the hope of the human race and saviours of us all. :D

I might've put a bit of a wager on INFP's personally, though there is that tendency they often have to piss more people off through their unwillingness to say no to one person and cause more trouble and inconvenience that way than if they just said no/upset that one person. I cite my wonderful INFP friend whose entire life (and therefore those of her friends and anyone who has dealings with her) revolves around her headcase of a mother and her spoilt dogs.

*quality comedy that is

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
The word "awareness" by its very nature should make one think of perception. Therefore "self-awareness" has to do with introverted perception. The four IxxJ types are the most self aware. I'd also assert though that feeling aids both interpersonal and intrapersonal skills, so I'd say IxFJ's are slightly more self-aware than IxTJ's (but only slightly). Likewise ExTP's are the least self aware type, but at the same time the most insightful in regard to their external environment.

In regard to INTJ's I'd say what makes them unique in this area is that they are incredibly self-aware while being very clueless about what makes other people tick. The INTJ makes complete sense to themself, but they might not understand their place in the world, because most other people don't make sense.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
For a large part of my life I have been very focused on figuring myself out. I still feel like I have aways to go, but studying personality type is a big help.

I would agree that not having a strong F hurts self awareness. Sometimes something will provoke a strong negative reaction and I am not sure why. Sometimes I can work out later what caused the reaction, and sometimes I can't. Other parts of myself awareness, the things I can figure out at an intuitive level, are pretty good. I still have an intuitive feeling that I have lots go in this area though.

I am also not so great at awareness in terms of social interaction, but I don't know if I would call that self awareness or not.

I think some types are more complicated and harder to understand than others. That includes both self awareness and understanding by others. I am a complicated person, but I think being a rare type is only part of the puzzle.

I think rare types sometimes have a harder time figuring themselves out because well meaning people give them advice that is wrong for them. Basic things like what activities are fun, what relaxes you, what makes you happy. A lot of self examination is used up just to straighten out all this.

Ilah

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm an INTJ and I've been described by people close to me (yeah, I'm still INTJ!) as the least self-aware person they know.
Social absent-mindedness doesn't apply.

We can be somewhat disconnected as Js go.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Taken from personalitypage.com

To onlookers, the ENFP may seem directionless and without purpose, but ENFPs are actually quite consistent, in that they have a strong sense of values which they live with throughout their lives. Everything that they do must be in line with their values. An ENFP needs to feel that they are living their lives as their true Self, walking in step with what they believe is right. They see meaning in everything, and are on a continuous quest to adapt their lives and values to achieve inner peace. They're constantly aware and somewhat fearful of losing touch with themselves. Since emotional excitement is usually an important part of the ENFP's life, and because they are focused on keeping "centered", the ENFP is usually an intense individual, with highly evolved values.

However, once an ENFP has learned to balance their need to be true to themselves with their need for acceptance, they excel at bringing out the best in others, and are typically well-liked. They have an exceptional ability to intuitively understand a person after a very short period of time, and use their intuition and flexibility to relate to others on their own level.

Self-awareness is intimately tied to knowing oneself both emotionally and *realistically*

Those types that are prone to value keeping true to themselves will inevitably be more self-aware.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I know when I have to go to the bathroom. That's being self-aware, is it not?

I'm interested in improving my competence in a number of areas. But most of the time, I'm too timid to assert myself, so fantasies build up inside. I overload internally, an INxJ trait. And other times, I become paranoid, phobic, and lethargic, a stressed ENxP trait. (My Ne and Ni are both well-developed.)

There are times where I can understand myself quite vividly, but other times, I just muddle myself into more confusion and run around in circles.

mollyowens

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think rare types sometimes have a harder time figuring themselves out because well meaning people give them advice that is wrong for them. Basic things like what activities are fun, what relaxes you, what makes you happy. A lot of self examination is used up just to straighten out all this.

Ilah

Interesting point--perhaps the INTJ's interest in their own type has to do with 1. wanting analysis and answers and 2. being a rarer type for whom conventional advice doesn't necessarily apply. They are interested in understanding themselves but have to search farther for that understanding because the world doesn't readily supply it.

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
The results are skewed... I search "INTJ" a lot...

Sorry about that, I'll quit.

:D

Actually, I've had people tell me that I 'know myself' pretty well, but it wasn't until I started delving into the MBTI that I actually understood it. I knew that I'd react certain ways, but I didn't know why.

Plus... INTJ's are the SYSTEMS BUILDERS who 'want people to make sense', right? What better way to organize the very thing that confuses us to death than to categorize them by types? It puts the rational into the inrrational in my world.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
In regard to INTJ's I'd say what makes them unique in this area is that they are incredibly self-aware while being very clueless about what makes other people tick. The INTJ makes complete sense to themself, but they might not understand their place in the world, because most other people don't make sense.

Story of my life.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
They are interested in understanding themselves but have to search farther for that understanding because the world doesn't readily supply it.
So wouldn't that then mean that they are relatively lacking in the self-awareness department?

Self-awareness, i.e. knowing one's self hasn't a thing to do with the external world's perceptions of, and preoccupations with people.