• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type most likely to be a grammar nazi

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
You use the language of Shakespeare everyday without understanding what you do.

And in a form of reverse snobbery you express your ressentiment towards those who love and understand the greatest writer in the English language.

This sounds more like The Lord of the Flies than a Grammar School.

There is no resentment in my tone. I am only saying what is true. Shakespeare(assuming he was a real person) encrypting meaning within his work so only a select few could understand it is perfectly fine and rational from an economic standpoint, and a very clever business move, but it disqualifies the work from true magnanimity.

There is nothing wrong with being esoteric, selective, and elitist but if we are going to put something on the level of true greatness it best be for all.

Mole

Permabanned
There is no resentment in my tone. I am only saying what is true. Shakespeare(assuming he was a real person) encrypting meaning within his work so only a select few could understand it is perfectly fine and rational from an economic standpoint, and a very clever business move, but it disqualifies the work from true magnanimity.

There is nothing wrong with being esoteric, selective, and elitist but if we are going to put something on the level of true greatness it best be for all.

Good heavens, Shakespeare was a popular, successful and wealthy playwright and poet. His plays and poems have been translated into every language in the world, and his plays are performed in every country today.

It seems you are culturally impoverished and seem to think everyone else is too.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Most Americans have the idea because they are enthralled by American popular culture they understand American culture, when American culture is invisible to them.
So we don't understand our own culture, either? Goodness, we Americans seem to have an endless list of failings. I wish I were Australian, so I could be eternally faultless.

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
After looking at answers given on OkCupid, the following is how likely each type is to be concerned with grammar, spelling, etc:

Males
Females
INTJ76.85%
ISTJ76.43%
ESTJ76.32%
ENTJ76.12%
INTP74.46%
ENTP73.20%
INFJ71.67%
ENFJ70.34%
ISFJ70.22%
ISTP69.77%
ESTP69.34%
ENFP67.55%
INFP67.54%
ESFP67.10%
ESFJ66.92%
ISFP65.49%
ESTJ88.60%
ISTJ87.78%
ESTP86.71%
INTJ86.44%
ENTJ85.21%
ESFJ84.79%
ISFJ84.76%
ENFJ84.13%
INFJ83.99%
INTP82.61%
ENTP82.12%
ENFP81.13%
INFP81.12%
ESFP79.44%
ISTP78.82%
ISFP77.04%

All the ISTJ's I know are very PC. I'm surprised they're so high on the list. I wouldn't expect any of them to openly correct others unless asked to.

Preference by certain type seem to juxtapose on the poll, such as: ESFJ (Female high/male low), ESTP (Female high, male low), ENTP (Female low, male high). From my experience, it seems to fit together fairly accurate.

baccheion

Shakespeare went to a Grammar school and studied the grammar of at least four languages, resulting in the greatest body of literature in the world.

And today, in a gesture of reverse snobbery and self contempt, we impoverish ourselves and each other by rejecting a grammar we don't even understand.

He produced the "greatest body of literature in the world" likely by copying incessantly from other works and writers. That said, I don't think what he wrote is anything special and I remember falling asleep in school trying to read that garbage.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to use proper grammar or with getting your panties wet because someone does. The problem presents itself when others are judged negatively for not using proper grammar, especially to the extreme it's taken by many judgers (someone misspelled a word, so they should be publicly shamed, talked down to, seen as uneducated and stupid, yelled and screamed at, insulted constantly, fired, driven bankrupt, drug out to the parking lot, and beaten to death). It sounds like an exaggeration, but many grammar nazis repeat nothings to themselves until they feel justified something that stupid. They get off on taking positions like these, but the more they do it they dumber and more full of it they sound to me.

I like the mention of accents defining class and worth in England centuries ago, as that is exactly the prejudice and stupidity present when someone's worth is judged (only negatively, as the use of proper grammar gets you nothing) based on their use of proper grammar, how on time they are, etc. Want a sign that someone is stupid? How about the part where they're stupid? Proper grammar and intelligence are not connected. Baggy/sagging pants, blonde hair, southern accents, etc and intelligence are not connected. Being a grammar nazi and being prejudiced, however, are connected.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I would argue that i'd rather have someone who was fixing something of mine be able to fix more over someone who can use a comma correctly

Passacaglia

After looking at answers given on OkCupid, the following is how likely each type is to be concerned with grammar, spelling, etc:
Oh, how I love OKCupid! I guess this one makes me a statistical outlier, 'cause I'm a male INTJ and decidedly not a grammar Nazi. I was raised by an English teacher and later earned a BA in English, but I've been known to out-and-out rant about how absurd English grammar is.

So if anything, I guess that makes me a grammar Ally. ;)

Also, if you're speaking a second language, all judgment is gone.
Oh absolutely! I'm frankly amazed that anyone bothers to learn ESL.

Mole

Permabanned
He produced the "greatest body of literature in the world" likely by copying incessantly from other works and writers. That said, I don't think what he wrote is anything special and I remember falling asleep in school trying to read that garbage.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to use proper grammar or with getting your panties wet because someone does. The problem presents itself when others are judged negatively for not using proper grammar, especially to the extreme it's taken by many judgers (someone misspelled a word, so they should be publicly shamed, talked down to, seen as uneducated and stupid, yelled and screamed at, insulted constantly, fired, driven bankrupt, drug out to the parking lot, and beaten to death). It sounds like an exaggeration, but many grammar nazis repeat nothings to themselves until they feel justified something that stupid. They get off on taking positions like these, but the more they do it they dumber and more full of it they sound to me.

I like the mention of accents defining class and worth in England centuries ago, as that is exactly the prejudice and stupidity present when someone's worth is judged (only negatively, as the use of proper grammar gets you nothing) based on their use of proper grammar, how on time they are, etc. Want a sign that someone is stupid? How about the part where they're stupid? Proper grammar and intelligence are not connected. Baggy/sagging pants, blonde hair, southern accents, etc and intelligence are not connected. Being a grammar nazi and being prejudiced, however, are connected.

Using the word Nazi in your argument simply shows you have lost the argument before you begin.

And being proud of falling asleep reading Shakespeare is the boast of a pond life, only notable for its extreme vulgarity.

And taking the moral high ground against grammar and comparative culture is the cheapest intellectual attitude.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Baggy/sagging pants, blonde hair, southern accents, etc and intelligence are not connected.

I don't know about that. I mean baggy/sagging pants screams LOOK AT ME! PAY ATTENTION TO ME! but not to advertise the vast intelligence of the person wearing them.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
4767.jpg

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
When I write, I want my words to be read and understood. If I didn't care I wouldn't take the time to write them. While I joke about my INFP friend, the truth is that I can think of no better ally as a writer.

I realize that mistakes are inevitable, but I would never deliberately ignore the rules of grammar (poetry gets its own rules though).

I think it is disrespectful to my audience NOT to at least use basic punctuation and capitalization. If I knew I sucked at grammar, I'd get someone to proof it for me. If I am asking someone to take the time to read what I wrote, then I should at least respect them enough to separate the run-ons.

For example, I just saw a post where someone disregarded punctuation rules completely. I felt like they didn't respect anyone's time and thoughts but their own and fully expected everyone to have to sort through that mess then respond. I see it as a form of disrespect and laziness, unless it's real ignorance. Written language must have some basic rules or else it becomes gibberish.

So, grammar Nazi or not, if it's not written half-way readable, I'm not going to read it.

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"you're grammer sucks" - from a self-professed grammar nazi

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My INFP friend...she works for the grammar police, carries a badge and everything.

No, seriously, she's been editing books since I was in diapers. Her house may fall in on her from neglect and her husband may choke on a giant fur ball without her noticing, but she can spot a misspelled word or a misplaced comma from across the room.

I don't think this is attributable to thinking or feeling types. To me, it's a brain function, where you simply spot mistakes. I have this, where I can spot a spelling mistake on a single-spaced typewritten page, automatically. I don't call it a 'skill' because it happens automatically, without thought.

Whether you call out the mistake or judge someone for them is another story. I would think a judging type would be more prone to that behavior.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I don't think this is attributable to thinking or feeling types. To me, it's a brain function, where you simply spot mistakes. I have this, where I can spot a spelling mistake on a single-spaced typewritten page, automatically. I don't call it a 'skill' because it happens automatically, without thought.

Whether you call out the mistake or judge someone for them is another story. I would think a judging type would be more prone to that behavior.

It happens automatically with her, too. I do think it has to do with the fact that she has spent the last thirty years editing. A career of spotting errors makes it like breathing to her.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I love this. I love type-based stats. This one's particularly entertaining. I'm not being sarcastic, seriously.

Got any other stats?

Saffrogen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I do negatively judge people for their grammar, though that fact isn't something I like about myself. I'm definitely a lot less judgmental than I used to be. My grammar isn't perfect always, either.

I get most irritated by long posts dragged out into a single paragraph, incorrect and consistent usage of "your" when "you're" is actually meant, really bad punctuation, and run-on sentences. I'm not bothered by people deliberately avoiding capital letters, or a few mistakes here and there. I am also very forgiving when I know someone is not a native English speaker.

I am not so forgiving in a professional setting, especially when the offender is my boss... I once had a boss who would make me respond to customer email inquires and complaints as if I were him. He never made any of my coworkers do that, and my pay remained at minimum wage. :dry:

All that said, I have never called out someone online or in person for his or her bad grammar, and I don't think I would in the future. I think doing so is mean and unhelpful.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I've never identified with the INTP grammar nazi stereotype. Just sayin'.

This CLEARLY brings your type into question. Non-adherence to INTP grammar Nazi stereotyping is -20 INTP points. :peepwall:

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Being a denizen of a certain country doesn't automatically preclude one from understanding the culture of another.

*nods* I am a xenophile as well. I've even been accused of not being American enough *gasp*.