• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Implying a false personality type

sharpedges

MBTI Type
ENTJ
When I first began adventuring into the typing theory years ago. I did a little test run (tested everyone in sight)... and started learning the hard way from start (but that's irrelevant).

Anyhow, I tested this one particular person (ESTP) and she instantly started saying she used to be an ENTJ. So, of course, I went to an appropriate source to determine whether that's possible. The answer I received was basically - no. People are born with a specific core type and it evolves from their. Ok!

Well, recently she stated it again. Honestly, I can't understand why anyone would electively choose to be like me (I'm not the most liked individual most of the time). I consider her assets to be unquestionable (initially building trust, basic trouble shooting...). But, it gets a little concerning when people start believing they're something they aren't.

To me, this typing is mainly a core characteristic of people (and during stressful periods it's most visible)... and there are many other contributing factors (too many to consider). But, when it comes to direction... I'm fairly certain it's important people know/understand their contributions to be effective vs. destructive.

Am I missing something? I understand ENTJ is the stereotypical wanna-be in the business realm. But, in my opinion, there's no way one can successfully pull it off. Personally, I have a liking to think she believes Ns to be completely gullible (since she's said it repeatedly). I've never once meet a N that didn't value diplomatic and/or stategic intellect the way this person does.

Just throwing that out there for thoughts... because I've reached a plateau of - I know nothing, it's safer that way.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
"Who! Who is implying a false personality type?!"

seinfeldribbon.jpg

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think there is still some controversy over whether types are constant or not. Most of the books seem to say it is a constant, but not everyone agrees.

I think sometimes a person may act like a certain type if they percieve that type to be better than their natural type. Sometimes, conciously or unconciously you might adopt the type of parents, friends, clas mates, co-workers, etc. to fit in better. A person might go from their assumed type to their natural type and see it as a change in type.

Also things like stress, depression and mental problems can cause a change in personality. Some people who have overcome shyness or social anxiety disorder will say they used to be introvert, but no they are not.

Ilah

sleepless

MBTI Type
INFJ
Anyhow, I tested this one particular person (ESTP) and she instantly started saying she used to be an ENTJ. So, of course, I went to an appropriate source to determine whether that's possible. The answer I received was basically - no. People are born with a specific core type and it evolves from their. Ok!
Why wouldn't it be possible? People change through life, especially when they're young. As for me, I can only say that I was an obvious INTP 5-7 years ago (I'm 20 today), believe it or not. Maybe most people don't change like that, but it's not impossible. Not at all.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
You can only be one type your whole life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your friend just made a mistake the first time around in typing herself...

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
LOL, I just miss typed an ENTJ as an ESTP as well. I think it has to do with the use of their tertiary Se along with the more typical "I'm here!" thing that most Es do along with staying true to their more T tendancies.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know an archetypal ESTP (IRL) who tests as an INFJ. It's utterly ridiculous. If she's an INFJ, I'm the queen of England.

Naturally, I'm not going to disabuse her of this because I don't care enough to. Plus, not my problem. She's horribly mistyped.

FWIW: I've always been in eNFJ. I share lacerating behaviors with my ENTJ uncle, but I'm a chip off the old INFJ daddy block. Frankly, I've always exhibited NFJ tendencies that have taken on more or less softer/edgier tones over the course of my life.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I know an archetypal ESTP (IRL) who tests as an INFJ. It's utterly ridiculous. If she's an INFJ, I'm the queen of England.

Naturally, I'm not going to disabuse her of this because I don't care enough to. Plus, not my problem. She's horribly mistyped.

Really?! I always wanted to meet the Queen, and this whole time I was thinking she was an old lady who lived in London. But really she's a 30 yr old in NC and I've been talking to her this whole time. Amazing! :yes: Aren't ESTP and INFJ shadows? I wonder if that has anything to do with her results.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Really?! I always wanted to meet the Queen, and this whole time I was thinking she was an old lady who lived in London. But really she's a 30 yr old in NC and I've been talking to her this whole time. Amazing! :yes:

I'll letcha wear my big ermine-lined cape! Just don't tell the other kids!

Aren't ESTP and INFJ shadows? I wonder if that has anything to do with her results.

Yes, they are. And I can see where she gets tripped up. She has a creative job but her creativity comes out in hands-on stuff, not whimsy or intuition. I think she's mistaken her creativity and ability for intuition.

There's a particular quirk with ESTP typing. They reflect dimly into other types, like for instance, my ENTJ friend, she gets mistaken for ESTP. I've been mistaken for it myself, but that's just in my fiery moments when I'm kicking the guts out of some problem with my Fe. ESTPs have an near unparalleled ability to master their environment and read people, so I can see clearly where something like their Se (always on the hunt for data) would pick up subtleties and confuse that for Intuition.

sharpedges

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Why wouldn't it be possible? People change through life, especially when they're young. As for me, I can only say that I was an obvious INTP 5-7 years ago (I'm 20 today), believe it or not. Maybe most people don't change like that, but it's not impossible. Not at all.

Not to completely single you out... but when I was younger I probably would have tested to be different as well. Naturally, I didn't really fit the mold with the standard girly social requirement. It wasn't any difference in me (I'm fairly certain I'll never change). On the other hand, the environment I'm placed in does have a major impact on my reactions... it takes time before I can be me without completely steamrolling everyone (and that's never the goal!).

Bottomline: I'm inclined to believe the psychologist (nothing personal). Oh, and before there are any assumptions - it wasn't treatment of mine, it was an educational pursuit.

However, I do agree mental stresses do have a significant impact... no one is obsolete from that viewpoint from time to time. But, hey, that's why there are so many emotional gods/goddesses around right?!?!? Bring on the love!

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP

Heh. One of my colleagues tested as ISTJ (my team all did the MBTI test last year). It confused me for ages but I'm pretty sure she's ESTP. In hindsight, I think she just related to the reliable/get things done questions as part of her self-image.

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think trauma could cause people to change types, but I also think it's rare. Generally, type doesn't change.

LucrativeSid

I can see how a person would WANT to be an ENTJ.

In hindsight, I think she just related to the reliable/get things done questions as part of her self-image.

I think things like that happen quite often. There's all kinds of reasons why a person would answer a certain way when taking a test. And then to remove even more clarity, they are too sure of themselves to need to take the test again or consider things further. :doh:

mollyowens

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think trauma could cause people to change types, but I also think it's rare. Generally, type doesn't change.

Your type may not change, but most people test as different types at different points in their lives. You have to understand that Myers Briggs is supposed to describe the way you PREFER to do things, not the way you MUST do things. Our behavior adapts to our surroundings and sometimes MBTI test results capture our current behavior more than our preferred way of being. As a graduate student in psychology, I tested as an INFP. I was having to be very Feeling in learning to be a counselor, but after graduating and reflecting I realized I really did not want to spend my life being touchy-feely! I prefer ENTP, but my test results at the time reflected my efforts to act like an INFP.

Also, type development is presumed to be a natural part of the aging process, so dominant Intuitives will develop Sensing as they grow older, and so on. Test results will sometimes reflect the function you are currently developing, rather than your dominant function. If you've always been a strong Intuitive but are just now discovering how to use Sensing, you might well test as a Sensor.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
I tend to agree with the idea that we don't change our natural type, but sometimes we might look like a different type. This could be due to being in a situation where we are pressured to act different than our naturaual type. Perhaps you change to to fit in with others, because a parent tries to mold you to their type or because I job requires you to use a function that is not your dominant or secondary.

I also agree that as you age and your 3rd and 4th start to develop, they can come out pretty strong and that might change your reading.

Other the other hand, I have read a number of posts from people who feel they have changed type. I don't want to question their self assesment and tell them they must have made a mistake the first time.

Ilah

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think type is something that is what makes the core of who we are and that does not change, but the environmental variables can cause us to develop in ways that are not natural or conducive to the growth of ones type and it can be very easy to think somethign like "I used to be an INTx, but now I'm an INFx". That is merely perception without analysis of why that perception may be. It would be far more acurate for me to say something like "I used to act as and live my life as an INTx, but I realized I was trying to be something I'm not and eventually leading that false existance took its toll and made me ready to accept myself for what I really am; an INFx". In that more detailed statement, I could also see that since I was conforming to the roles that the workplace expected of me, others would have seen me as an INTx, and without understanding of type, I might be tempted to say "I used to be an INTx".

It is understanding of type, and understanding that it is the true motivations and values of the individual that make type and NOT how we act at any given time, or even what we seem to be good at. What motivates us, what we are naturally driven to seek, that which brings us a sense of fulfillment and that which when absent has a noticable effect on us is what defines type to me, and I do not beleive that changes over time, but it may take a lot of time to reach the self awareness of what ones true values and motivations are.

Perseus

MBTI Type
INTP
I think there is still some controversy over whether types are constant or not. Most of the books seem to say it is a constant, but not everyone agrees.

I think sometimes a person may act like a certain type if they percieve that type to be better than their natural type. Sometimes, conciously or unconciously you might adopt the type of parents, friends, clas mates, co-workers, etc. to fit in better. A person might go from their assumed type to their natural type and see it as a change in type.

Also things like stress, depression and mental problems can cause a change in personality. Some people who have overcome shyness or social anxiety disorder will say they used to be introvert, but no they are not.

Ilah

I have surmised from observation that I can change types for small periods, but I am unable to sustain the change without a rest. INXP/INTP can easily regress to INFP under stress, and if needed to ENTP for short periods, but ENFP is not discerned by me, but may be seen by others. Even ESFP has occurred for short periods.

Pharmaceuticals can induce temporary change as well.

I have also seen others change in the presence of their husband from ISFJ to ISTJ/ISFP/ISTP/IXTJ when I believe the default is ISTP.

Even a serious head injury did not make much difference.