• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] A little clarification about Ni?

teothebest

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hi guys, I was wondering how Ni works like for you.

I mean, I am most likely an INTJ, still I have hard time seeing how such a weird thing might be my dom function.
thus, I tried thinking up some examples of what may be classifed Ni and wanted to hear your opinion about it.
lastly, feel free to give some examples taken from your experience.

1)a few days ago, I was away with my mother. we were in a building we'd never seen before. when we had to go back, I was heading my way on the very ame route we took to enter, whereas my mom took another way. I gave a brief stare at the hallway she walked through and I had a bad feeling about, so I told her to come back. in the end it was a dead end and it led nowhere.
how the hell could I know it?

2)many years ago, I was playing with my toys when I suddently felt very bad, and I didn't know why. hence, I ran downstairs and heard my mom crying because our neighbour had just died.

3) I don't know if this really counts (it must be S), still I can recognize my relatives and friends by the noise of their footstep, the noise of their breath and skin smell. I don't really know how, but when someone comes close to me I piece this things subconsciously and get the right guess most of the times.

4)I can easily guess people's intentions. it takes me one glance to realize people's intentions and move accordingly. Still, I can't understand their feelings most of the times XD this includes catching people red-handed gossiping about me, which happens quite often. oh, and of course it saves me from a lot of pranks :D

5) I read through lines when speaking and often say double-meaning sentences on purpose (albeit few seem to understand them :\)

6)when I am taking class with friends, I am usually the quickest to grab concepts and I can turn them from extra-mega-hard theory to the biggest down-to-earth gist in a few secs.
that's why my friends enjoy my help: I put hard stuff in easy words using examples and metaphors.
like today, we were having physics and unfortunately my train was late. once I arrived there, the teacher was explaining something completely new to me. at first I was startled because I didn't know what the hell she was talking about, but once I managed to relate to my previous knowledge and come up with a general pattern, I could do the exercises just as well as the others who had listened to the whole class. I like it when my knowledges fit into a pattern and are coherent one another.

7) I hate learning things by heart, thus I memorize the pattern that leads to the answer instead of the answer itself and then retrieve it once I need. It's stronger than me, I just can't learn stuff by heart if it does not make sense to me.

8) I experience many dreams, most of which are about my current occupation (whether it is a game, a subject, a movie/anime or even a person), put in many different perspectives. that's why I like sleeping, my brain goes wild :D oh, and I can recall my dreams quite easily.

9) I often have deja vuus, although I've never been in that place/experience.

can you relate to these things?

Yaru

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Are you sure you are INTJ?
Your style of writing and what you are describing doesn't sound really INTJish to me. It feels more random and spontaneous to me, you didn't seem to pay attention to tiny details as capital letters and spaces.

I'm not an expert, but Ni is a function that gathers information from concepts an theories and it operates in the internal world dealing with everything that is unseen, and this makes it kind of hard to understand at first.
Ni users first gather all the necessary information from the external world and processes it internally, creating maps and ideas of how the world works around. I don't think is related to foresight or gut feeling. What you are describing sounds more like Ne/Se to me.
What Ni users do is to ''try to predict the future'' using all the information they collected inside and analyzing facts and possibilities, they would try to imagine what is going to happen in a really accurate way, they are more likely to ''construct'' the possibilities rather than ''feel'' them coming.

Hope this makes sense and some way smarter than me INTJ will answer your questions soon :)

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
A lot of threads about this exist, but Ni can be described as an understanding that exceeds what is shown--an abstract notion of how things are beneath the Se veneer, giving subjective insight into the "true" nature of things. Ni basically synthesizes information subconsciously and offers the results consciously.

Points 4) and 5) coincide with my understanding of Ni.

This thread may offer some helpful examples.

teothebest

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
[MENTION=23393]Yaru[/MENTION] well, sort of. the only options I've considered seriously are INTJ, INTP and ISTJ, and INTJ seems the most logical.
first of all, you have to consider that I am not a native and thus might commit spelling/ortography mistakes. moreover, I wouldn't say that focusing on every single detail is a INTJ thing. in my understanding, as long as a detail is irrelevant (whether I use correct ortography or not is not such a big deal, since I convey the message anyway), whereas ISTJ care about every single detail.
besides, I wouldn't call random a bullet list point XD
at any rate, do you know what "nel mio intimo c'è chilly means", which you wrote in your signature? LOL it doesn't sound very Jish XP

Yaru

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
[MENTION=23393]Yaru[/MENTION] well, sort of. the only options I've considered seriously are INTJ, INTP and ISTJ, and INTJ seems the most logical.
first of all, you have to consider that I am not a native and thus might commit spelling/ortography mistakes. moreover, I wouldn't say that focusing on every single detail is a INTJ thing. in my understanding, as long as a detail is irrelevant (whether I use correct ortography or not is not such a big deal, since I convey the message anyway), whereas ISTJ care about every single detail.
besides, I wouldn't call random a bullet list point XD
at any rate, do you know what "nel mio intimo c'è chilly means", which you wrote in your signature? LOL it doesn't sound very Jish XP

Hahah A friend of mine wrote that based on our arguments about MBTI. I think she wrote that for J because she cannot tell whether she's INFP or INFJ and made it sound as confusing as possible. You do not use Chilly? lol.
Well, I was just saying because in most cases INTJs style of writing look kind of like computers to me. (I wasn't exactly referring to orthography)
Why does INTP make more sense than INTJ to you?
Anyway I'm not saying you are not an INTJ, I don't know you well :)

teothebest

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
ehm, I don't know how deep your Italian knowledges are (btw, if you are a native feel free to reply to this post in Italian, there's no point in using a language if we're both more comfortable with another), but "nel mio intimo c'è chilly" has a filthy double-meaning behind it. you basically state that there is something in your intimate parts which is..... you know misunderstandable XD
and you know, a J wouldn't go around showing off what he has in his/her panties..... just saying :D pun intended or not, that's up to you, still that commercial made many people laugh their asses off here in Italy.
and no, I don't use chilly because of obvious anatomical reasons XP

well, I doubted INTJ because I perceive other INTJs I saw online as.... noiosi. really, no offense meant, but many of them waste their times bullshitting around and many also seem to be quite close-minded.
furthermore, I am anything but quiet when I get fired up and tend to procrastinate a lot. basically that's it. still, once I got to read more and learnt about other classification systems (I think that big five and socionics are a good implement to MBTI because they take into account other facet of personality), I understood that INTJ suits me just fine.
btw, just a brief reminder: INTJ's third function is Fi, which is correlated with pride and partiality. thus, they may tend to sound personal and emotionally involved at times.

Yaru

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
[MENTION=23414]teothebest[/MENTION] My first language is italian, and my native language is spanish. I dont know if we can do that. maybe is against the forums rules?
Yeah, that's what is funny. Js would never say it, but they probably use it. :p

well, I doubted INTJ because I perceive other INTJs I saw online as.... noiosi. really, no offense meant, but many of them waste their times bullshitting around and many also seem to be quite close-minded.
furthermore, I am anything but quiet when I get fired up and tend to procrastinate a lot.
Sounds like INTP. Si confondono molto facilmente. Qual e' il tuo livello di comprensione in Inglese? fai molta fatica?
Quando ho cercato di trovare la personalita' el mio ragazzo mi sono ritrovata nel drammmatico bivio che divide INTJ e INTP e non sapevo che direzione prendere.
Poi ho trovato questo:
Books | Oddly Developed Types
E' un approccio molto piu umano ed 'ovvio' e non ti devi uccidere cercando di capire le funzioni al meglio. Dopo aver letto i primi capitoli di entrambi ho detto. BASTA. e' un INTP. Un INTP pulito e che sceglie l'abbigliamento molto piu accuratamente, ma il resto sembra che sia stato scritto da lui.
E' una lettura divertente, te la consiglio :) (li puoi scaricare gratuitamente)

teothebest

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
oh, we're gonna be jailed for defying the English grammar police! (runs toward his bomb shelter).......:D

no dai, sul serio: uno comunica come vuole :D
in realtà no, magari potrebbe non sembrarti, ma sono abbastanza bravo in Inglese (circa C1, se conosci le classificazioni europee), è solo che di rado si incontra qualcuno che parla la propria lingua ed ho pensato bene di approfittarne, magari anche per mettere te più a tuo agio. qualora dovesse essere un problema dimmelo senza paura :D

lo so che detto così sembrerebbe INTP, ma ho fatto diversi test (anche socionics e big five) ed i risultati puntano tutti bene o male verso INTJ, anche se spesso mi riconosco in alcune caratteristiche degli INTP.
ciononostante, un'accurata analisi delle mie funzioni una ad una hanno segnalato una forte prevalenza di Te su Ti e di Fi su Fe( e di Ni su Ne, anche se non così netta), che è incoerente con il profilo di INTP.
beh, in fondo esistono più di 16 esseri umani al mondo, quindi suppongo che sia inevitabile che due membri appartenenti allo stesso gruppo non siano uguali, no?

comunque sia li leggerò tutti. grazie :D

Yaru

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
[MENTION=23414]teothebest[/MENTION] Ahaha, no, sembra che il tuo inglese sia molto buono, solo che a volte siamo meno abituati ad esprimerci o leggere in una certa lingua, quindi un libro puo essere un po' faticoso. (Tipo io fatico molto di piu a leggere in Spagnolo che in Inglese anche se e' la mia lingua madre lol)

Si. Infatti, solo che mi sembri cosi spontaneo che mi fa strano tu possa essere un INTJ, poi siamo tutti diversi, e comunque alla fine il comportamento c'entra poco con MBTI. Comunque i test a volte possono essere erronei. Io risulto quasi sempre INFP , ENFP o INFJ (che non credo si addicano a me per nulla) E in socionics sempre IEI (INFJ in MBTI.) Ma INFP e' esattamente come sono io.
Poi tutti qui pensano che la personalita' sia assoluta, ma io credo che delle tenui tendenze verso altre personalita' le abbiamo lo stesso.
dicono che INFJ e INFP cosi come INTJ e INTP siano molto differenti tra di loro perche non condividono NESSUNA funzione. Mmmmm e allora PERCHE' le domande piu comuni sono sulle differenze tra di essi? Sospetto.
E poi per esempio, dicono che le funzioni inferiori e terziarie siano piu evidenti quando siamo in conflitto, stressati ecc e spesso le usiamo in maniera un po infantile, ma io credo sia molto soggettiva come affermazione. Anche perche in contradizione viene detto che le funzioni non sono abilita' mentali ma solo preferenze, e che un INFP puo essere una persona logica con tendenze ad ascoltare i sentimenti piu che la testa. Allora com'e' che dovremmo avere una Te sottosviluppata per almeno i primi 20/30 anni di vita?
Non so, io mi fido sempre meno delle funzioni anche perche in teoria Ni-Ne , Ti-Te etc dovrebbero funzionare insieme, non da sole. E' ovvio che se usi Te prima c'e stato un raggionamento su Ti. Mah.

teothebest

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
[MENTION=23393]Yaru[/MENTION]. sì beh, ma essendo che praticamente passo la maggior parte delle mie giornate su internet puoi ben immaginare che sia abituato a leggere in Inglese, anzi, a volte mi confondo e mi dimentico persino le parole nella mia lingua nativa (patetico, no? XD)
comunque meglio se il libro è in un inglese complicato: sarà una sfida e portò imparare nuove parole.

non so se valga anche per almeno una delle lingue che parli, ma a volte mi fa senso non essere in grado di esprimermi in Inglese con la pienezza e flessibilità di termini di cui dispongo in Italiano. lo so, uno dovrebbe accontentarsi di essere in grado di trasmettere il messaggio, ma a volte un po' di sofisticatezza di linguaggio non guasta :D

hai ragione, infatti anche io non mi sono fidato del primo test che ho fatto: ne ho fatto diversi, letto i profili delle personalità possibili e messo insieme i pezzi del puzzle.
beh, per giustificare le differenze all'interno di un gruppo (a parte che sono ovvie perchè ciascuno è unico, ma vabbè, ad un livello formale), potremmo dire che certi test distinguono sottocategorie dei canonici 16 gruppi (es. big five INTJ=> RLOEI/RCOEI, socionics INTp=> 1-Te/2-Ni), quindi anche volendo essere precisi esistono distinzioni formali e quantificabili a livello diagnostico, quanto a dire, i test hanno ancora un ampio margine di miglioramento.

a dire il vero il fatto che INTJ/INTP vengano confusi pur avendo funzioni completamente diverse è dato dal fatto che il loro comportamento esteriore è simile, e le domande dei test a prima vista si rivolgono verso aspetti puramente esteriori (es. sei ordinato? sì=J, no=P, ma non è così semplice), mentre il MBTI in realtà valuta processi interiori, visti dal nostro punto di vista soggettivo e non da fuori oggettivamente (per questo è così difficile dare il tipo a vista ad una persona)

in realtà credo che la teoria dica che le funzioni inferiori vengono affinate e messe sotto controllo col tempo: ti faccio un esempio.
quando ero piccolo, ero molto irascibile e suscettibile, e spesso mostravo il mio disappunto apertamente. beh, col tempo ho imparato a controllare il mio Fi in modo da non sembrare uno stronzo a prima vista (beh, a prima vista ;D)

alla fine, l'unica cosa certa è che esistono tante personalità quante ce persone ci sono al mondo, e che nessuno psicologo saprà mai dirci esattamente chi siamo. ed in fondo non conta neppure, perchè noi siamo noi, semplicemente.
malgrado ciò, credo che i sistemi di classificazione, pur con i loro limiti strutturali, siano un buono strumento per approssimare e schematizzare le personalità e le loro interrelazioni.