• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I have a theory on MBTI and moods. Please read

DerekEvans01

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Have you dver noticed a change in people's behaviors based on mood? Are you wondering shy people act completely different in certain moods? Well you're in the right place, because I have an answer to that question. It involves 3 mental states: stress, median, and relaxation. You see, everyone has a base personality(mines obviously ENFP), but everyone also has 6 unique and slightly changed personalities when they are stressed or in an emotional peace. The base personality is activated in the median state(happiness, sadness, normalty, irratableness, depression, and ecstasy), but what I believe happens in the other two states is that another oersonality takes over. Your base personality is still there, but their functions all get pushed down to inferior functions and a new personality takes over. Although this instance is very rare, it happens. An example would be in an INFP turns into an ISTJ when mad basically what will happen is that Fi, ne, si, and te will switch around to the order of functions in the ISTJ type. Another example is a ENFP to ESTP shift, which would invlove ne, fi, te, si being dropped to inferior and se, ti, fe, and ni taking over. In the relaxed state there are 3 moods(boredom, calmness and being focused) and in the stressed state there is threatened, angry, and twisted( twisted is the rarest state and only takes over when the person has gone temporarily mentally insane from all the stress. This mood changes the personality the most) relaxation involves the person's own mind, and stress invloves a target(person not wooden) based on thinking back on the times that I actually have been in these states, these are my personality shifts:
Boredom-INFP Calmness-ENTP Focused-ISTP Threated-ESTP Angry-ISFP Twisted-INTJ/ENTJ(depending on the situation)
Let me know what you think. I'd also be intetested in hearing your inferior personality types as well, so those will be the 2 purposes of this thread. Please no insults.

robowolf

MBTI Type
FREE
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ENFPs under stress don't become ESTPs. They start behaving like their shadow, ISTJ, but in an unhealthy way (because their inferior and in most cases not so developed Si tries to overpower Ne).

Yaru

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I am always an INFP. I get bored like an INFP, calm like an INFP, focused like an INFP (or not focused at all) angry like an INFP hahaha :p .

Being serious.
I may behave like an ENFP when I'm in good company, or like an INTP when I'm mad, or in other occasions I can't think of right now but that's my INTP boyfriend influence mostly.
I could never behave like an ISTJ, is so hard to me, so not into my nature.
Anyway I have a hard time trying to be other people, so I don't know.
I think that I tend to imitate people that are stronger than me.

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Well this reminds me of shadow functions which I had a read on sometime ago, and how certain cognitive functions might take the wheel under certain circumstances.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
How should i explain this.. First you need to look at this beyond just typology. Unconscious contents are connected to other things that are unconscious. Through this type of thing, the inferior and other undeveloped(/undifferentiated) functions work as the gateway to the shadow(and not as in 8 function theory bullshit term, but jungian shadow). Inferior ofc the most as its most undeveloped. When you are encountering stressful situation or something that evokes strong negative emotions, you respond to them instinctually(that is basically the only way to experience shadow when not dreaming/hallucinating or projecting it to something or someone) and your ego gets clouded by complexes and "steps aside for a moment". This in turn gives room for you shadow(which btw is a complex itself) to arise from the depths and because the shadow(and other contents of the unconscious) comes through mainly inferior and to some extend tert(and even lesser through aux), it seems to flip the functions around and make an INFP act more like ESTJ if their shadow takes enough control.

I would suggest to read more about the topic before trying to come up with some theories about it. I mean this what i said was already there in jungs time.

Cygnus

I don't know how correct it is to put Se ESTPs and ISFPs on the "Angry/Threatened" side of the gradient while putting Ne INFPs and ENTPs on the "Calm/Bored" side. ENTPs can be a little more chill than Se-doms but their whole approach to life is still fundamentally the same as that of ESTPs.
I think it's better to use a dichotomy of Fi-PoLR for the ENTPs and ESTPs and Fi-Valuing for ENFPs and INFPs.

I like the way you mentioned NFP/STJ duality, though. A stressed INFJ disintegrating into an ESTP could be an analog of sorts to E2 disintegration into E8. NFPs often find themselves seeking STJ idyllics as they grow older and more jaded. IMO Duality is the best way of understanding type behaviors and how they integrate or disintegrate, if they even do.

Researcher

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
bad
Have you dver noticed a change in people's behaviors based on mood? Are you wondering shy people act completely different in certain moods? Well you're in the right place, because I have an answer to that question. It involves 3 mental states: stress, median, and relaxation. You see, everyone has a base personality(mines obviously ENFP), but everyone also has 6 unique and slightly changed personalities when they are stressed or in an emotional peace. The base personality is activated in the median state(happiness, sadness, normalty, irratableness, depression, and ecstasy), but what I believe happens in the other two states is that another oersonality takes over. Your base personality is still there, but their functions all get pushed down to inferior functions and a new personality takes over. Although this instance is very rare, it happens. An example would be in an INFP turns into an ISTJ when mad basically what will happen is that Fi, ne, si, and te will switch around to the order of functions in the ISTJ type. Another example is a ENFP to ESTP shift, which would invlove ne, fi, te, si being dropped to inferior and se, ti, fe, and ni taking over. In the relaxed state there are 3 moods(boredom, calmness and being focused) and in the stressed state there is threatened, angry, and twisted( twisted is the rarest state and only takes over when the person has gone temporarily mentally insane from all the stress. This mood changes the personality the most) relaxation involves the person's own mind, and stress invloves a target(person not wooden) based on thinking back on the times that I actually have been in these states, these are my personality shifts:
Boredom-INFP Calmness-ENTP Focused-ISTP Threated-ESTP Angry-ISFP Twisted-INTJ/ENTJ(depending on the situation)
Let me know what you think. I'd also be intetested in hearing your inferior personality types as well, so those will be the 2 purposes of this thread. Please no insults.

I believe your theory that a person's type can "wobble" around through different moods is right, although i think you are going overboard in the amount of change. I can see an ENFP going into INFP mode if flung really madly into an Fi mood for example, but it will never get too far from the basetype. Suggesting that it become it's total 180 degrees opposite is too far fetched, like from NeFi/ENFP to SiTe/ISTJ >> is a feature I havent seen humanly possible up to now, in my life's experience.

It is my theory that reptiles can be flung through all types by the sun, the sun controls their behavior/type totally. Mammals have an internal thermostat which enables a stable type through all seasons. Thats why you can type mammals, while reptiles behave similar (in the same season / time of day).
The sun could probably also have effect on humans, although humans deny it. Think of people going out of the house in summer, enjoying, showing-off, living in the moment, getting "horny', etc >> They become more hedonistic = Se-like. Humans like to rationalize it away. But if you would just be observing it as an alien from a UFO, you wouldnt care for their rationalities/excuses, but would just be observing a slight adjustment of their type/behavior. In winter (the opposite of summer) they go inside and hide, and see through all bullshit of summer (Ni-mode). Just an example.

But yes, even though humans are pretty stable types, types still wobble a bit. And some wobble more than others. Think Bi-polar disorder for example. This could be something like cycling from ENFP-Ne-mania to INFP-Fi-depression and back again.
Actually every one has cycles of moods/type-displacement, and these cycles are usually quite regular and predictable btw, I have tracked my own mood/type-dispacement cycles over 2 years actually. I think I am pretty stable, but I have high's and low's, I can predict when they come.

For those who believe in shadow possession, like an ENFP becoming ISTJ: I dont share that belief. Every ENFP trail you leave in this world will simply leave a shadow trail of ISTJ. It is in the eyes of the observer to know your underlying intent. The function and its opposite leave the same trails. I can explain about the workings of the shadow if you are interested.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
> INFP turns into an ISTJ

it's true in a way, although when i, as a probable infp get mad and act out (very rare for enneagram nine but happens on the internet), i don't really loose my intuition, to the contrary, i surrender to it completely, this gives me enough Ni to seem more like an INTJ, than ISTJ. Ni is the demonstrative function of JiNe types, you know. it means it's available but often discarded. Ni is being like shiva in the context of anger, it's an intuitive goal orientation, i predict your demise. ISTJ has a conservative attitudes and retreats into wooden rigid perfectionism when angry, he is too "good" or 'perfect' or 'right' for a burning conflict, INTJ has reformer attitude and becomes fire, when angry. intuition is the fire element. when i get mad, i am always in a reformer mindest. my usual Fi mode will peacefully and patiently suggest a better world. some trolls come along and shit on it. i kill them all, with fire and Te. this is what my anger looks like. the only other explanation for this is that i am actually isfp. Isfp has Ni as well, but i'm not sure why it would be accessible, while he extroverts his sensation, which he surely does when in anger. extroversion of sensation limit the introversion of intuition. intuition without introversion is paranoid, when in the unconscious. the isfp would perhaps loose confidence through paranoia, instead of gaining 'shiva' confidence, when angry. nevertheless i don't loose anchor in Si either, so there is something to be said for the perspective that would see me as ISTJ, in a purely theoretical way and without taking enneagram into account.

Researcher

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
bad
> INFP turns into an ISTJ

it's true, although when i, as a probable infp get mad and act out (very rare for enneagram nine but happens on the internet), i don't really loose my intuition, to the contrary, i surrender to it completely, this gives me enough Ni to seem more like an INTJ, than ISTJ. Ni is the demonstrative function of JiNe types, you know. it means it's available but often discarded. Ni is being like shiva in the context of anger, it's an intuitive goal orientation, i predict your demise. ISTJ has a conservative attitudes and retreats into wooden rigid perfectionism when angry, he is too "good" for conflict, INTJ has reformer attitude and becomes fire, when angry. intuition is the fire element. when i get mad, i am always in a reformer mindset. my Fi mode will peacefully suggest a better world. some trolls come along and shit on it. i kill them all, with fire. this is what my anger looks like. the only other explanation for this is that i am actually isfp. Isfp has Ni as well, but i'm not sure why it would be accessible, while he extroverts his sensation, which he surely does when in anger. extroversion of sensation limit the introversion of intuition. intuition without introversion is paranoid, when in the unconscious. the isfp would perhaps loose confidence through paranoia, instead of gaining 'shiva' confidence, when angry.

Thank you for your contribution. May I sit next to you , as member on your team (of exploring and understanding your personality to the fullest). Even though I do not know you, I sense that you already know a whole lot about MBTI and have been on the MBTI boat for quite a while. Although I could be wrong, my intuition somehow tells me you rightly know you are an INFP. But may I point out something to you, how you could slightly improve your understanding?

I noticed that you said that you think that Fi can peacefully suggest a better world. But I wanted to let you know that it is your optimistic/idealizing/utopian/possibility-seeking Ne worldview which is showing that to you. It is your Ne perception! Not your Fi action/judgement.
Fi is totally not optimistic, it is a blocking function. Even though some pink colored books describe Fi as an INFJ fairytale, I'm afraid its totally not true. Fi is a powerful enforcing function that blocks the operation of hostile ideas from "the enemy". You, as an Fi-dom, are a mighty warrior. In case Fi comes on very strong, it can block so well that can even block your Ne. This is blinding rage. It is blinding as in "no perception function" and works with action/judgement only at those "Raging" moments. However, that never lasts forever, the optimism you talk about is when you are done acting through your Fi and you look through your Ne perception function again.
To explain it intuitively, it is Fi which is the red fighting spirit and Ne which is the pure virgin white spirit of possibility. The mix is pink. Both the ENFP & INFP are in this mix.
In an ENFP the perception is always dominant and thus Fi cannot totally block perception, the ENFP can never go "blind", but is also less strong as it is not willing to go so far with Fi. In an INFP Fi is dominant and it has the ability to totally close perception (its opportunistic Ne worldview) if it feels bad enough according to Fi. It can go all the way, which makes it the mightiest warrior.

To give you more insight > What I said on top is to make sure your Fi does not block. I know your Ne will understand this, but I know that if I come on too strong your Fi might not feel right about me and block me totally, invalidating all I say. (Hope this also bit helps as well for the insight.)

P.S. As for Ni, it is not involved in rage/anger. Ni is totally emotionless, cold, and it always hides. It does not really predict someone else's demise, it is more about its own demise of which Ni is constantly paranoid and the reason the Ni-user prepares far far far ahead and why they are called far-seeing or clair-voyant. They can hear doom coming from miles away. (for example an army of Fi-users storming on the horizon to finish them off). Basically Ni sees doom, and Fi makes doom. ;)

You as an INFP do not see doom. you are a mighty warrior that can cause doom, but if you are not, you do not see doom, you see a very optimistic/idealistic Ne perception. Sometimes Fi hurts a lot and will only let the best come through to Ne (blocking out the nasty). In that case Ne can be kept in a sort of illusion with such restrictive Fi filter, an seeing idealistic world while the rest is blocked out. Thats why the INFP is commonly called the "idealist", living in its own pink-colored world. However, this is commonly misunderstood as in Fi being some happy flower-power function, which it is not. Fi is a hardcore strong warrior nobody can mess with, or it will take them down all the way, even willing to take themselves down in the process, on which other functions will back-off to save themselves. This s the power of Fi.