• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Cognitive functions hinder rather than help

Himeko009

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The title is self explanatory.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Cognitive Functions, or personality typology in general?

pmj85

Wait, what?

The cognitive functions are the MBTI - it's an adaptation of Jung's theory of Personality Types (Vol 6).

Not sure if troll, or severe lack in understand.

:doh:

velveteen

Senior citizen
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are you talking about the inferior functions?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I don't think the title was self explanatory lol

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Pretty much, yeah. May as well go with a theory involving magical brain fairies, homunculi that pull microscopic levers that dictate our temperament.

Gotta admit, though, that the title isn't exactly self-explanatory.

PocketFullOf

literally your mother
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
pot
Do you mean that trying to type ourselves by cognitive functions limits out individuality and hinders our insight into our own mental processes and therefore hinders our cognitive capacity in the process? I agree that we can probably use any of the 8 functions and jingoism theory is a bit strict, but the theory is only a guideline, we shouldn't feel the need to operate or limit ourselves to the box but use it to help us see our general proclivities and whatnot.

If that's not what you mean then the title is not self-explanatory where I am concerned. Even if it is, it could have been made clearer but I understand English is not your first language...this one may have been lost in translation.

Mane

Permabanned
The title is self explanatory.

Do you mean...
  1. Viewing ourselves and other people through the lense of function typology hinders our ability to understand.
  2. Going by cognitive functions hinders the typing process itself and you'd rather go by the dichotomies or profiles.
  3. The cognitive functions in your brain hinder your own thought process, or you see it doing so to others.
  4. Somethin else?

Kephalos

J.M.P.P. R.I.P. B5: RLOAI
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I don't know what the OP meant, but I think they hinder clear thinking by introducing too much jargon: even Myers-Briggs test letters don't have clear or self-evident meaning, but cognitive functions are even more difficult to make sense of. Second, they represent skills that at one point or another every well-rounded person must use. Given that they are eight then there are many possible ways in which a person might develop some and not others. Finally, in my experience with supposed tests of them, they never appear in the order in which Jung or other psychologists suppose they should, which maybe is a problem with the nature of unverified internet tests, but sometimes the tests come with very weird results in light of Jung.

Himeko009

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wait, what?

The cognitive functions are the MBTI - it's an adaptation of Jung's theory of Personality Types (Vol 6).

I'm talking about the differentiation of socionics and MBTI. The explanations of the functions in MBTI are very vague and simplistic. It is not unusual to find people on forums with the thought "I have a good memory, it's mean I use Si", "You only use 4 functions", etc ...

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Wait, what?

You haz got to be kidding. You can definitely subscribe to the MBTI without buying into the so-called "cognitive functions," and certainly without accepting the goofy Harold Grant functions model that says INFP=Fi-Ne-Si-Te — which, FYI, is a model that's inconsistent with both Jung and Myers.

For more, see this post.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm talking about the differentiation of socionics and MBTI. The explanations of the functions in MBTI are very vague and simplistic. It is not unusual to find people on forums with the thought "I have a good memory, it's mean I use Si", "You only use 4 functions", etc ...

It's not unusual to find a lot of basic and erroneous ideas on forums. That doesn't make the theory itself a hindrance. I have been thinking about the functions and their accuracy or lack thereof lately and I would definitely be interested to hear more about why you think the functions are a problem. I don't find the title self-explanatory, though. Some examples would be much appreciated.