• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Te vs Ti court deposition (video)

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
True. Any time he talks about motorbikes or public transport he demonstrates that perfectly. :D
Give them to the Belgians. :laugh:

There are millions of examples of James May carrying on endlessly about some esoteric minutiae and exasperating Clarkson in his quest for POWERRRRRRRR!!!

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, in that case, it was clear game playing. Who doesn't know what a photocopier is? We don't know what the context was, but given the transcript we were given, the supposed "Ti user" was very clearly playing a game.

Perhaps he had reason to, perhaps not. Maybe saying that there was a photocopier in use would have led to consequences, and most of the case was spent with the prosecutor just trying to make the defendant say something like that.

I'm not so sure it was. His lawyer, yeah, probably. But I have brain farts like that all the time, and I actually can see myself needing some simple clarification to make sure we're all talking about the same thing.

I get the impression this guy was just an office worker who may or may not have much of any idea what the lawsuit is about. If he was some main player in the lawsuit, then yeah, I'd find it hard to believing it wasn't some semantic tomfoolery. But I can see myself being questioned like this and- if I'm not given a full context beforehand (to cancel out certain possibilities that occur to me)- all sorts of extra things go through my mind about what might qualify as "photocopier."

I actually have had Te doms simply repeat my question back at me- instead of giving me the simple clarification I need- with a really angry tone (as if they can't believe anyone could be that stupid). What this forum is helping me glean is that it really is that difficult for them to "drop everything" and search their internal data banks for other words to describe what they mean (because their goal is rushing past this solitary point to complete some bigger picture)- that the emotional charge I'm looking at isn't directly disbelief that I'm so stupid, but anger that I'm holding up the progress they crave/need (and probably some disbelief that I don't have that same goal in mind).

Jaguar

Well, in that case, it was clear game playing. Who doesn't know what a photocopier is?

"Xerox that file" has been used in office settings for years. Did you notice the guy said, "Xerox" at the end of the video?

The word "xerox" is commonly used as a synonym for "photocopy". For example, check the following sentences:

"I xeroxed the document."
"Please make a xerox copy of the articles"

Both are common usages but the word ‘Xerox’ is actually the brand name of a company which provides the photocopier machines!

In 1959, Chester Carlson developed the process of xerography. With this technique, the Xerox company introduced the first plain paper photocopier machine. The popularity of these photocopiers led ‘Xerox’ as a synonym for ‘photocopy’. But the company does not excuse such uses of its trademark and always trying to convince the public that Xerox should not be used as a verb. The ‘Xerox’ company declared that-
"You cannot 'xerox' a document, but you can copy it on a Xerox Brand copying machine".
(Note that xerox is functionally a verb in this sentence.)

In spite of their efforts, many dictionaries continued to mention the use of "xerox" as a verb, including the Oxford English Dictionary.
I still say ‘xerox’ as a verb, but I'm trying not to use the brand name. Personally, I don't think that there is any single term which most people use for photocopying. Some people would say xerox, some just say copy. Even some people also do say "photocopy".

Xerox Or Photocopy?? - English Dictionary

Personally, I found the whole video absurd/comical. Xerox has been used as a verb (just like Google is used as a verb, today) for decades, so I laughed out loud listening to that guy yelling his head off when he should have been yelling at himself for being an ignorant ass.

ygolo

My termites win
"Xerox that file" has been used in office settings for years. Did you notice the guy said, "Xerox" at the end of the video?

Personally, I found the whole video absurd/comical. Xerox has been used as a verb (just like Google is used as a verb, today) for decades, so I laughed out loud listening to that guy yelling his head off when he should have been yelling at himself for being an ignorant ass.

I was thinking that it would have been easy to just say a macine that makes copies or something like that. Because, I was thinking copy machine vs. photo copying vs. xerox, etc. could have legal consequences. So answering from the beginning, that there was a xerox machine could have been a trap.

Outside of legal circles though, I would think it was verbal game playing. Unless, of course, you're telling me that it's common for office workers to not realize that a xerox machine is a photo copier. Then, I'd have learned something new.

93JC

I saw this video when it came out months ago, and I saw it again a few weeks ago, and my renewed curiosity led me to the full transcript.

The case was about the Cuyahoga County Recorder's Office of Cuyahoga County, Ohio charging for copies of the documents they recorded. David Marburger was the lawyer representing a couple of companies that were in the business of repackaging the records—deeds, property transactions, etc.—and selling the information to banks and other lending agencies. The county recorder's office had been charging people $2 per page of photocopies, and at some point the head of the recorder's office decided that the $2 per 'page' charge should be meted out for every 'copy', including burnt CDs with digital 'copies'. The recorder's office argued that "a copy is a copy". One of the companies Mr. Marburger represented wanted a CD copy of over 100,000 digitized 'pages' of documents, and so the recorder's office was going to charge them over $200,000 for it.

What was really ridiculous about this was that the office burned CD copies for themselves every single day anyway. The only cost to the office was the cost of the blank CD-Rs (or CD+Rs, or CD-RWs; they argued about that in the deposition too).

The guy who was being deposed, Larry Patterson, was the manager of the IT department. He had very clearly been coached by his lawyer and was absolutely jerking Marburger around. Patterson attributed the difference in terminology to a generational thing.

Here's what followed that exchange, to give you an idea of the tone of the rest of the deposition:

Q: Xerox. Is the machine made by the Xerox
Company? Is that why it's called Xerox?
A: No.
Q: So xerox, in the parlance that you've described,
the language that you've described, is being used
generically as opposed to describing a particular
brand; is that right?
A: All of my life I've just known people to say
xerox. It's not commonplace to use the terminology
that you're using.
Q: You mean it's more -- people say xerox instead
of photocopy?
A: If you're referring to a type of machine where
you place a piece of paper on the top and press a
button and out comes copies of it, they usually refer
to it as xerox.
Q: Have you ever heard it referred to as
photocopying?
A: Not with my generation, no.
Q: And you've never heard anybody in the Recorder's
office refer to that as photocopying; is that true?
A: I don't remember any specific instance where
that's referred to as photocopying.
Q: Have you ever heard it referred to as
photocopying in any office context?
A: I've always heard of it as xerox.
Q: Let me be clear: You've never heard of that
called photocopying; is that correct, Mr. Patterson?
A: When people speak of using a type of machine
that you described, they speak of it as could you
make a xerox of that or could you xerox this for me.
Q: But you've never heard them refer to that as
photocopying; is that correct?
A: I'm sure it's been said. I don't remember any
specific instance. What i remember is it referred to
as xeroxing a piece of paper to make additional
copies.
Q: I know. You've told us that.
Let's be very clear here. You've never heard
that process called "photocopying." Is that true or
false?
A: I'm sure the term has been used by someone.
Q: Because you've heard that or you're just
guessing?
A: I do not remember a specific instance where
someone used the term "photocopying." My generation
and people around me typically refer to placing an
image on the top of a machine and having two or three
copies come out as xeroxing.
Q: Okay. Would it be synonymous in your
understanding with xeroxing to call that
photocopying?
A: I don't know. I don't know what the legal
definition of photocopying is.
Q: I don't know if there is a legal definition.
I'm talking about what lay people say.
MR. CAVANAGH: Aren't we
asking the Ohio Supreme Court to
decide that issue?
MR. MARBURGER: No.
MR. CAVANAGH: No?
MR. MARBURGER: You might
be. I'm not.
MR. CAVANAGH: Why don't you
just call it a copy machine. Why do
you have to call it a photocopier?​
BY MR. MARBURGER:
Q: I can call it anything I want to call it. I
want to see if you understand what I'm talking about.
A: I call it a xerox.
Q: Do you happen to know the names of the units
that you have that xerox? Do you happen to know what
they are -- what brand they are and what model or
unit they are?
A: I should, but right now, due to the pressure
that you're placing me under, it's not coming to
mind.
Q: I'm not placing -- am I placing you under
pressure, Mr. Patterson?
A: I think it begins with an M. I can't remember
currently.
Q: Do you feel that I'm placing you under pressure?
MR. CAVANAGH: Be honest.​
A: Yes. This is not my normal environment. I'm
not a lawyer and, you know, I'm nervous that my
answers -- you will try to use in a way in which I
wouldn't intend them to be.
Q: Well, you're in control of that. If you give us
an honest, forthright, clear answer, you'll decide
whether your testimony can be used in a strange or
odd way. That's up to you, not up to me.​

Marburger was happy to let Patterson prolong the deposition, because the more Patterson talked the more he made himself look like a deliberately evasive idiot. According to Marburger in reality he never shouted at Patterson, and Patterson was not very nervous at all:

"My game plan became to see how far he'd go with what I perceived as a charade caused by the way his lawyers had prepared him to be deposed," said Marburger. "The purpose of stringing it out was to show that he'd go to great lengths to avoid admitting the obvious, which would then make the recorder's office look bad in the eyes of the Ohio Supreme Court justices."

Marburger, a partner at Cleveland-based BakerHostetler, said Patterson played right into his hands as he sat back in his chair and kept delivering questions in a bemused manner. And he said Patterson wasn't nervous or intimidated, either.

"I actually wanted him to keep up what I perceived as a charade. Once he chose the path that he took, I didn't want a straight answer; I wanted him to keep it going," said Marburger. "That was why I kept pushing over the course of 10 pages of transcript. To me, the testimony became too good to be true. It was perfect."

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have to agree with [MENTION=7842]Z Buck McFate[/MENTION]

When I saw the video my first reaction was "why the hell doesn't the lawyer immediately improvise a definition like a machine to produce a copy from the content of one page onto another page" and yes, in a legal context I too would be very careful about my wording and have the other person phrase their question as specific as possible. It basically irritated me as much to see the lawyer guy avoid providing a clear definition as it irritates Te users to see the witness refuse an answer :D

The longer extract and additional info provided by [MENTION=5837]93JC[/MENTION] helped a lot in understanding the background of that exchange.

Case in point: I own a 3-in-1 machine that I primarily use to scan documents and images but that is also a printer and can theoretically be used as a copier when it scans and prints an original. However, the printing function currently isn't working. Do I own a photocopier? And imagine millions of dollars depending on the answer!

93JC

The following is a re-enactment of an actual exchange in a courtroom in Rome, Georgia last month. The defendant, Denver Fenton Allen, is accused of murdering another inmate at the Floyd County Jail last year. He was being held there on charges of making terroristic threats. He has a long rap sheet going back to 2002, and was previously incarcerated at the Augusta State Medical Prison from 2009 to 2015.

[The full transcript.]

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9?
Instinctual Variant
sp
I remember this clip; it's hilarious.

I learned how to do that from my INTJ dad. I can answer the question you wanted to ask or I can answer one of the many ways the question can be twisted and contorted to. Depends on whether or not I want to answer the actual question.

I think my mom's a Ti-tert and she does this; or she'll answer in a way that hinges on her personal definitions and associations that I don't share or even know. It's annoying as fuck.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
TT have you accepted yet that you are smart?

you probably trhought i was insincere because you are not as smart as me

if you are not as smart as me, then FUCKING BELIEVE IT WHEN I CALL YOU SMJART

Clegane

MBTI Type
ISTP
Lol, after watching the video I'm pretty sure that I'm an ISTJ and not an ISTP. Thanks for clearing my doubts about the difference between the Ts.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
That surely rings quite a few bells. I really hate when people can't fill the blanks with common sense and what is relevant for our current situation.

VeniVidiVertigo

MBTI Type
Entj
Enneagram
3w4
Torture, pure torture. He is a god damn bully, tormenting the -Te guy tring to get a straight answer.

Clegane

MBTI Type
ISTP
I would love to see more of these kind of threads. We could create a thread where we post all of these kind of videos to show examples of interactions between the functions.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
It reminds me of the paradox (I think that's the correct term) of the donkey that can't decide whether to eat the bale of hay to the left or the bale of hay to the right, so it starves and dies.

It seems like Te guy could just explain what he means straight up, i.e. go straight to the explanation that he gives towards the end, and the Ti guy could just answer based on what he knows the guy meant. I can relate more to the Ti guy, since I can understand not wanting to answer an inexact question, but I can't really relate to using personal attacks on someone to such an extent instead of just explaining what was meant.

So there's a roadblock. Ti guy thinks the question needs to be explained differently, and Te guy thinks it doesn't, and instead of either of them giving in and going for what I think is the easier option, an argument ensues.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Came across this on PerC. Apparently, this is a re-enactment of a real life court deposition.

Te user may recognize this conversation from their own experiences. :laugh:

It's giving me flashbacks to a lot of conversations with my ISTP Dad. You can't get a straight answer because apparently you haven't asked the correct, effing question. :doh::BangHead:

I'm curious, which side do you consider to be Te and Ti? Because all I see is Te on both sides. Te is objective driven. The lawyer being elusive is doing so with a clear objective - win the case by any means. There is nothing about Te that says it can't be machiavellian and underhanded. The other guys objective is also clear and basically the same - win. It's just that his approach is more straight forward. Of course, keeping things straight forward would probably win him the case.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I learned how to do that from my INTJ dad. I can answer the question you wanted to ask or I can answer one of the many ways the question can be twisted and contorted to. Depends on whether or not I want to answer the actual question.

I don't usually pull this unless I reaaaally don't like the person asking me the question. Or, its a total stranger who is asking random, prying questions.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It reminds me of the paradox (I think that's the correct term) of the donkey that can't decide whether to eat the bale of hay to the left or the bale of hay to the right, so it starves and dies.

It seems like Te guy could just explain what he means straight up, i.e. go straight to the explanation that he gives towards the end, and the Ti guy could just answer based on what he knows the guy meant. I can relate more to the Ti guy, since I can understand not wanting to answer an inexact question, but I can't really relate to using personal attacks on someone to such an extent instead of just explaining what was meant.

So there's a roadblock. Ti guy thinks the question needs to be explained differently, and Te guy thinks it doesn't, and instead of either of them giving in and going for what I think is the easier option, an argument ensues.

It's a dillema

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That surely rings quite a few bells. I really hate when people can't fill the blanks with common sense and what is relevant for our current situation.

Or, worse, when they can but refuse to. Deliberately obtuse.

"If I refuse to try to understand your logic by fabricating "missing links," then I don't have to agree with it or even argue with it."