• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] How well do we match on OkCupid?

baccheion

I'm conducting an experiment to see how well I match with users on this site. I'm trying to figure out how well I'd get along with everyone, and decided to use OkCupid's match questions to do so. So, could you please visit my profile, then reply with the match %, friend %, and enemy % you got.

www.okcupid.com/profile/impresent

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
51% Match
20% Enemy

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
73%, and I'll inform you that the OKCupid match ratings only give you a rough estimate. My favorite person I met on the site was someone whose score was in the 70s, and my least favorite person, an individual who really rubbed me the wrong way, had a score in the 90s.

EDIT: 6% for enemy.

PocketFullOf

literally your mother
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
pot
40% match 29% enemy.

BTW I took the long "scientific" personality test on there and got ISTP...I mean what the fuck is that?!?!?!

baccheion

73%, and I'll inform you that the OKCupid match ratings only give you a rough estimate. My favorite person I met on the site was someone whose score was in the 70s, and my least favorite person, an individual who really rubbed me the wrong way, had a score in the 90s.

EDIT: 6% for enemy.

Yea, the match scores seem to work well to get a sense of things. They seem to work better if questions are answered honestly, weighted accurately, and if irrelevant questions are skipped. The enemy % seems to be very consistent overtime and seems to be the most accurate (17% or less is good).

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
0% match 0% enemy but i only signed up to see quiz results.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
baccheion said:
Yea, the match scores seem to work well to get a sense of things.
Not when my best match gets a 70 and my worst match gets a 90. It's a pretty big miscalculation. I reckon part of the problem is that the website doesn't take major things like body language and manner of speech into account. At least it's not as bad as PlentyOfFish, which, judging by the fact that I'm at the top of my own matches list, seems to operate on the premise that anyone looking for a date is a narcissist.

baccheion said:
They seem to work better if questions are answered honestly, weighted accurately, and if irrelevant questions are skipped.
I'm not sure how you're forming this opinion unless you tried answering questions dishonestly, weighting them inaccurately, and responding to the irrelevant ones.

baccheion

Not when my best match gets a 70 and my worst match gets a 90. It's a pretty big miscalculation. I reckon part of the problem is that the website doesn't take major things like body language and manner of speech into account. At least it's not as bad as PlentyOfFish, which, judging by the fact that I'm at the top of my own matches list, seems to operate on the premise that anyone looking for a date is a narcissist.

I'm not sure how you're forming this opinion unless you tried answering questions dishonestly, weighting them inaccurately, and responding to the irrelevant ones.

If you answer questions in a way that's not inline with what you actually want, then someone may answer inline with what you said you wanted, rather than what you actually wanted, and that will artificially increase their match score. Also, if you take a very important question and weigh it lower, then someone answering that question correctly won't boost their match score as much as it should. Or, more commonly, if you weigh a question too heavily (especially one where most answer in the expected way), then it will greatly exaggerate someone's match %. Answering irrelevant questions will dilute the distribution of the match %, and give people an increased score for answering questions you don't care about. For example, if you answered 10 questions, but 8 of them were irrelevant to you, then someone could correctly answer those 8 questions only (skipping the other 2) and even though the other 2 are very important, they'll still get an "8/10." This will make it seem as though they are great matches, even though they really aren't (would answer the 2 questions you care about incorrectly).

I'm not sure what's going on in the specific situation you talk about, though. That seems strange. I've heard of people noticing they get along better with people with lower matches (communication is easier) in certain cases, but there usually isn't a reversal like this. They usually say they could see how the higher match could work in theory, but the spark wasn't there. My theory is that people aren't answering the important questions, answering enough of them (300+), answering them correctly, weighing them appropriately, and ignoring the other questions.

What were the enemy matches of the two people you mention? How many questions have you all answered?

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
baccheion said:
If you answer questions in a way that's not inline with what you actually want, then someone may answer inline with what you said you wanted, rather than what you actually wanted, and that will artificially increase their match score. Also, if you take a very important question and weigh it lower, then someone answering that question correctly won't boost their match score as much as it should. Or, more commonly, if you weigh a question too heavily (especially one where most answer in the expected way), then it will greatly exaggerate someone's match %. Answering irrelevant questions will dilute the distribution of the match %, and give people an increased score for answering questions you don't care about. For example, if you answered 10 questions, but 8 of them were irrelevant to you, then someone could correctly answer those 8 questions only (skipping the other 2) and even though the other 2 are very important, they'll still get an "8/10." This will make it seem as though they are great matches, even though they really aren't (would answer the 2 questions you care about incorrectly).
It's also entirely possible that disregarding all of the guidelines you just set forth will hook you up with an excellent match. A million things are

It should be pointed out that the level of importance you place on a question has a large impact on how much it gets factored into your match scores.

baccheion said:
I'm not sure what's going on in the specific situation you talk about, though. That seems strange.
It doesn't seem a bit strange to me. The information they collect from you about yourself is only a small, possibly deceptive sample of the whole.

baccheion said:
They usually say they could see how the higher match could work in theory, but the spark wasn't there.
Nope, in my particular case I can't even concede that point. What is the opposite of a spark? Something like a cold little fleck of ice. That's what was there--an outright frostiness.

I correctly answered well over 300 questions. I don't recall how many they answered or what their enemy scores were.