• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does your voice match your type?

Does your voice match your type?

• Absolutely

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Ehh, close enough

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Not even sort of

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've always been fascinated by the human voice. (Which is kind of strange, since I easily tire of the sound of people talking.) Lately I've been wondering if there's any correlation between the MBTI types and their voices. Do different types have their own unique vocal traits?

For instance, I'm an INTJ, and I have quite a deep voice, with very little modulation. When I'm talking about something that interests or excites me, there's some fluctuation in my pitch, but not much. The few other INTJs I've met have had similar voices. My boyfriend, on the other hand, is an ENFP, and his voice is somewhere in the middle of the vocal range, but when he's excited, he talks A MILE A MINUTE. And very often, his sentences end with an upward inflection, like he's asking a question. Sometimes I can't help but tease him about it, because it makes him sound like a Valley girl.

So what about you? Does your voice reflect your type?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't know. I have a tendency to speak quickly because I don't love speaking that much. I would much rather send an email or text. My voice is probably somewhat deep for a woman. My ENFJ, who you would think would be much more bubbly and vocal, isn't. He has a really deep, attention getting voice and I think most people tend to hear him the first time so, no repeating.

Glint

ಠ﹏ಠ
MBTI Type
TiNi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't know! I have a very high and soft (but not shrill) voice, much to my chagrin. I speak very quietly and have difficulty raising my voice. Around most people my voice probably comes off as very muted/restrained and I have to consciously try to inject emotion into my tone of voice, unless I am worked up about something. I don't speak slowly but I do frequently pause or say "uhh..." mid-sentence if I haven't deliberately rehearsed the entire sentence prior to speaking. I think and revise my word choice even as I speak; I am not able to sacrifice accuracy for fluency.

I haven't had anyone comment on my halting speech before but it bothers me immensely as I see it being very disruptive to the flow of my words (as well as making me seem perpetually unsure or unconfident in my words.)
I'm not entirely sure how to interpret this thread but if the sharp drops in Ti (as opposed to Te) can be likened to pauses, then that's me.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My voice is deep and soft, like an INFP :)

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I talk super fast and have a bit of a twang on some words. I can't pronounce the "v" sound in "never" or "over". Sometimes my voice is high and raspy, other times it's almost like a snarl, other times it's flat and low. Mostly flat and low, but an old teacher of mine said I have a soft voice :shrug:

PocketFullOf

literally your mother
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
pot
my voice is rather deep and monotone for a girl. It's not the deepest though and I'm not completely monotone, but sometimes I use inflection incorrectly.

WalkingOnBothSides

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
According to that thing my voice is somewhere in between Fi and Ne which are the two biggest functions for INFP, right?

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I guess I'm a lyric baritone. :shrug:

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Errrrr....

It must be hard to discern within the different regional accents of any country, which have their own tonal differences in the first place. But [MENTION=10757]Nicodemus[/MENTION] linked to the chart I had in mind from before.

However upon absorbing the collection of adjectives for each one I couldn't place them mentally when I hear speech. But then they are more likely mixed up together in different contexts for the speaker, possibly as a different function comes into play. Or it could be my poor ability to visualise in my mind's eye something I haven't got much experience of, or paid much attention to.

But using my mum as an example, her general tone is somewhat like the Fe described one, but alone with those she feels comfortable in expressing open criticism it turns more into the Ti tone and " appears " is an apt description, because 'appears' isn't the same as 'is'.

Certainly that pseudo-knowledgeable arrogance goes for me as well.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yeah, I would say so. I have fairly bright sounding voice with a lot of intonation. It's also generally fairly loud...

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No idea. People say I talk like a stoner. I guess that's ENTP, so, sure.

Destiny

A wannabe dog
I think so.

I am pretty soft-spoken and I tend to talk very slowly with lots of pauses in between. I have this tendency to use "um" a lot in my speech.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My voice matches Enneagram type 9, but I'm not sure what kind of voice an INFJ would have. I just had a banker tell me my voice sounds like Tia Leoni, which I consider to be a compliment. She's a kinda droopy gal too.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
thanks for linking that [MENTION=10757]Nicodemus[/MENTION]. i remember that chart from before, but this thread really needed some definition of what it even meant to have your voice match your type.

yeah, i really do think Ne-Fi-Te covers the spectrum of my vocal patterns pretty well. i sometimes try to "put on" an Fe tone. but it's like at work or something when i feel like i need to be in this customer service mode. maybe upon interacting with someone who i feel is apprehensive i'd bust it out too. warmth is the key. i think i naturally take a very genuine tone, but it can be more passionate than warm.

Jaguar

I have a radio voice. For someone to match it to a type would be nothing more than an exercise in stereotyping.

Nicodemus

thanks for linking that [MENTION=10757]Nicodemus[/MENTION]. i remember that chart from before, but this thread really needed some definition of what it even meant to have your voice match your type.
Unfortunately, it is a rather poor definition. Although... what can you really hope for with this topic?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What is an istp supposed to sound like. I have been told I have a semi deep sexy voice. Even more so over the phone. I don't know if it matches me.

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I heard people tell me that my voice is very clear (I must admit I'm one of the few people I know who likes to hear recordings of their own voice, it really does sounds pleasant), but I've also been accused of speaking to fast. I've also been told that I tend to forget to pronounce the letter T quite often when it's placed at the end of a word or a syllable, but I think that's more of an accent thing. Most of the kids in my elementary school forgot the T as well when pronouncing certain words. But the thing is, I don't know if that's what an ESFP is supposed to sound like. If they're supposed to be loud, I can confirm that I in fact do sound like one. But in case we're supposed to sound like Valley Girls or talking chickens, I'm afraid I probably sound like something else.