• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Functions That Bend Inward (Just Explaining Some Discrepancies)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
With INTJs thinking goes outwards, intuition on the other hand "bends" the whole of process inwards. This "bending inwards" thing i think you were looking for the word abstraction, thats a process of introversion, Te does not do that, Ni on the other hand can abstract using information derived from Te.

I just noticed something else wrong with this. Ni does not abstract information, it is merely picky about the information which is conceptual in nature. (Or perhaps that's what you meant.) Ni has a narrow, laser-like focus that notices only the information which is interesting conceptually.

That's not to say that Ni is blind to all else, the other information simply doesn't serve its conceptual purpose or mind-set. That's why you will see Ni-dominants who seem to have their feet in two different worlds and come across as somewhat (or very) aloof. Their dour expressions and narrow outlooks seem to vaguely notice your existence which is diminished as of less importance than something indefinite and less concrete.

This is also the case with Si-dominants, although their subjective interests are of a more concrete nature than that of the Ni-dominants. So you will also feel your existence diminished by the Si-dominants with their narrow, subjective interests when they don't include you in their plans.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For those who like to watch Family Guy, Stewie is a great example of an Ni-dominant who only takes an interest in those things that further the narrow goals of defeating mommy and ruling the world. In the first episodes, Stewie treated Brian (the family dog) as on the same diminished and contemptuous level as the rest of the family. But later in the series Stewie discovered that Brian can be useful in helping him accomplish his goals (although Brian is rather ambiguous about his role in all this), and thereafter Brian always accompanied Stewie on his adventures - although there still remained a modicum of contempt for the family dog.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I just noticed something else wrong with this. Ni does not abstract information, it is merely picky about the information which is conceptual in nature. (Or perhaps that's what you meant.) Ni has a narrow, laser-like focus that notices only the information which is interesting conceptually.

That's not to say that Ni is blind to all else, the other information simply doesn't serve its conceptual purpose or mind-set. That's why you will see Ni-dominants who seem to have their feet in two different worlds and come across as somewhat (or very) aloof. Their dour expressions and narrow outlooks seem to vaguely notice your existence which is diminished as of less importance than something indefinite and less concrete.

This is also the case with Si-dominants, although their subjective interests are of a more concrete nature than that of the Ni-dominants. So you will also feel your existence diminished by the Si-dominants with their narrow, subjective interests when they don't include you in their plans.

http://www.nyaap.org/jung-lexicon/a/ said:
Abstraction
A form of mental activity by which a conscious content is freed from its association with irrelevant elements, similar to the process of differentiation. (Compare empathy.)

Abstraction is an activity pertaining to the psychological functions in general. There is an abstract thinking, just as there is abstract feeling, sensation, and intuition. Abstract thinking singles out the rational, logical qualities of a given content from its intellectually irrelevant components. Abstract feeling does the same with a content characterized by its feeling-values . . . . Abstract sensation would be aesthetic as opposed to sensuous sensation, and abstract intuition would be symbolic as opposed to fantastic intuition.["Definitions," CW 6, par. 678.]

Jung related abstraction to introversion (analogous to empathy and extraversion).

I visualize the process of abstraction as a withdrawal of libido from the object, as a backflow of value from the object into a subjective, abstract content. For me, therefore, abstraction amounts to an energic devaluation of the object. In other words, abstraction is an introverting movement of libido.[Ibid., par. 679.]

To the extent that its purpose is to break the object’s hold on the subject, abstraction is an attempt to rise above the primitive state of participation mystique.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
With INTJs thinking goes outwards, intuition on the other hand "bends" the whole of process inwards. This "bending inwards" thing i think you were looking for the word abstraction, thats a process of introversion, Te does not do that, Ni on the other hand can abstract using information derived from Te.

If that last post describes what you meant by the term "abstract," it doesn't explain what you mean when Ni abstracts information derived from Te.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How does "introverting movement of libido" relate to psychological types?

- - - Updated - - -

ask him, or read some of his books

Ask him? Or read some of his books? I'm asking you.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As I thought, you don't know the answers so you want me to do all the researching for you.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Since this thread is ("supposed to be") about discrepancies - that is, experiential discrepancies I've observed among actual people, such as types of people that aren't "supposed to be" mystical according to JCF yet have a certain unexplained bent in that direction - it is limited to those experiences. My attempt to systematize is therefore limited to my experiences with people, which means I must also know their MBTI types. This is how the systematization would look if I had the ability to back up everything in the system based on my experiences:

INTP/INFP - Ne bent inwards, lending a mystical Ni bent to their personalities.
ISTP/ISFP - Se bent inwards, lending a mythological/symbolical Si bent to their personalities.
ISFJ/INFJ - Fe bent inwards, lending a feeling-valuing Fi bent to their personalities.
ISTJ/INTJ - Te bent inwards, lending an intellectual/abstracting bent to their personalities.
ENTP/ESTP - Ti bent outwards, lending an object-oriented Te bent to their personalities.
ENTJ/ENFJ - Ni bent outwards, lending a playfully conceptual Ne bent to their personalities.
ESTJ/ESFJ - Si bent outwards, lending an experience-seeking Se bent to their personalities.
ENFP/ESFP - Fi bent outwards, lending a people-valuing Fe bent to their personalities.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

That was my 10,000th post to this forum.

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
That was my 10,000th post to this forum.

GiraffeKiss-1.jpg

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
How does "introverting movement of libido" relate to psychological types?

Like this:

jung said:
Introversion means a turning inwards of the libido (q.v.), whereby a negative relation of subject to object is expressed. Interest does not move towards the object, but recedes towards the subject. Everyone whose attitude is introverted thinks, feels, and acts in a way that clearly demonstrates that the subject is the chief factor of motivation while the object at most receives only a secondary value. Introversion may possess either a more intellectual or more emotional character, just as it can be characterized by either intuition or sensation.

jung said:
Extraversion means an outward-turning of the libido (q.v.) With this concept I denote a manifest relatedness of subject to object in the sense of a positive movement of subjective interest towards the object. Everyone in the state of extraversion thinks, feels, and acts in relation to the object, and moreover in a direct and clearly observable fashion, so that no doubt can exist about his positive dependence upon the object. In a sense, therefore, extraversion is an outgoing transference of interest from the subject to the object. If it is an intellectual extraversion, the subject thinks himself into the object; if a feeling extraversion, then the subject feels himself into the object.

If that last post describes what you meant by the term "abstract," it doesn't explain what you mean when Ni abstracts information derived from Te.

Thinking does its job(defining what something is, to put it shortly) in relation to an external object, then intuition abstracts(removes what the persons sees as irrelevant and leaves what seems relevant according to unconscious factors) from this information brought from Te.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
mythological/symbolical Si bent to their personalities.

Si is not mythological or symbolic, Si is aesthetic, Ni on the other hand is. basics, basics..

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Like this:

Thinking does its job(defining what something is, to put it shortly) in relation to an external object, then intuition abstracts(removes what the persons sees as irrelevant and leaves what seems relevant according to unconscious factors) from this information brought from Te.

"Introversion means a turning inwards of the libido..." The reason I asked about this is that libido is sexual energy or sex drive. I realize however that's a more Freudian definition, but that's the one that survived, whereas Jung's idea of libido as psychic energy has not survived except among Jungians. And on this forum, we just refer to it as energy, not libido. When in Rome, it's best to do as the Romans do.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Si is not mythological or symbolic, Si is aesthetic, Ni on the other hand is. basics, basics..

I'm not referring to Jung's peculiar identification of mythology as such and such when nobody cares about that, except for you of course.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
"Introversion means a turning inwards of the libido..." The reason I asked about this is that libido is sexual energy or sex drive. I realize however that's a more Freudian definition, but that's the one that survived, whereas Jung's idea of libido as psychic energy has not survived except among Jungians. And on this forum, we just refer to it as energy, not libido. When in Rome, it's best to do as the Romans do.

This whole forum is based on jungian ideas, so yea "When in Rome, it's best to do as the Romans do."

jung said:
Abstract sensation would be aesthetic as opposed to sensuous sensation and abstract intuition would be symbolic as opposed to fantastic intuition.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This whole forum is based on jungian ideas, so yea "When in Rome, it's best to do as the Romans do."

And 99% of the posters here don't use Jung's idiosyncratic terminology, just the functions.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Jung's definition of "libido" is wrong.

Wrong according to who? There can be multiple different definitions for words used in different contexts. Your attempts are starting to be so pathetic that its getting boring