• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENFP vs INFJ

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't remember or find if we have had one of these threads yet. I'm curious about it because right now I'm close to someone who is clearly NF and clearly an N dom, but seems to fall exactly in-between these two categories, and in a funny way I can see some ENFP in myself. It feels like there are some INFJs who are the introverted version of the ENFP. There is the same type of silliness, wonder, and fascination with the big picture, but a quieter demeanor and a bit more structure externally.

I can definitely see an INFJ type that is serious, deep, focused, and on the fringe in the world of ideas and people. Is there legitimately this lighter type? I realize it can be associated with Enneagram 9 type, but is there any more to it than that? I'm just curious to kick off a discussion and see where it goes. Have you ever met someone and had a hard time figuring out if they are ENFP or INFJ? The stereotypes are quite polarized, so it stands out to me that there could be so many similarities.

Destiny

A wannabe dog
I think there is quite a huge difference between INFJ and ENFP ;)

On first sight, both might appear quite similar on the surface. But once you get to know both of them better, you will realize there is a huge contrast between them.
I know quite a few ENFPs in real life and they are very quiet and reserved people and they often appear like introverts on the surface, but when you get to know them better, you will realize that they have a busy social life out there and they are always socializing with friends every day.
INFJs wouldn't have this type of energy to constantly interact with people all the time.

INFJs also tend to be more future and goal-oriented than ENFP whereas ENFPs tend to be more creative than INFJs. For example, there was once when I asked my ENFP friend to draw a Santa Claus for me, and she immediately knew how to draw it. I am still trying to visualize in my mind how Santa Claus looked like, and she already managed to draw it out.
And I was like....whoa. How did she managed to do this? :D

I noticed that ENFPs also have this tendency to make plans and then cancel plans last minute, I reckon it's their Ne acting up here. ;)
As an INFJ, once I make a plan with someone, I stick to the plan unless I really really cannot make it such as if I am sick or something. Maybe it's the Fe in me, but I find it rude to cancel plans with someone once a plan is already being finalized.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
All of what you say makes sense, but there is a kind of middle type I see that are what you are describing as ENFPs. When you encounter Ne-doms in the creative arts they take you on such an extreme roller coaster of ideas that it is unforgettable. Because I've tended to know super extreme Ne-dom ENFPs, I'd be slower to type the quiet reserved people you know in the same category.

For myself, I am very future oriented, but have continual contingency plans available at every turn. The only well laid plans are created like the fractals of a tree branch. I keep my stuff very organized, am easily influenced by external sensory and emotional input, can easily do Ti-talk, get completely burnt out socially, but am so laid back when I interact with most people that it is pretty far from the norm. I never get upset when people cancel plans or anything unpredictable happens, but I did grow up with an ISFP mom who was extremely prone to change.

I think there are people who lie in-between on this spectrum that are rather subjective to type. I can see that the most extreme "J's" of the INFJ category can feel a lot like INTJ, ISFJs, and even ENFJs.

My partner is less flexible externally than I am, but he is also super laid back about time and money.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
An ENFP friend past, who knew me well, thought I was an xNFJ for a long while. I am future oriented, I have plans, sometimes long term plans, usually centered around people. I am chronically on time and I faithfully check in with the people I care about. This all due somewhat to being SP primary. My aesthetics are driven by my enneagram, 4w5, which in someway I haven't quite explored overlaps with Ni sensibilities.

I think that most ENFP's are identified by their statistically typical 7'ness. But when you get some of us low-key, dauntless, people collectors there are definite similarities to INFJs.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My partner exhibits Ni and Ne and Fi and Fe, so he is even more on the fence than I am in a way. It's definitely not a typical "J" relationship, except in his personal space he needs to keeps objects in certain places - perhaps a little OCDish he describes it. I tend to be so adaptable that it feels abnormal compared to other people. I teach music lessons and have a very hard time pressing students to practice, or being strict about anything. Perhaps most people in classical music are "J's", but I know I'm way out of sync with them. Most are SJs which is part of it. I'm only J in that I tend to be really responsible and I enjoy organizing stuff sometimes, but that is partly because the concrete world feels a bit oppressive, so I try to make it as easy to find stuff as possible. My partner does make lists to get stuff done, but I'm pretty sure we are both the most extremely laid back people in our work environment. Do any ENFPs make lists? Are any conspiracy theorist who have a tentative plan to head for the mountains to their cabin stockpiled with food and survival equipment at the first signs of trouble? Or is that the INFJ telling sign.

Another confusing thing is that I think we both use Ni in understanding the universe because of a need to find the core concepts and connections behind things. We can have conversations based primarily on speculation without being dismissive about it. But we are super silly in what looks like a Ne kinda way.

Even though is not to say that I've never been pushed over the edge emotionally. My first relationship ended super-laid back, but the second one I did have emotionally flip-outs. Romantic rejection does cause me to over-react, but nothing much else does.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
In a fight? Well...I gotta cheer for my home team you know? ;)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In a fight? Well...I gotta cheer for my home team you know? ;)

I'd ask 'which one is the ENFP', but I'm pretty sure it's the critter in the background.

RRR_2_GIF_FUNNY_FIGHT_1large1_by_coverop.gif

vorfreude

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't remember or find if we have had one of these threads yet. I'm curious about it because right now I'm close to someone who is clearly NF and clearly an N dom, but seems to fall exactly in-between these two categories, and in a funny way I can see some ENFP in myself. It feels like there are some INFJs who are the introverted version of the ENFP. There is the same type of silliness, wonder, and fascination with the big picture, but a quieter demeanor and a bit more structure externally.

I can definitely see an INFJ type that is serious, deep, focused, and on the fringe in the world of ideas and people. Is there legitimately this lighter type? I realize it can be associated with Enneagram 9 type, but is there any more to it than that? I'm just curious to kick off a discussion and see where it goes. Have you ever met someone and had a hard time figuring out if they are ENFP or INFJ? The stereotypes are quite polarized, so it stands out to me that there could be so many similarities.

I am one of those people!! ENFP/INFJ struggling to put myself on the map... ENFJ is a silly compromise :) but basically, my strong functions are almost equally strong and they are Fi/Fe, Ni/Ne, Se... my weaker functions are: Te, Ti and Si as the weakest. the stronger ones are turned on and off at will and depending on mood and environment, the weaker ones, especially Si -- are a struggle. I hate commitments, but if I make them, I try my best to keep them when other people depend on me... promises given to myself though come and go, unless there is an Fi value at the core. I need external structure, but can't stand routine -- a paradox there, but prefer to know a little bit ahead of time about the events that are about to unfold. I do not plan, however, and if plans change last minute, I get adrenaline, not paralysis... unless something I really wanted is being cancelled... then I can get cranky, but adapt and change course very quickly.

Can you please tell a bit more about your partner? :)

vrusimov

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

There is not really an "introverted version" of ENFP...that is like saying there is an "extroverted version" of INFJ. There is only INFJ and ENFP...one or the other. Their function stacks are completely different and so they "are" completely different.

ENFP's have extroverted functions at the dominant-tertiary positions: Ne-Te, where as INFJ's have introverted functions at the dominant-tertiary positions: Ni-Ti. How does this manifest externally? INFJ's will be quieter, more logical, contemplative, deliberate, decisive, thoughtful, focused, grounded, detached and serious. The only thing they show to the world is Fe. They are introverts...they don't "recharge"...they project (often reluctantly) and then retract. They don't withdraw to examine (Fi) like ENFP's do. Introverts will often talk themselves out of self-made plans of going somewhere in the external world.

Ne-Te? I call it "PPP", or positive possibilities regarding people, and ENFP's love connecting with people to bounce around, ideas, theories, and thoughts (Te). They dislike boredom, the mundane, redundancy or feeling stuck. They are often scatter-brained (Ne), exploratory, optimistic, and passionate about personal values (Fi). Garrulous story-tellers at times, bubbly, tendency to talk fast..."Christmas-tree" mind...resist control...always want options...individualistic...indecisive in the absence of a strong judging function...poor follow through...sometimes forgetful/absent-minded. They withdraw into periods of "downtime" to examine their Fi values. They have a positive outlook on life due to Ne and they want to maintain that outlook. They are good at "pattern-surfing", brain-storming, improvisation and initiating change in other people (inspirational). They have poor boundary control and need to be more judgmental about who they let into their life, while letting go of those who are harmful (long-term). They need downtime to "recharge" but they are not introverted...unless of course they are actually INFP.

This is where I personally get confused by ENFP's who will seek to prove how they "can be more introverted than introverts". But if that is indeed the case, then why is it that they are not self-typing as INFP instead of ENFP? Or maybe there is another "mystical/mythical" Enneagram type that we don't know about...a place where INFJs and INFPs go that we just can't see. It is the same thing with ENFPs who want to type themselves at E5, where studies have found NO instance of ENFP. This phenomenon seems to occur only with ENFPs and I don't follow the logic. The type descriptions are not the things to focus on. E5 is about (avarice) withholding of self (mentally, emotionally, physically), fear of being overwhelmed or "swallowed up" by others, losing control, emotional detachment to remain objective, avoiding neediness in others, keeping others out, compartmentalization and social awkwardness. E5 is about hoarding, stinginess and lack of attention to the physical environment...low energy for doing, high energy for thinking and knowing.

The E5's home is often a castle, with a drawbridge that immediately springs up behind it...with a sign that says "keep out". Think Edward Scissorhands, who was completely content in his castle and oblivious to the town surrounding him. He never really fit...they never really understood him. 4w5's will experience life in a similar way (like 5w4). As an INFJ 4w5 sp/sx, I identify heavily with the previous sentence. Ni-Ti with subdued Fe can rationalize away the need to be with others. This is simply not the realm of ENFP looking to connect with others. It just ain't so. Long-term, introverts make excuses not to see people, extroverts do the opposite.

The biggest myth of the Enneagram is Type 4 as an extroverted type, where ESTJs, ENFJs, and ENFPs can all "hang out" with INFJs INFPs, INTJs and ISFPs. Imagine all those different dominant-auxiliary function combinations exhibiting the same type of outward/inward expression that correlates to Enneagram 4. I don't see it and theory doesn't either.

Again, Enneagram 4w5's are very similar to 5w4's and are in the "pit of the Enneagram". They both represent the most introverted types within the Enneagram. Both types (E4 and E5) reinforce one another, which makes them doubly-withdrawn, contemplative, detached, introspective and isolated (at times). They are both reclusive, often even hermits, and have real problems with avarice (withholding of self from others), hoarding of time, minimizing, self-absorption, detachment from surroundings.

Karen Horney's Directional Theory:

Directional Theory

Withdrawn types: 4 - 5 - 9

Type 4: the withdrawn ideal-seeker. 0/0

The 4’s surface and deep compulsions both move away from the environment, making them the most introspective, individualistic type of all. This doubly-withdrawn compulsion gives the 4 an unusual freedom; they are psychologically less bound by the real-world constraints that other types feel. This freedom makes them highly original and creative, and highly attuned to the emotional nuances that other types block out in order to deal with practical life. However, this freedom also gives rise to the average 4’s self-absorption and alienation from ordinary life. Like the other ideal-seekers, the 4 seeks a utopian ideal that makes reality forever seem inadequate. All the ideal-seekers feel a chronic sense of "something missing", which in the 4 applies to their inner life. The 4’s ideals are withdrawn and intensely personal, making the 4 the romantic idealist as opposed to the 1’s practical idealism.

Type 5: the withdrawn power-seeker. 0/-

The 5 moves away from others on the surface, but against others underneath. Hence, average 5s may seem apathetic and laconic on the surface, but underneath they are not as detached as they act. The power-seeking drive seeks control, and is fearful of being overwhelmed and losing control. The withdrawn types by definition conserve physical energy, and so 5s prefer intellectual or strategic endeavors over active labor. Like all power-seekers, the 5 often acquires a "sphere" of influence and a strong sense of owning this sphere. The 5’s sphere is usually mental, as opposed to the 2’s social sphere and the 8’s worldly sphere.

Type 7: the embracing ideal-seeker. +/0

(Typically ENFP...7 integrates at E5, which looks similar to E5, but core issues/habits of attention and motivations are not the same...types 7w6, 6w7 and 3w4 are best fits.)

The 7 embraces the world on the surface, but moves away from it underneath. So while the 7 seems focused on enjoying the real world, their mind is actually attending to a glorious fantasy of how things could be even better. Like the 1 and 4, the 7’s unbounded fantasies make the real world seem forever inadequate by comparison, leading to a chronic feeling of "something missing", or in the 7’s case, of having "missed out" on something. However, the 7’s disappointments are often hidden behind their embracing exterior, which has a large capacity for positive, appreciative emotions. Like the other ideal-seekers, the 7 is satisfied only with the best of whatever they become interested in. However, because they have so many positive feelings for so many things, they may start to define "best" in terms of quantity rather than quality. The 7’s inspiration-seeking qualities are under-recognized, because many view the 7 as a glutton, seeking merely to consume everything in sight. However, the 7’s higher aspirations are evident in creations such as Mozart’s extraordinary music, or the "Camelot" ideals and lunar mission inspired by President Kennedy.

Since both 4's and 7's are idealists, this can be a source of confusion. Both sense something missing. Both idealize and fantasize. However, 4's are much more prone to negative/somber feelings, often cultivating them and intensifying them. 4w5/5w4 are often attracted to dark, surreal or obscure subject matter and have no trouble inhabiting uncomfortable moods. A love of the bizarre and the macabre is another feature of both types. They can have a fascination with death, nihilism and emptiness. They can stare into the abyss and survive over and over again. There is no emotion that 4w5 in particular has not examined and felt in life. Both types inhabit the pit of the Enneagram for a reason. There isn't much that separates the two.

To make an analogy: INFJ is a world that is always overcast, where the sun might slip through a thin layers of clouds. ENFP is a world where cloudy days may beckon but overall the sun "must" shine.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=23543]vrusimov[/MENTION]

In regards to the introverted ENFP, what is generally referred to in this claim is social introversion, which is different than cognitive introversion. It is quite possible for an ENFP to be a 4w5, as evidenced by me, who's claim I find irrefutable.

I meet plenty of INFJs who are way more socially extraverted than I am, they have these strange extra-normal abilities to have a social calendar and stick to it, be swayed by appeals to social conventions in gathering and communing (Fe), and seem to know how to navigate interpersonal situations much better than I. My own type and lacks in these matter lead me to hole up, entertained by my own varied and disjointed fancies and then be given to very strange and wanton social episodes when I end up wandering out in near-withdrawal state, always an attempt to experience life and all its grit and realities.

I have zero 7 in my tri-type. My adventure buddy is a reluctant INFP 4w3, I have spent much time with another ENFP 4w3, and an ENFP 7w8. Strangely, all of them versed in enneagram and MBTI, except for the INFP who is versed in beat poetry and self loathing.

vrusimov

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

In regards to the introverted ENFP, what is generally referred to in this claim is social introversion, which is different than cognitive introversion. It is quite possible for an ENFP to be a 4w5, as evidenced by me, who's claim I find irrefutable.

I meet plenty of INFJs who are way more socially extraverted than I am, they have these strange extra-normal abilities to have a social calendar and stick to it, be swayed by appeals to social conventions in gathering and communing (Fe), and seem to know how to navigate interpersonal situations much better than I. My own type and lacks in these matter lead me to hole up, entertained by my own varied and disjointed fancies and then be given to very strange and wanton social episodes when I end up wandering out in near-withdrawal state, always an attempt to experience life and all its grit and realities.

I have zero 7 in my tri-type. My adventure buddy is a reluctant INFP 4w3, I have spent much time with another ENFP 4w3, and an ENFP 7w8. Strangely, all of them versed in enneagram and MBTI, except for the INFP who is versed in beat poetry and self loathing.
You are more introverted than INFJs/INFPs and you meet "plenty" of INFJs, even though they are supposedly the rarest type? My question to you is where do you put INFJs and INFPs if you are irrefutably 4w5 and you are more introverted than all the INFJs you meet? I'm irrefutably an INFJ 4w5 sp/sx...maybe you are more introverted than me as well, although I'm pretty much a hermit these days. And if you are more introverted than me, then why don't you type as INFP? "I meet plenty INFJs who are way more socially extraverted than I am". This makes zero sense to me. According to you, it appears that there will never be ANY INFJs or INFPs who are more introverted than you, an ENFP. That strains credibility. Fe is not really about connecting and communing with, or through a social calendar...it is not the impetus for needing to meet and engage people. Fe is concerned with harmony and what is appropriate during interactions with others. As an INFJ 4w5, I couldn't find a social calendar with a roadmap and GPS, and I am certainly not allured by "experiencing" all the grit and realities of life. The inner mind is sufficient for such things.

It really is pretty simple, if you don't identify with Ne+Te and how it manifests in the need to meet and engage people, then ENFP might not be your "area". This is what I call standing on two squares. You are the most introverted ENFP of all time but you don't identify with INFP. You are more introverted than the "plenty rare INFJs" you meet, but you don't identify with INFP. Excuse me if I'm not convinced...saying you are 4w5 is like saying you are 5w4, because there is very little that separates those two types. I have seen plenty of ENFP's claiming 5w4 as well, so it is nothing new. Your "adventure" buddy is a reluctant INFP 4w3? As a 4w5, I don't understand the term "adventure buddy"...maybe you could elaborate. The fact that you don't have 7 in your tri-type does not bode well for you being an ENFP.

So if I am reading this correctly, then you are an ENFP who finds excuses not to meet people or go places and is content to be reclusive indefinitely, and you don't have much use for a phone other than to charge it. You might also have a friend or two who you don't actually ever get to see and have no compunction to really change that situation, because you heavily enjoy all the accolades of being alone and somewhat isolated. In the end, it is all your INFP and INFJ friends that drag you, an ENFP kicking and screaming from your house and into the real world. I don't see it. If you are claiming ENFP, then that is the type whose descriptions you identify with, and they are quite different from Fi and Ni dominants (both introverts). If you have done the work with cognitive functions, then you will surely see why your Ne dominant preference manifests itself differently than those of Fi and Ni doms. Yours is an extroverted type, and as such, meeting and engaging people will be more of an impetus than Fi/Ni doms.

All that said, it is entirely possible that you might have a type of social anxiety disorder, which might be clouding your Enneagram/MBTI interface. If such a thing is indeed your case, then you have my apologies.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=22236]YUI[/MENTION] I hate to divisive, but you are actually edging on disagreeing with vrusimov. He is claiming that an ENFP is by definition more socially extraverted than an INFJ. And that an ENFP cannot be enneagram 4 for this reason.

I am afraid I'm going to have to paraphrase your points. If I do it badly, feel free to correct me. First I'm going to address some logical holes that you think you have found in my statements.

You cannot have met many INFJs because they are the most rare type:
The fact is INFJs are rare as MBTI types by *comparison* to other types. But in fact, they aren't all that rare really. They represent 1 in 100 people, not exactly lottery odds. In fact, statistically, this makes them common. Even the shyer ones can be found when you get connected into artists or writer or mystic communities or you have people collector extraverted friends.

I am more introverted than any INFJ I meet.
This pigeonholing my comments on your behalf is nearly dastardly, I hope this is a misunderstanding. I clearly stated that I am quite socially introverted and more socially introverted than INFJs that I have met. I never stated that they are 4w5, I never stated that I am categorically, nor are any ENFPs are *by definition* more introverted than INFJs. I was merely clarifying what an ENFP means when they claim they are introverted. That they are referring to social introversion, not cognitive. And yes, I believe Fe is a bigger aid to staying social than Fi.

Once again, leading with Ne doesn't mean that people are always the tonic. They're just the more tasty tonic, with side effects.

I cannot be an 4w5 because I am an ENFP
:harhar: If you care to know more, just cyber stalk me. I don't believe there's anything else that would do.

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
[MENTION=22236]YUI[/MENTION] I hate to divisive, but you are actually edging on disagreeing with vrusimov. He is claiming that an ENFP is by definition more socially extraverted than an INFJ. And that an ENFP cannot be enneagram 4 for this reason.

I understand what you're saying. It kind of depends where you put the emphasis. IOW, yes I agree that Ne-Dom hermits exist. OTOH, if you put them in their element (a social situation), their true colors come out and their introversion suddenly seems kind of artificial and self-imposed.

But whatever. I'll let you and vrusimov duke it out beyond that. (And I don't know anything about enneagram numbers.)

vrusimov

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

You cannot have met many INFJs because they are the most rare type:
The fact is INFJs are rare as MBTI types by *comparison* to other types. But in fact, they aren't all that rare really. They represent 1 in 100 people, not exactly lottery odds. In fact, statistically, this makes them common. Even the shyer ones can be found when you get connected into artists or writer or mystic communities or you have people collector extraverted friends.

That is assuming that they actually WANT to be found. It also assumes that they are typed accurately, which can be a problem with the simple taking of tests, especially without being well-versed in the cognitive functions and Enneagram "theory" (not descriptions). It also might not actually be 1-in-100 when you account for INFJs that will be "otherwise predisposed" in a manner that puts them outside of your social circle.

I am more introverted than any INFJ I meet.
This pigeonholing my comments on your behalf is nearly dastardly, I hope this is a misunderstanding. I clearly stated that I am quite socially introverted and more socially introverted than INFJs that I have met. I never stated that they are 4w5, I never stated that I am categorically, nor are any ENFPs are *by definition* more introverted than INFJs. I was merely clarifying what an ENFP means when they claim they are introverted. That they are referring to social introversion, not cognitive. And yes, I believe Fe is a bigger aid to staying social than Fi.

Once again, leading with Ne doesn't mean that people are always the tonic. They're just the more tasty tonic, with side effects.

Yes...I misunderstood, but minus "social introversion", this still leaves only "cognitive" Ni-Ti vs. Ne-Te. An introvert versus an extrovert. Fe is not always warm and inviting, it can change the temperature of the surroundings if the person wants to create distance or closeness. INFJs are highly prone to feeling alone in a crowd. I take your *by definition* to mean that the "social introversion" you speak of his actually shyness/awkwardness on your part in social situations...in comparison to Fe from fellow INFJs. You never stated that they were 4w5, but can you even be certain that they are all INFJs as well?

You can't really quantify a statement like: "I meet plenty of INFJs who are way more socially extraverted than I am, they have these strange extra-normal abilities to have a social calendar and stick to it..." This seems to imply that "they" all behave the same way and they all have the same, strange predilections for social calendars. "Way more" starts to sound more INFP/INTP to me. Again, the assumption is that they (INFJs) are all accurately typed. Your descriptions make me wonder if some of them are not in fact Fe dominants. It is not likely that all the INFJs you know will exude the exact same proclivities...that would be like saying that all ENFPs are "socially introverted". I could not find an actual definition of this term. I do however find a recurring theme of confusion amongst ENFPs when it comes to social interaction. INFJs are not confused by Fe, they know that they are introverts. At least I do. Extroverts seem to want to run from anything to do with type descriptions like: bubbly or "social butterfly", even though the descriptions are often an accurate depiction of how they embrace others warmly. These depictions are instead seen as pejorative and therefore something to be abrogated, expunged or disavowed. IOW, they start claiming introversion.

For ENFP, Fi isn't the sole function being activated in a social setting. The Ne-Fi-Te combination wants to connect with people. That is the signature of the type. The type descriptions of ENFP and the function stack just do not project as a type less comfortable with being sociable than auxiliary Fe.

I cannot be an 4w5 because I am an ENFP
You can be anything you want to be, but the manner and tone of your responses comport with patterns I have seen over the last four months, studying ENFPs and their affinity for choosing 4w5/5w4. Most will fit better at 4w3, but there is a common theme...mostly something like: "I can be more introverted than most introverts", or something along those lines.

My view is that extroverts largely just don't comprehend the nature of introverts...especially the ones they will NEVER get to see. Example? Try this from Personality Cafe:

"My ENFP wife was very introverted sometimes.

I being an ENFJ am deeply introverted as well. In fact ... I sometimes really hate being around certain people. They drain the hell out of me. I wanna get away from negative interactions in a flash.

It's not whether we're introverted or not [because all extroverts are in their own way as their aux functions are all introverted ones] .. it's how much of introversion we can take before we need to be around people again.

When I'm alone too long, I become miserable and I want to be around people. That's the case for most extroverts. Not all of us are social butterflies.

It works in reverse as well. Many introverts want to be around people after long periods of alone time.

It's just that introverts can be alone longer than extroverts [for the most part]."

The bolded parts are just a lovely contradiction by an ENFJ, many of whom also cast themselves as 4w5. Similar statements have been made by ENFPs. Again, they don't see why they are not introverts. "Deeply introverted", yet can't be alone for too long or he becomes "miserable". Introverts don't usually think like this, "especially" more reclusive ones. No wonder so many people mistype, misidentify and misplace themselves. This is just one example of MANY I could find. It would not be a tough assignment.

[ENFP] Introverted ENFP

:harhar: If you care to know more, just cyber stalk me. I don't believe there's anything else that would do.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, stalking isn't my "area". I am perfectly content with not getting the last word, laugh, or sigh.

xXMariahXx

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I mistyped one of my best friends as ENFP who turned out as really INFJ.

I assumed her to be an extrovert but now see that it's because she's INFp-Fe - that strong Fe auxiliary.

And I assumed her to be a perceiver because of her laid-back and open demeanor, but now see that it's because IJ's are actually inward perceivers.

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Some INFJs are fond of humor, like ENFPs. But ENFP humor is more cheeky. I myself sound like some nutty INFJ shaman whenever I get "deep". So yeah they can look similar.