• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other] What Do You Blame Stress On?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When you are stressed out do you tend to blame something for it or rationalize it? (A rationalization is a credible-sounding explanation which fails to get to the root of a problem or acts as a subconscious ruse to avoid thinking about the root of the problem.)

I'm working on a theory that people will blame or rationalize stress in terms of their dominant or even auxiliary function. For example, Se will work to blame stress on something wrong with the body, such as being hungry or tired. I don't know if this is related to the perceiving (S or N) or judging (T or F) functions, or both.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Rationalization of stressful situations is always associated with things I did or didn't do. The buck always stops at me, even if it's out of my hands. I understand this is more of an enneagram related thing, in my case being 4 sp/sx, a kind of mini-meglomania.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Rationalization of stressful situations is always associated with things I did or didn't do. The buck always stops at me, even if it's out of my hands. I understand this is more of an enneagram related thing, in my case being 4 sp/sx, a kind of mini-meglomania.

How is that rationalization? If it's a situation where someone else was at fault do you blame yourself to spare the other person?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How is that rationalization? If it's a situation where someone else was at fault do you blame yourself to spare the other person?

I always blame myself, but it's not to spare the other person. For example: The other person was a dick; It's my fault for trusting him. I have no control over other people. You can attribute that to a Ne Fi outlook, but I haven't seen it as a common pattern in ENFPs.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I always blame myself, but it's not to spare the other person. For example: The other person was a dick; It's my fault for trusting him. I have no control over other people. You can attribute that to a Ne Fi outlook, but I haven't seen it as a common pattern in ENFPs.

You have more control over other people than you realize, so I would say that's the core of the problem which you are rationalizing as "your fault."

And it's an Fi thing.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You have more control over other people than you realize, so I would say that's the core of the problem which you are rationalizing as "your fault."

And it's an Fi thing.

It could almost always be described as Fi or Ne, because of functions. I know other ENFPs who would automatically blame the other person, and it would even more likely be a Fi reaction.

This is actually besides the point of your question. The order goes: I feel cranky->I diagnose the issue. I don't rationalize.

I could diagnose incorrectly, but I always intentionally stave off off-handedly identifying why I'm cranky. I am comfortable in being cranky for no explanation what so ever, it my default form of being cranky. I still identify this with enneagram 4, especially 4w5, because we are constantly monitoring and cataloging our emotional states, and often inhabit them purposefully without regards to their beginnings.

Glint

ಠ﹏ಠ
MBTI Type
TiNi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I rationalize first, but may then proceed to informally assign blame to something (typically the situation as a whole, human nature, society, etc.)

I rarely blame specific people.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Being an overachiever. School. Overthinking social situations. Extracurriculars. Family. Things that you can manage and bend, but are still not escapable.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I blame stress on myself. I self impose it because I sort of feed off of it. That is I habitually put myself into situations where I will be under stress because I enjoy it - mostly. Sometimes, I want to retire to a beautiful island and do nothing but if I were to do that, I would soon need to do something productive.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It could almost always be described as Fi or Ne, because of functions. I know other ENFPs who would automatically blame the other person, and it would even more likely be a Fi reaction.

This is actually besides the point of your question. The order goes: I feel cranky->I diagnose the issue. I don't rationalize.

I could diagnose incorrectly, but I always intentionally stave off off-handedly identifying why I'm cranky. I am comfortable in being cranky for no explanation what so ever, it my default form of being cranky. I still identify this with enneagram 4, especially 4w5, because we are constantly monitoring and cataloging our emotional states, and often inhabit them purposefully without regards to their beginnings.

I usually resist psychologizing posters on this forum - but blaming yourself in those circumstances is a defense mechanism called introjection.

Now that I've come off sounding sufficiently pedantic - monitoring and cataloging your emotional states has nothing to do with the question of how you react to jerks - perhaps indirectly if you monitor your reaction - but blaming yourself is not an instance of monitoring or cataloging. It is an Fi response, a feeling of personal rejection. This is because Fi, not Ne, functions in such circumstances by reacting to signs of personal rejection.

- - - Updated - - -

I rationalize first, but may then proceed to informally assign blame to something (typically the situation as a whole, human nature, society, etc.)

I rarely blame specific people.

What is your MBTI type?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Being an overachiever. School. Overthinking social situations. Extracurriculars. Family. Things that you can manage and bend, but are still not escapable.

Would you say that this is workaholism?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
not knowing any situation i don't have closure on i stress, also crowds. if there's too many people talking at once I have to leave. I've ditched people a few times because of it.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I blame stress on myself. I self impose it because I sort of feed off of it. That is I habitually put myself into situations where I will be under stress because I enjoy it - mostly. Sometimes, I want to retire to a beautiful island and do nothing but if I were to do that, I would soon need to do something productive.

Sounds very Te.

Glint

ಠ﹏ಠ
MBTI Type
TiNi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What is your MBTI type?

Leaning towards INTP based on (free) test results and introspection.
I hesitate to fully embrace a type label due to confirmation bias and associated stereotypes.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Leaning towards INTP based on (free) test results and introspection.
I hesitate to fully embrace a type label due to confirmation bias and associated stereotypes.

Then use JCF to determine your type. I can't do anything with this data without knowing about your type.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I usually resist psychologizing posters on this forum - but blaming yourself in those circumstances is a defense mechanism called introjection.

How interesting. Introjection just happens to be the Enneagram 4 defense mechanism.

Now that I've come off sounding sufficiently pedantic - monitoring and cataloging your emotional states has nothing to do with the question of how you react to jerks - perhaps indirectly if you monitor your reaction - but blaming yourself is not an instance of monitoring or cataloging. It is an Fi response, a feeling of personal rejection. This is because Fi, not Ne, functions in such circumstances by reacting to signs of personal rejection.

I was answering the thread. The thread was about rationalizing stress, not dealing with problems. This indicates that you aren't sure of the source, because you wouldn't feel the need to rationalize it if you knew where it was coming from. Dealing with a jerk doesn't need to be rationalized: there's a jerk, I interacted with him, here is my stress.

Being comfortable and aware of feelings has everything to do with undefined stress.

Glint

ಠ﹏ಠ
MBTI Type
TiNi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Then use JCF to determine your type. I can't do anything with this data without knowing about your type.

Functions (and other type stuff) are in my sig from left to right. For the purpose of this thread I would be hypothesized to deal with stress using Ti or Ne.
If it helps to rephrase, I had already determined myself to be INTP but I refuse to jump to conclusions without additional input - which is why I still don't have MBTI type filled in for my forum profile.
If this is not definite enough, I apologize for wasting your time!

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I agree. I don't always see stress as a negative, often just the opposite, which is why I often seek it out. I do tend to have issues if I am hungry or tired, though.

1319222091715_5125435.png

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How interesting. Introjection just happens to be the Enneagram 4 defense mechanism.

I was answering the thread. The thread was about rationalizing stress, not dealing with problems. This indicates that you aren't sure of the source, because you wouldn't feel the need to rationalize it if you knew where it was coming from. Dealing with a jerk doesn't need to be rationalized: there's a jerk, I interacted with him, here is my stress.

Being comfortable and aware of feelings has everything to do with undefined stress.

It's about blaming something else for stress to avoid getting to the root of the problem. Rationalizing is part of this. For example, I can blame someone else for my stress, but when I provide a reasoning for the blaming, then that's rationalization.

Now you're talking about undefined stress. Rationalization is an attempt to justify the blaming that defines it.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Functions (and other type stuff) are in my sig from left to right. For the purpose of this thread I would be hypothesized to deal with stress using Ti or Ne.
If it helps to rephrase, I had already determined myself to be INTP but I refuse to jump to conclusions without additional input - which is why I still don't have MBTI type filled in for my forum profile.
If this is not definite enough, I apologize for wasting your time!

My eyes aren't very good. I see the tiny font writing in your sig now. There's also something in it about ISA Fi - Ni - Fe - Se. What is that?