• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

E/I Ratio

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Introversion versus extroversion is a matter of need of external stimulation. An introvert needs less external stimulation than an extrovert because they respond to it more strongly. The more introverted, the less stimulation they need to be occupied.

In MBTI terms, the only thing one needs to be introverted is to have an introverted dominant function -- a function that relates the self to the outside world. Fe as an auxiliary has a need to function with other people, so IFJs would still be 'extroverted' (seeking out other people = seeking out stimulation), and ISPs would also be 'extroverted' because SPs require a lot of stimulation in general. With ENPs, they tend to create their own internal stimulation from the environment with Ne -- it's still relevant to the environment, but it's not actually there, so it's not actual external stimulation.

Wow, that's deep. :huh:

I think I get it though, At least the part that's about me. ;)

It's probly the reason many people who only know me online think I'm an extrovert. Because I "require a lot of stimulation in general." Like Hmm called it "e-outgoing." But people who know me in person wouldn't describe me that way, because I'm not outgoing in the external world, and seek most of my stimulation in quieter ways. I'm a blabbermouth when I get going, but it's around people that I know or a smaller, more manageable environment. I don't do well in large groups or situations where I have to be proactive about going and introducing myself to people.

alicia91

I recently attended a small business seminar marketing seminar where the literature stated that the general population is 75% E and 25% I. No clue where they got those figures from.

In
MBTI terms, the only thing one needs to be introverted is to have an introverted dominant function -- a function that relates the self to the outside world. Fe as an auxiliary has a need to function with other people, so IFJs would still be 'extroverted' (seeking out other people = seeking out stimulation), and ISPs would also be 'extroverted' because SPs require a lot of stimulation in general. With ENPs, they tend to create their own internal stimulation from the environment with Ne -- it's still relevant to the environment, but it's not actually there, so it's not actual external stimulation.

Hmmm... interesting. I've got to look at this when I haven't had two glasses of wine!

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
See, I am almost certain that introverts outnumber extraverts. Clearly it depends on what perspective you're coming from! (I can recognise IS types, but I probably mistake EN types as introverts as well - I think Hap has it right.)

I think it also has a lot to do with age - at my age (around 20), people are still getting over the awkwardness of the teenage years - only the extreme extraverts are, well, clearly extraverted. Those who are more borderline are not always as easy to spot.

However, once you go older, people are just generally more confident and outgoing. Introverts can easily come off as extraverts if you only know them briefly: my mother is an ISFP and talks endlessly - she could easily be mistaken as an extravert, but she is most certainly not one. Likewise, Jen on these boards - she's a self-identified INFJ who comes off quite effectively as an extravert in social situations.

But like I said, I think it depends a lot on perspective: an introvert is going to naturally consider everyone more extraverted than themselves as an extravert, and vice-versa for an extravert.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
I did a brief internet search and some sources are saying it is around 50/50 and others are saying introverts are around 25% or 30%.
I am really not up to sorting that out.

I think a lot depends on what your sample is. Is it really random? Introverts tend to be more introspective than extroverts and so would be more likely to sign up to take the test.

I also think that if it were really equal, there would not be an overall negative view of introverts. Also there would be more understanding of introverts and there would not be such an issue with people trying to make introverts more extroverted.

For example, introversion is often labled as shyness or social anxiety disorder. This "shyness" is seen as a personality flaw that you need to work to overcome. Introverts are often told they need to be more social, in other words more extroverted.

Does anything like this exist in reverse for extroverts? Are extroverts ever told they are to social? That they should spend less time interacting with others and more time alone reading? Is extroversion ever seen as a flaw that needs to be overcome?

Why are there support groups for introvertion but none for extrovertion?

Ilah

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
I also think that if it were really equal, there would not be an overall negative view of introverts. Also there would be more understanding of introverts and there would not be such an issue with people trying to make introverts more extroverted.

For example, introversion is often labled as shyness or social anxiety disorder. This "shyness" is seen as a personality flaw that you need to work to overcome. Introverts are often told they need to be more social, in other words more extroverted.

Well, I think it is mainly the IN types which seem to be stereotyped as the social anxiety/shyness view of introverts - IS types, for the most part, seem to fit quite comfortably into society as far as I've observed. Assuming people are 50% I and 50% E, and S 70% to N 30%, you're left with 15% of people being IN types. And so as a distinct minority, they end up being misunderstood.

As far as introversion being stereotyped as negative, unfortunately humans are social creatures, and of necessity have to deal with other humans to deal with daily life. Extreme Introverts, who struggle to get to know other people and have no more than one or two friends, unfortunately also struggle in the outside (and social) world.

It is fairly obvious that being outgoing and talkative will afford you a number of chance opportunities in life - and so people who care (and don't understand introversion) often worry that because this person is shy, they're missing out on a whole lot of opportunities they could otherwise grasp. And shyness itself is not that difficult to overcome.

Extreme extraversion, well, is just annoying. So you might struggle to have long-term relationships and friendships. But as far as immediate impressions, unfortunately the introvert comes off worse.

It's not right, or good, really, but unfortunately that's the way our culture is.

Does anything like this exist in reverse for extroverts? Are extroverts ever told they are to social? That they should spend less time interacting with others and more time alone reading? Is extroversion ever seen as a flaw that needs to be overcome?

Why are there support groups for introvertion but none for extrovertion?

Oh, extraverts get that they're shallow and superficial - too flighty to think about anything deep for more than a second. ;)

It's not as bad as the labels introverts get, but they certainly don't get away scot free.

I think it depends a lot on the culture - in Japan, for example, which has a much more introverted, hard-working ethic sort of society, flighty extraverts would not be valued nearly as much.