• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

E/I Ratio

Sling

MBTI Type
N358
Talking real life here, not internetwebs.

Are there more E's than I's? Or are there more I's, but they go unnoticed because they aren't out and about as much?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think there are definitely more E's. Otherwise, there wouldn't be so much stuff happening.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I think it's at most 50:50- there may be more I's.
Otherwise, there would be more stuff happening.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Dude change your type don't be stupid.

And secondly so introverts and intuitives can feel more special.

Homini Lupus

MBTI Type
INTJ
According to CAPT introverts slightly outnumber extroverts in the population. And that seems to confirm what I experience unless I'm just some crazy over the top extrovert.
[/url]

That is strange. Most introverts experience quite the contrary, thinking the world is made mostly by extroverts.

I think most people are extroverts, but quite a lot of them become shy, expecially when they are young and still have to define themselves. The strange think is that, since I'm not so shy, at times I can look more E than actual Es.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
I thought it was 70% Extroverts and 30% Introverts?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nobody has ever put in enough decent research on this subject to really answer the question.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Nobody has ever put in enough decent research on this subject to really answer the question.
I highly doubt that. This would be a very simple research project and my guess it that a lot of folks have already accomplished this minor feat.

Besides, it's not like I just make this stuff up. Therefore, I know my stats are derived from an authoritative source. . . somewhere. . . at sometime. . . and from some reading I did in the distant past. :)

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
That is strange. Most introverts experience quite the contrary, thinking the world is made mostly by extroverts.

I think most people are extroverts, but quite a lot of them become shy, expecially when they are young and still have to define themselves. The strange think is that, since I'm not so shy, at times I can look more E than actual Es.

I think most people are ambiverts frankly and hover somewhere around the middle. And most people think introversion is synonymous with shy and social anxious which it is not.

There are two studies looking at the frequency of type within the American population and introversion slightly wins. I just posted one and another I have in PDF. It's mostly ISJs driving up introverted numbers and introverts are also more likely to take personality assessments than extroverts which may inflate I number as well.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Yeah, I don't believe those numbers for one second.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Because my N is saying, "That's Wrong! That's Wrong!"

And my P is saying, "Hell if I'm going to spend time reviewing all the research until I find that data that supports my belief."

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
That the same why I felt when I saw Kiersey's numbers.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I buy the CAPT PDF.
I think a lot of people seem more extraverted because they believe that being introverted is equal to being bad so they try to get rid of those tendencies..

pardo

MBTI Type
istp
Probably it depends on geographical location.
I'm Italian and I'm quite sure that Extraverts are the vast majority in Italy (except in computer science and some engineering courses-.-).
Anglosaxon culture seems to largely favour Extraversion, too, but I haven't lived in UK or US so I can't really say.
I can -skeptically- accept the possibility of an Introvert majority in places like Japan or the northern EU countries.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Are we talking about general introversion/extroversion, or strictly MBTI introversion/extroversion?

I mean, in MBTI terms, I would believe that most people are introverts, but in general terms, 1/3rd seems most likely.

People who could be considered 'extroverts' generally but are 'introverts' in terms of MBTI would be many IFJs and ISPs, and people who could be considered as 'introverts' but are 'extroverts' in terms of MBTI would be many ENPs.

Mozzes

Are we talking about general introversion/extroversion, or strictly MBTI introversion/extroversion?

I mean, in MBTI terms, I would believe that most people are introverts, but in general terms, 1/3rd seems most likely.

People who could be considered 'extroverts' generally but are 'introverts' in terms of MBTI would be many IFJs and ISPs, and people who could be considered as 'introverts' but are 'extroverts' in terms of MBTI would be many ENPs.

Explain the difference between a "general" introvert and MBTI introvert.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Explain the difference between a "general" introvert and MBTI introvert.

Introversion versus extroversion is a matter of need of external stimulation. An introvert needs less external stimulation than an extrovert because they respond to it more strongly. The more introverted, the less stimulation they need to be occupied.

In MBTI terms, the only thing one needs to be introverted is to have an introverted dominant function -- a function that relates the self to the outside world. Fe as an auxiliary has a need to function with other people, so IFJs would still be 'extroverted' (seeking out other people = seeking out stimulation), and ISPs would also be 'extroverted' because SPs require a lot of stimulation in general. With ENPs, they tend to create their own internal stimulation from the environment with Ne -- it's still relevant to the environment, but it's not actually there, so it's not actual external stimulation.