• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are You Afraid to Take Risks?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you prefer to take risks, or to avoid risks? The answer to this question is determined by your Perceiving function and not, as one would expect, by your Judging function.

To the extent that judgment is involved - because the use of the judging functions may be relatively weak or strong - there will be consequences taken into consideration before taking a risk. But the risk itself first involves Perception.

Si and Ni are risk-avoiders (or risk-aversives), because the rational judging function, which is extroverted, automatically comes into play and controls all ideas that lead to possible loss. Se and Ne, on the other hand, are risk-takers. Irrational perceiving, when dominant, brings a great degree of spontaneity, and perhaps an aura of danger, to the personality. In practice, such people are thought to lack judgment. But rational judging can seem too controlling because it sets cogent and judicious limits on spontaneity. They are considered "party-poopers" by the Irrational types because they use too much judgment. At best, you will see a "controlled spontaneity" from the more advanced Si or Ni dominants. At worst, you will see something resembling a robot completely lacking in creativity.

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
Robin Williams (Ne-dominant)

"In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable."
Dwight D. Eisenhower (Si-dominant)

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I'm inclined to agree that J/P is the biggest MBTI-related factor when it comes to risk-aversion, but I think E/I also makes a contribution, with IJs being the most cautious risk-avoiders and EPs the most impulsive adventurers.

I'd say I'm strongly risk-averse.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I don't see myself as a conscious risk-taker - when I am speculating about various approaches to a given situation, I'm generally conservative. While I may create elaborate mental plans, I'm likely to realise their stupidity and move on to something more productive. However, I can put myself at risk in various situations due to my volatility and desire to share my thoughts and emotions with others - however controversial they may be.

Last edited:

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I take risks but not all kinds. It has to feel worth it to me. I'm very averse to risky behavior or situations when I'm not really into what I'm doing. For example, fast cars, bungee jumping and the like? No. Not worth it to me. But I do leap head first into adventures with unknown results because what if something wonderful happens? And if not, I'll either learn from it, or at least have a novel experience.

á´…eparted

passages
I take risks but not all kinds. It has to feel worth it to me. I'm very averse to risky behavior or situations when I'm not really into what I'm doing. For example, fast cars, bungee jumping and the like? No. Not worth it to me. But I do leap head first into adventures with unknown results because what if something wonderful happens? And if not, I'll either learn from it, or at least have a novel experience.

This. However the things you said as too risky are things I'd freely do, and the risks you do I avoid for being too unpredictable. I need to know what the endgame should be. Physical risks bother me much less as they can be judged more cleanly.

taylord

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It depends on the risk. In some ways I am an extraordinary risk-taking person. In other ways, I'm really not. Actually this question made me think about it, and before I thought about it I'd consider myself risk-averse. But that is really more my persona than how I really am. Sometimes I'll see a risk in things that no one else would even think twice about. And in things that most people would consider crazy, I'll do without much thought.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In relationships I seem to take risks and anything else no. Think that's it.

OptoGypsy

MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Code:
I've never truly understood the concept of avoiding risks, have been J-walking since I was 2 1/2. Drank Alcohol, and dated since I was 7. I have yet to do something serious such as starting a riot or go skydiving :/

brainheart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And so IXXPs are the perfect balance? :D

TheCheeseBurgerKing

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
As in IxxP, I don't consider anything a risk. I don't like that word. I try to put a lot of effort into calculating my decisions.
Everything is weighed differently.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Completely depends on the risk. There is a difference between taking a risk and doing something stupid.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I like risks and I like anything that will give me an adrenaline boost. I can be way impulsive or get myself into trouble without looking first, leaving everyone else to tell me, "I told you it was a bad idea."

If it was something my life totally depended on, like jumping across a wide cliff with spikes at the bottom, hell yeah I'd be scared. But little risks - like going on a big rollercoaster or trying a new food, is exciting to me.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In general, no. There has to be a reason behind the risk for me to wish to participate though, as I think taking risks just for the sake of doing so is just as stupid as refusing to even try a new shoelace color. The later is supremely dull and the former is as mentioned, stupid. Balance is key.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I do enjoy taking risks but only because there is an obvious emotional payout to it. I'm not impuslive though. If I'm engaging in risky behaviour I'm fully aware of it.

Where there's a thrill, there's a risk.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And so IXXPs are the perfect balance? :D

The answer is: it depends on the influence of other functions. IXXPs can have a strong Si or Ni tertiary, both of which are risk-aversive. And then, when auxiliaries Ne or Se are weak, the latter will arise as a silly, capricious, free-floating playfulness which is not tied down by any judging function. In this case, Si or Ni serve the inclinations of the Dominant (Ti or Fi) by helping to turn its ideas and values into rigid dogmas, displaying a mere pretense of independent certainty while secretly making of it a slave to unconscious (Si or Ni) archetypes.