• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Types and Smiling

Jurbil

Which types smile genuinely a lot, and which types smile more often out of politeness? Which types are least likely to smile frequently?

Any thoughts?

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
I am almost always absentmindedly smiling in reverie, and I *do* think it's type related.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure I've ever met an ENFP that didn't smile big. I had depression for a long chunk of my life, and I had typed myself as an INTP. When it broke, my face started hurting from smiling so much.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I am guessing that smiling would be associated with EF types. INTJs aren't renowned for beiong natural smilers...

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I am guessing that smiling would be associated with EF types. INTJs aren't renowned for beiong natural smilers...

Mhm, EF types probably smile the most on average, with IT types being the opposite.

It's not really "out of politeness" though. I think, for many EFs, smiling and having a warm/inviting exterior is just built into our system. Of course some might do this - there are definitely EFs who now how to cheese it up for the crowd - but I'd theorize that it's more IFJs who do this. Fe in IFJs feels a lot more cool, polite, and guarded than Fe in EFJs.

People have also theorized about instinct variants and facial expressions. From what I remember it went like this:

sx/so - intense expression directed outward
so/sx - bright, smiley, intense expression
so/sp - smiley, calm expression
sp/so - withdrawn, soft expression
sp/sx - withdrawn, self-absorbed, calm expression
sx/sp - intense, self-absorbed expression

I kind of buy it and I kind of don't. so/sx definitely rings true for all the so/sxs I know, both on this forum and IRL.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION]

I agree that so/sx can look very warm, sx-first can look intense, and sp-first can look guarded. Beyond that I'm not sure if there are any hard and fast rules re: smiley-ness.

Some potential ones I can think of off the top of my head (just based on what makes intuitive sense to me):

- Extroverts seem more smiley than introverts
- Feelers seem more smiley than thinkers
- People who refuse to smile in photos seem most frequently to be IxTx

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i have heard so many times "why are you always smiling?"

opposite of resting bitch face i guess.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
- Extroverts seem more smiley than introverts
- Feelers seem more smiley than thinkers
- People who refuse to smile in photos seem most frequently to be IxTx

So. Accurate. I would even take it a step further and say INTx.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I smile quite a lot, but i didnt use to so much before getting more in touch with my feelings. However i dont like smiling for a photo, or being photographed in the first place..

I think what [MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION] said about sx/sp fits me quite well. I think its more intense/calm tho than intense/self absorbed, but might be hard to judge this myself

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I only smile when I feel like smiling. I often get asked if I'm sad or angry. I'm usually not, I just don't find it necessary to go around smiling all the time, unless I have a legit reason. Honestly, I usually avoid people who smile all the time, because they are also usually the people who want to converse with me when I don't want to converse. I'll fake smile for a photo all day everyday though.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My neutral expression usually drives people away, but when I smile, everyone comes flocking to me.

I think extroverts are more likely to smile than introverts -- I've met a couple of IFs who were pretty cold at first glance. They usually only smile if they want to.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I smile a lot, and laugh easily, but am incredibly stoic otherwise. If I'm mad chances are I'll just stare or roll my eyes.

From my experience or people I know:

ISTJ - resting bitch face to the max
ISFJ - eh, sorta the same as the above but not as bad
INFJ - eyebrows raised
INTJ - straight face
ISTP - sort of neutral, looks happy but not really smiley
ISFP - looks sad :(
INFP - very expressive
INTP - I don't know
ENTP/ESFP/ENFP - constantly smiling, could light up a whole rooM
ESTJ/ESFJ - smiley, but kind of serious to begin with
ENFJ - can be sort of spaced out, they tilt their heads and laugh hard a lot
ENTJ - like the most charismatic people

jlhinfj

MBTI Type
INFJ
I am an INFJ and I don't smile a big toothy grin and laugh out loud to often, but I am generally happy, especially when no one is talking to me. When I am quiet and smiling people around me ask me why I am smiling. I am smiling because I am happily gardening or enjoying the colors in the sky or the companionship of one of my pets. Leave me alone and I will continue to smile.