• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Customer service traits and values

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I've thought about this alot. I've been nice in customer service jobs, tho perhaps inclining to T rather than F. Always behaved well, and deep down I've appreciated the job and most of all, I have VALUED the encounter with all the customers. Still I feel there is something missing.

I've thought what it is and I have a clue. I've long known I don't live for the clients. The whole idea would be ridiculous. I mean, no-one's life can be centered about customers? And by this, I mean customers in a low- to average paying customer service job.

For some fantastical creation of mine, or some big customer with a demanding order and sophisticated needs I really care about, of course I'm all the way interested to fulfill their desires, give them the best service, etc. It's just that I don't get the idea how someone could be enthusiastic for selling a person a carton of milk. Tho there's one of my friends, an ISFJ - turned ENFP - a test oddity or the real deal, you ask me - :shock: - who's really like that :shock:

My customer service is more like usual people appreciation, and I do appreciate people. I just can't adore people who come to the premises of some business I'm working at. I guess my customer service skills have varied from below average to above average, but heck, I can't love my customers. I just don't do. Unless it's somehow established how the best prospects for developing and earning is in just that.

My communication with clients is nothing short of excellent. The tone, the intent, taking care of their needs, etc. I even usually know a lot of the subject and can give a more educated answer than most other people in similar kinds of jobs I've held. I think that's a winner combo.

Yes, I'm inside very disagreeable. But I adapt the role of the customer service person adeptly, without regret, becoming a kind, social, agreeable yet honest person for the purposes of conducting good business.

I'm just wondering if my kind of people (who don't love their customers more than themselves) are forever barred from establishing their good customer service qualities in some sectors of the job market.

Moreover, what do you think as customer service and what traits are associated with it?

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
Most useful traits for customer service.

extroverted, good at reading people, knowledgable about the product, a desire to help people, an genuine enthusiasm about the product, polite, friendly, persuasive, able to keep your temper, skill at masking negative emotions (anger, frustration, etc)

I think knowledge of MB, combined with people reading could help. Different techniques would work better with different types. Do you appeal to emotion, do you show how you product is logically the best, etc?

Ilah

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
The closest I've come to customer service was telemarketing. Stuff you need there:

- absence of moral code (it's really really close to lying)
- selective memory (forget that "fuck off" from the customer and move on)
- funny way of talking (the customer hear you more personal, if you have weird voice)

I never was good in it.

MedGirl

MBTI Type
xNTJ
I've always wondering what type of people even would WANT to be a customer service rep, let alone be good at it... I've never done it personally but I imagine it being a really frustrating job, having everyone you call be annoyed that you're calling them (ie for a telemarketer) or having people expecting you to fix problems that you might not have the power to fix. It seems like it could be fun when you can easily solve the customer's problem, but I would be more discouraged by all the times the customer got mad at me because I wasn't doing enough.

For people who've done customer service jobs, how did you move on after a customer would yell at you or be rude to you? Did you learn ways not to be so bothered by this?

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
For people who've done customer service jobs, how did you move on after a customer would yell at you or be rude to you? Did you learn ways not to be so bothered by this?

I didn't get used to it. I really don't want to have a job that requires me to be "lower" than other people. They have no right to be rude to me if I am required to be nice to them. Its degrading.

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
ENFXs are the best customer service people. Friendly, caring, helpful...or at least they seem that way.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
ENFXs are the best customer service people. Friendly, caring, helpful...or at least they seem that way.

Actually I'd say ESF are. My best managers were ESFJs who knew their store and products literally inside and out and were in tune with the dynamics between the staff and customers. While I enjoyed retail/sales I couldn't see that being my life's work.

Generally I'd say ExFx, ESF, EFJ, ENF, EFP. Depending on what type of customer service/sales job (pharmaceuticals, cars, trading) I'd say ExTs as well.