• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] how common would it be for an ENTP to present as the archetype of ISTP?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I met a really amazing person today who tested as ISTP ten years ago in college and he has a lot of archetypal ISTP qualities like taking physical risks and getting into fights, but I swear to GOD he has Ne. He's an entrepreneur and seems to have endless ideas for businesses, he owns a clothing line and an art gallery and he was trying to give me branched out ideas so I can branch out in L.A. as an environmental preservationist but do it from the angle of small businesses. He's so full of ideas its baffling. Could he actually be an ENTP?

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would say it's fairly common

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I met a really amazing person today who tested as ISTP ten years ago in college and he has a lot of archetypal ISTP qualities like taking physical risks and getting into fights, but I swear to GOD he has Ne. He's an entrepreneur and seems to have endless ideas for businesses, he owns a clothing line and an art gallery and he was trying to give me branched out ideas so I can branch out in L.A. as an environmental preservationist but do it from the angle of small businesses. He's so full of ideas its baffling. Could he actually be an ENTP?

Does he like being alone?

We all do, but I personally hate it if it's for very long. I gain energy from people. ENTPs are DEFINITELY idea people, and I think ISTPs are very naturally curious, and I think it takes that and all the knowledge stored in your head to have great ideas. Combined with being action oriented, in the here and now.

Have him retake a test, but he sounds like he could be an ISTP still.

I don't think it's typical for an ENTP to be into extreme sports (maybe it is) but I love them. And am happiest when I'm around people and/or involved in engaging action. Mountain biking, Hot Yoga, Martial Arts, freaking building something. So like your ISTP, I don't know if that's typical for the type.

yeghor

ISTPs are tense. They have tense emotionless faces and cold stern eyes.

ENTPs are jolly and childlike.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Does he like being alone?

We all do, but I personally hate it if it's for very long. I gain energy from people. ENTPs are DEFINITELY idea people, and I think ISTPs are very naturally curious, and I think it takes that and all the knowledge stored in your head to have great ideas. Combined with being action oriented, in the here and now.

Have him retake a test, but he sounds like he could be an ISTP still.

I don't think it's typical for an ENTP to be into extreme sports (maybe it is) but I love them. And am happiest when I'm around people and/or involved in engaging action. Mountain biking, Hot Yoga, Martial Arts, freaking building something. So like your ISTP, I don't know if that's typical for the type.

He loves being alone. He spent like the whole day with me yesterday but told me he spends.large amounts of time alone and gets excited by his alone time, though he has friends and knows how to network around L.A. pretty well...I would totally go with ISTPfor him (he struggled with abstract subjects like physics and said he simply didn't care, which also tends to be my reaction to abstract math problems) ...but like he has numerous concepts for businesses and says he gets excited about developing potential in people, like how he wants me to start a business possibly in connection to people in another environmental related business in L.A.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
He has a CLEAR ISTJ father who was a former athlete who pushed him to be more athletic than he really is, but as an adult has gotten into skiing and dirt biking accidents (he was even in a wheelchair last winter and now walks again) - he says he was a bad kid and got into fights because his father was so overbearing he left him little other choice than to act out. He seems to have a lot of Fe, he feels guilty easily and people seem to like him which is why he is good at networking with "important" people but is very humbled by this relatively recent development....he was less social when he was younger, and later expressed bafflement with social dynamics that could suggest being Fe inferior or just TP.I definitely definitely detect quite a bit of Fe in him though. His former jobs doing things like boxing and carpentry suggest ISTP, in fact like I said the only reason I suspect Ne is because he has a ton of ideas and scenarios he comes up with which seems a more like Ne what if than Ni why. It just really stuck in my head also him saying how much it matters to him to develop other people who have xyz potential. Jungs Ne is all about potentiality.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=6877]Marmotini[/MENTION],

This is my story. I always test as ISTP, and my own family even seems to think it "fits you pretty good". I thought MBTI was bullshit for years because of this. (It kind of fits, but I didn't think...Oh wow! That's ME!!) When I got into cognitive functions, my true ENTPness became clear, and I have a lot more respect for the theory now (the JCF part, anyway).

So, I think it could be possible in the case of the new person you met. Maybe you should introduce him to the functions?

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh, I'll add this these responses:

He loves being alone. He spent like the whole day with me yesterday but told me he spends.large amounts of time alone and gets excited by his alone time, though he has friends and knows how to network around L.A. pretty well...I would totally go with ISTPfor him (he struggled with abstract subjects like physics and said he simply didn't care, which also tends to be my reaction to abstract math problems) ...but like he has numerous concepts for businesses and says he gets excited about developing potential in people, like how he wants me to start a business possibly in connection to people in another environmental related business in L.A.
I don't see this being incompatible with ENTP. It's bullshit that E's can't spend time alone. I've spent most of my life in socially-awkward self-inflicted isolation. I tend to feel frustrated by this, but Ne can sort of spin off anything. I do tend to get charged by interacting with others, but I also enjoy having time to myself, since that's the only time my Ne can run rampant.

Not liking math has nothing to do with the abstract thinking seen in intuitives. I personally found it all to be a major waste of time, as well as what the author "really" meant by thus-and-such a statement in most literature. With Ne, the abstraction is more about what implications some point of interest may have for future potential--"I could buy this house, paint it, and sell things from it". "This _______ would make a great _______." That kind of thinking. Not math.

He has a CLEAR ISTJ father who was a former athlete who pushed him to be more athletic than he really is, but as an adult has gotten into skiing and dirt biking accidents (he was even in a wheelchair last winter and now walks again) - he says he was a bad kid and got into fights because his father was so overbearing he left him little other choice than to act out. He seems to have a lot of Fe, he feels guilty easily and people seem to like him which is why he is good at networking with "important" people but is very humbled by this relatively recent development....he was less social when he was younger, and later expressed bafflement with social dynamics that could suggest being Fe inferior or just TP.I definitely definitely detect quite a bit of Fe in him though. His former jobs doing things like boxing and carpentry suggest ISTP, in fact like I said the only reason I suspect Ne is because he has a ton of ideas and scenarios he comes up with which seems a more like Ne what if than Ni why. It just really stuck in my head also him saying how much it matters to him to develop other people who have xyz potential. Jungs Ne is all about potentiality.
If he's showing lots of Ne and lots of Fe, I'd say ENTP is likely for him. Being athletic has nothing to do with it. I've gotten into fights with other people before, OK, and am quick to use the "physical force" button. I imagine coming from a house where such athleticism was encouraged would only up the ante in this regard. (I came from a house where everything physical and enjoyable was discouraged, so I did not develop in this regard, but I see it as having been a matter of upbringing rather than inherent strengths).

Do you know his enneatype, btw?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
[MENTION=6877]Marmotini[/MENTION],

This is my story. I always test as ISTP, and my own family even seems to think it "fits you pretty good". I thought MBTI was bullshit for years because of this. When I got into cognitive functions, my true ENTPness became clear, and I have a lot more respect for the theory now (the JCF part, anyway).

So, I think it could be possible in the case of the new person you met. Maybe you should introduce him to the functions?

It's possible. I told him what I mean by Extroverted Intuition. The way he remembers things puzzled me too, he says he has a hard time with linear memory, like he has to say the alphabet in his head to alphabetize sometimes, he forgets the name of things, and he remembers impressions of how it made him feel versus hard detail. However he just may have inferiority issues to an Si dom father, which I said were unfounded because he's obviously really creative and successful and makes things happen. He has more fire, as he puts it.

It could be this is how Ti/Ni works when applied to an interest in business exists, because he apparently likes his ideas to have real results. Then again I couldn't figure out if he was more excited about meeting me or if he could see his idea I inspired in him comes to fruition, like he wants to give ideas away and see them manifest. Isn't that Ne? IDK.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh, I'll add this these responses:

I don't see this being incompatible with ENTP. It's bullshit that E's can't spend time alone. I've spent most of my life in socially-awkward self-inflicted isolation. I tend to feel frustrated by this, but Ne can sort of spin off anything. I do tend to get charged by interacting with others, but I also enjoy having time to myself, since that's the only time my Ne can run rampant.

Not liking math has nothing to do with the abstract thinking seen in intuitives. I personally found it all to be a major waste of time, as well as what the author "really" meant by thus-and-such a statement in most literature. With Ne, the abstraction is more about what implications some point of interest may have for future potential--"I could buy this house, paint it, and sell things from it". "This _______ would make a great _______." That kind of thinking. Not math.

If he's showing lots of Ne and lots of Fe, I'd say ENTP is likely for him. Being athletic has nothing to do with it. I've gotten into fights with other people before, OK, and am quick to use the "physical force" button. I imagine coming from a house where such athleticism was encouraged would only up the ante in this regard. (I came from a house where everything physical and enjoyable was discouraged, so I did not develop in this regard, but I see it as having been a matter of upbringing rather than inherent strengths).

Do you know his enneatype, btw?

I think it's possible he's enneagram 6 because he said when he boxed it was more fueled by fear than rage. I think 6w5 could be a possibility, he really likes to work.

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's possible. I told him what I mean by Extroverted Intuition. The way he remembers things puzzled me too, he says he has a hard time with linear memory, like he has to say the alphabet in his head to alphabetize sometimes, he forgets the name of things, and he remembers impressions of how it made him feel versus hard detail. However he just may have inferiority issues to an Si dom father, which I said were unfounded because he's obviously really creative and successful and makes things happen. He has more fire, as he puts it.
If he really did have inferiority around an Si-dom, that may be the reason. I can tell you the effect that ISTJs have had on me! I feel so fricken stupid; an airhead. So, it may not be coincidental that this has manifested as it has.

It could be this is how Ti/Ni works when applied to an interest in business exists, because he apparently likes his ideas to have real results. Then again I couldn't figure out if he was more excited about meeting me or if he could see his idea I inspired in him comes to fruition, like he wants to give ideas away and see them manifest. Isn't that Ne? IDK.
That does seem Ne; I can't say I have experience with Ti/Ni doing business, though. I don't think any Intuitive wants to have unreal results, however--most want to realize their vision. I'd have said I was impatient with unreal results myself.

I think it's possible he's enneagram 6 because he said when he boxed it was more fueled by fear than rage. I think
6w5 could be a possibility, he really likes to work.
Sounds possible to me. Sixes can be very practical people, so it seems to me that this combined with his upbringing may influence some aspects of N-dom. But the final call is, of course, yours.

Doesn't everyone do that sometimes?
...I do. But I'm also an ENTP...!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Doesn't everyone do that sometimes?

He made a speech about it voluntarily, about how his father is so detailed and actually scoffed at him for having to recite the alphabet, and earlier in the day he talked about how his memory isn't linear, that he won't remember the order of events or time, but he will remember the events themselves, and how he forgets names. Si isn't memory, but it would affect the way he remembers things. So I don't think INTP would be a possibility really, well that and he's too spontaneous, like an SP or Ne dom.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
If he really did have inferiority around an Si-dom, that may be the reason. I can tell you the effect that ISTJs have had on me! I feel so fricken stupid; an airhead. So, it may not be coincidental that this has manifested as it has.

That does seem Ne; I can't say I have experience with Ti/Ni doing business, though. I don't think any Intuitive wants to have unreal results, however--most want to realize their vision. I'd have said I was impatient with unreal results myself.

Sounds possible to me. Sixes can be very practical people, so it seems to me that this combined with his upbringing may influence some aspects of N-dom. But the final call is, of course, yours.

...I do. But I'm also an ENTP...!

Maybe he has internal vision though, bc like he already knows what he wants his future house to look like and sketched a rough out line of it for me. He has an architecture related background in carpentry. His skipping around looks like it could be SP or Ne dom...he went to culinary school, dropped out, studied architecture and um I think a third thing too. Now suddenly he owns an art gallery after deciding he didn't want to have a men's clothing line. So then he meets me and I tell him about myself and his wheels turn and he says instead of going back to school you could do a or b, no wait b is best and I have connections in a related field. And he got so into the possibility of it. He also brought up an unconventional idea of how he and I could make money together related to my um ...own business background, but apparently he had the idea before and I.just happen to be some one to execute the plan with, maybe...He's been a business man in some regard since he was about twenty I guess and maybe is just a really good business minded individual.

Oh well we shall see. Thank you so much for your input.

Oh wait and his Fe is so nurturing it almost reminds me of my ESFJ ex after just one day, like can I do this or that for you, im sorry I will be more considerate, or maybe he pulls Fe out of his back pocket when he meets a pretty girl, idk. But his networking and schmoozing seems Fe and so does his readily apparent conscience about treatment of others. Then though he claims he was so ridiculously socially awkward when he was younger though.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i thought my boyfriend was an ENTP when we were first together. i even wrote it down on a piece of paper before he took the test in an attempt to show off my typing abilities, because i'd guessed a lot of people's results. but he scored ISTP, and a pretty highly introverted one.

which threw me off, because he is a partier with a pretty large social circle, and loves to engage in debates with people about abstract topics. he comes up with ideas all the time and keeps a book full of inventions he comes up with. but he also has a lot of ISTP traits, very mechanical/technically minded, fighter, physical risk taker, more sensual.

but i'm still not completely sold on any type, and he thinks MBTI is bullshit and hates when i make him take tests :shrug:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
i thought my boyfriend was an ENTP when we were first together. i even wrote it down on a piece of paper before he took the test in an attempt to show off my typing abilities, because i'd guessed a lot of people's results. but he scored ISTP, and a pretty highly introverted one.

which threw me off, because he is a partier with a pretty large social circle, and loves to engage in debates with people about abstract topics. he comes up with ideas all the time and keeps a book full of inventions he comes up with. but he also has a lot of ISTP traits, very mechanical/technically minded, fighter, physical risk taker, more sensual.

but i'm still not completely sold on any type, and he thinks MBTI is bullshit and hates when i make him take tests :shrug:

Lol...I think I will trust that this person is ISTP until I get to know him better IF I do...the only reason I have to think that he's Ne dom is his ease with creating business possibilities but that could also be an ISTP mechanic/fixer/problem solver characteristic he has, like because he liked me he wanted to solve my problem, especially since it would have tangible impact in the real world. He didn't criticize MBTI at all but mentioned he thinks something practical should be done with it, and I agreed and explained that it helps me understand myself and why others are different. I think it's also a game to me like a puzzle, I wonder if that's Ni relief function or something.

Thanks for your input. It sounds like your bf probably is ISTP. I thought I was an NF at first so a lot of misunderstanding of Ne vs Se abounds. A lot of SPs apparently think they are NPs because of big picture thinking. I spot it more online when I get frustrated that people's ideas have nothing to do with reality, or when I am impressed by a certain level of abstract creativity.