• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Less common mistypings in MBTI

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd like to discuss less common MBTI mistypings. Countless threads and discussions have focused on INFP-INFJ mistypes, ENFP-ENTP mistypes, INTP-INTJ mistypes, and so on.

What are some less common mistypings you TypoC users have seen? Perhaps we could list some. Are there some mistypings that could be impossible (for example, could an INFP ever mistype as an ESTJ)?

Why do these mistypings happen? I think it is a result of people taking a casual, passing interest in MBTI without delving deep into the theory or having a better grasp on JCF.

I thought I was an INFJ for a while. It seems crazy until you consider they share the same functions as ISTP, albeit in a completely different configuration.

yeghor

I'd like to discuss less common MBTI mistypings. Countless threads and discussions have focused on INFP-INFJ mistypes, ENFP-ENTP mistypes, INTP-INTJ mistypes, and so on.

What are some less common mistypings you TypoC users have seen? Perhaps we could list some. Are there some mistypings that could be impossible (for example, could an INFP ever mistype as an ESTJ)?

Why do these mistypings happen? I think it is a result of people taking a casual, passing interest in MBTI without delving deep into the theory or having a better grasp on JCF.

I thought I was an INFJ for a while. It seems crazy until you consider they share the same functions as ISTP, albeit in a completely different configuration.

Perhaps it has something to do with age.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
there has been a few people lately that my bf and i weren't sure if they were estp or isfp. i think channing tatum was one of them.

Also i think sometimes enfp and isfp are confused for each other.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I can't imagine that an ISTJ mistyping as an ISFP happens very often, but it did in my case.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
there has been a few people lately that my bf and i weren't sure if they were estp or isfp. i think channing tatum was one of them.

Also i think sometimes enfp and isfp are confused for each other.

I've occasionally seen that one. Is it because ENFPs can appear introverted and ISFPs can appear extraverted? Is it because of the Fi?

I think the ESTP-ISFP confusion makes a little more sense. I could see a male ISFP, especially a younger one in their teens or twenties, possibly mistype ESTP.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't imagine that an ISTJ mistyping as an ISFP happens very often, but it did in my case.

I first typed as an INFP from a Keirsey test. I casually accepted the result and went on with my life for several years until I learned about JCF and really delved into the theory.

I could see how there might be superficial similarities with ISTJ and ISFP and with INFP and ISTP.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
I score high on all 4 dichotomies which makes me obvious to type, but many people do not have that big a distinction in 1 or more areas. Since all 8 cognitive functions come in to play one way or another in each one of us, I can understand the mixup for some people.
I'm sceptical of types changing over time. Only yesterday I met a girl who said she went from ENFJ to ENFP, but personally I would have typed her ENFJ.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I have been mistyped a couple of times as an ISTP, but I'm not one. I only hang out with one five days a week.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I thought one person was ESxP. Turns out she was ENTJ... 31 years old, right in the age of developing her Se.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I mistyped my boyfriend as ENFP at first when it turns out he's (self-confirmed) ISFJ. He is warm and engaging in conversation and his ideas flow freely and rapidly. I mistook it for Fi and Ne when it was actually Fe and Si. Si is surprisingly beautiful and lush when articulated by a Si-dom.

atlascatcher

MBTI Type
NiFe
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I would think theoretically mistypings between the Si/Ne axes and Ni/Se axes would be less common e.g. an ISFP would be less quick to mistype as an ISFJ than an ISTP so long as someone got past the basic T/F stereotypes etc.?

I originally tested INTJ and that was my only ever real "mistype" other than reading about how all the functions manifest in each type to ensure I had it right. The thought now of being Fi over Fe is rather funny.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I talked about this before with [MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] but I sometimes see confusion between the 2nd and 4th letters when it comes to someone's type. So for example, ESFJ and ENFP, INTJ and ISTP, etc. For a ore specific example, I know a lot of people debated between ENTJ and ESTP for Gordon Ramsay.

Not sure what the reason is behind this though. Generally, though, it could be interaction style. :thinking: Like, ESFJs and ENFPs can both be warm and engaging. ENTJs and ESTPs can both be no-nonsense and directive. ISTJs and INTPs can both be analytical and distant. And so on. Just random speculating though. It could also be knowing one's perceiving functions but not judging.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION]
I don't notice this at all with FPs and FJs. Fi and Fe are just too different (unless you have, say, a 1 and 4 fixed FJ vs a 2 and 9 fixed FP)

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION]
I don't notice this at all with FPs and FJs. Fi and Fe are just too different (unless you have, say, a 1 and 4 fixed FJ vs a 2 and 9 fixed FP)

I know you want to distance yourself from any Fe user as much as possible but my experience is different. :D

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know you want to distance yourself from any Fe user as much as possible but my experience is different. :D

likely because you're 729 (which is a more Fe-ish tritype). it's probably the 8 in me combined with Fi/Te that doesn't get along with Fe (8 is somewhere in my personality. not sure where yet at the moment lol). 9 fixers are more amicable and the subtle (or not so subtle) implications of "should" which Fe is prone to are less bothersome to them.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

likely because you're 729 (which is a more Fe-ish tritype). it's probably the 8 in me combined with Fi/Te that doesn't get along with Fe (8 is somewhere in my personality. not sure where yet at the moment lol). 9 fixers are more amicable and the subtle (or not so subtle) implications of "should" which Fe is prone to are less bothersome to them.

á´…eparted

passages
You would think it would be more common, but it actually isn't: simple I/E mistypings.

Years back when I was on the INFJforums, the most common mistyping was between INFJ/INFP. The least? I'd say it's a close tie between INFJ/ISFJ and INFJ/ENFJ. The former was in such low frequency mostly due to horrible stereotypes perpetuated by the membership base. The latter was mostly because people never even entertained the possibility of being extroverted. Even if they were close on a dichotomy. They assumed they weren't socially adept enough, well liked enough, and interactive enough to be ruled by an e function. It was just assumed conclusion.

I thought I was INFJ for about 9 years (I was into typology as a teenager too), and it wasn't until early this year that I figured out I am actually ENFJ. I had never even considered extroversion as a possibility before. To many, it just seems like the most obvious thing to sort out, but in reality, it isn't. One really needs to try and avoid asking stereotypical introversion/extroversion questions to get it clear.

Elocute

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I am from personalitycafe, and I was kind of up for debate a few times, with some positing INFJ or INTJ. I'm not sure if it's a common mistyping, but I can relate to both.