• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

To what extent does MBTI/JCF influence outward personality and behavior?

Caw the rooks

MBTI Type
ENTP
It appears that when people bring up the subject of their personality and behavior, pertaining to MBTI, they are told to disregard this because it is about the inner thought processes of the individual, and not their outward personality. Ironically, I have seen many people type on the basis of outward behavior, even exclusively, going by certain stereotypes of a type's behavior. To me it is logical that it would in fact influence, perhaps to quite a significant extent, these outward aspects of themselves.

If a multitude of people have very similar thought processes, such that they'd type the same in the systems, then these similarities in thought would lead to a similarity in behavior. They'd probably be more likely to act akin to those of the same thought processes, than those who's said processes are different. There is the influence of the environment, especially as one grows up, but who says that this isn't what creates, or greatly impacts, the habits of thought that we are scrutinizing too?

To repeat the thread question, to what extent does MBTI and the functions influence outward personality/behavior? Is there no influence at all, e.i. two ESFJs could have completely opposing personalities, moderately so, or a very significantly so. Thanks.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It appears that when people bring up the subject of their personality and behavior, pertaining to MBTI, they are told to disregard this because it is about the inner thought processes of the individual, and not their outward personality. Ironically, I have seen many people type on the basis of outward behavior, even exclusively, going by certain stereotypes of a type's behavior. To me it is logical that it would in fact influence, perhaps to quite a significant extent, these outward aspects of themselves.

If a multitude of people have very similar thought processes, such that they'd type the same in the systems, then these similarities in thought would lead to a similarity in behavior. They'd probably be more likely to act akin to those of the same thought processes, than those who's said processes are different. There is the influence of the environment, especially as one grows up, but who says that this isn't what creates, or greatly impacts, the habits of thought that we are scrutinizing too?

To repeat the thread question, to what extent does MBTI and the functions influence outward personality/behavior? Is there no influence at all, e.i. two ESFJs could have completely opposing personalities, moderately so, or a very significantly so. Thanks.
It is correct that type refers to inner thought processes and not external behavior, but we cannot observe these inner processes directly. We can observe behavior. That being said, the same action can result from many different thought processes and motivations. We might see, for example, a young man give up his seat on the bus for an elderly lady. What type would this suggest? He might be doing it out of genuine concern for the lady, juggling her cane and shopping bags. He might be doing it out of habit, because he was raised that way; or to obey the posted rules on the bus. He might have a more general but sincere respect for all elderly people. He might even be doing it to impress the attractive girl sitting across from him.

We must be careful, then, when typing based on behavior. Two means of improving our accuracy on this basis are, first: looking at many instances of behavior over time. We see then not one action, but patterns of actions, taking place in different contexts and settings. Second, we can consider the person's reasons for doing the action, either by listening to what they say and observing the manner of the action; or more directly, by asking the person to explain why they acted as they did.

Jaguar

I was amused when I read a story from an MBTI coach who relayed what happened in one of her workshops. Apparently, one of the attendees received a message that her ex-husband suffered a heart attack and she was going to leave. The workshop was comprised of mostly NFs, but the only person to get up and go over to the woman to give her a big hug, and tell her everything was going to be okay, was an ISTP. The NFs just stood there, not knowing how to react. Surprising? To those who go by stereotypes, probably.

Knowing the comments made in this forum over the years, many people would have typed the guy an Fe dom. Completely backwards.