• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your "alien" type.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Mr Wildcat,

I've looked into the two charts, the extroverted version and the introverted version. I've considered the idea of NTs and TNs. I have some thoughts.

Firstly I think that such concentration on functions is not good practice. It seems to lead to a predisposition to type on tiny amounts of information and to draw assumptions as fact. This is not a criticism of you or any other, just the practice itself.

Secondly I believe that function analysis is more complex than it is being presented at present. The most prominent observable function is not necessarily the one most preferred. This can happen for a variety of reasons and yet is rarely compensated for. Again this is a criticism of the practice.

Third, no matter how long I stared at those two tables (I drew them out as you designed them... I hope) the more I considered that they only illuminate one missed axis. They are designed to show divides which just aren't always present. Similar to the false divide of being able to organise being placed within the J camp. Neither is persistently true.

What your study did get me thinking about was other type tables for development, something I think most miss in the MBTI. It is, after all, a system designed around development and not pigeon holes.

(Oh and somewhere down the line an idea for a new thread on what is Extrovert and Introvert was inspired...)
wildcat licks his wounds.

You do not like numbers I know.
As a special favour to you, I left out the numbers.
Therefore the drawing.

You are right about the outcome.
Not about the method.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP

Therefore the drawing.

Not about the method.
How do we understand Plato?
To listen to Gregorian music before we go to bed.

Plato is a triangle only?
He is a square.

Plato is a square only?
No.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Bluey - he's definitely an alien in my book....

Not to say all INTPs are - I usually love them!!! But this one's so...

<ahem> well, you know what I mean. :cheese:

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Yeah yeah.. I know preening when I see preening!!

( :hug: )
Therefore the drawing.
That did help.. still I am often unsure of why you go to such lenghts to illuminate such small corners of a persons personality or the system as a whole. It often occurs to me that by shining such a focused light you are casting a lot into shadow and sometimes to the detriment of the study as a whole.

I'm just no good at illuminating back again... usually I'm too interested in what you've found. Like all cats, when you've found something your eyes light up and I'm always curious to see what you've found which is soo entertaining.
Not about the method.
Perhaps that is so. I would say that, on balance, it is a precarious route to use specifics whether that be functions or individual letters. I use mannerisms and general pattern as a guide not because it's faster or more accurate on first try, it's not, but it does attempt to understand the person using MBTI instead of using any particular milestone which other methods seem so reliant upon.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah yeah.. I know preening when I see preening!!

( :hug: )

That did help.. still I am often unsure of why you go to such lenghts to illuminate such small corners of a persons personality or the system as a whole. It often occurs to me that by shining such a focused light you are casting a lot into shadow and sometimes to the detriment of the study as a whole.

I'm just no good at illuminating back again... usually I'm too interested in what you've found. Like all cats, when you've found something your eyes light up and I'm always curious to see what you've found which is soo entertaining.

Perhaps that is so. I would say that, on balance, it is a precarious route to use specifics whether that be functions or individual letters. I use mannerisms and general pattern as a guide not because it's faster or more accurate on first try, it's not, but it does attempt to understand the person using MBTI instead of using any particular milestone which other methods seem so reliant upon.
You are a holist.
I appreciate that.

Holistics is the all out survey. It is the best standpoint.
I agree even there.

When we pay attention to the detail for the sake of the detail we do not see the whole.
True.

Only when we pay attention to the detail for the sake of the whole we see the whole.

Reflection is an one way street.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
You are a holist.
I appreciate that.

Holistics is the all out survey. It is the best standpoint.
I agree even there.

When we pay attention to the detail for the sake of the detail we do not see the whole.
True.

Only when we pay attention to the detail for the sake of the whole we see the whole.

Reflection is an one way street.
Oh I do conceed that in studying the elements in detail we do gain greater clarity of the larger view, it just doesn't work to well for me. The larger picture always seems to contradict the study of the details.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Oh I do conceed that in studying the elements in detail we do gain greater clarity of the larger view, it just doesn't work to well for me. The larger picture always seems to contradict the study of the details.
Yes.

How come you were correct about the outcome and yet incorrect of the detail?
How come I was correct of the detail and yet incorrect about the outcome?

The reply is the precedent of the question.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
How come you were correct about the outcome and yet incorrect of the detail?
Not all details are equally relevant to the outcome. The size of bolt used on a car doesn't relate directly to the handling.
How come I was correct of the detail and yet incorrect about the outcome?
The tire composition is related to the handling directly.

:D

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Not all details are equally relevant to the outcome. The size of bolt used on a car doesn't relate directly to the handling.

The tire composition is related to the handling directly.

:D
I see. :doh:

Alas I use a street car.
No tires there! :smile:

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I find my opposite an ESTJ, which, I guess it should be..but I feel I differ in all aspects with them, but I don't know, I guess it all goes down to your preferences..