• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your polar opposite.

Alpha Prime

MBTI Type
XXXX
Enneagram
XXXX
Hey folks, what's kicking?

Are you in touch with your polar MBTI type?
If so, how does that side show itself in you and how strongly does it assert itself?
Are there any specific situations in which it surfaces?

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
Are you refering to the trait in the 8th position? Or all of the 4 shadow traits?

Usehername

On a mission
The complete opposite. In your case, ESFP.

Actually, the complete opposite of the INTJ is the ENTP. (Ni dominant vs. Ne dominant; Te auxiliary vs. Ti auxiliary, etc. is a faarrrr different way of "being" internally and interacting with the external world than the INTJ vs. ESFP, which at least internally share Fi and, externally, Te as useful skills and sometimes the others' dominant function (Ni or Se) as a useful skill.)

You mean the letter-opposite.

Usehername

On a mission
I get all pissed off and have these retardedly stupid manic shit fits which involve being a complete and utter fucking drama queen. :hug:

:huh:

edit: realized this was in response to the OP question rather than my clarification. undo self-centredness. :)

redacted

i get along extremely well with ESTPs, although i don't have any extremely deep relationships with them. two are in my group of friends, though, and they're awesome.

the type that i get along with least is the average-to-low-health ESFJ (followed closely by the ESFP). although we do have Fe in common, our perceptions are so different that our value judgments often differ. ESFPs can be even worse in certain ways because i have a lot of trouble communicating with Fi people AND they have intuition as an inferior function.

there are a lot of ways to think of "opposite" when you're talking about type. you could mean ISTJ, you could mean ENFP, you could mean ESTP, or you could even mean ESTJ. i personally think the best way to think of opposite types is to switch the first 3 letters and leave the last one (so ESTJ for me).

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't think of that as opposite. I have feel I have something in common with all the NT types, it is the SF types I often feel I have nothing in common with. Before I came here I didn't think I would feel any connection at all to any of the extroverts, but I find myslef identifying with many things said by ENT types. (Check out the "alieNs" thread for details.) I think NeTi is much closer to me (NiTe) than SeFi or SiFe.

I also think of ESFJ as more unlike me than ENTP. For both of them, my main 4 are in their shadow and visa versa. I think the opposite of Ni is Se (not Ne) and the opposite of Te is Fi (not Ti). An Ne understands and Ni a lot better than a Se understands an Ni. A Ti (secondary) understands a Te (secondary) better than a Si (secondary) understands a Te (secondary). This is based partly on experience, not just theory.

I am thinking my opposite would be ISFJ because going by the order of traits chart they are the complete opposite of me.
INTJ: Ni, Te, Fi, Se, Ne, Ti, Fe, Si
ISFJ: Si, Fe, Ti, Ne, Se, Fi, Te, Ni

Ilah

Actually, the complete opposite of the INTJ is the ENTP. (Ni dominant vs. Ne dominant; Te auxiliary vs. Ti auxiliary, etc. is a faarrrr different way of "being" internally and interacting with the external world than the INTJ vs. ESFP, which at least internally share Fi and, externally, Te as useful skills and sometimes the others' dominant function (Ni or Se) as a useful skill.)

You mean the letter-opposite.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Yay to XSFJ!
I am friends with a few of them- mostly chicks.
They are a pain in the ass to argue with- unlike XNTP's.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think individual differences matter a lot. The most difficult types for me to get along with are the SF types, which I concider my most opposite. In mean girls who verbal harass other people tend to be SF types, but that doesn't mean all SFs are like this. It only means I have had lots of negative experience with this type.

It really comes down to things like how nice the person is and how accepting the person is of those who are different. Fs are supposed to be more conciderate of other people's feelings, but I have met lots of Fs who were mean people. Many Fs tend to place lots of emphasis on their values. If you happen to share the same values as them (or at least the most important ones) they will generally like you and overlook most of your flaws and eccentricties. If you disagree with their values their opinion of you becomes very negative. A couple of times I have had people that I got along really well with untill it became clear that I did not agree with their values and then it got very ugly.

I think most of the time Ss cannot understand Ns. People who study MBTI a lot may be an exception. However, some Ss will accept Ns eccentricities. Sometimes Ss will express admiration to Ns on their original ideas or creative projects. But some Ss will look down upon you for being different. Sometimes they will try to change you to be more "acceptable," i.e. less different, thinking they are helping you by doing it.

I guess this is more about what they think of me than what I think of them, but I can't seperate the two. If people treat me poorly, they are stressful for me to be around and I avoid them when possible. I tend to feel very defensive, but I attempt to be neutral with them. I try to put on a very strong front, not necissarily agressive, but making it clear that I am not going to compromise myself for them.

If they are nice to me, I generally feel okay having conversations with them, even if I don't feel a connection with them. I tend to react by being a little more friendly and do things that don't come easy to me, such as acting sympathetic and listening politely to subjects I have no interest in.

Ilah

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I still don't think I've had much experience with ESFJs, but I'd like to get to know some more. In either case the few ESFJ's I have associated with in the past year or so I found a rather subtle connection with, in a sense that while we probably don't think the same way, we really don't have much trouble understanding what quadrant of the galaxy we're coming from, if you know what I mean.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I still don't think I've had much experience with ESFJs, but I'd like to get to know some more. In either case the few ESFJ's I have associated with in the past year or so I found a rather subtle connection with, in a sense that while we probably don't think the same way, we really don't have much trouble understanding what quadrant of the galaxy we're coming from, if you know what I mean.

The one ESFJ I got close to (she was a coworker for a few years) had some severe emotional issues, but our friendship was very nice and I learned a lot from her. She was good at the things I was bad at, and vice versa, and we were a good influence on each other... although sometimes we also ticked each other off a bit. She was one of the first people who helped teach me how to stand up for myself.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I married my ESFJ "opposite". Keirsey's PUM I even mentions the mutual attraction of INTP's and ESFJ's.
The Fe can be annoying if it's pushed too hard, but is otherwise very admirable. I think we get on each others nerves with our shadows more than anything else (oppositional Fi for her, oppositional Te for me. Both of which are the others' "daemon"). Learning how all this stuff works really helps take another look at those aspects of our relationship.

Now, the "opposite" in terms of having the primaries switch with the shadows (in the same order) would be ENTJ. I believe a grandmother and a first cousin (on the same side of the family) are such "pureChlors". I did not like being around them too much. Too critical. And they especially don't seem to like the way P's do anything.

Now, the type that has all eight functions running in the reverse order would be the ISFP. I don't know if I know any. (I'm in a heavy STJ environment, with some SFJ here and there). There are a couple of people I knew who may have been PhlegSans, and hence appear to fit into that type. (Nice and amiable, but were very physically active), and I get along with them, but the Fi goes over me, and my Ti seems too deep for them.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay - I'm stupid. What would my polar opposite be, then? :huh:

Oh yeah, I'm ENFP.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
(Old "Shadow" definition) first four functions running in reverse/opposite letters: ISTJ (SiTeFiNe)
(8 function theory shadows) last four functions: INTJ (NiFeTiSe)
All eight in reverse: ESTP (SeTiFeNiSiTeFiNe)

LunarMoon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Old Shadow: I’ve yet to test-type one of my friends or acquaintances as an ISFP though given their relative commonality I’m sure that I’ve run into them more then a few times. It’s sort of a mixed bag as to how I’d probably get along with them. On one hand Artisans are probably the only Sensor-types I relate to on a fairly deep basis; on the other hand, ISxx types tend to dislike me for being annoyingly loud so the relative lack of them in comparison to all of my ESxP friends would seem to make a good deal of sense.

8 Function Shadow: I severely doubt that the last four functions in the eight-function theory are as linearly ordered, as the listing would imply. I’m an ENTJ, most definitely a Judger by my typical behavior, and yet if the Function Test is to be believed Ne is actually my second function, not my 5th. I invent as a hobby and have a growing list of over 1,000 future inventions to create; that’s an extreme Ne characteristic. As for how I get along with INTPs, I’ve only confirmed two of them: a teacher I had in 11th grade and an acquaintance. Both of them greatly respected me and the teacher believed I was a natural scientist. I seem to get along well with INTPs and it’s easy to relate to their thought process.

All 8 Reversal: Most ESFJs don’t understand me at all. My personality clashes with theirs even more so than with ESTJs but with them we at least have the commonality of being Thinkers. With ESFJ’s on the other hand, I tend to come off as both insensitive and weird. It doesn’t help that both Fe and Si are my least valued functions, a fact I’m not ridiculously proud of.

Now, the "opposite" in terms of having the primaries switch with the shadows (in the same order) would be ENTJ. I believe a grandmother and a first cousin (on the same side of the family) are such "pureChlors". I did not like being around them too much. Too critical. And they especially don't seem to like the way P's do anything.

Being a Choleric isn’t necessarily the same thing as being an ENTJ and vice versa goes as well. Depending on which choleric traits stand out the most they can easily be any of the ExxJs, which would be a lot more likely as far as personally knowing two choleric individuals of the same type. If your first cousin is female than the chances of her being ENTJ are even lower.

Ishida

MBTI Type
INTJ
ESFP is mine, I guess? I think well of them, my girlfriend is ESFP. But I just can't discuss things very long with them, since I would rather discuss ideas and ideologies/philosophies than family problems.

Shadow functions as the dominant functions in the opposite order..
Si Fe Ti Ne Se Fi Te Ni would be ISFJ, they seem the more "opposite", I get along well with one of them (she's hilarious actually is actually IxFx.) but I don't understand how she works at all, and I doubt she even wonders what makes me tick..

lastrailway

ESFJs are cool in my book.
So are ESFPs, if we consider as polar opposite the type with the inverse function order.