• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fi or Fe?

Agnes

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
89?
I have few questions about Fi and Fe.

a) If you know what you feel but don't know why would that be Fi or Fe, or maybe both but it depends?

b) If you think that e.g. you consider your mom strictly as mom, but not as a buddy/other person, is that Fe? (I'm not saying you have bad relationship with your mother for strictly considering her mom)

c) If you feel like you want to 'change' other people so they have your personal value system is that Fi or Fe?

Tnx!:bye:

L

LadyLazarus

a) I see that as being more Fe, from what I understand and have experienced Fi usually understands not only what it is feeling but also why it feels what it feels. It could potentially be both though.

b) I think that's also more Fe than Fi if anything at all, I see people as individuals above all not as a conglomeration of whatever or their titles/occupations, etc.

c) That is Fi and the story of my life.

Anyway, I'm no expert so I'm answering these mostly based on personal preference/experience.

W

WALMART

A) more Fi

B) not type related, or undeclared opinion

C) feeling in general. Fe types will act out more on feeling.

atlascatcher

MBTI Type
NiFe
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
a. Probably both, humans are complex creatures.

b. :notype:

c. If you think they should have your values, or at least respect them in a way that doesn't show they have different values, Fi. If you're changing people to your ideals of them or what they could become "for their own good", I think that is more Fe.

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

a) If you know what you feel but don't know why would that be Fi or Fe, or maybe both but it depends?

b) If you think that e.g. you consider your mom strictly as mom, but not as a buddy/other person, is that Fe? (I'm not saying you have bad relationship with your mother for strictly considering her mom)

c) If you feel like you want to 'change' other people so they have your personal value system is that Fi or Fe?

a) weak F

b) I would have to know why you only consider your mom as mom.

c) depends which system we're talking about... :D In socionics this is very Fi-ish, in MBTI it could be Fe too. For the record, I don't really do this, I don't give a flying fuck what value systems other people have. I'll let them have whatever value system, fine. :D Now if we were talking about logical systems..... I do sometimes give too much of a fuck there. ;) Now, just to cover this topic entirely, sometimes I do get upset when someone doesn't seem to care about other people and then I try to "change" them or more precisely, their behaviour and feelings toward the other person/people, but that's not to do with their personal value systems, it's to do with how they approach other people, thus I attribute my caring about this to Fe preference, in MBTI.

c. If you think they should have your values, or at least respect them in a way that doesn't show they have different values, Fi. If you're changing people to your ideals of them or what they could become "for their own good", I think that is more Fe.

What do you mean by this "for their own good" and ideals of how people should be?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Sorry, none of these are necessarily type related.

Different functions can be applied in entirely diverging ways and still achieve the same ends. You'll have to be much more specific about the circumstances to figure out which function is involved.

á´…eparted

passages
Sorry, none of these are necessarily type related.

Different functions can be applied in entirely diverging ways and still achieve the same ends. You'll have to be much more specific about the circumstances to figure out which function is involved.

Came to say this.

There might be a slight lean towards one function experiencing one thing over another but I suspect it's weak.

Agnes

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
89?
Thank you all for answers! :) (do still come from others)

b) I would have to know why you only consider your mom as mom.
lol, I don't consider my mom only as mom! That is an example, not necessarily my opinion. Btw none of it is necessarily my opinion!

There might be a slight lean towards one function experiencing one thing over another but I suspect it's weak.

I get what you mean. I was trying to be as brief as possible. I was thinking maybe where all this 3 things I asked would be more likely Fi or Fe as where they in your opinion would be more common. If it would be more common/an indication of Fi, doesn't mean it's never Fe. If you really insist on it, I could give possibly more specifics.

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
lol, I don't consider my mom only as mom! That is an example, not necessarily my opinion. Btw none of it is necessarily my opinion!

Ok then take this as a general "you". :)

Agnes

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
89?
Ok then take this as a general "you". :)

huh I'm not sure what you mean :huh:. I know I'm now being very Te. In this examples I was just trying to get a better understanding of Fi and Fe and my confusion about these. I was not trying to talk about myself personally. If you must know I am completely opposite of b)! In my life I had a hard time understanding b) kind of people and I honestly think that is indication of Fe. For that I only come up with one example of it, but there are many: E.g. female person that 'values' family where it would stay with abusing husband, because well family. I mean, that's ridiculous to me. I mean no matter your family or love, how could you let someone molest you? That is common sense to me...

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't claim to be an expert on the functions so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

Knowing what you feel personally about things is Fi. Knowing why you feel that way sounds like a non-F function, maybe Ni or Ti?

I don't see this as being Fi nor Fe. Putting things in categories according to preset criteria- Ti maybe?

Hmmm, tricky. The personal value system stems from Fi. I see Fe as more inclined to want to change others but I also see Fe as wanting to change others to conform to some external social norm rather than conforming to their own value system. Also I think Fi would also recognize that others have their own unique values independent of theirs. So I don't really know. Maybe a combination of the two? Or there might be some other functions at work too.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't claim to be an expert on the functions so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

Knowing what you feel personally about things is Fi. Knowing why you feel that way sounds like a non-F function, maybe Ni or Ti?

I think I (respectfully) disagree somewhat here. I think any type can learn emotional awareness, but I agree that Fi tends to put a higher value on personal emotions/valuations, and Fi-ers tend to have more friendly and aware relationship with their emotions that most other types. For Fi-ers, an emotional reaction is valuable information: it points to something, even if the emotional reaction itself isn't "truth."

I think that Feeling functions naturally build up truths over time, and those truths include an understanding of emotional and social cause and effect. Being able to express those truths externally in a way comprehensible to others may require Thinking, since the interplay of subjective values and feelings can be hard to externalize clearly.

An aside on emotional awareness: just about anyone can learn how to be emotionally aware, and for some focusing explicitly on the bodily sensations that accompany emotions can be very effective. To me that approach tends to comes across as too mechanical and simplistic, but those who routinely ignore their emotional state tend to lose physical awareness along with emotionally awareness.

As aside about types and their relationship to emotion: It's been eye opening to me on this forum to hear about how others relate to their own emotions. For some younger INTPs, strong emotions seem to be experiences as an alien invader that will unexpectedly rise up and interfere with rational thought. Some INFJs tend to feel their emotions to powerful and dangerous to express directly, and that they should remain "the dragon in the basement". INFPs tend to view their emotions a continual barometer and as a companion that gives early warnings (dog or crying baby). Some INTJs tend to see their emotions as a vulnerability that is only shared with those they trust deeply.

I don't see this as being Fi nor Fe. Putting things in categories according to preset criteria- Ti maybe?

Everyone is capable of seeing others as a person and not a role (okay, barring narcissists, sociopaths, etc), so I think one can only address tendencies. I think Fe tends to be more aware of social roles and attendant responsibilities. I think Fi tends to be less aware of social roles and responsibilities.

Hmmm, tricky. The personal value system stems from Fi. I see Fe as more inclined to want to change others but I also see Fe as wanting to change others to conform to some external social norm rather than conforming to their own value system. Also I think Fi would also recognize that others have their own unique values independent of theirs. So I don't really know. Maybe a combination of the two? Or there might be some other functions at work too.

I agree. I think Fi-ers can lash out when a core value is trod upon (some things are just beyond the pale), but tend to leave a fair amount of room for differing opinions and outlook. This may not hold true, however, for very close friends and immediate familiar members who may feel silently judged for failure to live up to the Fi-ers values.

One way Fi-ers sometimes try to change others is to encourage people to "be true to themselves/their values." This can come across as relentlessly nudge-y in some circumstances.

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
huh I'm not sure what you mean :huh:. I know I'm now being very Te.

I meant "you" wasn't you but a general you, as in, a "you" applied to anyone. First hit in google for that term: on and the general "you" - WordReference Forums

I don't know what you meant by being very Te??? I'm curious :) let me know.

In this examples I was just trying to get a better understanding of Fi and Fe and my confusion about these. I was not trying to talk about myself personally.

Yes I already got that when I said take the "you" as a "general you". :)

If you must know I am completely opposite of b)! In my life I had a hard time understanding b) kind of people and I honestly think that is indication of Fe. For that I only come up with one example of it, but there are many: E.g. female person that 'values' family where it would stay with abusing husband, because well family. I mean, that's ridiculous to me. I mean no matter your family or love, how could you let someone molest you? That is common sense to me...

Idk but I don't think that's Fe. That doesn't seem to be entirely within the scope of MBTI...

Mychemicalkilljoy

MBTI Type
NOPE
Everyone is a little bit of both. No one is purely one thing. It's impossible. We're a concoction of different traits rolled up into a human size burrito. Have a wonderful day!!

Alomoes

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Now the way I see it is that Fe is outward expression of emotion. Romanticism. Beethoven is a great example of Ni + Fe.

Yelling and screaming a not necessarily this though. Yelling and screaming are more likely Te related, as you yell when someone does something wrong, ie crossing your values. I see it as an expression of logic.

Fi is the opposite. Taking in emotion.

Both Fe and Fi can take in emotion, but Fe does it by copying the emotion given. Fi reads the emotion and gets an answer. As such, we know how I communicate with people by infering that I am an Fe user.

Now the first question is what is it when you are aware of your own feelings, but not aware of why? Hrrm. I believe I know. Not even feeling related. A lack of awareness is related to Ni. Ni is also a very introspective function, because it is pointed inward.

2. When you consider your mother strictly your mother and not a buddy.

I see Fe as a treat everyone the same no matter what function. If this is what you mean, then yes. Reasoning is that Fe likes sameness for whatever reason. Hence why when I smile at someone, I am really looking for an equal reaction. I don't know. My mother does this with me. It could be Te, in that case. She is an Fi dom, and Te goes with Fi.

3. Changing people is likely related to the thing that says they need to be changed. I identify this as Te.

As such, the person in question would logically NOT be INTJ. Reason is because said person identified qualities that strike him/her as odd, and it is not enough to type with.

But yeah. There goes my attempt at making functions quite useful, and easy to understand. Mostly borrowed from Socionics descriptions of the quadras, (Just look up socionics quadras), which I agree with from empirical data.

I believe that above is Ni. Correct me if I'm wrong.