• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Intuitives are overrated

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Seriously intuitives are overrated: All of the sites that I have ever been to and every test that I have ever seen tends to act like intuitives are naturally better then sensors overall. They act like intuitives are like X-Men mutants or something and like they are like the new and evolved version of human beings. The tests do everything but come outright and say, "If you are an intuitive you are basically just born superior." It's certainly true that intuitives tend to be much better than sensors at thinking outside the box, looking at the big picture and thinking of what's going happen in the future and not just what happened in the past or in the present moment, understanding abstract concepts, and tend to be more imaginative than sensors overall. Yes, these things are what are truly great about intuitives.

However, I think that intuitives tend to be overrated. Many people don't really think about the drawbacks of being an intuitive. For instance, because intuitives are so imaginative, many of them live in somewhat of a fantasy world and they are way out in outer space. I can't tell you how many intuitives that I know that are not in touch with reality at all. The problem with this is that many of them kind of don't know what the hell is going on around them. For example, I am a college student and I have met countless intuitives that are going to college for some type of random subject that won't get them a job...period. For instance, many intuitives go to school for philosophy. Philosophy is a very abstract subject that many intuitives can intellectually masturbate to, but they really won't get you a job. Now just about all of my sensing friends tend to much more aware of reality and what's really going on in real life, and tend to be more likely than many intuitives to go to school for something useful that will actually get them a job. Not all intuitives tend to be academic, however. For instance, many NF's tend to get lost in this romance/twilight world of theirs and tend to also get lost in their imaginations. Also, many NT's tend to get lost in their imaginary online gaming worlds for instance. I can't even tell you how many INTP's that I have met that tend to get lost in "World of Warcraft" for instance, and tend to actually think that they are a Knight from the game and that becomes their entire life.

Sensors tend to be grounded in reality, and tend to know what's going on in real life. Also, they tend to not become so lost in the future that they completely neglect the present, and this is sadly something that many intuitives are guilty of. Again, I think that sensors are underrated and that intutives are not as good as they are trumped up to be. \

Comments?
[MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION]

You may want to check this thread out.

Noon

If it were impossible to lose touch with reality in reality then celebrity gossip wouldn't so often be front page news.

yeghor

Actually they may be underrated by S dominant societies, as weirdos or procastinators or no-gooders. Because they do not necessarily produce tangible or visible products.

I think both have uses in the society. Ns may serve as visionaries and innovators in their respective environment and help the society get out of a rut, or may lead them to their demise.

Being an intuitive may imply an inability to deal with the present and real circumstances and an escape into fantasy to deal with that. That inclination may be a result of the individual's physiology, physical and mental capabilities.

A strong N might signify an overactive central nervous system and brain activity, hence might imply that Ns may have a higher potential to get better at certain intelligence domains than Ss or even Ts.

Perhaps certain N types manifesting less frequently than other types in the society should make them a valued resource.

á´…eparted

passages
Yeah they're overrated, and S types underrated. Descriptions are hugely tilted to favor some types over others, and intutivies are by and large made to seem a lot more special, talented, and intelligent than their S counter parts. I'd say INFJ's (and to a lesser extent ENFJ's) are the worst in this regard.

It's unfair and annoying.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh yeah, I pretty much agree. The profiles do mention how much more pragmatic & realistic Sensing types are, but I guess that doesn't sound as sexy as "imaginative" or "abstract thinkers". In reality, being pragmatic & realistic is very sexy if it leads to, you know, living life.

This applies more to INxx types than the others, but we're also the most exoticized (yes, even us INFPs, the low man on the iNtuitive totem pole).
ENxx types do seem to DO more, but what is talked less of is how they can be fickle & unstable still, not possessing the steadiness or loyalty of Sensing types (yes, I include SPs with that).

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'd trade one holographic INFJ for an ESFJ booster pack.

carte-pokemon-booster-jungle-912003666_ML.jpg

á´…eparted

passages
Why are you dissing your own kind?

See sig.

I'll make an analogy. If it looks like a dog, smells like a dog, sounds like a dog, then it is a dog. Doesn't matter if you are one too. It is what it is (at least how we see it anyway). For me anyway, I have no issue dissing myelf or "my kind" if they do a wrong, or are wrong. It's the honest thing to do.

yeghor

Ns are the minority IRL. So does this mean the positive spin in N descriptions are due to them having been written by N types or are simply due to marketing strategy aimed to make them sound appealing hence stroke the ego of the individual?

Then why don't S types feel their ego being stroked?

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
So does this mean the positive spin in N descriptions are due to them having been written by N types

Yes, that's why.

@OP : get real dude: In real life sensors are overrated.

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They act like intuitives are like X-Men mutants or something

What's with the intuitives and X-men mutants analogy? If we're going that route, then I must say, the only member of the team that even remotely resembles an INFP would be... Wolverine! The sideburns are a dead give away. If you disagree then...

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
What's with the intuitives and X-men mutants analogy? If we're going that route, then I must say, the only member of the team that even remotely resembles an INFP would be... Wolverine! The sideburns are a dead give away. If you disagree then...

The descriptions act like intuitives are the superior beings that have super powers that the sensors don't. lol

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does this really still happen? I can't remember the last time I saw this on TypoC. Maybe on PersonalityCafe.

But yeah, my best friend is probably an ESFJ and SP's are some of the coolest people around. Se über alles.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Does this really still happen? I can't remember the last time I saw this on TypoC. Maybe on PersonalityCafe.

But yeah, my best friend is probably an ESFJ and SP's are some of the coolest people around. Se über alles.

Happens all the time.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Happens all the time.
Like I said, I haven't seen it happen here in a long time. That attitude isn't part of the "forum culture" anymore at least.

Your OP is also full of trite stereotypes about intuitives, ironically. People who live completely in their fantasy world are schizophrenics, not intuitives. I know how to tie my own shoes and do what I need to get where I want.

Agnes

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
89?
I don't agree that N is so bad. I would say my gut feelings are really good and the fact that I like fantasy may be hard on me, but at least my life isn't boring. Thinking in advance is also very good trait. I am not saying that there aren't bad sides, there are always good and bad sides, in N and S too.

I would agree that S may be more underrated. I personally love many S people as they are more 'alive' as living more in the moment. But I have really healthy S traits. I am able to let myself go and enjoy in a moment when with others, I just never loose focus on my plans. S people might not be worried about the future so much, but they could also have a healthy side of maybe having in mind what matters to them.

I think that S and N may be considered here too extremely. People are just complex, in a way we all have S and N, just depends which dominates and none of it has to be better than other. What makes a person better than another are that person's level of 'mastery'. I don't know if you get me. But there are smart people, some kill people and some are like Martin Luther King. The fact that someone is smart therefore doesn't make them necessarily 'better'.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Each type has their strengths and weaknesses. Someones idea of which strength is the best overall or which weakness matters least is a personal opinion and thus is entirely subjective. Naturally some strengths are more important on some specific tasks, but everyone can develop those in themselves, and there is the perfect task for the natural strengths of each type.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Online, intuitives are probably overrated - due to type descriptions glorifying them.

In real life, I don't think that's the case.

I think with regards to N descriptions, they're going to attract mistypes from S's who don't fit in / relate to their peers (as N descriptions emphasize the 'differentness'), as it's an illusion that all S's just totally fit in and such due to S-dominated (supposedly) world -- as well as smart S's who can see the big picture. There's definitely an N=uber-intelligent leaning that isn't usually emphasized in most S descriptions. [I still wonder how many people type stupid N's as S's, just because they're stupid N's, and N descriptions make it sound as if all N's are blessed with miraculous insight and intelligence, lol] The stereotypes continue online, though it's subtle. I do think it's becoming less of a problem though.

But yeah, as [MENTION=21508]Agnes[/MENTION] noted, the other element is that I think many people are more balanced, have learned to go beyond their preferences, so don't mirror the archetypes to a T. So the descriptions become less relevant to those people I think.

W

WALMART

Actually they may be underrated by S dominant societies, as weirdos or procastinators or no-gooders.

There has never been an S-dominant society, bar enclaves of monks and schools of physicists.