• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI & Co-relation wt. Keirsey 4 Temperaments

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
Moved from Intro.

HI ROOM,

I am HR professional re-discovering Types thru MBTI.

I have plans to apply the TYPE indicator for employee population for obvious reasons.

I would be interested to know if anybody / any of you has ever mapped 4 Keirsey's Temperament Sorter SP,SJ,NF & NT using MBTI?

Google tells me that although Kiersey's indicators has no direct association with MBTI, but there is a corelation of .74 which is fairly high.

This logically means we can use MBTI to describe the 4 temperament of Keirsey.

Would look forward to hear from all of you !

RAKS
ESTJ

Hello Raks,

A number of us use Keirsey's Temperaments. His theory is very accessible to someone new to Type so it has great practical use. Otto Kroeger Associates's MBTI Step-1 Qualifying class covers temperament; I qualified through CAPT, so I can't say much beyond that.

Keirsey's Temperament theory splits from MBTI both in Type Development and how the letters are used.

For instance, in MBTI the difference between an INTP and INTJ is in the process preference sequence. (TiNeSFe for INTP and NiTeFSe for INTJ) The J/P indicates which process is Extraverted. According to classic MBTI type development, you develop your Dominant function, then your auxiliary, then your tertiary, then (if ever) your inferior.

In Keirsey (from what I understand), P and J don't relate to Extraverted process and type development happens very differently. Again, I'm not an expert here, so I will stop at this point.

It seems to me that Temperament Theory uses observable behavior more that the unseen internal processes. MBTI tries to get at the internal processes by way of what's observable.

What you decide to do with Type should guide your approach. If you are working with employees and simply wish to improve teamwork and raise awareness of Type diversity, starting with Temperament seems like a good idea. I don't think the two theories are so dissimilar that you'll cause much harm, IMHO.

Could you clarify your "obvious reasons"? It's remarkable how often the obvious isn't so obvious. :)

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
In Keirsey (from what I understand), P and J don't relate to Extraverted process and type development happens very differently. Again, I'm not an expert here, so I will stop at this point.

Damn, I had this post at INTPc and I can't find it :huh:

The main differences, theoretically, between Keirsey's vs MBTI is the structure behind each.

In MBTI, one observes, tests for four traits and assumes the heirarchy inherent in that type. In Keirsey's, the traits are treed - that is, there is an assumption of dominance of the four traits.

They run (effectively):

Code:
            N/S
             /\
            /  \
           /    \
        T/F      J/P
         |        |
         |        |
        J/P      T/F
         \       /
          \     /
           \   /
            E/I

Unlike MBTI, the dominant traits in Keirsey's play a far more important role than the sub-traits, whereas in Jung/MBTI, E/I plays the dominant role (though MBTI expresses this as attitudes).

For example, in MBTI, INTP and ISTP are viewed very similary, while in Keirsey they would be miles apart because they divide at the top of the tree.

One major advantage to Keirsey is that it looks at behaviour only, which tends to be more pragmatic.

For all intents and purposes, you can easily translate MBTI types into Keirsey's types, just so long as you aren't doing research or something similar. If you want to apply the theory, however, you need to explain it to people differently - the two theories do not mesh well together at all, despite being based on very similar personality facets. In general, the easiest is to explain the NT/NF vs SJ/SP as that will cover 90% of Keirsey.

And of course, I highly recommend using FFM instead. :D

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
What's FFM?

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
What's FFM?

Sorry, any Five Factor Model/Big Five. (Neo especially, but that might be a bit much for consumers. I know Centacs and the like have some version of the test, but I'm not very familiar what other commercial tests are out there.

(The main reason for this is because it'll get rid of the major problems with the current tests - that is, theory - as well as add the Neuroticism measurement, which is extremely useful.)

Other than that, I can say that my company used the Predictive Index as well as the MBTI.