• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

extraversion/introversion of functions

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
So i accidentally clicked on personality cafe since long time and someone had thanked from this reply i made long time ago there where i explained I/E of functions, so i guess id post it here aswell:

The basics of typology is that there are 4 functions; T, S, N and F, and these functions have both subjective and objective sides to them. Extraversion and introversion of these functions means whether you have trusting attitude towards the subjective or objective side(and opposite orientation has a mistrusting attitude towards it, i.e "it is repressed to the furthest limits" -Jung).

For example an INTP has a trusting attitude towards the subjective side of thinking and mistrusting attitude towards the objective, will not see concrete facts as truth automatically just because they are displayed in the external world, but will evaluate whether that thing makes sense via subjective logic before seeing it as true or false. When it comes to INTJs for example, who have dominant subjective attitude(Ni), but still prefer objective attitude to thinking will more readily accept objective facts as true, but will have mistrusting attitude towards possibilities in the external world(perceived by himself or given by others), unless ofc it makes sense in their subjective world.
Same way an INFJ would more readily accept, notice and process the value systems in the external world(values of others, negative/positive nuances of others speech, values prevalent in the society etc) and how they react to those(mainly how they fit to their big picture understanding and ideas(Ni) and whether or not they make sense to him(Ti)). INFP on the other hand while being capable of seeing value systems in the external world, that kind of processing comes more from empathizing with the external world via Ne and seeing how those things would affect the INFP personally, instead of looking at those things from the objective side of values and internal logic/ideas.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The way I had it explained once, is that the attitude is the "standard" one turns to, which is either the internal subject, or external object.
"Standard" makes me think of a judgment, so I'm not sure whether there should be a different term for perception attitudes, but extraverted perceptions were portrayed as dealing with emergent data, while introverted ones were from a "storehouse" of data.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
The way I had it explained once, is that the attitude is the "standard" one turns to, which is either the internal subject, or external object.
"Standard" makes me think of a judgment, so I'm not sure whether there should be a different term for perception attitudes, but extraverted perceptions were portrayed as dealing with emergent data, while introverted ones were from a "storehouse" of data.

Yes, attitude means "readiness of the psyche to act or react in a certain way" (Jung, [1921] 1971:par. 687), which is also habitual(or in other words the standard for that person) because, well you wouldnt be in a state of readiness without conscious efforts if it werent habitual. I dont really see any connotations to judging there, also its not that Si for example doesent look outside at emergent data, but it just doesent take the emergent data as a face value that it works with, rather it contrasts the emergent data to(/abstracts it based on) inner experience of the situation and habitually chooses that inner experience(which is the abstraction based on the emergent data) to be the more relevant in further processing.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
its not that Si for example doesent look outside at emergent data, but it just doesent take the emergent data as a face value that it works with, rather it contrasts the emergent data to(/abstracts it based on) inner experience of the situation and habitually chooses that inner experience(which is the abstraction based on the emergent data) to be the more relevant in further processing.
Well, that's pretty much part of what I meant by the "storehouse".