• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Why are certain types so wordy?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Who has time nor want to read a 3 page dissertation on why clowns are scary than demons? Just watch the movie It that is the answer, no need to write 3 pages on it

HollyGolightly

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Wordy is writing or as in the way they speak? I think you could say I am wordy. I waffle too much because I want to state my point absolutely perfectly. I also have a load of sub thoughts. And I don't know how to be concise. Limiting this post to just a few sentences is causing me pain.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sometimes it's Ne (see ENFP wall of text). I think it may be related to learning styles, though. I don't think or learn well verbally, an I find it tricky to communicate verbally, so I tend to be terse because it is hard work. But I try to be concise with my thoughts that are not easily corralled.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Wordy is writing or as in the way they speak? I think you could say I am wordy. I waffle too much because I want to state my point absolutely perfectly. I also have a load of sub thoughts. And I don't know how to be concise. Limiting this post to just a few sentences is causing me pain.
written

do you mean Ti causes wordiness?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm wordy. With nearly everything. I'm working on it actively--trying to be more precise with what I say by using fewer, more accurate words.. but I really suck at it.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm wordy. With nearly everything. I'm working on it actively--trying to be more precise with what I say by using fewer, more accurate words.. but I really suck at it.

i guess perhaps, sometimes there's a happy medium. in every day conversations it's not rare for me to say one word answers and often time the conversation ends and we just stare at each other.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
written

do you mean Ti causes wordiness?

Sometimes. I'm kinda picking on Ti cause it's funny. But often people with strong Ti usage will be more carefully articulate and precise about their wording. Especially in combination with Ne, this can lead to some long paragraphs - there is, in particular, a certain type of young INTP wall-o-text that seems to recur every so often.

But there can be a lot of reasons for wordiness. Ne is certainly amongst them. I'm sure there are some broad correlations with type, but I suspect it depends on a lot of non-type factors as well.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Who has time nor want to read a 3 page dissertation on why clowns are scary than demons? Just watch the movie It that is the answer, no need to write 3 pages on it
I try always to use all the words necessary to convey my idea, and no more. (I won't claim always to succeed at this.)

At work, I just finished compiling a 129-page report.
I then had to summarize it in a 4-5 page conclusion.
Next I had to write a 1-page executive summary.
Finally, I wrote a 200-word abstract.

I can do it, but this makes quite plain what is lost at each reduction.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I try always to use all the words necessary to convey my idea, and no more. (I won't claim always to succeed at this.)

At work, I just finished compiling a 129-page report.
I then had to summarize it in a 4-5 page conclusion.
Next I had to write a 1-page executive summary.
Finally, I wrote a 200-word abstract.

I can do it, but this makes quite plain what is lost at each reduction.

you do know when I went to quote you more words appeared? the forum has been acting strange lately. I have the opposite problem, I get accused of not saying enough even though I'm like it's right there. And it is, but still the other person doesn't believe me. So I just give up and go o ok.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
you do know when I went to quote you more words appeared? the forum has been acting strange lately. I have the opposite problem, I get accused of not saying enough even though I'm like it's right there. And it is, but still the other person doesn't believe me. So I just give up and go o ok.
I saw your posts in the Forum glitches thread, with Werebudgie. Not sure what is going on there. With luck, Highlander, etc. can figure it out.

As for wordiness, the key at work is to know our audience. The complete technical report wants one level of detail; the senior leaders want the whole story in 2-3 minutes. I've become rather good at condensing very complex stuff into essentially a sound bite, but I always cringe inside when I have to do it.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I saw your posts in the Forum glitches thread, with Werebudgie. Not sure what is going on there. With luck, Highlander, etc. can figure it out.

As for wordiness, the key at work is to know our audience. The complete technical report wants one level of detail; the senior leaders want the whole story in 2-3 minutes. I've become rather good at condensing very complex stuff into essentially a sound bite, but I always cringe inside when I have to do it.
yeah perhaps. I'm just thinking and could be totally wrong but maybe because i'm easily distractble i lose thoughts in the middle of things and forget to finish them, but then once it's done and sent i think i've said everything i;ve wanted to say but haven't? I dunno not important.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Really? I rather enjoy doing this.

Something about getting to the bottom line, in least amount of words, is extremely appealing to me. I was never able to write very long essays in school. I found it to be a waste of time.

Do you cringe because you have to do it. As in, you have no choice?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'm wordy by nature, but ever since one of my English instructors called me "prolific" I've been trying to work on it. At the very least I try to break things up. If I'm staring at a wall of text and it's not a good story, chances are pretty good I'll tl;dr it. It's worse now because I'm starting to lose my near-sight but I don't want to wear bifocals, so it is physically uncomfortable to even try.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm wordy by nature, but ever since one of my English instructors called me "prolific" I've been trying to work on it.

I had a professor refer to me as "prolific," but she meant it as positive feedback, often sharing my writing in class. Did your instructor mean something negative?

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Really? I rather enjoy doing this.

Something about getting to the bottom line, in least amount of words, is extremely appealing to me. I was never able to write very long essays in school. I found it to be a waste of time.

Do you cringe because you have to do it. As in, you have no choice?
There's the bottom line, and then turning that line into a dot. I have no problem cutting to the chase, but resent oversimplification as it does a disservice both the topic, and to the people claiming to want the information. It feels almost like being forced to lie, or at least misrepresent the situation.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am wordy. Some people are just born loving words. I don't know that it has anything to do with type. There are authors of varying MBTI types.

Pretentiousness in wordiness I tend to attribute to Ti. Ti can make things dense (not as in stupid, but as in thick to wade through) over precise, and in the case of educated Ti users, full of specialized jargon.

I tend to be wordy more in the sense of yarn weaving story telling, or long babbling explanations.

R

Riva

Yes i think ti users tend to be wordy. Including ti terts.

Actually especially infjs.

Ni all explained by ti makes things quite wordy. Intjs tend to keep it precise.

Yeah infjs seem tend to be the wordiest types.

I had a professor refer to me as "prolific," but she meant it as positive feedback, often sharing my writing in class. Did your instructor mean something negative?

So brainy.

R

Riva

I am wordy. Some people are just born loving words. I don't know that it has anything to do with type. There are authors of varying MBTI types.

Pretentiousness in wordiness I tend to attribute to Ti. Ti can make things dense (not as in stupid, but as in thick to wade through) over precise, and in the case of educated Ti users, full of specialized jargon.

I tend to be wordy more in the sense of yarn weaving story telling, or long babbling explanations.

I've noticed that pretentiousness in wordiness mostly in 5w4s in rl. Oddly enough the 5w4 intps here doesn't seem that way at all. However the intjs seem so.

Ti tends to over specify/explain too much whereas te tends to keep it precise and only tend to specify if someone inquires or if someone missed what they were trying to explain.

And omgosh you are back! Perfectly coincides with sim's unbanning.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've noticed that pretentiousness in wordiness mostly in 5w4s in rl. Oddly enough the 5w4 intps here doesn't seem that way at all. However the intjs seem so.

Ti tends to over specify/explain too much whereas te tends to keep it precise and only tend to specify if someone inquires or if someone missed what they were trying to explain.

And omgosh you are back! Perfectly coincides with sim's unbanning.

I know. It's not a coincidence.

Anyhoo, I just find for example even casual conversations with Solitary Walker tiring, and English isn't even his first language. I have similar headaches with a lot of academic texts which I swear on my life are conspiratorial works of xNTPs and INFJs.

In school I do best with clear concise text, hopefully with points and boxes and graphs. I want TJs to write all of my text books.

Bullet points for everyone!

I am sure my blah blah blah also exhausts or annoys some people.