• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

AlieNs in a crowded eStablishment

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
Personally, I see N type people as the cause of most of the trouble on earth. If you look at all the social revolutions and almost any one that came up with a crazy ass new approach to living life that people believed in and died for, it was probaly an N type person.

I will admit that some N types are probably more trouble maker prone than others, but still we are all good at creating dischord by trying to look at things differently than the norm which people are comfortable with.

You don't even have to go as far back as hitler, just look at the 60's and 70's and all the crazy ass revolutionaries all across the globe. People were hijacking planes and blowing shit up like it was going out of style.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Being on the borderline, I never was able to really fit in either with the really concrete normal sensing people or the airheaded intuitives. I would have been happy either way, I think.

(insert public service announcement jingle here)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Personally, I see N type people as the cause of most of the trouble on earth. ...You don't even have to go as far back as hitler, just look at the 60's and 70's and all the crazy ass revolutionaries all across the globe. People were hijacking planes and blowing shit up like it was going out of style.

But ... But Hitler wasn't an N!

*duck*

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
:azdaja:

This ain't no joke, this be some serious, serious business!!!

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Around my intuitive friends, I fit in well. Around others, not so much, but a well-adjusted person can fit in with either crowd.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
There are those who are exceptionally tall, short, intelligent, flexible, talented, etc. from the norm, i.e. the average human population, no?

:huh:

I understand this.. But I also understand that there are a great many--far too many--whom believe themselves to be a part of this elite.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Hey, I can take it seriously in content while still having a bit of fun with the title, right?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I understand this.. But I also understand that there are a great many--far too many--whom believe themselves to be a part of this elite.
Lol, totally.

But, but, I am really special because my mommy told me so!!!

:D

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
But, but, I am really special because my mommy told me so!!!

Well, my mommy never loved me, and that is why I have chosen to topple you from your pedestal, darling.

See, the view isn't so bad from down here.

:D

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Personally, I see N type people as the cause of most of the trouble on earth. If you look at all the social revolutions and almost any one that came up with a crazy ass new approach to living life that people believed in and died for, it was probaly an N type person.

I will admit that some N types are probably more trouble maker prone than others, but still we are all good at creating dischord by trying to look at things differently than the norm which people are comfortable with.

You don't even have to go as far back as hitler, just look at the 60's and 70's and all the crazy ass revolutionaries all across the globe. People were hijacking planes and blowing shit up like it was going out of style.

The whole point here is, the smarter we get, the easier it is to invent ways to inflict harm upon others.

We have a choice here to continue to seek knowledge, or revert back to tribalism. The latter results in an imminent collapse of civilization. The former, just might, might not, depending on whether or not we will come up with ways to destroy ourselves and others and implement them.

I do not think that intelligence makes us wicked directly. However, it tempts us to be wicked as it allows us to get our way at the expense of others with impunity. The way to counter this, we should not inspire all to revert back to our simple, animalistic (non-N) ways, but by becoming wise enough to stop those who think they can use their intelligence to take advantage of us. After all, the reason they can use their intelligence to inflict harm upon others with impunity is simply because most people around were not smart enough to figure out what they were up to.

Yes, it is the Intuitives who have caused most harm in the world. However, they have also caused the most 'good' in the world. This is the case because major changes stem from great ideas. Non-Intuitives merely have carried out the task of implementing the ideas.

On this note, it is not only manifestly desirable to further seek knowledge, but ought to also be obligatory of all of us capable of doing so. By shirking this obligation we leave an opening for ourselves and those around us to be taken advantage of.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Supplemental material:

It should be noted that from the standpoint of applied typology, Intuitor and Intuitive are different terms. An Intuitor is one who is unconsciously predisposed to rely more on the Intuitive faculty than the Sensing faculty. It does not mean that he uses Intuition well, as cultivation of this skills requires aposteriori practice. It is not innate and it is not acquired through pure contemplation.

An Intuitive however, is one, be he Intuitor or not, who has the skills of using Intuition. Such people are indeed more likely to be intelligent and come up with ground-shaking ideas as Imagination, or ability to concoct abstract notions (Intuition) is indispensible for this task. Imagination is analogous to ideas as metal to a car.

The first step to having an idea is having the material to work with. (Pure perception). Second, is critically analyzing the material and concocting a design.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't think it is arrogant to realize and accept the fact and consequences of one being objectively exceptional from the norm.

:huh:

I think it's important to interject here that 'exceptional' doesn't always have the same connotations it does in academia, as in 'exceptional performance', meaning 'much better than anything else'.

An exception is something that's different, that stands out for whatever reason. Not necessarily because of being better.

To me, it's a fact that N's do stand out as different. I don't think Chick is claiming that we're better. But being in a statistical minority does make something exceptional.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:huh: I would think that an N with the ability to link things and such would find it easier to adapt to an S society than vice versa... I can go along with the conversations of my S friends completely easily, but they don't have as much patience when I do something like argue that God is merely an idea which is inherently needed by human society to keep people balanced in a manner in which they can interact the best, or some other idea of that sort...

Ns may complain that it's horrible to try and fit in with Ss, but try to think about it flipped and see what you come up with ;) It's easier to adapt to the society that you grew up in (SJ in my case) than it would be for them to adapt to a society that was the opposite or something (for instance an NTP society)

just a thought there... I think that Ns would have it easier- especially ENxPs- with the whole adapting game. I mean, you pull out the stops and let your full random glory shine and people will stare at you oddly, but if you throw a laugh in with it they'll usually laugh along and cut you some slack, deciding that you're joking and they just didn't get it... Adapting isn't that hard though- slightly stifling, but isn't that what polite society is about anyways? :(

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think that's the point though whatever - that we have to adapt. That we're the ones who have to make all the effort. And it can get tiring, and lonesome. Regardless of how good I am at it :D

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
yeah, but I've always thought that society was a boring place where EVERYONE has to adapt to be able to fit in to the perfect 50s style mold that's placed out there...

I'll admit that my SJ friends have a lot less trouble, but the SPs I know aren't all that fond of having to use the right napkin and avoid making sex jokes in public either :)

then again, I perhaps went too far and now find adapting to different situations to be a second nature by now :huh:

Filtering the way that you think for the benefit of everyone's understanding has become a lot easier with years of practice, for instance... I realize that things that I see a relationship between aren't necissarily clearly related to other people by now, and have developed a tendency to just say something like "well, I see them as being related" when questioned on my aparent random answers to things, and I've gotten pretty used to finding the person who's drunk enough to listen to me ramble on as I wish at parties by now (or used to showing enough cleavage to get away with rambling on as I wish at parties :devil:)

Having to adapt sucks, but there's really nothing that can be done about it, so I guess I'm just happy that I CAN adapt as well as I'm able to! :)

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Dana said:
Perhaps introverted judgment is the true culprit.

Actually, I think however strongly one's introverted faculties are will (more likely) determine how much they will struggle with fitting in.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Me too whatever, I agree with your point. I'm just extending it by saying that by the same token, it can get confusing when you have to be that way all the time in order to prosper, so that occasionally there's a sense of hollowness, of losing a sense of who one really is. Who would I be if I wasn't adapting to you/him/her?

The person I find I am when I take a solitary retreat for a few days/week is invariably a person who disapproves or dislikes or emerges feeling resentful sometimes, or that things must change, when I get back, as I've adapted too far and accommodated others too much, at the cost of my own inner self.

It would just be nice to have some people around who you can be yourself with, to a greater extent. Rather than people around whom you have to lose your sense of self, to get on with. Fortunately I do have such people in my life :)

And one of them's an S!

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Check out that other thread I linked to a few posts ago - you'll see there a lot of N's talking about how it feels to be an N, and relating to each other very well. I've never come across a Sensor who understands or has experienced feeling that way. I think that's what Chick's complaint rests on really... the sense of isolation that comes from the 'otherness' that I nevertheless don't think she (or I) would want to give up.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey, I can take it seriously in content while still having a bit of fun with the title, right?

*rainbow graphic*

Are you trying to say this thread is... uh, gay??

No, I agree, I was just pointing to this specific post only. When read objectively, it is clear, concise, and makes total sense and I don't disagree with it.

I just wanted to see the vibe that other NF's got from this specific post, to see if it was similar to mine when viewed in a subjective sensitive feely way. Arrogance is also too harsh of a word, but then again pride means almost the same yet seems nicer, so we will go with a prideful tone.

There's a twinge of arrogance simply in that he speaks as if he were an authority (near the end), rather than merely suggesting a way to view things or explaining how it works.

Other than that? BW's been far more arrogant elsewhere, I actually thought this was a pretty nifty post the first time I read it. :)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm trying to say it's an afterschool special about differences and diversity!