• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Se and Si?

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Se deals with the sensory world the way Ne deals with ideas. Like Ne, which is constantly ruffling through possibilities and ideas in a random-like manner, Se is floating through the sensory world randomly. Both lack a focus until something interests them, at which point the object is siezed upon and looked at in closer detail.

For example, me, my sister and my brother would play this game on long car trips - all of us looking out the window to see what animals we could spot. Common ones like sheep and cows got 1 or 2 points each, and uncommon ones (say you spotted a giraffe wandering down the street ;)) would be worth more. Me and my brother (INFP) were usually pretty even, but my sister (ESFP) would be scoring (i.e. having to concentrate on a piece of paper and add up the scores we were calling out) as well as play the game, and she'd beat the pants off us, every single time. It's Se's master domain.

Si is pretty much a mystery to me. Apparently I'll learn how to use it one day.

Ishida

MBTI Type
INTJ
Si seems like a useful skill on a practical level. I think I can use it, because of my good memory, but your description doesn't quite line up. I remember things that aren't meaningful to others, but are to me.. And when I remember past events, I do it with a "what could've happened" or "what I'll do next time", planning things like that ahead of time. I do use some of that Se though. What I truly envy is Ti though.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
It is interesting reading about Si, because for my type, INTJ, it is ranked in the 8th position. It should therefor be the weakest of all my functions.

I have to admit that I am really bad with recognizing faces and even worse with recognizing voices on the telephone. I am bad with remembering names and dates as well. I am bad with remembering how to spell words.

I am also bad at noticing things like noticing when someone has lost weight or changed their hair unless it is a very extreme change.

Concepts, ideas, how to instructions I am good at remembering.

I have very good reading comphension. If I read something I will generally be able to remember he general idea, but not usually exact words.

I think this is an N v. S thing. Ni is good at remembering concepts and ideas and Si is good at remembering details.

I can remember exact words for quotes sometimes, but only if the specific quote had some kind of meaning to me (something that appealed to my Ni or Fi).

Ilah

Ishida

MBTI Type
INTJ
I have very good reading comphension. If I read something I will generally be able to remember he general idea, but not usually exact words.
Same here, like for instance the bible. If someone says something from it or relates an idea similar or exact I'll catch on, but to quote a verse or cite it is something I cannot do. (I'm getting better though. >_>

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Based on Dana's reference to Berens/Nardi's defintions, I will give some working examples per their booklet on cognitive processes:

#1) A person at a pet store looking to buy a puppy:

Se: The person is beside themselves with joy in playing with the puppies. They enjoy just being with them, petting them, making them jump up.

Si: The person is reminded of how a particular puppy reminded them of the one they had as a child, which could lead to recall of remembering being at home and being young again.

#2) Aftermath of an earthquake:

Se: Noticing books walking off the shelf. Later reading the newspaper and the facts of what occurred then obtaining more and more information on earthquakes.

Si: Recognizing the earthquake was different from the last one.

Se is more similar to Ne in that they are both simultaneous in nature and involve perception of many things at once, that leads to random activity as the outer world is scanned for additional information. Se is also similar to Te in that they both are used when there is a focus on facts and an empirical approach.

Si is more similar to Ni because they both are focused on one thing at a time or a behavior of a sequential order (beginning, middle and end). Si is also similar to Fi due to the mutual association with whole body feeling tone response.

The difference between the two sensing functions is as equally different than the other functions that have differing attitudes (E/I) and having more in common with other functions of similar attitude.

redacted

Si: The person is reminded of how a particular puppy reminded them of the one they had as a child, which could lead to recall of remembering being at home and being young again.

just to clarify: the reference to the past is typically NOT conscious. so the Si user in the first example wouldn't necessarily know why they like the new dog. on the surface, it might look exactly the same as Se would look.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
just to clarify: the reference to the past is typically NOT conscious. so the Si user in the first example wouldn't necessarily know why they like the new dog. on the surface, it might look exactly the same as Se would look.

That sounds a bit more like inferior Si (especially because I know I do that, sometimes I only figure out later what memory I've reacted to).