• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What mbti type are you, and how would you prefer to learn?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Maybe you're an ENFP with a good Te.

Answering the question of the topic, I'm a INTP and I learn better by myself. Unlike you, I tend to get bored when I have to listen to long explanations from someone else, or a video. Prefer to read it, analyze it and see how logical principles are connected.

Yeah I suck at that. I like someone to explain the logic of a situation to me. I don't like to figure things out for me, I like to implement the strategies of others that have already figured something out for me.

Edit: Also please explain to me how you figure out how logical principles connect with one another.

G

garbage

On my own terms, first and foremost.

If I 'get' a lecture in 20 minutes, I don't want to stick around for an hour and a half. I'll look into the essence of what I don't immediately understand through books, the Web, or other people.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ESTJ, and entirely hands-on/kinesthetic/"learning by doing".

In school, lectures didn't help me, but what did help me was the process of writing notes down, and the process of reading the notes aloud to myself after the fact.

Edit: Supplementary researching also helps me a lot, as does talking to others about what I'm learning. Explaining it to people. I used to try and explain concepts to my parents in order to prepare for tests -- making extremely general flashcards and having them go through them with me. I guess that also counts as learning by doing?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ENFP. Extremely visual learner, and a little kinesthetic. I prefer starting with abstract/conceptual, and I really enjoy trying things myself hands-on after having seen some visual demonstrations and conceptual information first. I am so poor at auditory learning that I have wondered if I have a disorder in that area. I spend lectures taking notes and making my own visual charts, graphs, and other depictions of the information or else I retain very, very little.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I'm INFP, and I relate/connect everything to things I like and personal experiences I have had. I also learn very well through discussions/lectures, as I have a good auditory memory and love to share ideas/opinions with others. Plus, the effort of shaping my thoughts into coherent sentences helps tighten things up in my brain.

Conceptually, I start with the big picture, and then I work down to the details from there. Once I know the basic idea, I can remember the details because they all fit into the larger framework.

deleted
This is yet another reason why I am doubting my ENTP typing. To tell you the truth, I'm actually pretty damn good at problem solving. However, I feel like I don't solve problems like a Ti user, at all. No, instead I tend to solve problems like a Te user. My problem solving method is as follows: 1) Generate as many ideas as I can as to how I can solve a problem. 2) Do hours of research online on the problem that I am trying to solve. 3) Consult experts in the field of the problem that I am trying to solve and ask them what they would do. 4) Come up with a detailed step-by-step action plan for solving the problem. 4) Implement the plan.

Do you see what I mean? This sounds like a Te way to solve a problem, not a Ti way. It seems like Ti users just sit and ponder the solution to a problem in their own heads, and don't tend to put much emphasis on what experts in the field have to say. Isn't this right?

Since Ti is interested in the workings of the cold truth, it makes sense for it to also take time to consult experts and do research, especially if you're an extrovert after all, you're expected to gain others' opinions on things and not just come to the answers yourself. It isn't Ti that implies you're an ENTP, it's being an ENTP that implies Ti. As long as you put more of your time into thinking about these questions, the logical likelihoods and frameworks than you do simply coming to conclusions and using them for something, and you're pretty sure you're a thinking type, then that embodies the philosophy of Ti. It is Open Perception + Thinking. Maybe you're not sure if you're the Thinking part, well, who says ENFPs do things the way you described? For all I know they ponder questions without even doing real research and looking at the facts.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
ESTJ, and entirely hands-on/kinesthetic/"learning by doing".

In school, lectures didn't help me, but what did help me was the process of writing notes down, and the process of reading the notes aloud to myself after the fact.

Edit: Supplementary researching also helps me a lot, as does talking to others about what I'm learning. Explaining it to people. I used to try and explain concepts to my parents in order to prepare for tests -- making extremely general flashcards and having them go through them with me. I guess that also counts as learning by doing?

Yeah I'm very good at auditory learning as well.

ENFP. Extremely visual learner, and a little kinesthetic. I prefer starting with abstract/conceptual, and I really enjoy trying things myself hands-on after having seen some visual demonstrations and conceptual information first. I am so poor at auditory learning that I have wondered if I have a disorder in that area. I spend lectures taking notes and making my own visual charts, graphs, and other depictions of the information or else I retain very, very little.

Yeah I'm not that great at visual learning.

As long as you put more of your time into thinking about these questions, the logical likelihoods and frameworks than you do simply coming to conclusions and using them for something, and you're pretty sure you're a thinking type, then ENTP is likely. And who says ENFPs do things the way you described? For all I know they ponder questions without even doing real research and looking at the facts. It's not Ti that implies you're an ENTP, it's being an ENTP that implies Ti. I don't see why Ti wouldn't consult experts and research, as long as it takes time to put it in perspective for itself.

I don't know. Maybe.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My problem solving method is as follows: 1) Generate as many ideas as I can as to how I can solve a problem. 2) Do hours of research online on the problem that I am trying to solve. 3) Consult experts in the field of the problem that I am trying to solve and ask them what they would do. 4) Come up with a detailed step-by-step action plan for solving the problem. 4) Implement the plan.

That's interesting. I always contrasted myself with my INTP father because he is more methodical and precise, where I'm pretty straight-to-business and tend to experiment within reason. I think my ISTP brother falls in the middle. He's definitely methodical and precise too, but he also tends to be fairly practical whereas dad is heavy on the idealistic constraints. I'm all about just getting something to work and then letting the TPs figure out how to make it work best. :)

I think my steps would be something like:

1. Attempt to solve the problem intuitively on my own by tinkering, figure out main snare/s
2. Research subject starting with snare and expanding to holistic understanding
3. Apply understanding to tinkering
4. Repeat until solved.
* If no luck after reasonable attempts, or under time pressure, find someone better-versed in matter

polikujm said:
As long as you put more of your time into thinking about these questions, the logical likelihoods and frameworks than you do simply coming to conclusions and using them for something, and you're pretty sure you're a thinking type, then ENTP is likely.

I agree with this.

(Who says ENFPs do things the way you described? For all I know they ponder questions without even doing real research and looking at the facts.)

My guess is we tend to draw a lot from our impressions of the world to start with and do a lot of research that's not necessarily geared towards T-style logic or S-style facts but more about complex relationships, trends, patterns, influences, developments, shifts, concepts, and so on. I find that generally if my N understanding of a subject is good, I can approach it from a T angle and derive a close-enough answer, even if my cognitive process behind getting that answer would aggravate a real T. From what I've experienced of ENFPs, most of us like to get the answer that works well and allows us to move on with what we're interested in, but we do tend to carry a certain amount of pride in our knowledge and capability that increases our desire for logical accuracy even if logical processing isn't our first interest or priority most of the time.

Personally I always used to be one of those "I want to do it myself!" kids all the time, but with age I've mellowed and in recent years I've really been appreciating letting the more logical people in my life handle the logical problems while I specialize in dealing with emotional people-situations, which is where I natively excel. Not that I don't still feel like proving my worth in the logical realm sometimes - it's just almost always for some kind of people-related or aesthetic purpose. I rarely delve into logic for the sake of it. I imagine that's fairly consistent across ENFPdom.

Andmed

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Yeah I suck at that. I like someone to explain the logic of a situation to me. I don't like to figure things out for me, I like to implement the strategies of others that have already figured something out for me.

Edit: Also please explain to me how you figure out how logical principles connect with one another.

Huh, that's a Ti thing. In other words, I try to see how ideas fit the theory, and how they fit with the knowledge I had previously purchased. Rather than accepting what others have prepared, I try to use my own mind to produce knowledge. It is a true idiosyncratic logic, different from Te. Ti is like a large theoretical edifice, a map of the logical structure of the world and the laws that govern it. (The fact that I explain you this in such detail gives you a good idea of ​​what the Ti in my head)

This also involves some Ne, which is used to reconcile the apparently contradictory positions and collect various ideas to synthesize in one great general idea.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm a INFP

I'm a visual learner, and struggle to take something in if purely verbally presented. Novelty can help keep more interest and help some concepts stick in my head better. I need to know the "whys" more than the "whats". I can't stand learning arbitrary concepts, facts or methods. I like understanding how all the parts fit together either through systemising, categorisation or use of approximations such as metaphor. I need to see the patterns, form the connections, differentiate from similar concepts, reduce things down to fundamentals and frame the information in the right way. I like to figure things out for myself, but honestly wonder if I do that as often as I do just because people can't give me the information I need off the bat. I need to get the feel for the process, to understand the way it flows, even if that information is only to get myself in the right headspace.

For example, I recently started work as a copywriter for a engineering company and had to write about a turbine-compressor unit. The description of the compressor and how it worked confused me (it wasn't explained well), until I figured out it was basically like a jet engine on an aeroplane (which is something I do understand in concept). Seeing it followed the same basic principles meant I could mentally approximate the way it functioned and the information could 'click' in my head. Of course, this didn't have any direct influence on what I wrote about it - it just helped me to be able to write about it. It sounds like a ridiculously round about way of doing things, but it would have been a lot faster and easier way of comprehending it than sitting me down and going through the details of how a compressor works.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah I'm very good at auditory learning as well.
It's not really auditory, though. It's the process of saying it that helps, not listening to myself say it. (Closest I can come to auditory learning is having a really good ear for music/pitch, but I'm not sure if that counts.)

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=20044]chubber[/MENTION] how is it that I learn again...spacial-visual? Is that what it's called? lol

Edit: Nvm I found it. ENtJ -- visual-spacial learner.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
INTJ

Ideally a combination of big-picture visual models, such as timelines and flowcharts, hands-on experience to apply them to, and a knowledgeable tutor to clarify misunderstandings. I've never undertaken learning something with all three, but I imagine I would achieve mastery very quickly.

I also imagine a cleverly constructed educational video game with learning statistics and real-time feedback/suggestions would be excellent.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION]

That's interesting. I always contrasted myself with my INTP father because he is more methodical and precise, where I'm pretty straight-to-business and tend to experiment within reason. I think my ISTP brother falls in the middle. He's definitely methodical and precise too, but he also tends to be fairly practical whereas dad is heavy on the idealistic constraints. I'm all about just getting something to work and then letting the TPs figure out how to make it work best.

I think my steps would be something like:

1. Attempt to solve the problem intuitively on my own by tinkering, figure out main snare/s
2. Research subject starting with snare and expanding to holistic understanding
3. Apply understanding to tinkering
4. Repeat until solved.
* If no luck after reasonable attempts, or under time pressure, find someone better-versed in matter

Yeah my process is similar. I also like to tinker with things as well.

My guess is we tend to draw a lot from our impressions of the world to start with and do a lot of research that's not necessarily geared towards T-style logic or S-style facts but more about complex relationships, trends, patterns, influences, developments, shifts, concepts, and so on. I find that generally if my N understanding of a subject is good, I can approach it from a T angle and derive a close-enough answer, even if my cognitive process behind getting that answer would aggravate a real T. From what I've experienced of ENFPs, most of us like to get the answer that works well and allows us to move on with what we're interested in, but we do tend to carry a certain amount of pride in our knowledge and capability that increases our desire for logical accuracy even if logical processing isn't our first interest or priority most of the time.

Personally I always used to be one of those "I want to do it myself!" kids all the time, but with age I've mellowed and in recent years I've really been appreciating letting the more logical people in my life handle the logical problems while I specialize in dealing with emotional people-situations, which is where I natively excel. Not that I don't still feel like proving my worth in the logical realm sometimes - it's just almost always for some kind of people-related or aesthetic purpose. I rarely delve into logic for the sake of it. I imagine that's fairly consistent across ENFPdom.

I don't really think that I care about the logic behind the problem solving, and all I tend to care about is whether it works as well. However, often times I will be curious as to how something works though.

Huh, that's a Ti thing. In other words, I try to see how ideas fit the theory, and how they fit with the knowledge I had previously purchased. Rather than accepting what others have prepared, I try to use my own mind to produce knowledge. It is a true idiosyncratic logic, different from Te. Ti is like a large theoretical edifice, a map of the logical structure of the world and the laws that govern it. (The fact that I explain you this in such detail gives you a good idea of ​​what the Ti in my head)

This also involves some Ne, which is used to reconcile the apparently contradictory positions and collect various ideas to synthesize in one great general idea.

Yeah, this is what I keep getting from Ti users: they care more about figuring out how something works then actually making it work in the first place. This makes no sense to me.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
It's not really auditory, though. It's the process of saying it that helps, not listening to myself say it. (Closest I can come to auditory learning is having a really good ear for music/pitch, but I'm not sure if that counts.)

Yeah, I guess what you have is what as known as a "social learning style". This is what I have as well.

INTJ

Ideally a combination of big-picture visual models, such as timelines and flowcharts, hands-on experience to apply them to, and a knowledgeable tutor to clarify misunderstandings. I've never undertaken learning something with all three, but I imagine I would achieve mastery very quickly.

I also imagine a cleverly constructed educational video game with learning statistics and real-time feedback/suggestions would be excellent.

Yeah charts and graphs don't do much for me.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENFP. I like to learn by demo/copy-cat. Brief videos, looking-over-the-shoulder, then jumping in to try it out works best for me. Rapid trial and error...I'm good at figuring out where I screwed up if I do make a mistake and seldom repeat it.

School learning by writing notes on the material (lectures are 1000% useless...I retain very little spoken word) and it makes an imprint. If I write it down, I won't forget it so I almost never look at my notes again. Oddly enough, it doesn't work if I type it out...:shrug:

Step-by-step instructions are completely useless. I can't make sense of it when told and find it a waste of time when written out.

N

NPcomplete

INfP

I learn best when I'm figuring out things by myself. Ideally I'll have visuals (concept maps for the win) and eventually reinforce everything by discussing the topic with someone (Socratic-style discussions also for the win).

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
I prefer to figure things out by myself. That way, I can understand more. Attending a lecture delivered by well known experts is not my favorite learning style. I prefer to read their books when it comes to well known recognized experts. Sometimes I feel practicing is the correct way of learning and only after undergoing some practice, I can learn something new.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Label me whatever you will. I prefer to learn in whatever way makes or keeps the contents interesting. As long as Im into it I dont really care.