• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What are some key differences between ISFP and ISFJ?

lunareclipze

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm having trouble deciding if I'm an ISFP/ISFJ. I relate to both descriptions fairly well.. what are some key differences you may see between an ISFJ and ISFP?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In my limited experience, ISFJ is much more quietly decisive, perhaps more articulate and are more logical. ISFPs seem more loving and have a childlike playfulness quality to them. ISFPs are more expressive with their eyes and may come across as more emotional.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=19737]lunareclipze[/MENTION] The ISFP I know very well is all about fun, and they will sit literally ALL day playing video games. I think they're WAY more relaxed than any Si dom. Relaxed in a sense that they're not outwardly worrying about the future like Si does.

ISFP's can become very complacent. They sort of get a spot and stay there. (I know a couple of ISFP's that comes home every day and sit in the same spot. They will make you move out of their spot lol....)

The ISFJ's I know very well is much more talkative. He needs to be around people just as much as he needs to be alone.

The ISFP does not need to be around people like the aux Fe would. The ISFP longs to have companionship (even if they don't talk that much,) especially with people from his childhood (Fi +Se.)

Really this is choosing the difference between the combo of Si+Fe vs Fi+Se.

They are very different imo. An ISFP might care about things like an ISFJ, but you would never know it.

The ISFJ openly, and enthusiastically speaks to people. Almost in a flamboyant manner (for lack of a better word.) The ISFP is much more laid back and "go with the flow." Which give the impression they don't care.

The ISFJ will catalog bodily experiences. They know what their first taste of ice cream was like (in ridiculous amount of detail.) And not only do they remember their first, but they remember every ice cream after that as well. Constantly comparing that context with the old context.

An ISFP is more likely to hold on to sensory details like jokes. Or what they think is important. They are not always the best with details though. They can reference a line from family guy...and they can tell you what the best feeling fabric is....but don't ask them to store tedious facts. It's not usually their thing (maybe unless they're a 2...)

And also ...ISFP's can be ok at follow through....but not like someone with Si.

Si will painstakingly follow through with things (can be very perfectionistic.) Where and ISFP will say "good enough." (not really perfectionistic at all, unless it's their trade, maybe.)

I know some of this is based on behaviors...so some things may be off...but it gives you the gist of what Si looks like at least.

Last edited:

lunareclipze

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=19737]lunareclipze[/MENTION] The ISFP I know very well is all about fun, and they will sit literally ALL day playing video games. I think they're WAY more relaxed than any Si dom. Relaxed in a sense that they're not outwardly worrying about the future like Si does. ISFP's can become very complacent. They sort of get a spot and stay there. (I know a couple of ISFP's that comes home every day and sit in the same spot. They will make you move out of their spot lol....)

The ISFJ's I know very well is much more talkative. He needs to be around people just as much as he needs to be alone. The ISFP does not need to be around people like the aux Fe would. The ISFP longs to have companionship (even if they don't talk that much,) especially with people from his childhood (Fi +Se.)

They are very different imo. An ISFP might care about things like an ISFJ, but you would never know it. The ISFJ openly, and enthusiastically speaks to people. Almost in a flamboyant manner (for lack of a better word.) The ISFP is much more laid back and "go with the flow." Which give the impression they don't care.

The ISFJ will catalog bodily experiences. They know what their first taste of ice cream was like (in ridiculous amount of detail.) And not only do they remember their first, but they remember every ice cream after that as well. Constantly comparing that context with the old context.

An ISFP is more likely to hold on to sensory details like jokes. Or what they think is important. They are not always the best with details though. They can reference a line from family guy...and they can tell you what the best feeling fabric is....but don't ask them to store tedious facts. It's not usually their thing (maybe unless they're a 2...)

Si will painstakingly follow through with things (can be very perfectionistic.) Where and ISFP will say "good enough." (not really at all perfectionistic, unless it's their trade.)

I know this is based on behaviors...so some things may be off...but it gives you the gist of what Si looks like at least.

Thanks! I was just confused because a few people have told me from posting those questionnaire things for an opinion on my type that I emit an "ISFJ," vibe but going by the information you and highlander have given me I'm definitely an ISFP.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks! I was just confused because a few people have told me from posting those questionnaire things for an opinion on my type that I emit an "ISFJ," vibe but going by the information you and highlander have given me I'm definitely an ISFP.

The only catch is that if you are a 9.

Some ISFJ 9's can look like ISFP's.

But it still comes down to the difference between Si and Fi.

Ozones

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
ISFJs are selfless
ISFPs are selfish

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The only catch is that if you are a 9.

Some ISFJ 9's can look like ISFP's.

But it still comes down to the difference between Si and Fi.

This is true. All of what you said before still holds though, excellent descriptions. ISFJ is more outwardly uptight even if they're 9. 9s will just be quieter about it and try to keep it at bay. There's still stress there though. ISFP is more laid back and more moody.

S

Stansmith

Me:

-Moody
-somewhat aloof/difficult to read by default
-Withholding
-Expressions of joy/appreciation are subtle
-Somewhat messy
-Impractical
-Relatively impulsive (nothing extreme)

My ISFJ mother:

-Emotionally transparent
-Affectionate
-Unassuming
-Helpful
-Consistent moods
-Talkative around close family, constantly initiating small talk
-Has a greater need to be around/keep in contact with people
-Practical
-Inquisitive

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Me:
-Impractical

Really? :huh: How so?

For the record I think both ISFP's and ISFJ's are very practical.

-Talkative around close family, constantly initiating small talk
This!! So much THIS!

This is true. All of what you said before still holds though, excellent descriptions. ISFJ is more outwardly uptight even if they're 9. 9s will just be quieter about it and try to keep it at bay. There's still stress there though. ISFP is more laid back and more moody.

Yea, the ISFJ 9's still show their anxiety.

But I think the moodiness depends on the ISFP.

The 2's I know are not very moody.

The 9's aren't either.

I think if they're a 4 maybe :thinking:

S

Stansmith

[MENTION=14015]Urarienev[/MENTION]

Impractical in the sense that I seem to be more concerned with pursuing intangibles like personal fulfillment than she is (not that she has much of a choice..but she still seems fairly contented), often at the expense of areas of my life that I consider to be of lesser importance within my subjective framework. Otherwise, yeah, I'm fairly 'earthy'.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=14015]Urarienev[/MENTION]

Impractical in the sense that I seem to be more concerned with pursuing intangibles like personal fulfillment than she is (not that she has much of a choice..but she still seems fairly contented), often at the expense of areas of my life that I consider to be of lesser importance within my subjective framework. Otherwise, yeah, I'm fairly 'earthy'.

Hmm. I guess I could see what you mean. Although an ISFP's execution is still very practical.

Your comparisons are seriously on point!

deleted
It sounds to me like you need to decide if you're a P or a J, that's the only way to know for sure. So, do you process things for a while and wait till you find the right answer to make a decision, or do you make the best decision you can given the situation and then make sure it works out smoothly?

- Ps spend more time forecasting their options until the best decision is found. Because their goal is to understand things, they'd rather be open to change their mind and step back from the situation. Oftentimes thinking helps them avoid things they don't need to do, shows what they can work around and lets them find better ideas.

- Js make a decision first and then spend their time steering it to success. Because their goal is something physical and real, they won't readily change their mind about it, but they will be very ready to change and fix the situation in order to make it happen. Their decision is the best not because they really thought about it, but because they make sure it is through implementation.

Extra technical info:

As a P you might question, well how does a J make good decisions that quickly let alone live with them? You might not realize this, but Ps actually have a more difficult time tackling situations and turning bad ones around, because they can be very perfectionistic or idealistic about their expectations, they try to avoid rushing their decisions. Js will more likely show their perfectionism by tackling these situations and turning these things around, because acting and deciding is what they know and do best. Firstly, both Ps and Js are dedicated to making great decisions. Js, like Ps, make decisions using the information available to their introverted functions, Ni or Si, because all Introverted functions deal with old, the already-known information (as Jung writes, Introversion is the "conservative" mindset, and Extroversion is the "adaptive" one.) There are preset conditions and specifications to Ni and Si that need to be met in order to designate the information as valid, therefore to a P type, Js' information-base might come across as biased and narrow-minded. However because of this narrower focus, Js can better focus on the reality at hand and tackle all kinds of things through their Extroverted Judgment that a P might struggle with because their judgment standards are set too high (because their judgment is not part of this "adaptive" mindset, but the "conservative" one, says Jung.) In this regard, Ps definitely make better strategists because they can't rely as easily on their Extroverted Judgment to make good tactical moves. They must strategize possibilities using their Extroverted Perceiving function--to understand the world, not change it. For a P it's not so easy just to go with the flow of making daily decisions. They will break down either mentally or emotionally and resort to backing away from the situation, starting over to think of all better options. For Ps it's wiser to think before hand and consider all possibilities and routes before getting initiated.

S

Stansmith

As an added note, I by no means consider the traits I've listed for me and my mother to be the rule for our respective types - there are plenty of ISFPs who are more openly warm than I am, just as there are plenty of ISFJs who are relatively reserved in expression.

lunareclipze

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It sounds to me like you need to decide if you're a P or a J, that's the only way to know for sure. So, do you process things for a while and wait till you find the right answer to make a decision, or do you make the best decision you can given the situation and then make sure it works out smoothly?

- Ps spend more time forecasting their options until the best decision is found. Because their goal is to understand things, they'd rather be open to change their mind and step back from the situation. Oftentimes thinking helps them avoid things they don't need to do, shows what they can work around and lets them find better ideas.

- Js make a decision first and then spend their time steering it to success. Because their goal is something physical and real, they won't readily change their mind about it, but they will be very ready to change and fix the situation in order to make it happen. Their decision is the best not because they really thought about it, but because they make sure it is through implementation.

Extra technical info:

As a P you might question, well how does a J make good decisions that quickly let alone live with them? You might not realize this, but Ps actually have a more difficult time tackling situations and turning bad ones around, because they can be very perfectionistic or idealistic about their expectations, they try to avoid rushing their decisions. Js will more likely show their perfectionism by tackling these situations and turning these things around, because acting and deciding is what they know and do best. Firstly, both Ps and Js are dedicated to making great decisions. Js, like Ps, make decisions using the information available to their introverted functions, Ni or Si, because all Introverted functions deal with old, the already-known information (as Jung writes, Introversion is the "conservative" mindset, and Extroversion is the "adaptive" one.) There are preset conditions and specifications to Ni and Si that need to be met in order to designate the information as valid, therefore to a P type, Js' information-base might come across as biased and narrow-minded. However because of this narrower focus, Js can better focus on the reality at hand and tackle all kinds of things through their Extroverted Judgment that a P might struggle with because their judgment standards are set too high (because their judgment is not part of this "adaptive" mindset, but the "conservative" one, says Jung.) In this regard, Ps definitely make better strategists because they can't rely as easily on their Extroverted Judgment to make good tactical moves. They must strategize possibilities using their Extroverted Perceiving function--to understand the world, not change it. For a P it's not so easy just to go with the flow of making daily decisions. They will break down either mentally or emotionally and resort to backing away from the situation, starting over to think of all better options. For Ps it's wiser to think before hand and consider all possibilities and routes before getting initiated.

Thanks, this definitely makes me think I'm a P..

lunareclipze

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=19737]lunareclipze[/MENTION] The ISFP I know very well is all about fun, and they will sit literally ALL day playing video games. I think they're WAY more relaxed than any Si dom. Relaxed in a sense that they're not outwardly worrying about the future like Si does.

ISFP's can become very complacent. They sort of get a spot and stay there. (I know a couple of ISFP's that comes home every day and sit in the same spot. They will make you move out of their spot lol....)

The ISFJ's I know very well is much more talkative. He needs to be around people just as much as he needs to be alone.

The ISFP does not need to be around people like the aux Fe would. The ISFP longs to have companionship (even if they don't talk that much,) especially with people from his childhood (Fi +Se.)

They are very different imo. An ISFP might care about things like an ISFJ, but you would never know it.

The ISFJ openly, and enthusiastically speaks to people. Almost in a flamboyant manner (for lack of a better word.) The ISFP is much more laid back and "go with the flow." Which give the impression they don't care.

Si will painstakingly follow through with things (can be very perfectionistic.) Where and ISFP will say "good enough." (not really perfectionistic at all, unless it's their trade, maybe.)

I know some of this is based on behaviors...so some things may be off...but it gives you the gist of what Si looks like at least.

I literally relate to everything you said about your ISFP friend .. thanks for the answers guys. I'm really assured now that I'm an ISFP

Doomkid

ISFJ have everything under control in their lives, even they're spontaneous side is planned to come out (think betty white, marge simpson etc)
ISFP are very neat too but are waay more spontaneous make their on style, less formal clothes etc (think avril lavigne)