• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Incompatibility of Myers Briggs Types

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you think some types are incompatible with each other?

See Link Here

á´…eparted

passages
I remember a few years back on PersonalityNation (when it still existed) someone had posted a few journal publications that studied exactly this. I wish I could find it, but I can't seem to. Either way it compared the ease of conversation, number of words said, and overall feeling each pair had (each type combination was set), and there was a pattern between which types matched best with others.

That said, I am not entirely sure I agree with the pairings the article you linked proposed. It makes sense on paper, but I wonder if it works well in practice. That and not everyone is going always fit in with it enough. With me anyway, the two main types I get irritated by the most do not fit these patterns.

Alea_iacta_est

INTJ - ESFJ

possibly ESTP - INFP

(Just realized that these two pairs are conflicters in Socionics, interesting)

G

garbage

Chart-the-Course least compatible with Get-thing-Going
/ in other words: INFJ, ISTJ, INTJ, ISTP least compatible with ENFP, ESFJ, ENTP, ESFP
Uh oh

Well, this whole idea seems akin to opposing Socionics quadras and classical temperaments also being kinda opposed to one another.

There are also some stats out there relating type-type to relationship satisfaction. Somewhere..

G

Ginkgo

Socionics compatibility behaves according to fluidity of communication. However, some things are better left not understood in the case that two individuals are compatible but are out for each others' throats. Just something to consider. Point being that sometimes, willingness to work on a relationship > inherent compatibility constraints.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The article lays out a few theories:

The Interaction Styles incompatibility theory

"Chart-the-Course least compatible with Get-thing-Going
/ in other words: INFJ, ISTJ, INTJ, ISTP least compatible with ENFP, ESFJ, ENTP, ESFP

In-Charge least compatible with Behind-the-Scenes
/ in other words: ENFJ, ENTJ, ESTJ, ESTP least compatible with INFP, INTP, ISFJ, ISFP"

McAlpine's “Opposing Personality”

"This model is based on Beebe’s 8 functions theory and it states that incompatibility happens between the types with the same functions but opposite attitudes."

ENTJ least compatible with: INTP

ENTP least compatible with: INTJ

ENFJ least compatible with: INFP

ENFP least compatible with: INFJ

ISTJ least compatible with: ESTP

McAlpine's “Dynamic Opposites”

"The preferred cognitive process of one type is the least-conscious process of the other, thus creating the opportunity for a lot of tension and misunderstanding."

ENFP least compatible with: ESTP

ISTJ least compatible with: INFJ

ISTP least compatible with: INFP

ISFJ least compatible with: INTJ

ISFP least compatible with: INTP

INTJ least compatible with: ISFJ

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I tend to get along best with other Behind the Scenes people, followed by Get Things Going and worst with In Charge.

I don't recall ever having problems with ISFPs though. Sometimes with ESFPs. Maybe its just their dominant Se which is so weak of a function for me.

Overall I have the most trouble with ESTJs. A couple of exceptions though. @EJCC is is an awesome, healthy ESTJ.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ISFP least compatible with: INTP

I'm married to an ISFP. Failure to properly communicate is the biggest hurdle. Otherwise, they're quite similar in some ways. Both types crave independence and loathe feeling controlled and manipulated by others. Both types take pride or satisfaction from learning to do things themselves, although the ISFP will be a little more hands-on and is going to want to get right to the task at hand, whereas the INTP might be slightly more cautious or spend more time planning out said task and learning all of the details and concepts related to the task.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hm... I dunno. I feel like I get along with most types equally -- or at least it depends on the individual. The only reason why the "In Charge" vs. "Behind the Scenes" rivalry rang true for me, was that I always used to drive my INTP dad crazy, growing up. Any time I showed too much of the "In-Charge" thing without, in his view, doing enough preparatory calculation, it would really rub him the wrong way! I wonder if that's why ESTJs bother you, [MENTION=10653]Such Irony[/MENTION]? Too quick to act, without enough deliberation? And/or (another thing that bothered my dad:) asking for more deliberative input only to not take that advice and go a different direction?

Permabanned
Uh oh

Well, this whole idea seems akin to opposing Socionics quadras and classical temperaments also being kinda opposed to one another.

There are also some stats out there relating type-type to relationship satisfaction. Somewhere..

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hm... I dunno. I feel like I get along with most types equally -- or at least it depends on the individual. The only reason why the "In Charge" vs. "Behind the Scenes" rivalry rang true for me, was that I always used to drive my INTP dad crazy, growing up. Any time I showed too much of the "In-Charge" thing without, in his view, doing enough preparatory calculation, it would really rub him the wrong way! I wonder if that's why ESTJs bother you, [MENTION=10653]Such Irony[/MENTION]? Too quick to act, without enough deliberation?

Yes, that and being too bossy and insistent on being right and not open to additional data or POVs. Too stuck on tradition- this is the way we've always done it. The less healthy ones anyway.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hm... I dunno. I feel like I get along with most types equally -- or at least it depends on the individual. The only reason why the "In Charge" vs. "Behind the Scenes" rivalry rang true for me, was that I always used to drive my INTP dad crazy, growing up. Any time I showed too much of the "In-Charge" thing without, in his view, doing enough preparatory calculation, it would really rub him the wrong way! I wonder if that's why ESTJs bother you, [MENTION=10653]Such Irony[/MENTION]? Too quick to act, without enough deliberation? And/or (another thing that bothered my dad:) asking for more deliberative input only to not take that advice and go a different direction?

That sounds almost like my five year old son. I might have a little ESTJ on my hands.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can think of several times when I've butted heads with my wife over how we handle things. We had an old PS3 we were going to refurbish. I wanted to take the time to do extensive research before opening it up and also to make sure we had all of the proper tools. She was getting impatient and wanted to go ahead and open it up, learn as she went, and handle any unforeseen problems as they came up. Turns out we didn't have the proper tools and materials, but we had a half-opened PS3 vulnerably sitting on out kitchen table. That was an instance where I was right, although there have been plenty of times where I'm wrong and my style of handling situations has resulted in problems or disasters.

Jaguar

Yes, that and being too bossy and insistent on being right and not open to additional data or POVs. Too stuck on tradition- this is the way we've always done it. The less healthy ones anyway.

Wait until you're older and have to deal with that nonsense in the medical establishment.

ESTJ doctor: I'm the doctor, you're the patient. I should know more than you.
Jag: Apparently not.

G

garbage

I've gotta please the fat man.

I did a quick Google. Most of the information that's out there is about temperament, or directly about type. There's probably some way to match this against Interaction Styles, but :shrug:

Here's this thing:
SJ x SJ 79%
NF x NF 73%
SP x NT 73%
SJ x SP 71%
NT x NF 65%
NF x NT 64%
SP x SJ 63%
SJ x NT 62%
SP x SP 59%
NT x NT 59%
SJ x NF 58%
NT x SP 54%
SP x NF 54%
NT x SJ 52%
NF x SP 51%
NF x SJ 46%
The original source is (apparently) Tieger, P D and Barron-Tieger, B B 2000. Just Your Type. New York: Little Brown and Company.

G

garbage

Wait until you're older and have to deal with that nonsense in the medical establishment.

ESTJ doctor: I'm the doctor, you're the patient. I should know more than you.
Jag: Apparently not.
I've dealt with a pretty wide range of medical professionals, what with being a sick cookie and all, and I'm glad to say that I haven't run across this sort of crap.

I always ask about their assessments, diagnoses, and treatments--mostly just out of curiosity. If a doctor refuses to (or, worse, can't) explain an assessment to me, then I'll likely refuse to see him again.

My nurse wife knows her stuff. I throw any medical question at her, and she's able to answer it. So, thankfully I have that at home, too :)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not sure whether it's just "health", or also inability to think critically -- or is that health as well? -- but yeah, that makes sense.
That sounds almost like my five year old son. I might have a little ESTJ on my hands.
:burns:

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
LOL, I entered that website telling myself 'Let me guess, ISFJ or ENTP?' and I was right! So yes, in my case this tends to be true. With ISFJs I just rarely feel a click, it's more some sort of mutual apathy or sometimes even dislike. ENTPs on the other hand are people who I usually admire for some reason, but in the meantime they seem to be the ones who dislike me the most.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I think INTP might be a special case with In Charge types, because of the clash of the "Choleric" in both types.
This is why I like so much to correspond both Interaction Styles and Keirsey temperaments to the classic temperaments; because it creates a sort of "common variable" to understand the two levels of interaction through.

If Behind the Scenes is Phlegmatic or Supine, the Phlegmatic with his calm cool disposition is said to be the best one at handling the Choleric, while the Supine naturally looks up to someone to lead and make decisions.
But when Supine or Phlegmatic are mixed with Choleric in the same person, it creates a conflict, because part of him is inclined to yield, but the other part wants to be independent and even compete and fight for power, (especially knowing they have that more vulnerable part of themselves that needs to be "protected"). I certainly have recognized this in myself, and it's one reason I liked that temperament system so much.

From what I have seen, INFP and ISFP do not have quite the aversion to In Charge types I or @SuchIrony or [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] viz his dad report, but rather tend to look up to them. After awhile they'll be put off by being dominated, but initially, they'll be drawn to the person doing it. (Also, from the cognitive angle, as Fi dom's, they'll have an "anima" dynamic [see below] with Te dom's).
ISFJ, I have not really seen, but would likely be inbetween INTP and IxFP, having some more independence than the latter, but are also "cooperative" if the In Charge type has legitimate authority and doesn't force them into unknown areas.

As far as ISFP's, what I see happening (basically, here on these type forums), is not so much about clashing or not getting along, but that we basically "miss" or go right past each other. If one pushes their functional focus on the other, then they'll get annoyed, or just tune the other person completely out.

Another dynamic that site let out was what Type Logic calls "Anima", and Beebe, the "inverse relationship". The type with all four dichotomies opposite, and the four functions in reverse (where Dynamic Opposite or Enigma have all eight reversed).
These types when younger clash it seems more than even the dynamic opposite. Again, those two types simply miss each other altogether (and thus not even have much to do with each other to clash over), where with the Inverse, there is a drawing, leading to a love-hate relationship. (The "hate" side seeming more conscious, at least earlier on).

The type INTP's have complained about the most is ESFJ. In my own case, growing up in a heavy "super-directive" TJ family, a "soft", responsive SFJ looked so nice, but then I saw the total opposition in the way we see and do things.

However, the "anima" dynamic means that they should ideally grow together, as they develop their tertiary and especially inferior (at first, they surface a lot, yet are still "primitive", and will probably be even more annoying to the other person preferring the functions! Like when a certain person goes from being super-critical to my ideas with Ti, to being super silly with Ne, and I don't feel like being bothered at that point. We call it "frio-calienté". Then I become emotional, and dwell in the past!)

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
But when Supine or Phlegmatic are mixed with Choleric in the same person, it creates a conflict, because part of him is inclined to yield, but the other part wants to be independent and even compete and fight for power, (especially knowing they have that more vulnerable part of themselves that needs to be "protected"). I certainly have recognized this in myself, and it's one reason I liked that temperament system so much.

I can relate to that. Except I don't care so much about power over others but I have a strong need to be independent and not be controlled by others.