• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is everyone an INFJ nowadays?

G

garbage

also people assign certain types to other people because they think that type is a bad type and they think the person is a bad person.
That's an even worse sort of misattribution.

Oh.. and putting them in unhealthy loops, too. "Y'know, you're just a freakin' ENTJ in a Te-Se loop. That's a bad thing, see?"

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
That's an even worse sort of misattribution.

Oh.. and putting them in unhealthy loops, too. "Y'know, you're just a freakin' ENTJ in a Te-Se loop. That's a bad thing, see?"

exactly. so really we need to make a thread that is, you're probably a shitty insecure person and here's why:

the resident

MBTI Type
esfj
Enneagram
3w8
Most people confuse Si and Ni anyways.

Si perception is inherently relativistic. Si-doms are great at taking multiple perspectives. Ni perception is intractable because it is inherently egocentric and wedded to its assumptions.

Internet stupidity, however, has made Si into something about cleaning surfaces.

L

LadyLazarus

Si perception is inherently relativistic. Si-doms are great at taking multiple perspectives. Ni perception is intractable because it is inherently egocentric and wedded to its assumptions.

Internet stupidity, however, has made Si into something about cleaning surfaces.

Bolded: So true.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
what is the misconception js are neat freaks and their closets are color coded?

Cygnus

Eh, not at all. Because both Ni and Si are Pi functions, they both do what they do in the same way.
The disconnect is the kind of information with which they deal. [MENTION=14915]Owfin[/MENTION] proposed Si deals with models vs. Ni systems.

In physical context, Si deals with what is done.
In physical context, Ni deals with how it is done.

In processes, Si deals with how it is done (in terms of relationship to physical.)
In processes, Ni deals with what is done (the step-by-step process).

If you need to deal with how something is done, you'll need more processing space in your Pi function to understand it, which is why Si is physical and Ni is sequential. Both can deal with how it is done and both can deal with what is done, they just do them on different planes.

the resident

MBTI Type
esfj
Enneagram
3w8
Eh, not at all. Because both Ni and Si are Pi functions, they both do what they do in the same way.
The disconnect is the kind of information with which they deal. [MENTION=14915]Owfin[/MENTION] proposed Si deals with models vs. Ni systems.

In physical context, Si deals with what is done.
In physical context, Ni deals with how it is done.

In processes, Si deals with how it is done (in terms of relationship to physical.)
In processes, Ni deals with what is done (the step-by-step process).

If you need to deal with how something is done, you'll need more processing space in your Pi function to understand it, which is why Si is physical and Ni is sequential. Both can deal with how it is done and both can deal with what is done, they just do them on different planes.

Arbitrary distinctions. You're just adding to the misinformation.

G

Ginkgo

I'm mulling around a theory that iNtuition is a unique form of projection. The potential contention depends on whether the listener believes in a transcendent reality or not.

Either way, I think both types are capable of maintaining multiple perspectives. Though, inevitably, they are confined to one perspective, which will be demonized on the basis that something about it is disagreeable.

Cygnus

I'm mulling around a theory that iNtuition is a unique form of projection. The potential contention depends on whether the listener believes in a transcendent reality or not.

Either way, I think both types are capable of maintaining multiple perspectives. Though, inevitably, they are confined to one perspective, which will be demonized on the basis that something about it is disagreeable.

That's any introverted function in general talking. Other than that, functions are just mirrors of each other that process fundamentally different information, but in similar ways depending on if they are J/P and I/E functions.

the resident

MBTI Type
esfj
Enneagram
3w8
Though, inevitably, they are confined to one perspective, which will be demonized on the basis that something about it is disagreeable.

My point had everything to do with the flexibility of perception.

G

Ginkgo

That's any introverted function in general talking. Other than that, functions are just mirrors of each other that process fundamentally different information, but in similar ways depending on if they are J/P and I/E functions.

Functions don't dictate belief systems.

My point had everything to do with the flexibility of perception.

To honestly agree to disagree is the greatest demonstration of intellectual flexibility anyone could possibly muster.

Werebudgie

I want my account deleted
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
When I joined this site, the most notable thing for me about it was that the people I saw and/or interacted with who identified as INFJ were recognizably INFJ to me. What I mean by that is, people who, to my eyes, speak (write) clearly from a lived experience of having these cognitive processes in this order: Ni-Fe-Ti-Se.

I have seen other online contexts in which this is not the case - in which there does seem to be a lot of mis-typing as INFJ going on. In those contexts, there seems to be a fair amount of discussion focused on personality trait discussion among self-identified INFJs: "I'm [insert postive/special personality trait here], do you other INFJs relate?" followed by a discussion that has little or no relationship with actual INFJ cognitive processes, or gross misunderstanding of these processes by people who type as INFJ.

So, an upside to TypeC, for me, has so far been that the INFJ participants who have crossed my radar here do seem recognizably INFJ to me. The downside to this site, for me, is that instead of INFJ-exotification, this site seems to have a fair amount of acceptable INFJ-bashing. I don't think INFJ is exoticized here, I think it's more on the side of disrespected. These are IMO two sides of the same coin somehow, both of which aren't useful for dialogue and interaction. That said, I think I actually prefer a context in which we're disrespected/bashed over one in which we're exotified, if I have to choose. The reason for this is that I actually learn useful stuff from reading posts by other real INFJs rather than by people who don't have this function stack but want to be INFJ due to some assumed exotic personality traits.

Now, the above is based on what has crossed my radar in my participation here plus the poking around I've done in some of the archives. I've only been here for a month or so and there's a lot of info (discussions and participants) I haven't seen even with the archive poking.

Also, I haven't read through all the comments here, but given what I've read so far I can say that I tend to agree with [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] that the special snowflake thing would be related to enneagram 4 and not MBTI type.

eta: [MENTION=5494]Amargith[/MENTION], the background info you shared via rep was interesting, would you be willing to post it? (ok if not, just that I think it's interesting)

the resident

MBTI Type
esfj
Enneagram
3w8
To honestly agree to disagree is the greatest demonstration of intellectual flexibility anyone could possibly muster.

It's an expression of tolerance, not of one's capacity to be flexible.

Cygnus

Functions don't dictate belief systems.

Functions do not. However, whether a function is introverted or extroverted determines how much inertia a person would put into them.

An Fe-user will alter his personal values if they put the people he cares for in jeopardy.
An Fi-user will behave in ways unacceptable to others if his belief system demands it.

A Te-user will change his reasoning based on the facts.
A Ti-user will stay convinced he is right based on his own logic.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When I joined this site, the most notable thing for me about it was that the people I saw and/or interacted with who identified as INFJ were recognizably INFJ to me. What I mean by that is, people who, to my eyes, speak (write) clearly from a lived experience of having these cognitive processes in this order: Ni-Fe-Ti-Se.

I have seen other online contexts in which this is not the case - in which there does seem to be a lot of mis-typing as INFJ going on. In those contexts, there seems to be a fair amount of discussion focused on personality trait discussion among self-identified INFJs: "I'm [insert postive/special personality trait here], do you other INFJs relate?" followed by a discussion that has little or no relationship with actual INFJ cognitive processes, or gross misunderstanding of these processes by people who type as INFJ.

So, an upside to TypeC, for me, has so far been that the INFJ participants who have crossed my radar here do seem recognizably INFJ to me. The downside to this site, for me, is that instead of INFJ-exotification, this site seems to have a fair amount of acceptable INFJ-bashing. I don't think INFJ is exoticized here, I think it's more on the side of disrespected. These are IMO two sides of the same coin somehow, both of which aren't useful for dialogue and interaction. That said, I think I actually prefer a context in which we're disrespected/bashed over one in which we're exotified, if I have to choose. The reason for this is that I actually learn useful stuff from reading posts by other real INFJs rather than by people who don't have this function stack but want to be INFJ due to some assumed exotic personality traits.

Now, the above is based on what has crossed my radar in my participation here plus the poking around I've done in some of the archives. I've only been here for a month or so and there's a lot of info (discussions and participants) I haven't seen even with the archive poking.

Also, I haven't read through all the comments here, but given what I've read so far I can say that I tend to agree with [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] that the special snowflake thing would be related to enneagram 4 and not MBTI type.

eta: [MENTION=5494]Amargith[/MENTION], the background info you shared via rep was interesting, would you be willing to post it? (ok if not, just that I think it's interesting)

I already hinted at it before in this thread when I urged people to look up the rather recent INFJ/INFP thread in the archives, but sure:

I stated that there used to be a time here on the forum that INFJs were....well, put on a pedestal, and INFPs were treated as emo-kids not to be taken seriously. Or at least, there was a trend to do so. Not so long ago, that pendulum came swinging the other way.

For that matter, in general this forum seems to go through periods where one or another type is bashed in particular. ENFJs and Fe-doms in general get a thorough bashing regularly, and as stated, INFPs got the brunt of it for a long time, and ENFPs have had their sporadic moments as well. So have NTs, and of course sensors in general tend to get more of a rough treatment around here due to the lack of representation and frustration existing between N and S users.

At this particular time, it just seems like it is INFJs turn :shrug:

I'd love to put a stop to this trend, but during the last 5 years, I haven't seen an option to that end just yet.