• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introverted intuition

yeghor

I'm not sure if this pertains to INFJs, but as an Ni dominant, I routinely plan out conversations that might never happen or timelines that may never happen in my head just in case they do (part of the irrationale of Ni?). I often will find myself preparing myself mentally for debate by addressing probable questions from the party that I would be debating with in order to strike down their point and deliver my own well. I find myself planning for no reason, almost like entertainment sometimes, to see what would happen in a sequence of events and what would be the probable outcome of something.

I think I have a tendency to do that too...I also keep rehashing\replaying how I should've acted in a given failed\unpleasant interaction in the past...I keep examining it thoroughly in my head in an obsessive manner...

It's the first one for me I guess...

The description is too vague but I'd say it's the first one for me again...

yeghor

...FWIW or not, I strongly suspect that there's something going on with these kinds of unsolicited and seemingly persistent (multiple) other-typing moves from yeghor that - despite appearances -has very little to do with actual use of typology as a tool for understanding of self and others, and a lot more to do with non-MBTI-related psychological stuff (though I'm not sure the exact specifics).

It's not like that...I am trying to make a correlation between MBTI and psychology concepts such as ego, id, superego etc...Both are important topics for me...

[MENTION=20531]yeghor[/MENTION]: From my perspective, you persistently display serious misunderstanding of Jungian cognitive functions at the most basic of levels, and your view on Ni is no exception. Overall, as I see it, it's not that your theories are 100% wrong - it's that in my view, your theories are basically made up of a semi-structured conceptual word-salad composed of little tiny bits of accurate information tossed up with a whole huge mess of distorted nonsense. I've held back from saying this largely because I'm not willing to expend the time and energy to pick apart all (or even a specific chunk) of this distorted nonsense to illustrate what I mean. At the same time, from my vantage point, this situation seems glaringly obvious in what you've written and linked to in our sub-discussion in this thread alone, and having it on display is enough for me. And to be clear, this comment is not an invitation for any further discussion.

@the bolded part, held back for how long?

Alea_iacta_est

I think I have a tendency to do that too...I also keep rehashing\replaying how I should've acted in a given failed\unpleasant interaction in the past...I keep examining it thoroughly in my head in an obsessive manner...

It's the first one for me I guess...

The description is too vague but I'd say it's the first one for me again...

Well for the first question you got dynamic, but for the second you got static. Static-Dynamic is a Reinen Dichotomy from Socionics that is indicative of Je in the Ego (Dynamic) or Ji in the Ego (Static). (By the way, I find the second question worldly more accurate than the first, there are many interpretations for the first question)

Statics perceive the world as specific events that happen in one instant and lead to another. A static, when on a long drive, assuming he or she is not daydreaming the entire time, would remember specific points chronologically that lead to the destination. "I remember when we turned left at this one intersection with a barn, then we ended up at another where we turned right away from some fences..."

Dynamics perceive the world as a continuous flow of events that is unbroken, where each piece transitions smoothly into the next. A dynamic, when on a long drive, assuming he or she is not daydreaming the entire time, would remember the general trip all the way from point A to point B, but without any specifics, such as the snap-shot focus of the above static's interpretation. They would remember the road primarily and exactly how it weaved rather than specific landmarks and snap-shots.

Static types in Socionics include all of the introverted rational types (Ixxj) and the extroverted irrational types (Exxp), while Dynamic types comprise all of the extroverted rational types (Exxj) and the introverted irrational types (Ixxp). Which, in MBTI due to the J/P switch, means that all Perceiving types in MBTI are Statics and all Judging types in MBTI are Dynamics.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting. Yeghor first suggested I was an ISTP in a PM dialogue, and when I didn't get on board with him in private, ended up bringing it out into this public discussion.

I, too, don't relate to how he describes Ni, and I also don't recognize Ni in his attempted descriptions of that cognitive function, self-descriptions of Ni, and how he describes it. And I've been hesitant to get into this next bit because MBTI is just a tool for me, not some sort of street cred thing. But seeing your comment, I'll go there. Thing is, my own MBTI typing comes from several different yet converging data sources - a structure that would be called "triangulation" in qualitative research terms and is more solid than only one source or only one type of source. The sources for my INFJ designation include: being professionally typed as INFJ some years ago; having the INFJ cognitive function stack map to documented written data from my life experiences in pretty persistent and rigorous ways; many self-tests of both type and cognitive function yielding INFJ; the day to day fact that understanding of the cognitive function stack of INFJ and INFP has served as a amazingly practical and effective tool in my relationship with my INFP partner; some additional obvious practical/relational usefulness from attending to INFJ/ENTP cognitive functions for understanding between me and an ENTP friend of mine; and various online discussions with other Ni-doms and INFJs that showed convergences (with variations due to human diversity and TJ /FJ for Ni doms) between our experiences of Ni and/or Ni-Fe-Ti-Se (some of which actually appear in this thread and others of which appear elsewhere on this site).

eta: However, I do use ellipses sometimes, for real. So ... you know, do with that what you may ... :)

FWIW or not, I strongly suspect that there's something going on with these kinds of unsolicited and seemingly persistent (multiple) other-typing moves from yeghor that - despite appearances -has very little to do with actual use of typology as a tool for understanding of self and others, and a lot more to do with non-MBTI-related psychological stuff (though I'm not sure the exact specifics).

and [MENTION=20531]yeghor[/MENTION]: From my perspective, you persistently display serious misunderstanding of Jungian cognitive functions at the most basic of levels, and your view on Ni is no exception. Overall, as I see it, it's not that your theories are 100% wrong - it's that in my view, your theories are basically made up of a semi-structured conceptual word-salad composed of little tiny bits of accurate information tossed up with a whole huge mess of distorted nonsense. I've held back from saying this largely because I'm not willing to expend the time and energy to pick apart all (or even a specific chunk) of this distorted nonsense to illustrate what I mean. At the same time, from my vantage point, this situation seems glaringly obvious in what you've written and linked to in our sub-discussion in this thread alone, and having it on display is enough for me. And to be clear, this comment is not an invitation for any further discussion.

to me it's not a big deal. we're all in a tricky matrix of understanding ourselves in relationship to others. i'd rather try to be helpful than harmful, altho i know that i get caught up in my own expectations and identifications quite easily too. i'm not trying to out anybody--i've know i've sent people, over time, messages aimed at retyping them, sometimes probably helpful, and sometimes probably to maintain the integrity of my own mental system. sometimes probably just because of my own lack of boundaries at recognizing how to let things go, so i don't feel like their presence is inherently exhausting me if it is not what i want it to be.

typology is crazy complicated, and when we really throw our awareness into the complexity of our minds and the divergent paths we take that specialize us, sometimes in ways that aren't even really available as a conscious choice but are part of some innate responsiveness that somehow unfolds in the way that it does, it's difficult to feel really grounded in that, especially if you bring a mental openness, sensitivity, and raw anxious mental speed kind of energy to the table (like head types, in my estimation, are wont to do). and when you realize that these working in combination have an inherently political, evaluative, biasing effect, there's something unsettling to work through with that.

i mean, i remember streams of posts where i realized i was Fe and not Fi, and that i didn't know how to have integrity or authenticity, and that i couldn't be a creative person, and so on and so forth. as silly as that is to me now, it took a long path to get there. and there are still insecurities that typology helps me at times recognize. sometimes, this is great. sometimes, this is overwhelming.

Werebudgie

I want my account deleted
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I'm not sure if this pertains to INFJs, but as an Ni dominant, I routinely plan out conversations that might never happen or timelines that may never happen in my head just in case they do (part of the irrationale of Ni?). I often will find myself preparing myself mentally for debate by addressing probable questions from the party that I would be debating with in order to strike down their point and deliver my own well. I find myself planning for no reason, almost like entertainment sometimes, to see what would happen in a sequence of events and what would be the probable outcome of something.

I do a version of this a lot - mostly inside myself, but sometimes out loud if I'm alone. (so far no one has walked in on me doing this, thankfully).

But unlike you, it's not about debate for me, there's usually some possible reason even if remote, and my focus is not about making points but about imagined dialogue where there will be possible stress and/or differences. For me it doesn't feel like entertainment at all. To give a sort of archtypical example for me, I do this a lot when I'm job-searching in relation to specific questions I think I might face in actual or possible interviews, even before I know if I'll even have an interview. I don't know if this has anything to do with Ni or not.

Speaking of Ni, I've been meaning to tell you that your description of Ni in another comment as the most irrational irrational function (in contrast to Te as the most rational rational function) struck me as really useful somehow. I don't know why/what, exactly, but that really resonated for me as something to keep in the back of my mind. And a a less intense layer, it did get me curious about how the INTJs navigate that NiTe dom-aux combo from that angle of irrational/rational. (and please know that I'm in pre-analytical mode on this right now, meaning I feel this as interesting but don't really have a conscious or analytical grasp on why or what at this point).

I have a question to you, (since this is probably going to be [MENTION=20789]Werebudgie[/MENTION] or [MENTION=20531]yeghor[/MENTION] reading this)

In terms of your own perspective, would you say that:

The world around you is constantly changing, while you, as a person, remain constant or unwavering?
or
The world around you is constant and unwavering, but you, as a person, are constantly changing?

Neither of these options make sense to me as a reflection of my own perspective.

As a "self", I don't feel like I remain constant or unwavering. Part of this may be a contrast: I see what having an unwavering self looks like in my INFP and compared to her, I'm constantly adapting and shifting at depths that she finds unthinkable.

And also I don't feel the world around me as constant and unwavering either - in very practical terms, things keep changing and changing and CHANGING in my/our external life and this has been really seriously intense in the last several years. We're constantly in transition in where we live, what we're each doing for work, how we relate to each other at the most basic of levels. I find this quite stressful. I don't want life to be at a standstill (I always like to be actively learning and if I'm not I get frustrated), but I would really like it if at the level of the external world basics, I could take a breath already and relax at some basic level and not have to be vigilant to the external world changes and what's going to happen next. My partner is much more able to go with the flow of these changes and handle a constantly changing situation at the most basic levels of our lives - she seems to almost expect or invite them, in fact (at least from my perspective). I'm much more prone to get stressed out by them.

But. I'm not really sure how much of this is cognitive functions and how much our respective enneagrams - I'm a 6 and she's a 9. The INFJ/6 vs. INFP/9 differences can be quite ... intense. I need structure in my external world in that Pi/Je dynamic you and I discussed earlier. And when I don't get that external-world structure, the 6 in me can, under some circumstances, meld that situation with a need for/lack of security. And the security thing has come up a fair amount in the last however many years in very real ways related to our basic material survival and the existence and structure of our relationship.

I have no idea if I'm answering your question here though. Am I? If not, is there another way you could ask this to get at whatever you're trying to get at?

and Secondly,

Do you perceive reality as a:

Series of snap-shots, photographs that contain specific events that are arranged in chronological order. (Ex. Do you remember certain paths because of specific points on the route, such as a gas station or something, and if those specific points disappeared, you'd be lost?)
or
A single, continuous, flow of events, as an unbroken chain where the general occurrence is preserved. (Ex. Do you remember certain paths as one, undivided route, not by landmarks but because of the general pattern?)

Again, neither of these options makes sense to me as a reflection of how I perceive reality. Again, I'll try to respond, but don't know if I'm actually answering your question:

I don't perceive reality as snap-shots/stills because I do perceive reality as in motion.

I also don't perceive reality as an unbroken chain with no landmarks.

How I perceive reality in relation to my human/visible life: I've used the metaphor of dreams to try to describe it. Like: dreams - their internal logics and the specific dream-world's needs - feel very very real and important when I'm in them and I respond in action to that stuff when in the dream. But when I wake up, those same logics and dreamworld needs aren't pressing anymore. From this perspective, I feel my human life as a non-linear series of dreams from which I wake up into the next one (the non-linear is important in that it doesn't feel like a linear path, but more like layered realities outside of linear time). Anyway, I have the memories and lived experience of having been intensely engaged in the specifics of past contexts, but it has a quality to it that resonates like how I feel my dreams.

And as for Ni specifically: I perceive what I call my Ni landscape at several different layers. In one of them, landmarks might be relevant in the present as I look around and move in the landscape. Not as still snapshots at all - instead, very vivid and multi-dimensional and in-motion and real to me (though clearly not the same layer of reality as conveyed by my five senses). It's like standing in a forest (for example) and looking around and seeing intersecting rivers and trees and ground and dimensions of up and down and over etc that orients me to where I am and what's around me. I don't actually know if this is what you mean by "landmarks," though. I will say, in case it has any relevance, that time isn't linear in this space, but is instead just another coordinate that designates place.

Again, I don't know if this answers your question, and if not, could you re-phrase?

Alea_iacta_est

I do a version of this a lot - mostly inside myself, but sometimes out loud if I'm alone. (so far no one has walked in on me doing this, thankfully).

But unlike you, it's not about debate for me, there's usually some possible reason even if remote, and my focus is not about making points but about imagined dialogue where there will be possible stress and/or differences. For me it doesn't feel like entertainment at all. To give a sort of archtypical example for me, I do this a lot when I'm job-searching in relation to specific questions I think I might face in actual or possible interviews, even before I know if I'll even have an interview. I don't know if this has anything to do with Ni or not.

Speaking of Ni, I've been meaning to tell you that your description of Ni in another comment as the most irrational irrational function (in contrast to Te as the most rational rational function) struck me as really useful somehow. I don't know why/what, exactly, but that really resonated for me as something to keep in the back of my mind. And a a less intense layer, it did get me curious about how the INTJs navigate that NiTe dom-aux combo from that angle of irrational/rational. (and please know that I'm in pre-analytical mode on this right now, meaning I feel this as interesting but don't really have a conscious or analytical grasp on why or what at this point).

Neither of these options make sense to me as a reflection of my own perspective.

As a "self", I don't feel like I remain constant or unwavering. Part of this may be a contrast: I see what having an unwavering self looks like in my INFP and compared to her, I'm constantly adapting and shifting at depths that she finds unthinkable.

And also I don't feel the world around me as constant and unwavering either - in very practical terms, things keep changing and changing and CHANGING in my/our external life and this has been really seriously intense in the last several years. We're constantly in transition in where we live, what we're each doing for work, how we relate to each other at the most basic of levels. I find this quite stressful. I don't want life to be at a standstill (I always like to be actively learning and if I'm not I get frustrated), but I would really like it if at the level of the external world basics, I could take a breath already and relax at some basic level and not have to be vigilant to the external world changes and what's going to happen next. My partner is much more able to go with the flow of these changes and handle a constantly changing situation at the most basic levels of our lives - she seems to almost expect or invite them, in fact (at least from my perspective). I'm much more prone to get stressed out by them.

But. I'm not really sure how much of this is cognitive functions and how much our respective enneagrams - I'm a 6 and she's a 9. The INFJ/6 vs. INFP/9 differences can be quite ... intense. I need structure in my external world in that Pi/Je dynamic you and I discussed earlier. And when I don't get that external-world structure, the 6 in me can, under some circumstances, meld that situation with a need for/lack of security. And the security thing has come up a fair amount in the last however many years in very real ways related to our basic material survival and the existence and structure of our relationship.

I have no idea if I'm answering your question here though. Am I? If not, is there another way you could ask this to get at whatever you're trying to get at?

Again, neither of these options makes sense to me as a reflection of how I perceive reality. Again, I'll try to respond, but don't know if I'm actually answering your question:

I don't perceive reality as snap-shots/stills because I do perceive reality as in motion.

I also don't perceive reality as an unbroken chain with no landmarks.

How I perceive reality in relation to my human/visible life: I've used the metaphor of dreams to try to describe it. Like: dreams - their internal logics and the specific dream-world's needs - feel very very real and important when I'm in them and I respond in action to that stuff when in the dream. But when I wake up, those same logics and dreamworld needs aren't pressing anymore. From this perspective, I feel my human life as a non-linear series of dreams from which I wake up into the next one (the non-linear is important in that it doesn't feel like a linear path, but more like layered realities outside of linear time). Anyway, I have the memories and lived experience of having been intensely engaged in the specifics of past contexts, but it has a quality to it that resonates like how I feel my dreams.

And as for Ni specifically: I perceive what I call my Ni landscape at several different layers. In one of them, landmarks might be relevant in the present as I look around and move in the landscape. Not as still snapshots at all - instead, very vivid and multi-dimensional and in-motion and real to me (though clearly not the same layer of reality as conveyed by my five senses). It's like standing in a forest (for example) and looking around and seeing intersecting rivers and trees and ground and dimensions of up and down and over etc that orients me to where I am and what's around me. I don't actually know if this is what you mean by "landmarks," though. I will say, in case it has any relevance, that time isn't linear in this space, but is instead just another coordinate that designates place.

Again, I don't know if this answers your question, and if not, could you re-phrase?

Perhaps try looking at my driving example I mentioned 2 posts up.

Your first answer indicates a dynamic type (though it is less accurate than the second question). This means that you think that you don't really change much as a person, yet at the same time you think the world around you is changing constantly. Dynamics see the world as something that is never constant and something that is always trying to leave them, perceived to be constants, behind.

Dynamic Types relevant to this discussion include: INFJ, ENFJ
Static Types relevant to this discussion include: INFP, ENFP

Werebudgie

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Your first answer indicates a dynamic type (though it is less accurate than the second question). This means that you think that you don't really change much as a person, yet at the same time you think the world around you is changing constantly. Dynamics see the world as something that is never constant and something that is always trying to leave them, perceived to be constants, behind.

If this is about the external and visible world, there's something resonating for me in the bolded part, but it's really not ever how I would put it directly (I don't think the world is trying to do anything to me, for example, I'm not that important in the bigger picture of things). But anyway, there's some resonance. *sigh* I guess I really don't like it being that way and keep hoping I can find a way for it to stop being like that and thinking I just need to find the right combination of circumstances and it won't feel that way. I do feel a persistent discomfort of trying to "keep up" with the external/vvisible world around me and feeling like organically I have a slower pace of moving through that external world (especially obvious when compared with than my much quicker-moving INFP).

Perhaps try looking at my driving example I mentioned 2 posts up.

Okay ...

Statics perceive the world as specific events that happen in one instant and lead to another. A static, when on a long drive, assuming he or she is not daydreaming the entire time, would remember specific points chronologically that lead to the destination. "I remember when we turned left at this one intersection with a barn, then we ended up at another where we turned right away from some fences..."

If I take this as a literal example of actually being on a drive: I am terrible at remembering these kinds of details. It's why I can easily get lost and why I print out step by step directions for things and take them with me in the car until I've driven somewhere enough times that I can do it on autopilot. I also persistently have the experience of going somewhere many times with my partner when she's driving and I have no idea how to get there if I were driving or trying to tell someone else how to get there.

But I don't know if what you're saying is supposed to map to literal experience with driving or if it's more of a metaphor.

Dynamics perceive the world as a continuous flow of events that is unbroken, where each piece transitions smoothly into the next. A dynamic, when on a long drive, assuming he or she is not daydreaming the entire time, would remember the general trip all the way from point A to point B, but without any specifics, such as the snap-shot focus of the above static's interpretation. They would remember the road primarily and exactly how it weaved rather than specific landmarks and snap-shots.

I tend to daydream or focus on something other than how to get there unless I force myself, so I don't know about this. I can sometimes have vivid almost symbolic (or associational) flashes of certain moments and places on a drive but it's not linear/chronological at all - so for example, I might remember seeing the river associated with the feel of part of the discussion we were having. But it's also unlikely that I would remember "primarily and exactly how [a road] weaved." At best, I would remember vague impressions of how it weaved, nothing exact.

Again, not sure if the example is literal or metaphorical. Have I answer that question yet?

Static types in Socionics include all of the introverted rational types (Ixxj) and the extroverted irrational types (Exxp), while Dynamic types comprise all of the extroverted rational types (Exxj) and the introverted irrational types (Ixxp). Which, in MBTI due to the J/P switch, means that all Perceiving types in MBTI are Statics and all Judging types in MBTI are Dynamics.

I must admit, I'm not a fan of socionics. While it may be useful for others, so far, it hasn't been hugely useful to me for my own understanding. (Though it does have an interesting take on Fe that might be useful to me somehow).

Dynamic Types relevant to this discussion include: INFJ, ENFJ
Static Types relevant to this discussion include: INFP, ENFP

Are the J/P letters here ^ ^ from MBTI?

Werebudgie

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5

Also - could you provide the same kind of description for the static type that you did here ^ ^ for the dynamic type? I want to see which of the two resonates for my partner. Your approach to the dynamic one here is far clearer to me than the previous question was and if I could get the same kind of description for static, I'd be able to get her take on it.

Alea_iacta_est

Also - could you provide the same kind of description for the static type that you did here ^ ^ for the dynamic type? I want to see which of the two resonates for my partner. Your approach to the dynamic one here is far clearer to me than the previous question was and if I could get the same kind of description for static, I'd be able to get her take on it.

Static types perceive reality as a bit of a slideshow (metaphorically, its how they first perceive things). Whereas the Dynamic type (such as myself) would recognize the pattern of the road and recall the drive through its winding as a pure generalization, the Static type's memory of the drive would be jagged, with specific instances.

(Stolen this metaphor from a Socionics site)
Take for example, a camera. A camera has two options to record data, by recording it with video or by photographing it. If you take twenty or so photographs during a car ride, you can line them up in a row and chronologically organize them (We were here first, then we were here next, then we were here after that...) and each photograph will be highly detailed and defined with specific information. If you were to record the trip with video, however, you would have the entire trip in one sitting, but lose the detailed, defined, and specific information for a general experience of the whole trip rather than certain parts of it. This is Static vs Dynamic.

Werebudgie

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Yes. If I ever write all four letters as capitals, it is MBTI JCF. If I ever write 3 letters as capitals and the j or p as lowercase, then it is Socionics.

ENTP - MBTI
ENTp - Socionics

Okay. I've seen that elsewhere too. Thanks for the clarification.

To add to my answer to the driving question. My answer assumed the question could be taken literally.

As a possible (counter?) example: I'm much better at remembering the details of interactions/conversations than is my INFP. She gets really irritated at me when I do this. She tends to remember our interactions more generally (and when we disagree on what happened, and there's actual actual documentation like email exchanges, I'm far more likely to have been be accurate in my memory of events and sequences of events than she is. Which drives her nuts as well. I tend to second-guess my memories no matter what, so documentation is really useful for me). This is quite likely a skill I developed as a qualitative researcher, for use in fieldwork situations where I have to jot brief notes and then flesh them out later in fieldnotes. When I do qual interviews, though, I can't stand having to keep track of the details as they unfold and much prefer to record the discussion so I can focus on and move with the flow of the discussion. I get distracted from what's going on if I try to focus on the details over the flow as we move forward.

I have no idea if any of this is relevant or if so, how, though.

Werebudgie

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Oy, Alea_iacta_est, this is too interesting, especially since I'm trying to grasp this and don't have it yet. I didn't expect to spend so much time on the site this afternoon but this is really interesting. I blame you :)

Static types perceive reality as a bit of a slideshow (metaphorically, its how they first perceive things). Whereas the Dynamic type (such as myself) would recognize the pattern of the road and recall the drive through its winding as a pure generalization, the Static type's memory of the drive would be jagged, with specific instances.

(Stolen this metaphor from a Socionics site)
Take for example, a camera. A camera has two options to record data, by recording it with video or by photographing it. If you take twenty or so photographs during a car ride, you can line them up in a row and chronologically organize them (We were here first, then we were here next, then we were here after that...) and each photograph will be highly detailed and defined with specific information. If you were to record the trip with video, however, you would have the entire trip in one sitting, but lose the detailed, defined, and specific information for a general experience of the whole trip rather than certain parts of it. This is Static vs Dynamic.

Okay. I'm interested/curious to see what my INFP says about these two things.

My first thought for myself is that the photograph approach would drive me nuts and feel stressful somehow.

My second thought is to challenge myself on that reaction, because I could see that if someone is willing to do that work and think that way, it would be easier to find data if there was ever a question (because I would be able to sort through pictures more quickly than sorting through video footage).

Third thought is "But that (picture) data would be limited in its usefulness because it's chopped up and out of context, so I don't know."

My fourth thought is remembering an ISFP I knew (a fellow semi-techie, we geeked out together on a regular basis) telling me there's a way to code/tag video in the back end of Flash. That idea was really interesting to me (she was going to teach me but we never got around to it). The neat thing about data coding like that - assuming it's like qual text data coding tools - is that it can include as much context on either side as you select, so it's a more contextualized chunk instead of a a-contextual/static thin slice that to me doesn't have much meaning by itself.

Fifth thought is: if I sorted through the photos or the video via tags/codes, my organic interest/focus would not be on the chronological sequence, it would be on other ways the data could be arranged in non-chronological patterns. And the video would be much better for that than the photos because of the context issue.

I suspect that at this point I'm off on a pretty significant tangent.

Anyway, I am curious to hear what if anything you make of my 2 responses to the driving example.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It’s not that I think it’s ‘wrong’. It’s a relatively common occurrence in this forum for people to say, “That’s not a <whatever function> thing, I do it too.” Sometimes it gets frustrating because it interferes with being able to discuss commonalities.

Thing is, these MBTI functions are defined in this way and then that way and then that way. People are trying to add too many things into function definitions, associate way too many traits and observations and whatnot without actual grounds* to do so and without ever even stopping to think for a second whether these things are really that well correlated. Yes I said it before and I will repeat that I'm picky with quality of correlations and yes, quality of definitions as well.

(*: Actual grounds means checking out the workings of many many people. After all, these MBTI functions are thingies that supposedly apply to everyone out there.)

So... I wish there was some true common ground where it's clear what's NOT supposed to be part of a function and then what is actually core of a function and the rest is just outside MBTI's framework.. I want to explain to people what the problem is with trying to associate everything on earth with everything else. This is part of my agenda. Like it or not... I would still hope that it at least gets understood.

Before anyone misinterprets this... This doesn't mean that I want to invalidate anyone's experiences**. Nope. That expression doesn't even *make sense*. So no, you and I and everyone have experiences and they are real and everything but not everything needs to be explained by the actually pretty narrow framework of MBTI. I encourage everyone to read up more on general psychology outside MBTI. It's worth the time. If one's already willing to pour so much time into MBTI shite, then how about pouring some time into other parts of cognitive psychology.

(**: Someone, I think it was [MENTION=20789]Werebudgie[/MENTION], in this thread asked: "Why can't it be simply that my experiences are mine, yours are yours, and we don't have to have overlap in order for both to be valid? That's a real question." Good point there I would say! I'm only talking about validity from the viewpoint of theory framework.)

And well that's the second part of my agenda. Show people that there's more to it - the mind and psychology - than MBTI. Yep.

And the third part of my agenda is - simply discussing internal experiences of the mind's workings. Whether Ni or not Ni. Sometimes it's nicer not trying to attach labels to everything like that. Especially MBTI labels. Just simply describe, discuss, compare, be amazed. :)

Or in other words, it’s one thing to say, “I relate to this too.” It’s another thing to say, “I don’t think this is related to being Ni dominant because I relate to it too.” The latter requires the commonalities conversation to stop long enough to explain a whole bunch of things that I don’t especially have the patience to stop and explain, because my focus is already on something else. I think that for Js, the way Ps want to pick apart the micro details that stand out to them- it’s like being expected to stop the car every 15 feet to check the air on the tires; after the first few ‘air checks’, it’s easy to forget what I got into the car for in the first place (which is why Js get angry with a lot of interruptions). So depending on how important the ‘destination’ of the original convo is- I’ll be proportionately agitated by distractions. [irl, I’m rarely as focused on conversation as I am here in the forum, I’m more focused on the people and I’m far more patient with side tangents. It’s much harder for me in written conversation though, to change gears.]

Alright cool I already said I'm a very patient type when it comes to discussing stuff. I can deal with it if you don't want to approach it the same way I do.

I will just comment - in line with my agendas I've laid out above - that I don't see it as a J/P thing about management of details. This can be attributed to many other things.

So this “I relate to this too” business- it’s not that I think it’s wrong. I’ll just say that I too understand what it’s like to be in a GIT ER DONE (!) mode….but that doesn’t mean that it isn’t a stronger characteristic of Te doms than it is of Ni doms. <-I hope that suffices as an explanation.

Sure suffices. See above.

[There are times in the forum when I think certain characteristics are wrongly attributed to a function- but people do tend to be a little too trigger happy with the whole “I do that too” argument around here.]

OK, we see that differently then.

I agree that "conclusion" can be either, and I think that's the crux of the misunderstanding here. I think- while the “scrambling around” description may resonate- Pe does the ‘scrambling around’ work aloud. [And before you argue this point- obviously it isn’t 100% every single fragment of every single thought must be spoken aloud. That’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying in comparison, Pe processes information by bouncing fragments off of others almost in real time as those fragments occur or relatively soon after they occur.]

First. Allow me to ask you to stop making assumptions about what I was going to argue about. (Regardless of whether the assumptions are correct or not, I just don't want it. Often it's not correct anyway.)

Now, as for the scrambling stuff, I don't know if that's Pe or what, I just recognise it in myself. As I said, when I think of a conclusion because of whatever that came up that needed a conclusion, I try to flesh it out in concrete steps and/or find the concrete data supporting it. And I'm sorry this isn't to argue with you, just stating my own experiences, so, yes, I do this in my mind on my own. Say I'm ISTP for example but it doesn't change the fact that I still do this on my own even though ISTP is a Pe type.

What I do like to talk about with others in the "bouncing Pe style" is simply about whatever things that then make me think in the process of the discussion. Like, I do that thinking on the move and I don't think about it when I'm on my own. That actually is one of the reasons why I don't see myself as Ni-dom because that goes pretty much against the core of that, I think. (Yes. A long time ago in a period of my life that now seems like maybe never really existed, I thought I was INFJ.) :p Anyway that can also have me in the process find such conclusions as above. So I would say I'm 50/50 on this thing. Sorry if I don't fit neatly into the MBTI boxes. *Sarcasm off*

Someone around here once said that Pi does it’s “churning” of information internally (I think ‘churning’ and ‘scrambling around’ probably mean the same thing), and that seems true to me. I have to scramble internally, my own way- whereas PeJi/JiPe is inclined to want to bounce immediate fragments of the churning/scrambling process off of others. The process may not feel “immediate” to PeJi/JiPe- but it is from a Pi perspective. Think of it like a microwave- if all you ever use is a microwave, then it might sound ridiculous when someone claims food is “instantly” heated: sometimes it takes as long as 5 minutes to cook something. But in comparison to a conventional oven- it’s pretty instant.

Hmm, as for churning, I think of the information that got collected over time without processing it right away. And then one day it comes up processed. I do that a lot too.

The scrambling to me means as above, what we talked about tracing steps to a conclusion. That's done relatively slowly compared to the AHA! moment that produces the conclusion, but it's still done much faster than the "churning" as defined by me in the above lines.

I wonder which one you meant actually? I think we were originally talking about the first one or is it that to you these two processes (that I called churning vs scrambling) aren't distinctly different?

Yeah, it looks that way to me too. One of the problems with the internal ‘churning’ is that having someone bounce a bunch of fragments of thoughts off of us can sound like a bunch of gobbledy-gook if some strong bullet points are not presented as staples to frame that information. While Ti generally makes sense to me (in spite of the fact that it gets exhausting to get pummeled with Ti fragments, I can still usually follow), that’s not so much the case with Fi. I need a context in which to place the fragments or they will go in one ear and out the other.

And so with Te doms- I’m starting to think a lot of times (when I thought they were dogmatically rejecting anything they didn’t already agree with) they reject Ti because there’s no staple or no framework ready to hold the fragments in place.

I didn't really understand the part about Fi framework but no worries.

I think I get the part about "bunch of gobbledy-gook". I guess I'm better at taking that than the Te-doms because I don't really require bullet points :D Otoh, I do still like to try and make sense of "gobbledy-gook stuff" too, depending on my current mindset. I either just absorb information without processing it right away or I want to take it apart and make sense of it. (Yea I am again 50/50 sorry. :p) In an active discussion I usually have this latter mindset though so I'm sorry if it's exhausting to you being pummeled with my Ti fragments. :)

I have been comparing Ni to a Rube Goldberg contraption for a while now (it probably applies somewhat to Si as well): if you put a marble in the top, it has to progress through a series of mechanisms before it hits ground zero. That’s what happens to information: it has to run the course through a series of diagnostics before I give it much weight. People tend to want to bypass this metaphorical Rube Goldberg contraption. It’s pretty common for people to feel like we’re “not listening” if they can’t say something and have it instantly bounced back at them in the way they bounce things back themselves. Pe dom/aux are much better at directly interacting with the information being presented in the moment (whether or not they’re actually giving it a chance is another story- sometimes they only take enough in to be able to shapeshift it into something more self serving before they throw it back, but that’s a whole other topic).

I see. I don't mind that, I've had NJ people before tell me that they need some time to think about whatever. That's fine. Yes, I'm not like that, I do try to interact in the moment if something gets thrown at me (and I would say I am 100/0 on this, not 50/50, hehe).

As for shapeshifting things. I believe it's totally completely fucking normal if something gets misinterpreted the first time by whoever. Or not even misinterpreted sometimes but just gets interpreted through the filters that everyone has in place. Well let me give it a better name, one that you used yourself. It's the filter that you yourself called your POV. Everyone's got a POV in this sense. And that's fine. It doesn't mean there can't be mutual understanding. Say, even if there is disagreement, the parties understand each others' POV's. This is why I believe in giving the chance to everyone who's willing to discuss stuff. I think that's where my previously mentioned patience comes from - I really am *not* a patient person in other situations. :)

I agree it's a problem though yes, if someone doesn't want to give it a chance, and that's what I call "not being receptive". Not the stuff about the person needing time to think through stuff, that's fine.

So let me get this straight: after spending years around a woman who asks “Who is this?” every single time there’s music playing (Every. Single. Time.) and who only ever later asks “Who was that musician…” or establishes any deeper interest where classical music is concerned- you wouldn’t pick up on that? Ever? It’s unreasonable to assume that this particular instance of asking is probably going to be no different than the (literally) thousands of times that preceded it?

Well the way I am.. I would just answer the question and not worry about the deeper meaning of why it was asked. So I can't really tell you much about that. I hate a lot of assumptions in general.

She isn’t always asking because she’s interested in the artist- she’s asking because she’s expressing interest in the person playing the music (it is possible to reasonably figure out- after being around someone for 20 years- the difference). She incessantly asks questions as a means to feel connected to people and/or just to be talking. Because some people are like that. There aren’t many people who can handle being around my mom very much because of it- it never stops, she never runs out of things to ask questions about.

So um was that why she got upset about you not actually answering her?

I didn't really know the reason for her interest when you originally described the situation but I still strongly felt it was unfair to deny her the answer. She obviously felt the same way because she got upset. So that's why I even commented on it.

And in short, (sorry but) I find it annoying to have someone point out that I’d made too many assumptions when their own observation about it- in itself- is actually based on too many of their own assumptions. It feels like it creates too much work for me communication-wise, and it’s actually a good example of the point I’ve been trying to make (about how there’s no one to ‘blame’). Sometimes, with some people, I can tell blanks are getting filled in with information in such a way that’s too difficult to keep track of and communication starts feeling like it’s more trouble than it’s worth. [I do think Ni- or at least NiFe- is especially sensitive in this way.]

Yeah that's pretty logical, I wasn't there, so yes I don't know what actually happened, I did assume you were telling the whole story with all relevant details. So anyway I understand you that you found it annoying and sorry for that. Otoh I already talked above about feeling strongly about the story.

As for blanks getting filled in, let me refer you back to my previous lines in this post about how it's completely normal to see something in WHATEVER way. Say, you see it in WHATEVER way because you have a specific POV. This isn't a sin and no one is exempt from it either. You either. I have seen you changing stuff I said. Just like everyone does. Ni-dom or not Ni-dom, NiFe or not NiFe. I don't have a problem with it though as long as the parties stay open; I value communication pretty highly. (See patience thingie.)

The only thing I do have a problem with is *if* you don't seem to acknowledge that it's you *too* who fills in blanks and whatnot. Earlier you seemed to acknowledge just that though.

So anyway, you seem to complain about how other people's POVs get in the way. While you earlier mentioned that your POV will not change easily no matter what others say (I related to that, remember :D), only if they say something that's really good POV-changing stuff (wow, I related so much to that too). Does that not mean that your POV can get in the way just as much as other people's POV's can? In this case why complain? It's a perfectly normal thing. Or do you mean that your POV doesn't get in the way because your POV is usually so much better than other people's? I wouldn't assume you actually wanted to claim that.

Please, do not take this as a personal attack, it's a glaring inconsistency to me right now and I would like to see it resolved. That's all.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=7842]Z Buck McFate[/MENTION], too many hard questions/issues? ;)

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Skimmed the last few pages and commenting;

Interesting. Yeghor first suggested I was an ISTP in a PM dialogue, and when I didn't get on board with him in private, ended up bringing it out into this public discussion.

Wow all that retyping bullshit. (Please [MENTION=20531]yeghor[/MENTION] do not take this personally, I just hate that sort of thing.)

I, too, don't relate to how he describes Ni, and I also don't recognize Ni in his attempted descriptions of that cognitive function, self-descriptions of Ni, and how he describes it. And I've been hesitant to get into this next bit because MBTI is just a tool for me, not some sort of street cred thing.

Alright the thing is it DOES matter what we try to call "Ni" because when you use this abbreviation of two letters, there will be too much information loss if the two letters don't mean the same thing for all partners in a discussion. It's a simple basic idea for effective communication.

So I do encourage people to not use these two-letter thingies too much, better use everyday words and direct descriptions of experiences.

This will tie into the topic here:

It might be worth noting that I often don't share in words with others the deepest Ni information/insights. I mean, when I read your description of your in-motion video Ni information, I asked myself would I be willing to share one of my Ni image-metaphor perceptual experiences in this discussion if it ever came up. I decided I didn't feel okay doing that in a context where the OP goal was to talk about Ni in ways that don't seem crazy and (presumably) are more understandable to those who don't have this as a dominant function.

Do share. It won't be "crazy".

(Disregard that I'm the person who says to do it when deciding if you want to share it.)

On a skim, I see a lot of abstract theorizing about what you think Ni is as a concept, and not a whole lot of speaking from what the actual experience of being a Ni-dom is for you in particular. So it makes sense that you'd respond to my comment about intellectual/values masturbation as if I'm dismissing some core attribute of Ni. (...) it looks to me like when it comes to discussing Ni, you're more interested in abstractly defining a concept of Ni, I'm more interested in describing my perceptual experiences and reading/interacting with descriptions of perceptual experiences from others - specifically Ni-doms for the purpose of this thread - to see if there's any convergence of various actual experiences of Ni (rather than what you seem interested in, which as far as I can tell right now, is more about theoretical consistency of the concept of Ni as related to a thinking system that includes or focuses on cognitive processes).

I can't remember all the stuff in the thread right now but I wasn't surprised seeing that there isn't 100% convergence. Again, MBTI == too narrow model for such a much more complex system that the human mind is.

As for trying to define a concept that we can then all call Ni, that'd be with the caveats I already mentioned in this post and in my previous one. And I'm frankly sick of those issues. There's like a hundred definitions of Ni floating around. No point to any of that.

[MENTION=20531]yeghor[/MENTION]: From my perspective, you persistently display serious misunderstanding of Jungian cognitive functions at the most basic of levels, and your view on Ni is no exception. Overall, as I see it, it's not that your theories are 100% wrong - it's that in my view, your theories are basically made up of a semi-structured conceptual word-salad composed of little tiny bits of accurate information tossed up with a whole huge mess of distorted nonsense. I've held back from saying this largely because I'm not willing to expend the time and energy to pick apart all (or even a specific chunk) of this distorted nonsense to illustrate what I mean. At the same time, from my vantage point, this situation seems glaringly obvious in what you've written and linked to in our sub-discussion in this thread alone, and having it on display is enough for me. And to be clear, this comment is not an invitation for any further discussion.

Way too easy to judge someone else's thoughts as "huge mess of distorted nonsense". Instead of taking the time to try and understand what the other person is actually thinking in their mind? I am not expecting a reply for this one but I do recommend you stop and think about that a bit or more than a bit. Again, my fav issue of communication.

From my end, I am less and less okay with having my experiences translated through other people's frameworks and thus distorted from what those experiences actually are. I can tell you I was much more willing to accept that kind of translation earlier in my life

That's interesting. I always thought an experience is an experience, no more no less. A framework for a system, is just "the map, not the territory". The experience is where the systematic interpretation can come from and that's where it leads back too.. interpretation cannot change reality in this sense. It does "change" it in another sense, of course, if you consider that you perceive everything through your body and inside your mind only, it's inevitable that this perception system is not going to be perfect, it will have distortions etc etc. But that perception, if you assume you are an agent in a world outside you, will still be dependent on the reality outside. There is a certain correlation even with all those distortions (of course if you really fuck up the perception system in some way, it will lose that correlation etc etc).

So, how did your experiences get distorted? is what is pretty interesting to me, if you feel like talking about that then do.

I have considered and keep considering the other option (that my own typing might be off) as well...The difference is far too distinct for me to ignore, and my perception so far leans more towards the conclusions that I've addressed in my previous post...

That's just fine, there's 7 billion people, you try to put them into 16 boxes, it's natural to have distinct differences between two people put into the same box, or "type".

It's not myself that I've felt bad about...but the inconsistency of the data we've shared about the INFJ type...Something's felt off to me...Something doesn't add up...

You know what doesn't add up? Everyone here's trying to use a framework (MBTI or jungian functions, whatever), that it's not meant for. It's a way too narrow framework to categorize everything into it. I explained this a bit more in my previous post above.

And my conclusion in my previous post was the best explanation (that satisfies the MBTI model I have in mind) I could come up with based on available data...

Your "MBTI model" is one of 100000000 such thingies. :/ I still think it's too narrow.

Because we both are trying to define the same\common things but I can see that they are not converging but diverging...if I define "red" and it doesn't sit with your definition of "red", then what's "red" actually? And, what is the thing that I've been (mis)-perceiving as "red" so far? It throws me off...

And all that above answers this too.

"Red" is just a word, nothing more.

I agree that the thread is still valuable in terms of understanding Ni...including your perception of the Ni function either way...

I would rephrase that - it's a valuable thread if you want to read about people's minds, how their thinking works in specific ways and how they perceive their own thinking, and so on. It's definitely interesting.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Haha sure all that's typically assigned to N functions. I don't do it myself much, no, I prefer to live the actual thing, the actual debate in this case. Though yes planning can be useful at times. So if it has a use to it I may do it but not so much for entertainment - I mean, as long as it's connected to reality. That is, I sometimes can and will think up stories for entertainment that have no connection to reality, to my world, anything I live in.

In terms of your own perspective, would you say that:

The world around you is constantly changing, while you, as a person, remain constant or unwavering?
or
The world around you is constant and unwavering, but you, as a person, are constantly changing?

You weren't asking me specifically but where is this question coming from?

Btw interesting set of questions for sure. This one, I suppose I'm the former, if that data point (=my answer) means anything to you. But it's hard to say because I don't really perceive myself as constant either. (Not truly changing though, either.) So I picked the former only because I can only tell about the perception of the world. And I'm not quite sure if perception of world vs perception of yourself have to always be opposed in such a way. Perhaps if you explained more about how this is supposed to work.

Do you perceive reality as a:

Series of snap-shots, photographs that contain specific events that are arranged in chronological order. (Ex. Do you remember certain paths because of specific points on the route, such as a gas station or something, and if those specific points disappeared, you'd be lost?)
or
A single, continuous, flow of events, as an unbroken chain where the general occurrence is preserved. (Ex. Do you remember certain paths as one, undivided route, not by landmarks but because of the general pattern?)

Is this from socionics? Please don't mix the two theories :doh: :mad: :angry: :irked:

(but yeah seriously don't :p )

Btw, I'm curious how you'd try to categorize my answer to that one! Taking the example of remembering routes; I remember & navigate routes by an abstract impressionist pattern. I don't pay attention to specific objects like there is a gas station wherever. It's a pattern of spatial orientation of things, not the things/objects themselves. However I don't really get this idea about remembering the path as one undivided route, I don't think I do that. How is that even done? Tell me?

And then, in general, I don't really try to recall the past, like, I don't try to recall the past 24 hours, but yes I tried to see how it worked for me, and it's definitely a series of visual snapshots, with kinetic data deeply integrated, yet it's static snapshots. Like, I take a snapshot of almost everything that is directly related to my going around, doing stuff, etc. and it's recalled as a series of photographs. If I'm to describe my past 24 hours in words, I will just list the actions I've done throughout the day. Again, my way of navigating a path or even recalling a path, does not use such concrete snapshots.

So it's that just your example usage sucked here, or it's that this issue/topic just isn't that simple. You know I'm thinking the latter. :wink:

yeghor

Skimmed the last few pages and commenting

Wow all that retyping bullshit. (Please [MENTION=20531]yeghor[/MENTION] do not take this personally, I just hate that sort of thing.)

It's OK...it's just I've started seeing ISTPs everywhere...:D Like I've suddenly become (more) sensitive to the type template...

High T correlates with the intelligence stat in D&D I guess (hence the ego)... So high T types may be prone to being narcissistic or egotisticall unless it is countered by say something like Ni that introspects on the self...So ISTPs later in life may develop some self-awareness and self-criticism...that may temper their ego...a high Se, which I correlate with the id and impulsiveness and sensation seeking and also promiscuity, also diminishes the effectiveness of superego in them...So a developed Ni might start serving as a superego, making them more mature and insightful...

Is it the same in Perc or does it have smt to do with TypoC? Or are ISTPs over-represented on the net wrt other types?

On another note, would an ISTP female be happy with an INFJ male, perhaps later in life? In other words, would a retired/repented assassin be willing to settle with a reclusive monk (crouching tiger?)

And here's a quick indicator for high N, do you daydream and fantasize a lot? As for Ni, do you have an overdeveloped inner critic that constantly berates you for your shortcomings and mistakes, lowering your self-esteem?

That's just fine, there's 7 billion people, you try to put them into 16 boxes, it's natural to have distinct differences between two people put into the same box, or "type".

It's not just that but also a model of how human mind/psyche works...all kinds of things like AI for instance can be modeled from it...

You know what doesn't add up? Everyone here's trying to use a framework (MBTI or jungian functions, whatever), that it's not meant for. It's a way too narrow framework to categorize everything into it. I explained this a bit more in my previous post above.

I know but Ni is obsessive about simplifying this (perhaps reducing their resolution/detail in the process, for easier storage and faster recall and processing times perhaps?)

Your "MBTI model" is one of 100000000 such thingies. :/ I still think it's too narrow.

OK...

I would rephrase that - it's a valuable thread if you want to read about people's minds, how their thinking works in specific ways and how they perceive their own thinking, and so on. It's definitely interesting.

Yes, human psyche...

Haha sure all that's typically assigned to N functions. I don't do it myself much, no, I prefer to live the actual thing, the actual debate in this case. Though yes planning can be useful at times. So if it has a use to it I may do it but not so much for entertainment - I mean, as long as it's connected to reality. That is, I sometimes can and will think up stories for entertainment that have no connection to reality, to my world, anything I live in.

It's like preparing too much baggage for an upcoming trip...over-preparedness and obsession...it's just a mental baggage in this case...

Sent via Tapatalk

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Or do you mean that your POV doesn't get in the way because your POV is usually so much better than other people's?

I think that others' points of view being so incredibly different is what the problem is- I don't think mine is "better" just because communication is strained. And I apologize for not responding, but this exchange is actually a good example of someone else's point of view being so different that communication is strained. I really can't even figure out what you're getting at in the above post or what you're asking. If you have questions about introverted intuition or the opening post, maybe someone else can answer them. :)

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My understanding is that Ni takes sensory information from Se and generates various subjective "perspectives" on something. This is in contrast to Ne, which generates objective possibilities from subjective (Si) sense impressions and memories.

"There are many ways you can look at this" is a common motto of an Ni-user.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=7842]Z Buck McFate[/MENTION], too many hard questions/issues? ;)

Perhaps some posters here, such as myself, don't went to spend that much time on a long response.