• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introverted intuition

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just youtube Dario Nardi Neuroscience of Personality and start it at 56:50. I dunno why it's not working. :/

This one I guess

That circuit, not much was said about it... how do you know your brain is lit in those patterns? :p

Ni isn't the circuit btw, according to Nardi, it's a "whole brain, zen-like pattern" thingie.

That circuit was involving two Ti regions and two Te/Fi regions according to his research

Werebudgie

I want my account deleted
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5

Yeah, pretty much as I remembered it (I lacked energy to go back through).

At this point, I myself have moved on from that because a new way to think about it came up that I find more accurate. I personally find Z Buck's metaphor more accurate for me - not only in terms of my own experiences (which it is), but also because I ran both metaphors/descriptions by my INFP partner and asked which fit me per her years of observations and experiences with me. She said the blank canvas one didn't fit at all, she basically had no way at all to relate that to me. But when I mentioned the Magic Eye 3D metaphor, she kind of lit up with "Yeah! I can see that!" and we ended up with a very interesting discussion of how those things work.

Here's the original quote re that Magic Eye 3D metaphor:

The term ‘blank’ doesn’t quite sit right with me because (if only for me) the association that brings up is of a blank canvas or something- and blank canvases are easier to work with, they can be consciously and willingly filled in. My 'canvas' will reject any paint (or pastel, pencil, etc) I try to force onto it and it'll poke me in the eye for even trying. I feel it’s more like looking at one of those Magic Eye 3D images and a sort of ‘waiting’ (without much idea of what will surface, but the distinct feeling that the image is already there and I can't see it yet- I’m not choosing it, it’s just there) than it is ‘blankness’ per se.

And my response, minus the part that your comment focused on:

Actually, that does resonate more with how I experience it. ... I think your description is even more resonant with what's really "there" for me. It's a landscape of information that's non-differentiated to my conscious mind. And for me, organically, that's really okay.

eta: So, at dinner, I mentioned the "blank" concept to my partner and she said it doesn't match with her experience of me at all. I then mentioned your Magic 3D Eye metaphor to her and she said that actually does mesh strongly with her experience of me. This underscores my sense that your metaphor refines whatever we're trying to get at in favor of greater accuracy.

We ended up having a relatively interesting discussion that included attention to focusing/unfocusing and how that's related to our respective modes of information processing. Because she's a judging dominant (we assume), she can't unfocus her metaphorical eyes if she's looking directly at the kind of information that makes up my inner field per the Magic Eye 3D metaphor. Her experience is that when she herself gets flashes of information of that nature (not from me, when it happens to her), if she looks at it directly it goes away because she has to focus and that focusing makes it go away ... so she has look at it kind of sideways, glimpse it only out of the corner or her metaphorical eye, or she loses it. But I can metaphorically look directly at such information (when I get it directly, which is pretty much all the time) and keep my metaphorical eyes unfocused to allow whatever's inside all that "stuff" to show itself when it's ready.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
It can go anywhere, be anything, is always open for new information, an entire reinterpretation.

No. I have enough empirical evidence to prove this false. This is simply propoganda.

I can't think of a direct example. But it seems a lot of Ni-isms are "paradoxes".
Just for contrast, a Ne type can hold several possibilities to be, well, possible, even if they contradict. This is more "shallow" in a sense, so it's not so hard to grasp. But with Ni, and arguably Si, there's an ability to see it not as possibility, but reality. I guess it's just the experience of reality being subjective, a matter of interpretation more than objective fact.

And that is the beauty of Ni right there, that desire to take all the possibilities we would hold open and reconcile them to a singular over-arching vision or truth. Sometimes that truth is the paradox. To hold onto something, we must let it go ... truisms such as this.

IMO, this makes the Ni+Te combo more interesting in a person because the functions are almost checking each other. I suppose that's what auxiliary functions do (as a complement & "balance"), but it's very obvious in that particular one. Or perhaps there's an advantage that they prove their "checks" to others with Te. NFs have such a disadvantage there. Even INTPs have more frustration.

Agreed. Te has the benefit of more solid 'real world' objective proofs. (Does it work? Yes or No.) Fe is working on the premise of objectivity in a system that not everyone agrees is objective. Still, Fe manages to obtain some sort of consensus despite this difficulty (same question, does it work?) mostly because Fe needs that agreed space to exist, therefore fosters the creation and maintenance of that space. I personally see this realm as subjective, so trying to carve objective truths from it is mostly useful as a guide but can on occasion be quite troublesome and even dangerous.

Ti still gets to flit in that 'check and balance' world because, again, there is at some point a groundedness in something measureable and quantifiable. edited: as it filters through the preceding functions, the 'check and balance' aspect is influenced by each in turn.

It doesn't feel "empty", just formless.

Agreed. It seems as though the conversation is going in a direction that isn't jiving with what I feel as this space. It is not a "blank canvas" to me. It's an inner space that, when I explore it, has no dimension or shape. That does not mean there is nothing there. Yet, there is nothing of something that I do expect to be there.

yeghor

...She said the blank canvas one didn't fit at all, she basically had no way at all to relate that to me. But when I mentioned the Magic Eye 3D metaphor, she kind of lit up with "Yeah! I can see that!" and we ended up with a very interesting discussion of how those things work...

Here's the original quote re that Magic Eye 3D metaphor:

The term ‘blank’ doesn’t quite sit right with me because (if only for me) the association that brings up is of a blank canvas or something- and blank canvases are easier to work with, they can be consciously and willingly filled in. My 'canvas' will reject any paint (or pastel, pencil, etc) I try to force onto it and it'll poke me in the eye for even trying. I feel it’s more like looking at one of those Magic Eye 3D images and a sort of ‘waiting’ (without much idea of what will surface, but the distinct feeling that the image is already there and I can't see it yet- I’m not choosing it, it’s just there) than it is ‘blankness’ per se.

...We ended up having a relatively interesting discussion that included attention to focusing/unfocusing and how that's related to our respective modes of information processing. Because she's a judging dominant (we assume), she can't unfocus her metaphorical eyes if she's looking directly at the kind of information that makes up my inner field per the Magic Eye 3D metaphor. Her experience is that when she herself gets flashes of information of that nature (not from me, when it happens to her), if she looks at it directly it goes away because she has to focus and that focusing makes it go away ... so she has look at it kind of sideways, glimpse it only out of the corner or her metaphorical eye, or she loses it. But I can metaphorically look directly at such information (when I get it directly, which is pretty much all the time) and keep my metaphorical eyes unfocused to allow whatever's inside all that "stuff" to show itself when it's ready.

I think the original blank canvas metaphor did not imply anything about the Ni-dom user forcing paint on the canvas...Actually, I don't know if others ([MENTION]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] and [MENTION=19715]Susurrus[/MENTION]) agree with this but the canvas gets filled with whatever gets thru my external functions (Fe-aux and Se-inferior)...I do not put or force any paint on it...The canvas is an internal surface\screen that external data gets imprinted\projected on...

Ni then gazes on the canvas and compares the pattern\figure in the canvas constantly with whatever set of patterns have already been stored within Ni, and yields a result if a matching pattern is found...

However, the matching pattern is not necessarily consciously visible to the Ni-dom user readily...For me, to be able to make sense of the pattern, I need to consciously focus on it using Ti-tert...

Let's call an external set of data "a smudge of paint on the canvas"...Ni keeps gazing on the canvas all the time...With the first smudge it may or may not see any matching pattern...then there comes another smudge...Ni starts saying "this looks like a horse..."...then comes another smudge...Ni says "I am sure this is a horse"...Then comes another smudge...depending on the incoming data Ni may see that the figure infact resembles a unicorn rather than a simple horse...mind that the figure on the canvas is still not a complete version...So Ni makes an approximation or an educated guess...

At this point Ni user knows the figure resembles a unicorn but cannot consciously explain how the deduction was made...Then comes Ti-tert, which examines the smudges in detail and tells the Ni-user that "see there's a hoof, there's a horn, and this looks like the eye of a horse but there seems to be some feathered wings attached to the torso...bring all these together you end up with a unicorn (or pegacorn or whatever)..."...This of course requires that the unicorn or a similar pattern to have been recognized and stored by the Ni-user in the past...otherwise Ni user has to wait for the figure on the canvas to get completed so that its essential pattern can be extracted and added to the Ni storehouse of patterns...

The internal "blankness" thing proposed by others may be stemming from Ni being a storehouse of patterns rather than ideas or detailed data...

[MENTION=7842]Z Buck McFate[/MENTION], [MENTION=20789]Werebudgie[/MENTION];

Regarding the magic eye 3d analogy, where does the texture of magic eye 3d come from to the attention of the Ni-dom user? Is it a constant texture or does it change with additional incoming information?

What does it take for the Ni-dom user to be able to increase the resolution of the image or shift it so that it can be consciously perceived?

The unfocused metaphorical eye here is Ni, isn't it?

G

Ginkgo

I don't think Ni can be understood intellectually since doing so requires some kind of reasoning.Ni are sort of like the Zen koans which required the subject to suspend all kind of reasoning and instead reconcile contradictions in order to reach an intuitive understanding of the nature of reality. Jung stated that introverted irrational functions(Si,Ni) were the hardest to explain to others since it stand in glaring contrast to our current mode of operation that values logical and rationalistic processes.

Thanks for posting that quote. I found it beautiful.

Werebudgie

I want my account deleted
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5

Regarding the magic eye 3d analogy, where does the texture of magic eye 3d come from to the attention of the Ni-dom user? Is it a constant texture or does it change with additional incoming information?

I don't quite understand the questions here and the approach seems alien to me somehow (not sure how, though). Maybe Z Buck will have something interesting in response.

What does it take for the Ni-dom user to be able to increase the resolution of the image or shift it so that it can be consciously perceived?

I can't usefully affect the resolution of the image or shift it at all. When I try, it forces something that shouldn't be forced and that creates problems.

To allow the underlying "image" to emerge, I look, wait, and keep my metaphorical eyes unfocused (don't try to focus/force it to emerge until it's ready).

I don't know. Probably not, though. We (my partner and I) were talking about what each of us does with a certain kind of information, when the topic of focusing/unfocusing came up. I think the unfocused metaphorical eye is what I do when looking at the information in the Ni landscape/field. But really, I don't know.

yeghor

I don't quite understand the questions here and the approach seems alien to me somehow (not sure how, though). Maybe Z Buck will have something interesting in response.

I can't usefully affect the resolution of the image or shift it at all. When I try, it forces something that shouldn't be forced and that creates problems.

To allow the underlying "image" to emerge, I look, wait, and keep my metaphorical eyes unfocused (don't try to focus/force it to emerge until it's ready).

I don't know. Probably not, though. We (my partner and I) were talking about what each of us does with a certain kind of information, when the topic of focusing/unfocusing came up. I think the unfocused metaphorical eye is what I do when looking at the information in the Ni landscape/field. But really, I don't know.

Here's a theory...

Ni sees the forest, Ti sees the trees...

The unfocused Ni view is actually the global, or bird's eye, or large-scale (not sure on the last one) view of the internal material whereas the Ti view is the local, or detailed, or small-scale focused view of the material...

So Ni-dom function first sees the global edges of the material and Ti-tert moves in for closer inspection...? (and may get lost in the woods? :D)

Eta: So Ni hovers over the internally perceived material whereas Ti-tert then lands on the ground and walks inside that material...?

As in my earlier post about fuzzy logic, N function can deal with incomplete data (i.e. data values between 0 and 1; i.e. probabilities and approximations and interpolations and extrapolations) whereas T function (and perhaps F function as well) deals with concrete binary logic (i.e. values that are strictly either 0 or 1)...

As a sidenote, that may also be related to why Fi-dom have absolute convictions about their judgments, hence their relatively more rigid core\ego...it's binary...they are either right or wrong, or true or false...

So N function sees silhouttes of things (i.e. intangible data) and it takes T to make the silhoutte take form and become tangible...?

Eta 2: So T and F (judging functions) see either black or white whereas N (and S?) see in shades of grey?

So for INFJs, Ni function allows them to see nuances...whereas their Fe and Ti balances the ethereal nature of N with some rigidity...They corporealize its spirit...Provide a vessel for it to take form and survive and exist in the material world?

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Eh I can have trouble with that too. Doubt this is Ni much in this generalised fashion anyway, this almost sounds like an autism spectrum thingie :). Or just some kind of introversion

Sounds like introversion...?

Yes, taken out of the specific context of the exchange I was having with Werebudgie and considered in isolation, I suppose it does sound like plain old introversion. But take into account it evolved from talking about being sensitive to having the meaning distorted by others on a regular basis (oversimplified summary) and that narrows down the scope a bit to something more specific to Ni.

I’m not entirely sure what you’re asking here. It sounds to me like you’re asking how this could describe Ni when it sounds like a judging process? (If not, disregard the following explanation.) I don’t think Ni is the aspect that scrambles to come up with an explanation- I think Ni is the thing that drops “If A, then Q” on the table and the judging functions then must scramble around to find the linear progression which led from A to Q.

Um... I do that a lot. See X and then Y and then "scramble around" to find the steps. I do have this need to find the steps though and I will usually succeed and I even kind of enjoy doing it, for the challenge and for the sake of the result at least. But I usually have this quick process (that you called Ni) work in tandem with logic. (In a few cases, without logic in the traditional sense.. but that's the exception from the rule)
So I kind of assumed it was just this well automatically managed Ti. I kind of see it as Judging anyway, "if A, then Q".

I’m getting the impression (from quite of few of responses where you've quoted me) as though you’re hearing some interpretation of it that reflects your own experience more than the point I was trying to get across.

Ni is not a quick process. The ‘end’ shows up first- and not even clearly, but there will be the distinct feeling that there’s an ‘end’ which doesn’t match what I’m being told the ‘end’ is or what others generally believe the ‘end’ to be. That initial feeling is instant, yes- but waiting for the reason why I don’t feel like I can go along with something is anything but instant (as Hard initially explained on the first page, there’s an urge to go back and retrace all the steps that lead to the conclusion- a conclusion that sometimes/often isn’t even clear to me to begin with, I'll only know the conclusion being presented to me is 'off' somehow).

And yeah, Pe (even Pe aux) to me seems to not understand that limbo in between ‘knowing something is there’ and actually being able to guess what it is. It’s almost like- as soon as they suspect ‘something is there’ (and I realize ‘something’ is incredibly vague, but I can’t think of any other way to say it), they’re flooded with ideas about what it might be- especially Pe doms (obviously).

Se types too? Because I definitely don't do this with Se. I thought that was more Ne-ish, being *flooded with* ideas about what it MIGHT be. No that's not how I work. I will look and I either have the answer pop into my head pretty quickly or I don't have anything at all. It's like an unconscious process tries to sort the answer asap and if it runs into a mental "wall", it knows not to go on. Simply not enough information available. That's the assumption anyway. I do think this is the Ni part of the Se/Ni equation but it's prob Se > Ni in this specific case as far as my understanding goes. That would be not only because Ni I assume is not going to "give up" so fast but mainly because I just want to find the answer concretely and want to bring it into the conscious asap.

The underlined statement seems to suggest you don’t agree with what I wrote, yet the bolded statements seem to basically say the same thing I did. “I either have the answer pop into my head pretty quickly or I don’t have anything at all” suggests (to me) that you don’t understand that limbo between knowing something is there and being able to guess what it is? Werebudgie used the word “ambiguity”, which works just as well.

It’s a rather established thing for Pe dom/aux to be more mercurial with their immediate external surroundings than Js- I suspect what I'm trying to explain has a lot to do with why that is. When Pe dom/aux receive information that doesn’t quite sit right, they want to tear it open right then and there. When Pi dom/aux receives information that doesn’t sit right, they chuck it in a ‘pending’ file and let it bake.

I haven’t been following the progression of the different analogies going on enough to know for sure what you’re asking. Nor have I been reading all the posts. All I know is that the reason ‘blank’ doesn’t sit right with me is because things that are blank can be filled in. I think one of the distinguishing characteristics of Ni is that Ni doms most definitely can not easily be ‘filled in’. There’s plenty of testimony around this forum alone about hard it is to make Ni doms “listen”.

I referred to my cognitive landscape as a ‘canvas’ just because it was the first analogy that popped into my head- not because I think it bears any striking resemblance to a canvas. If it’s a canvas, it’s like a canvas that spits the paint back at you when it doesn’t seem to belong there. Incoming information must go through something like a Rube Goldberg contraption before I can use it. It isn’t a choice. I can choose to try harder/be more patient- but ultimately I can not choose to believe something that doesn’t make sense to me. I'm really not sure if there's a way to hurry the process or not.

Yes, it does change with new incoming information- but rarely because of some direct explanation from someone about why my POV should change (which often pushes me in the other direction). The kind of new information that actually changes my POV is if I notice I was actually wrong about something.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It can go anywhere, be anything, is always open for new information, an entire reinterpretation.
No. I have enough empirical evidence to prove this false. This is simply propoganda.

+1! :D Though honestly, the definition DOES go like that, as it's a perceiving function. In practice, people don't always seem to be that open. Even P-doms are not fully P in this extreme sense, I suppose, the brain just can't change everything all the time if it wants to survive.

Here's a theory...

Ni sees the forest, Ti sees the trees...

The unfocused Ni view is actually the global, or bird's eye, or large-scale (not sure on the last one) view of the internal material whereas the Ti view is the local, or detailed, or small-scale focused view of the material...

That's not how I experience Ti, it's only one aspect of it. Ti (or god knows what it is) for me involves the global view as well. I assume it's a different view from Ni because this one is all about logical structure etc.

As in my earlier post about fuzzy logic, N function can deal with incomplete data (i.e. data values between 0 and 1; i.e. probabilities and approximations and interpolations and extrapolations) whereas T function (and perhaps F function as well) deals with concrete binary logic (i.e. values that are strictly either 0 or 1)...

Why wouldn't Ti be able to deal with fuzzy logic? And with probabilities and whatnot, all the shite you listed. Probability theory is totally logical too and all the rest you listed I can *see* and *feel* very well from a logical standpoint.

Yes, taken out of the specific context of the exchange I was having with Werebudgie and considered in isolation, I suppose it does sound like plain old introversion. But take into account it evolved from talking about being sensitive to having the meaning distorted by others on a regular basis (oversimplified summary) and that narrows down the scope a bit to something more specific to Ni.

OK.

I’m getting the impression (from quite of few of responses where you've quoted me) as though you’re hearing some interpretation of it that reflects your own experience more than the point I was trying to get across.

I am comparing it to my own experiences, are you trying to say that's a wrong thing to do?

It doesn't mean I can't focus on your point at the same time and/or not be receptive to further explanation on what your point is like. That is, yes, I'm glad to focus on whatever you say, process it in my own way and be receptive for more information from you. It would be unreasonable to expect I will understand everything perfectly right away and I certainly don't expect others to understand everything right away of whatever I said. I'm not a patient person by default but when it comes to discussing stuff, I am very patient in this sense.

Also, would it be less "wrong" if I came to this forum claiming I am Ni-dom? Do not assume that my experiences are all invalid just because I don't have "Ni-dom" in my profile. Sorry though if you weren't doing that; Werebudgie did that before.

Ni is not a quick process. The ‘end’ shows up first- and not even clearly, but there will be the distinct feeling that there’s an ‘end’ which doesn’t match what I’m being told the ‘end’ is or what others generally believe the ‘end’ to be. That initial feeling is instant, yes- but waiting for the reason why I don’t feel like I can go along with something is anything but instant (as Hard initially explained on the first page, there’s an urge to go back and retrace all the steps that lead to the conclusion- a conclusion that sometimes/often isn’t even clear to me to begin with, I'll only know the conclusion being presented to me is 'off' somehow).

By quick I meant you see the "end" without thinking through an unconscious process and it's relatively fast because you don't have to take the time to flesh out steps to arrive there. Just as you said, there's an instant initial feeling. I also talked about "scrambling around" to find the steps to it and I think it pretty much implied that that is a slower process. I described the same urge [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] talked about too. And yep I also get the feeling at times that whatever others say is "off" and then I will have to figure out why which does take longer.

Are we on the same page now, if not, let me know. I think we are talking about the same thing here.

What may not be the same is that I thought this was part of Judging Ti (in my case at least). This instant feeling of the conclusion. So you don't categorize it as Judging then? I always had a bit of trouble clearly differentiating between the concepts perceiving and judging functions. The most sensible distinction I've ever heard came from Jung himself; perceiving = will see everything, all the world, while judging = will only see what can be "rational", that is, only part of the world. The above "conclusion thingie", it could be either honestly, if going by that distinction.

The underlined statement seems to suggest you don’t agree with what I wrote, yet the bolded statements seem to basically say the same thing I did. “I either have the answer pop into my head pretty quickly or I don’t have anything at all” suggests (to me) that you don’t understand that limbo between knowing something is there and being able to guess what it is? Werebudgie used the word “ambiguity”, which works just as well.

No, here I didn't say the same thing. :/ I was talking about how Se doesn't get flooded with ideas. You said Pe types get flooded with ideas. Nope that's not me and I'm most likely Se > Ni but I no longer know even that honestly. So anyway, my point was maybe the flood of ideas is true for Ne types but not for Se types or at least not all Se types because it's not true for me.

Where I do agree and do please note that I didn't even dispute it, because I was only disputing the "flooded with ideas" part, is that limbo thingie. I just don't focus on the limbo much so I don't feel it, only the "wall" that signals to me that right now it's pointless for me to attempt to go on with whatever I'm trying to "see" (when trying to "see" the "end" of whatever). Make sense?

It’s a rather established thing for Pe dom/aux to be more mercurial with their immediate external surroundings than Js- I suspect what I'm trying to explain has a lot to do with why that is. When Pe dom/aux receive information that doesn’t quite sit right, they want to tear it open right then and there. When Pi dom/aux receives information that doesn’t sit right, they chuck it in a ‘pending’ file and let it bake.

Interesting, the bolded, I can do either, it's mood dependent for me. I think it's more noticeable for an external observer when I do the former (Pe) because I do it while discussing it with others. (I don't really do it on my own alone, only when talking to whoever. Don't ask why, I just... don't.)

Btw, it may matter where the Pe or Pi is, for example, a Te-dom is a Judging dominant and thus may just reject the whole thing if it doesn't sit right even though they do have Pi as aux. Of course if Te-doms experience it as putting the information away and only pulling it out if it does start to make sense, then okay, but that's just not how to seem to be. ;)

I haven’t been following the progression of the different analogies going on enough to know for sure what you’re asking. Nor have I been reading all the posts. All I know is that the reason ‘blank’ doesn’t sit right with me is because things that are blank can be filled in. I think one of the distinguishing characteristics of Ni is that Ni doms most definitely can not easily be ‘filled in’. There’s plenty of testimony around this forum alone about hard it is to make Ni doms “listen”.

May I ask what you meant by Ni-doms not listening? Not being receptive to other people's opinions? I thought of this interpretation because of the below text from you:

I referred to my cognitive landscape as a ‘canvas’ just because it was the first analogy that popped into my head- not because I think it bears any striking resemblance to a canvas. If it’s a canvas, it’s like a canvas that spits the paint back at you when it doesn’t seem to belong there. Incoming information must go through something like a Rube Goldberg contraption before I can use it. It isn’t a choice. I can choose to try harder/be more patient- but ultimately I can not choose to believe something that doesn’t make sense to me. I'm really not sure if there's a way to hurry the process or not.

Yes, it does change with new incoming information- but rarely because of some direct explanation from someone about why my POV should change (which often pushes me in the other direction). The kind of new information that actually changes my POV is if I notice I was actually wrong about something.

Hahaha about the bolded btw. I am so much like that myself. (Well unless the direct explanation actually is a very strong argument because then my POV does change instantly.) I thought it was Judging Ti for me, though. Oh and the same about the rest, I like it if things make sense to me. Again, I attributed that to Ti for myself.

Also, that would be in line with the jungian definition of judging (only dealing with part of the world information-wise)

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
that's why, after houdini'ing my way out of the mental chains we collectively share, when busting my way out of a broken metaphysic, when communicating, sometimes i'm just like, let them eat cake. let them untangle themselves. it's just a disconnect, experientially, because i just have no idea what happened. and i'm tired. at least nowadays when i sit down to do work, i commit to a recap period at the end of each session, so i have some story sense to go on, rather than just being tilt-a-whirled to the point of physical exhaustion. deep Ni work is fucking exhausting. it's not something that connects me to my sense of myself as a person, but it is tremendously powerful when i utilize it in a way that does. it needs to be done strategically. otherwise, it's like getting lost in the endless incantations of the butterfly effect, trying to reverse engineer search teams to locate each seed that has contributed to the growing up of this moment, without even being aware of how you yourself arrived there, let alone being able to use that self-awareness in a way that enables you to relate to how others are arriving there as well.

Hey state (supposing you're still around), what exactly do you mean by "let them eat cake"? Do you mean something like, "Oh f#ck, I'm just going to let them believe whatever they want to believe"?

I'm remembering a conversation I had once, in my car with my mom when my son was little. She was seated in the back, so we were both kind of shouting to communicate.

Her: Who is this? [asking about cassette tape I was playing]
Me: Kate Bush.
Her: Kate Wood?
Me: KATE BUSH.
Me: ...Yes.

My son started laughing really hard (he was maybe 3 yo), and gave my mom a rundown of what had just happened. She got really angry that I said 'yes' knowing full well she had the name wrong. This is a very literal example of the kind of misunderstanding that happens with people- usually it's more complicated, and my impression that they aren't hearing me is based on criteria that's harder to explain (not simply whether or not it's literally loud enough)- but it feels like I'm constantly weighing whether or not it's worth the effort to clarify something when it seems like communication is missing some mark. Sometimes I make the unilateral decision that it's just not worth the effort. Either the topic we're discussing isn't that important, or I don't think the person I'm talking to is capable of 'getting' it in the first place.

With the example I gave- I can't imagine my mother actually liked the music. If it were classical music then I would have continued to yell (louder each time) until she heard the name correctly. But knowing that's just what she does- she asks questions, all the time, about everything (because "that's how people express interest in one another")- I made the assumption that it was just one of those times when she was asking simply to be asking someone questions, and not because she wanted to remember the name in order to find that music later. And anyway, my point is (and I *think* the point you were trying to make with the paragraph I quoted) sometimes I make the unilateral decision that it isn't really important to clarify things, because it gets so exhausting, and it seems so meaningless to spend time connecting over something so unimportant anyway. I'd rather spend that effort connecting over more important things.

yeghor

Why wouldn't Ti be able to deal with fuzzy logic? And with probabilities and whatnot, all the shite you listed. Probability theory is totally logical too and all the rest you listed I can *see* and *feel* very well from a logical standpoint.

I don't know...perhaps it's because fuzzy logic deals with the abstract...things that are not readily observable in the real world (hence the N function) whereas T deals with what's observable in the real world, with concrete data...

Perhaps N imagines the concept and T then formulates that concept into a tangible, methodic, equation form...?

Perhaps N gets a hunch about a hypothesis and T checks whether the hypothesis holds true...?

The fuzziness of N function perhaps comes from N eccentrically jumping way outside what's known in the literature (status quo) or away from the center of mass of that literature (status quo) at any given time...thereby, jumping (in an uncontrolled manner) into and\or ending up in uncharted territory whereas T can navigate within or just outside the perimeter of the boundary of that literature one or a few steps at a time in consciously controlled manner...

So T cannot imagine an arbitrary point (way) outside a given set of available data (domain) yet N can...?

So T cannot jump ahead 10-20 nodes ahead into the territory yet N can? Whereas T can identify the neighbouring nodes at any given point whereas N cannot? So perhaps N is insane\eccentric whereas T is sane\centric? Perhaps it's due to that T-dom position themselves close the center of society whereas N-dom end up in the fringes...?

Edit: So T is near-sighted whereas N is far-sighted...?

Edit 2: Perhaps N has the ability to suspend disbelief yet T doesn't...?

I really don't know...How is your experience in that regard?

Last edited:

yeghor

...This is a very literal example of the kind of misunderstanding that happens with people- usually it's more complicated, and my impression that they aren't hearing me is based on criteria that's harder to explain (not simply whether or not it's literally loud enough)- but it feels like I'm constantly weighing whether or not it's worth the effort to clarify something when it seems like communication is missing some mark. Sometimes I make the unilateral decision that it's just not worth the effort. Either the topic we're discussing isn't that important, or I don't think the person I'm talking to is capable of 'getting' it in the first place...

What if it's not about the other person's incapability to understand but your incapability to convey your thoughts or ideas in a manner\format that is optimized for better comprehension by your counterpart in the dialogue...?

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know...perhaps it's because fuzzy logic deals with the abstract...things that are not readily observable in the real world (hence the N function) whereas T deals with what's observable in the real world, with concrete data...

Read Jung on Ti? It's all about abstract shite!

I guess the only one thing that makes Ti related to real world observation is that Ti logic comes from experience. It's still not as directly connected to it as Te would be. The Ti concepts are not something you can literally see. Only see them inside the mind.

Ni can come from experience as well but it seems it's more disconnected in a certain fashion.

Perhaps N imagines the concept and T then formulates that concept into a tangible, methodic, equation form...?

Well maybe that. Though if you read stuff on Ti, you can see that function can also imagine/create concepts on its own. But yes more tangible and methodical than Ni concepts. By which I simply mean it's logic, has its own logical rules, not irrational.

Perhaps N gets a hunch about a hypothesis and T checks whether the hypothesis holds true...?

Yea, N is supposed to be more about hunches than T.

The fuzziness of N function perhaps comes from N eccentrically jumping way outside what's known in the literature (status quo) or away from the center of mass of that literature (status quo) at any given time...thereby, jumping (in an uncontrolled manner) into and\or ending up in uncharted territory whereas T can navigate within or just outside the perimeter of the boundary of that literature one or a few steps at a time in consciously controlled manner...

Jung only attributed such literature related limits to Te. Not to Ti.

I'm not sure if Ti is all supposed to be fully conscious though, mine doesn't always seem to take a conscious form. Still Ti though because it's about the logic of whatever.

And about the taking only one or a few steps at once, I'm not sure about that either. My Ti can work in a holistic fashion too as I mentioned in my previous reply to you. Everything is processed "at once" in that mode. Inconsistencies (so yep this is still logic) will be seen together at once and so on.

So T cannot imagine an arbitrary point (way) outside a given set of available data (domain) yet N can...?

N is perceiving function, yeah. So this is a good point here.

So T cannot jump ahead 10-20 nodes ahead into the territory yet N can? Whereas T can identify the neighbouring nodes at any given point whereas N cannot? So perhaps N is insane\eccentric whereas T is sane\centric?

Yeah, perceiving vs judging :) Again good point

Perhaps it's due to that T-dom position themselves close the center of society whereas N-dom end up in the fringes...?

True for Te-dom maybe. Ti-doms aren't really close to "center of society", according to Jung & others

I really don't know...How is your experience in that regard?

Well my own experience, it involves both Ti and Ni. Sometimes it's hard to separate them. Note that both functions are introverted so they will def. share some traits :)

I have this hypothesis that some of the stuff people try to attribute just to Ni isn't just Ni. Some things mentioned in this thread are just Ni, yes, but people seem to try to put so many various things into just this one concept. I wouldn't expect all of them to only occur together and never at other times. But it's my own view in terms of how I prefer simple concepts where things actually do belong together. I'm very picky about quality of correlations.

Otherwise I think whatever I said in this post in response to your lines is the stuff that helps me separate the Ni and the Ti. But as I said, it's not always easy for me when I am in this Ti/Ni or Ni/Ti mode :D

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm remembering a conversation I had once, in my car with my mom when my son was little. She was seated in the back, so we were both kind of shouting to communicate.

My son started laughing really hard (he was maybe 3 yo), and gave my mom a rundown of what had just happened. She got really angry that I said 'yes' knowing full well she had the name wrong. This is a very literal example of the kind of misunderstanding that happens with people- usually it's more complicated, and my impression that they aren't hearing me is based on criteria that's harder to explain (not simply whether or not it's literally loud enough)- but it feels like I'm constantly weighing whether or not it's worth the effort to clarify something when it seems like communication is missing some mark. Sometimes I make the unilateral decision that it's just not worth the effort. Either the topic we're discussing isn't that important, or I don't think the person I'm talking to is capable of 'getting' it in the first place.

With the example I gave- I can't imagine my mother actually liked the music. If it were classical music then I would have continued to yell (louder each time) until she heard the name correctly. But knowing that's just what she does- she asks questions, all the time, about everything (because "that's how people express interest in one another")- I made the assumption that it was just one of those times when she was asking simply to be asking someone questions, and not because she wanted to remember the name in order to find that music later. And anyway, my point is (and I *think* the point you were trying to make with the paragraph I quoted) sometimes I make the unilateral decision that it isn't really important to clarify things, because it gets so exhausting, and it seems so meaningless to spend time connecting over something so unimportant anyway. I'd rather spend that effort connecting over more important things.

o_O How do you know without actually ASKING your mother if she truly liked the music. Or how do you know whether someone else is incapable of "getting" whatever idea you have? Too many assumptions seriously. I'd prefer to figure out if the assumption is actually true.

Also you mention that you could have continued to yell louder each time if you really wanted to get the point (the name) across to your mother. But you didn't do that because it wasn't classical music. So it means it wasn't only her fault that she didn't hear the name right if we must resort to fault finding.

What if it's not about the other person's incapability to understand but your incapability to convey your thoughts or ideas in a manner\format that is optimized for better comprehension by your counterpart in the dialogue...?

Haha +1! I mean I don't specifically mean to say this about [MENTION=7842]Z Buck McFate[/MENTION], just in general I think it's very reasonable to take into account the other side of things.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey state (supposing you're still around), what exactly do you mean by "let them eat cake"? Do you mean something like, "Oh f#ck, I'm just going to let them believe whatever they want to believe"?

i'm guessing you remember it as the famous marie antoinette line. when i say it, i mean it in a way that also speaks to my own disconnect, at times, which is most relevant on complex differences, rather than simple information. it's pointing back to me, too. to be able to do it once, is one thing. to be able to do it three or four times, and do so in a way that a piece of me can branch off to truly observe what is happening so that i can lead the way, well, it requires the whole of me, a lot of time, and an opportunity to do so that it is very difficult for me to feel like i'm actually fully in control of anyway. it's particularly relevant for deep, deep Ni work.

i'm guessing that with non-aspie intjs, they figure out how to do this much more constructively than i do. i'm assuming that most are able to more efficiently marshal resources and establish a clearer method for showing the verification of their experience in some sort of meaningful, outlined kind of way. if nothing else, it's certainly more direct. if Te is well-functioning in boiling down the degree of complexity to the appropriate level, and if the person has realistic goals for achieving a sense of veracity, observations are linked in a more linear process. regardless of the method of verification, whether it is more of a tangible, methodological, sequential one, or a more kind of abstract, sprawling, meant to be embodied and tacitly understood poetic one, it doesn't really work without Fi/Ti. the process needs F for relating and recognizing how something is received, how it lands, what it is like qualitatively, just like it needs T for formalizing enough, for constructing to a degree of specificity and structured objectiveness to constrain how one can experience it, to make an efficient, clearly informative message. defining objectives is really the crucial role here.

i also know that as a 5, i try to operate on scopes too big to be truly effective when communicating. part of this is simply headstrongness and a difficulty, at times, motivating myself to truly FOCUS. i'm sure this challenge for me plays into how i interpret my own experience for myself and for others. i'm sure that my tension with this is especially difficult to work with skillfully when i don't recognize my emotional needs and how those are playing into what i am saying, what i am doing, what i want in terms of how others receive what i do. i like sprawl, but at times i need to do a bit better job taking ownership when mental sprawl isn't meeting my own needs.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

o_O How do you know without actually ASKING your mother if she truly liked the music. Or how do you know whether someone else is incapable of "getting" whatever idea you have? Too many assumptions seriously. I'd prefer to figure out if the assumption is actually true.

Also you mention that you could have continued to yell louder each time if you really wanted to get the point (the name) across to your mother. But you didn't do that because it wasn't classical music. So it means it wasn't only her fault that she didn't hear the name right if we must resort to fault finding.

Haha +1! I mean I don't specifically mean to say this about [MENTION=7842]Z Buck McFate[/MENTION], just in general I think it's very reasonable to take into account the other side of things.

I don't think I ever presume it's entirely the other person, and actually assume it's my own shortcoming more often than not- as I first alluded to here (the bolded, and especially the underlined):

The point I was trying to make is that sometimes it's not worth the effort. Sometimes communication is more work than it's worth, that doesn't mean there's anyone to 'blame'.

eta, about the bolded line: Really? It's unreasonable to make an assumption about what kind of music someone likes after having just lived with them for 20 years?

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think I ever presume it's entirely the other person, and actually assume it's my own shortcoming more often than not- as I first alluded to here (the bolded, and especially the underlined)

Yeah I remember you talking about this sort of stuff before where you explained how you try to understand the other person's viewpoint

The point I was trying to make is that sometimes it's not worth the effort. Sometimes communication is more work than it's worth, that doesn't mean there's anyone to 'blame'.

Guess it depends on motivation... I'm way too patient for my own good in attempting communication :)

eta, about the bolded line: Really? It's unreasonable to make an assumption about what kind of music someone likes after having just lived with them for 20 years?

Yep :) to me :)

This is the sort of thing I absolutely don't make judgments on :D Like, preferences can be totally irrational so it's certainly possible that someone doesn't like X but likes Y for god knows what reason, even though Y shares some traits with X (but of course is not the exact same thing as X or it would be called X right :p ) It's also possible that someone's tastes change, they start to like something for some reason that they didn't before.

Btw did you see my previous reply to you? I guess you didn't get the time yet to respond?