• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introverted intuition

Alea_iacta_est

I remember trying to solve a math problem once. I walked up to the prof, and as I formulated how I would present my problem, the solution just struck me.

It was almost as if by projecting the thought I primed the right nodes in my mind to recall the information.

I told a lengthy story the other day, a recantation of Jung's, and this is about in line with what Jung spoke of when he referenced intuition.

But I would still like to maintain we are speaking of the function, not the intuitive type.

Then would you perhaps elucidate what you have gathered Ni to be?

Interestingly, from a function archetype standpoint, those who use Ni should seem to have the subliminal and subconscious association to children to you, an Ni-tertiary user. With the regular inflation-deflation of it, one might hypothesize that you become self-confident in it and then wane to self-consciousness.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting about the actual psychological flow, though I do not believe that to be the case in my first example, as I was consciously searching for a solution to no avail until it became apparently obvious out of nowhere, as if it had simply appeared as a quick, easy solution.

This happens to everyone. Perfectly normal. Actually the trick to elicit this is to stop any kind of conscious thinking.

Now you'd ask why that works - I don't know. Lol.

Though yes, it can still happen while searching for the solution consciously.

I remember trying to solve a math problem once. I walked up to the prof, and as I formulated how I would present my problem, the solution just struck me.

It was almost as if by projecting the thought I primed the right nodes in my mind to recall the information.

Or just that the nodes finally worked out a solution by that time. Especially as you no longer had your attention directly on trying to solve the problem.

But I would still like to maintain we are speaking of the function, not the intuitive type.

Mhmm makes sense.

Live with the flow, baby.

Hahhah

W

WALMART

Then would you perhaps elucidate what you have gathered Ni to be?

Thinking-Fast-and-Slow-1.jpg

Thinking fast.

W

WALMART

Or just that the nodes finally worked out a solution by that time. Especially as you no longer had your attention directly on trying to solve the problem.

I find it coincidental then, that as I opened my mouth to explain my lack of comprehension, it slammed into my mind, to the point where I had to shift the breath I was uttering into a pleased, "nevermind".

I am not fond of coincidence, you may see.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I find it coincidental then, that as I opened my mouth to explain my lack of comprehension, it slammed into my mind, to the point where I had to shift the breath I was uttering into a pleased, "nevermind".

I am not fond of coincidence, you may see.

That must've been a cool experience. No idea if it was a coincidence.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yes, this phenomenon is well documented. It can be called "expertise".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

The ability does not make an Ni type. Same at you, [MENTION=20757]solipsists[/MENTION].

Yeah, my explanation was poor. There isn't much reflection/epiphany since there are no pauses. It does involve a gathering of data, simulation of what is likely to unfold, and highlighting of the most advantageous path, which are things I associate with Ni. Would it be reasonable to assert flow precedes and fosters epiphany?

This is usually attributed to Se. :shrug:

Epic post. This is a can of worms I don't really feel like opening, but I'll say seeing strategic implications of players' positioning at certain times on the clock is more what I meant. Would you consider that Ni?

W

WALMART

Ni is thinking fast?

I've heard the exact same statement about Se.

Lol these functions.

It can be, Jung says that when an extraverted sensor has sensed, all important is said and done.

I take that to mean Se has a "wait and see" type attitude towards existence, and that can be considered as not thinking at all. But at least, it is even moreso measured than Thinking, for Thinking seeks rationale, and rationale is not (perhaps never) foolproof.

Yeah, my explanation was poor. There isn't much reflection/epiphany since there are no pauses. It does involve a gathering of data, simulation of what is likely to unfold, and highlighting of the most advantageous path, which are things I associate with Ni. Would it be reasonable to assert flow precedes and fosters epiphany?

I believe states of flow can be critical for fostering a pleasant attitude, the most fruitful thoughts budding from a pleasant attitude.

See: hyperfocus.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Epic post. This is a can of worms I don't really feel like opening

Well haha I know. ;)

but I'll say seeing strategic implications of players' positioning at certain times on the clock is more what I meant. Would you consider that Ni?

Thinking ahead? That's more easily associated with Ni yeah, based on whatever I read so far.

It can be, Jung says that when an extraverted sensor has sensed, all important is said and done.

I take that to mean Se has a "wait and see" type attitude towards existence, and that can be considered as not thinking at all. But at least, it is even moreso measured than Thinking, for Thinking seeks rationale, and rationale is not (perhaps never) foolproof.

Sorry just one question, "measured" is used in what sense? Can you rephrase that, "it is even moreso measured than Thinking"? Thanks.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I believe states of flow can be critical for fostering a pleasant attitude, the most fruitful thoughts budding from a pleasant attitude.

See: hyperfocus.

Ohh god. "Hyperfocus on a certain subject can cause side-tracking away from assigned or important tasks.". Oh yes, one of the gods of procrastination. :p

I guess this is no longer related to Ni in any way though.

W

WALMART

Sorry just one question, "measured" is used in what sense? Can you rephrase that, "it is even moreso measured than Thinking"? Thanks.

A sense type surmises that only through sensation can a situation be accurately perceived.

It contributes to their highly mechanical/objective relation to the universe. This is a set of dualities I cannot reduce: scientists - sensors or intuitors? Of course, this can be resolved: rational types!

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A sense type surmises that only through sensation can a situation be accurately perceived.

It contributes to their highly mechanical/objective relation to the universe.

OK.

This is a set of dualities I cannot reduce: scientists - sensors or intuitors? Of course, this can be resolved: rational types!

Not sensors? o_O

...Btw which kind of science? Hard science, soft science? Very different.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That thin slices thing, it sort of sounds like a way of judging, the wikipedia article even uses the word judge. I understang with jungian theory it's not judging but quite honestly this use of terminology is very confusing. If you make an initial assessment and are instantly convinced it's correct, that's a judgement in my book. How in Jung's view could it not be a judgement?

Because that was not Jung's view. Jung used "rational" & "irrational" to distinguish what MBTI calls "judging" and "perceiving". This is because Jung focused on the ego, the dominant function, whereas Myers uses the J/P dichotomy to refer to the extroverted function, with the idea it influences the appearance of the outer personality (so IxxPs are "perceiving" types despite having a "judging" aka "rational" function as their dominant).

Myers changed the terms because "irrational" has insulting connotations & because J & P are really referring to Je & Pe (extroverted functions, not Ji or Pi). Je does look more like a decisive mentality. Pe really does look like a more exploratory mentality. But when you get to Ji & Pi, it's not so clear, IMO. I think "rational" suits Ji better than "judging". And let's face it - "judging" has negative connotations nowadays too. Irrational is not really a great descriptor for any type; although I think the idea of accepting contradictions as part of reality gets hinted at with that term, and so it does provide insight into what perceiving mentalities can be like.

So in Jung's view, a rational type uses lines of reasoning to come to a conclusion. A perceiving type "sees" or is "aware" of things, be it objects or concepts. That certainly can be a conclusion or judgement.
I agree that what these Ni-dom describe sounds like a form of judgment. It's part of what constitutes the "J mentality" in MBTI. Pi is paired with Je & together they form "J personalities" as far as outward behavior goes. This is also why socionics is WRONG :p .

Internally, they may not experience it as judgement, hence the hesitancy to not express it until it's more of a justifiable conclusion (?). But they do seem to experience it as a reality, which has implied judgement even if they detach it from being their own mind's conclusion. It's like looking at an object, say a blue coffee mug, and noting it is blue. You wouldn't say you are judging it is blue, as you don't experience your mind as reasoning over it, but still you assigning a judgement category. It seems to me that Pi-dom have a way of "seeing" in their own mind that is just like the Se types sees the object & really comes to an immediate conclusion that it is XYZ. It is reality to them not a choice... and in being unquestioned, it's really a judgment of sorts of what is real & what is not.

But that's also why IxxPs may find vocalized thoughts taken as judgements when they are explorations - because of the prevalent Je mentality. I may hesitate less than an IxxJ because my mentality is not to order things outwardly, so it doesn't occur to me a verbalized thought is seen as a judgment; this especially gets INxPs in trouble sometimes :p. Also, INxPs may question whether or not what is "seen" is undeniably there :p.

What's so exotic about Se to you?! :) I'm curious.

It's just less familiar to me.

Isn't everyone "blank" internally? o_O

OK, sure, I know some people are pretty verbal. Me, I'm not verbal much. When I think it's usually in a non-coded way, not coded in words, not coded in images. You could call it blank, sure. Though I don't think I'm Ni-dom or Si-dom. I sometimes like to test people by asking them "can you think without words?" :) Some people will say NO, some will say yes. Lol so funny, the differences you can discover about people's minds.

Um, no.... My mind is pretty colorful & "populated". I'm a visual thinker & I have an inner dialogue too. I can think without words, for sure, in visuals or formless abstraction. I don't consider the latter to be "blank".

Werebudgie

I want my account deleted
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5

Thank you! That really clarifies for me what you mean.

I’m not sure what you mean by “Ni/Ni-Se perception”, but the bolded resonates. If you can get your hands on a copy of his book, I think you’d really like it. It’s a quick read- took me maybe 3 or 4 days. [I'm going to have to read through that^ again a couple times, to see if I can understand what you're getting at.]

I am a big fan of the public library system and am sure I can get my hands on it at some point.

Do you mean specifically within this forum? Or just in general? I do think I've always felt a push within myself to make sure I'm making sense (as others have already described).

I see it in general, meaning in the cultural system in which I live (I live in the US, which I see as in many ways a cultural child of Europe at its core) overall. Certainly in this forum, but I don't think it's specific to here. The general/cultural pattern I see is a actually two-sided coin: on one side, Ni is trivialized, devalued etc, on the other side it is exotified and mystified/New-Age-ified. Both are routes to distortion and they work together somehow.

You know, the funny thing is- in the first chapter (or introduction, can’t remember) Gladwell states something along the lines of “…and I’ll show you when you can trust this initial impression and when you should doubt it…” I clearly remember thinking, “Yeah, right.” I’ve always been very dubious of the whole ‘trust initial impression’ shtick because there’s little I hate more than someone imposing their half-assed beliefs on me. And it smacked of the usual ‘self help’ tone that I usually have an aversion to (so much of it just sounds so airy-fairy to me). But the thing is- he explained it REALLY well. Lol. I wish I had a copy of the book to refer to right now, so that I could try to paraphrase some of the things he said.

Thanks for the heads-up, that first bit might irritate me as well (I tend not to appreciate the self-help/airy-fairy tone either.) Will pass over that to the good stuff.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's because of the open-endedness of Ni.

It can go anywhere, be anything, is always open for new information, an entire reinterpretation.

As someone who comes from an all SJ household, I can assure you, Si is mind-bogglingly simplistic next to Ni.

Same goes for Ne and Se. And that's not even a value judgment. I love Se. Some times. But it is undeniably more simplistic than Ne.

(and then you come to realize the functions don't simply work solo)

I agree with the open endedness, and reinterpretation part.

Context, context, context! So important.

But I have seemed to gather that all of the introverted functions are just more complex than the extroverted ones in a general sense.

Thus making Fi no more "mind boggling" than Ti. I find that if one compares Si to Ni, there is still a subjectivity that is out of grasp. (Of course I'm assuming you know that too...but it could just be the way you have used the word mind-boggling. It gives the sense that there's no comparison at all, when there is. I'd say understanding Si is at least half of understanding Ni.) <---This may be a possibe a way to describe Ni actually. If I were to interpret the word mind-boggling in a literal fashion, I could be discounting what you've said entirely. But I don't do that often with people cause I know what they mean. I understand the bigger picture that they're trying to convey. Leaving more room for interpretation of the word mind-boggling and therefore giving it more context. (Just as a simplistic example :p)

I myself have spent decades erring on the "don't accept Ni/Ni-Se information I perceive as true until I and others can observe it in the external world" side, and am at the point where I have decided that for me, the cost of such a practice is now too high to continue it. I do wonder how many of us who are Ni-doms have decided to err on the side of default initial distrust of our own perception because of how non-Ni-doms respond when we speak or act directly from that space.

I really like your post.

I always dismiss the information. And I'm starting to realize one of the reasons is because I just don't sit still long enough to let things come to me. But I also have to think everything through. Everything must have evidence. I have been trying to let myself trust it more though. I find it to be difficult. :/

The orientation leads to a tendency to try to tip things over in an attempt to figure out what's "really" going on. Sometimes, that orientation digs deep and finds gold beneath the surface; at other times, it mistakes dirt and gravel for gold.

This ^ is so good.

But I distrust it. And refuse to mistake dirt for gold.

I think Fe actually pushes me to ignore it when/where I can’t effectively explain it- for the reason Hard mentioned (credibility) but also because the urge to be fair often overrides the urge to give it much weight where I can't effectively explain it.

I relate.

Yes, this phenomenon is well documented. It can be called "expertise".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

The ability does not make an Ni type. Same at you, [MENTION=20757]solipsists[/MENTION].

What I think is really kool though, is that the flow for each type is different.

I have watched Ni doms play Reach compared to Se and Si doms, and they all have a different flow. (I'm lacking in Ne doms in my life, so I don't know what it looks like for them.)

It's difficult to describe by writing it, but Ni even visually looks less reaction-based than Se. (I dated an Ni dom for over 6 years, and an Se dom for 4....we played A LOT of Halo. But the Ni dom almost always beat everyone, hands down.)

Not that any of that is real data or anything....but I am just saying that visually....their flow even looks different. Just thought it was interesting. :)

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But I have seemed to gather that all of the introverted functions are just more complex than the extroverted ones in a general sense.

Is this true? The way I have come to view introverted vs extroverted functions is that introverted ones are more mysterious to the outside observer. It's happening on the inside and is unique to the individual using it, so people have a hard time understanding. That doesn't mean it's more complex, just more mysterious and less apparent.

Also, introverted functions tend to be more linear. This is probably largely because of the rapidly changing nature of the external world when compared to ones internal thoughts. We can much better control the diversions that take place in our heads than we can all the new stimuli we're constantly bombarded with on the outside. That makes extroverted functions quicker, farther reaching in multiple directions, and their complexity is found in the sheer amount of different factors and options it can hold and process at a given time. Their divergent, far-reaching energy shouldn't be interpreted as simplicity.

This leads into introverted functions being more linear. They're able to build upon one or a few choice tracks of thought over long periods of time. They're slower moving, more concentrated energy. Sure, maybe over time, there's a point at which an introverted function has been pruned and developed for so long that it surpasses the extroverted functions' capacity for information held at a given time, but for the most part, I'd argue that it's the linear, concentrated nature of introverted functions paired with their somewhat hidden nature that makes them seem more complex.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
*nods* makes sense. But at the same time ... if I understand it correctly, Ne also has a "perceive and go with the flow" quality that's like the other side of the coin. (the metaphor of currents flowing like on a river and perceiving or following them somehow). In feel, it seems like it's a similar kind of thing as the Ni blankness but just from some other angle or something. Same category, different specifics. I could be wrong. eta: or maybe its more of a mirror image: Ni combines blankness and active approach to action, Ne combines flooding and passive approach to action. Or maybe neither of these things.

The more I read of Ni, the more I see it...